Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1000 Point Grey Knights Army

+7
NemesisForce
Grimhack
Zealadin
The Acolyte
Aubec le noir
Nausaden
DarkRonin
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

1000 Point Grey Knights Army Empty 1000 Point Grey Knights Army

Post by DarkRonin Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:24 am

Hello everyone,
I've recently just started 40k and ended up choosing Daemonhunters as my army of choice simply because of the Grey Knights. And after reading various threads on the site, I decided to see how my own first attempt at a list will fare.

HQ
Brother-Captain
Psycannon
Icon of the Just
Master-crafted force
Hammerhand
Terminators (4 + Psycannon)

Troops
Grey Knights (7 + Incinerator)
Justicar (MC Force)

Grey Knights (7 + Incinerator)
Justicar (MC Force)

Heavy Support
Grey Knights Dreadnought
TLLC + ML
Extra Armor

What I'm planning on them at least is simply to have a mobile fire base from the BC to take advantage of Shrouding with the Psycannon since the max range of shrouding if they roll well enough is 36 inches which is the max for the Psycannon. More or less be kitting of course with him, but also providing cover fire for my knights alongside the Dreadnought with its Anti-tank action. This is all that I have at the moment. It should also be noted that I just started with my friend who's putting together his own CSM force.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

1000 Point Grey Knights Army Empty Re: 1000 Point Grey Knights Army

Post by Nausaden Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Very nice core Brother Ronin! I suggest altering some things a bit, such as giving your HQ sacred incense *-1 to all Chaos initiative*. It looks very much like mine when I started; my friend did the same thing with CSM's.

One thing to remember of course is that your Dreadnought will be attracting a lot of attention, and your going to want to of course maneuver your PAGK about and avoid assaults till your confident the other squads have been whittled down enough. If your foe is privy on psychic powers, I suggest a psychic hood for your Brother Captain, as our Aegis dosent really cut it against some of the nastier powers.

You might want to consider giving your GKD a Hunter killer missile, when you want something very much dead and its hiding away *a Defiler, perhaps*. May the Emperor's word be with you against the foes of humanity.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Thank you Brother, but I am not at all worried about Psychic powers from him anytime soon. I'm more concerned with his Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor and a Daemon Weapon coupled along with the Mark of the Liar (Tzeentch). So it's a shooting weapon now that could be a liability. But he simply bought the Battle Force along with a Predator which has a TLLC and two Heavy Bolters for sponsons. The other concerns are basically his Berserkers, and the single Predator. I'm confident that I can widdle them down quite a bit.

And thank you for your advice about the Sacred Incense, I was considering it, but wasn't sure if it ruled with CSM anyway due to the various conflicts that the DH codex against the newer codexs including Chaos Daemons. I'll see how I can work that out.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Glad to hear; I have had to face many Zerker armies before. Just be sure to keep out of their range and they are harmless. That lord will go down to your BC and his retinue, as long as you strike before him. Hence, Sacred essence Very Happy

Let us know how your game with him goes!
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:30 pm

I don't know if this would help a bit, but I was wondering if it would make much difference in the grand scheme of things with the layout of the list. I decided that I should probably break the squads down from two to three, forcing fewer wounds in total for each group of course but more flexibility overall in terms of being flexible with the and flow of the battle. To do this, I would be eliminating the incinerators of course from the game plan. So the force would look a bit like the following now, but still the same old HQ (Minus the MC Force) and Heavy Support.

Troop
Justicar (Melta Bombs)
5 Knights

Justicar (Melta Bombs)
4 Knights

Justicar (Melta Bombs)
4 Knights

Of course I know that I've just eliminated the Master-crafted weapons from the units, but I'm seeing this as a way to get more shots and Strength 6 attacks out there once the wall of Berserkers hits home or better yet, out flank them by hitting them from three respective sides now along with the BC's retinue and the Dreadnought.

I'm of course simply thinking of pummeling everything before the clash with 38 Storm Bolter rounds plus 6 Psycannon rounds for a total of 44 shots once optimal range has been reached.

This is all in the hopes of actually maneuvering properly to direct fire at different parts.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:22 am

Well we finally had our game last night (Postponed due to papers being due). And I'd have to say that we tied that one while I ended up on top in the second one right after that.

Game One - Capture and Control (Spearhead)
He had the first shots and blew a GKT right away with a Lascannon from his Predator which was armed with a havoc launcher. On my first turn, that Predator was popped from the Dread.

For the rest of the game it was slow and methodical with each of us taking pop shots left and right at each other. We ended up tying in this game since he's Chaos Lord in Terminator armor was by my Point and I couldn't chase him off with my Dread in close combat (He deep striked behind him my Dreadnaught and caused him to Shaken with the mark of tzeentch daemon weapon attack). I did this to prevent him from doing much in my back lines since the biggest threat was removed. It remained as a stalemate for more or less for the rest of the game with his Rhino not moving up with berserkers, but kept it as a firing base for a havoc launcher along with the pintle mounted bolter it had. I didn't lose any knights at all, only three Terminators. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fully make my way to his objective all the way in the back. The table was pretty long. The only reason why that we tied, was because he didn't move his CSM squad back onto it.

Game Two - Annihilation (Dawn of War)
This time around, after seeing how much of a fail the dread is in CC, I dropped the ML for the DCCW Incinator combo arm that i have. Suffice to say that it didn't see CC at all. I also dropped the terms for another Dread, and fielded three incinerators to make up for it. The other Dread had a MM and a DCCW Storm bolter combo. Neither Dread saw CC, and nor did there weapons do much. In the second game my friend dropped his Predator for two Obliterators.

I also turned one PAGK squad into a FAGK. This helped a bit since it was straight up beat the shit out of each other. Since I deepstriked them to the side of his CSM squad and Rhino that he had parked in the middle. I'd just have to say that I got a crap load of good Storm Bolter shots in this time around compared to before in the first game. And the only three assaults happened with one squad of three knights assualted an Obliterator that took a wound from a storm bolter that came from the Dread with the MM, the MM failed to wound him...

The others involved my FAGK squad softening up his 2nd Obliterator that Deep striked near his Rhino before they assaulted. And then the same squad at 4 Knights remaining from it's initial strength, lost about 3 before, decimated the Rhino in CC where the Dreads couldn't Penetrate the Armor (really bad rolls here).

Overall, I'd have to say that my first two games with Grey Knights went well, but i do see things that could be improved upon.

All I have to say now is...

...REPENT FOUL BLASPHEMOUS WORSHIPER OF THE RUINOUS POWERS!!! AND PRAISE THE EMPEROR FOR YOUR SALVATION FOR IT WILL NOT COME FROM ME!!!
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:46 am

well said brother
hope you enjoyed your games Wink
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:14 am

^__^ Glad to see your enjoying your first few games with the Knights of the Ordo Malleus!

It really is a shame about your Dreadnought; I never seem to get him in close combat either when I have him with his CCW and Incinerator.

Good to see some FAGK squads being used; they are ludicrously expensive for what they do but they can do it well.

Running such small squads can be painful, as in an assault they can get cut up rather quick. The benefit is at least your foe has to split his own fire, and it can add more tactical options to your play.[/url]
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:05 pm

The FAGK choice was a spur of the moment since it's basically the same price for a Troop choice, and I had 3 Squads of PAGKs, so I moved one over there, letting my friend know ahead as well. We both made some tweaks after our initial game.

Also the one time that my Dread saw CC, he had an ML, and it caused him to basically tickle the Chaos Lord (Terminator Armor), which more or less caused me to not be able to hold my own point. And in the 2nd game, since it was Dawn of War, they started off the edge, not much of a difference, but it was late game and he didn't DS his Lord next to my dread again (the best he could have done was a glancing hit on its rear with the daemon weapon shot attack).

Either way, Dreads are awesome
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Agreed; Dreads ARE awesome Very Happy

In fact, a tad off topic, but I just got back from a 1000 point game were my Dreadnought literally won it for me.

A nasty close combat force of Black Templars vs my Grey knight Strike force. It looked great early on, and I targeted his Dread and blew off an arm. I even killed the Emperors Champion with massed storm bolters, but I was oh so foolish to have my Grandmaster and retinue get caught up in a fight against a Venerable Dreadnought. He didn't have Hammerhand, so I had to roll 6's to glance. Plus, he made me re-roll most of the successful strikes. So it took almost the entire retinue to bring it down; and they were swarmed by Crusader squads.

However, my last unit, a Dreadnought, took down 3 entire squads on his own. He finished off a Chaplain, as well as amazingly surviving two squads of Crusaders with power fists and slaying them all.

But no need to prattle on, the short of it is that a Dreadnought can be nigh unstoppable if one uses LOS well and has him cut down squads that can't even scrape his paint job.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:37 am

Aye, I learned that pretty well in the game against my friend. I didn't realize that his Lord, his 2nd best unit in his army couldn't scratch the paint job in CC. Though, he now does have Kharn, so that'll be problematic, but of course through the power of faith, and a shit load of storm bolters, I'm sure that I'll be able to take him down.

I just can't wait to get the FW GK Dread, it'll be awesome.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:01 am

and shoot him well cause he's nearly impossible to take down in cc except (maybe) with your GM
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:08 am

"through the power of faith, and a shit load of storm bolters, I'm sure that I'll be able to take him down."
1000 Point Grey Knights Army Lol

Thats the spirit!!! 1000 Point Grey Knights Army Icon_biggrin
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 100
Army : Grey Knights of course

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:30 pm

I've faced Kharn on several occasions, and let me assure you that I've had him struck down each time Very Happy *Despises that overpowered model*.

Shooting him is good, but don't let him distraction you from the rest of his army. If your massed stormbolters don't cut him down, as he will undoubtedly be with a squad of Berzerker meatshields, a Grandmaster and retinue with Sacred incense CAN defeat him in combat. I know, I've done it before. Still, you shouldn't count on it all the time, soften them up.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:14 pm

Nausaden makes a good point there: dont just focus on him. He is only one model even though he is pretty good. If say you focus all of your fire onto him for one turn it gives the rest of his forces a 'free pass' for that turn.
I have also vsed kharn a few times and each time he has not made a massive difference to the game at all. A GM with scared insence and a few add ons is easily the match for him.
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:55 am

so is my opinion : a GM is always a good idea for a GK army (more than a BC) even if he's expensive Wink
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:46 am

Brother Aubec i find that i agree with you somewhat. When used effectively a Grandmaster can cause a great deal of trouble for the enemy. But when used ineffectively or when you are just unlucky he can be a big waste of around 200 points.
I used to never leave home without my grandmaster but now i tend to lean towards a brother captain with a psycannon. Just my personal opinion
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:13 am

Which Upgrades would you suggest along with the Sacred Incense to face off against Captain Kharn of the 8th Assault Company of the World Eaters Legion?
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:39 am

against Kharn and his mates i'd say : everything you can get : psycannon of course, mastercrafted weapon, icon of the just and so on...
by the way i'll ask some question about MCW
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:54 am

Its a relative choice, depending on who and what you play.
I also prefer a BC with Psycannon, or a CC orientated BC for extra punch in a LR mounted PAGK squad, and I do have trouble accepting the cost of a GM for his abilities. Only his NFW makes up for it in the end, and its not -that- reliable.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:59 am

Well, here's another Army List, but this one is most foot slogging then anything else. No dreadnoughts or land raiders, just straight up Infantry Goodness.

HQ – Grey Knights Hero
-Grand Master Aiden
- Master-crafted Nemesis Force HAMMER!!!
- Sacred Incense
- Icon of the Just
- Psychic Powers
- Holocaust
Elites – Grey Knight Terminators
- Brother-Captain Cael
- Psycannon
- Psychic Powers
- Holocaust
- 4x Grey Knight Terminators
- Psycannon
- Psychic Powers
- 1x Holocausts

Troops – Grey Knights
- Justicar
- Master-Crafted NFW
- Melta Bombs
- Frag Grenades
-6x Grey Knights

Troops – Grey Knights
- Justicar
- Master-Crafted NFW
- Melta Bombs
- Frag Grenades
-6x Grey Knights

Probably not that solid of a list overall, but my opponent actually doesn't use his Predator anymore, favoring more on his Obliterators which he depends on deep striking most of the time. They only fouled up me up once (Took out one of three dreads in a triple dread list at 1000 Points, 1 GM plus multiple squads of ISTs XD). He uses his Rhino more then his actual Predator, and it has a Havoc Launcher and a Twin-linked Bolter. I'm not that worried about it since it normally fails to do much from previous engagements, and I'm planning on getting stuck in pretty early on to deny his havoc launcher, and to actually get some practice with Psychic abilities in.

Last edited by DarkRonin on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:13 am

no vehicles ??
and why Artificier armour for your justicars ??
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimhack Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:32 am

I'd rather give my justicar master crafted NFW instead of artificier armour to be honest.
Grimhack
Grimhack
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 684
Army : Daemonhunters
Registration date : 2009-11-20

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Well my reasoning for no vehicles is based on how the extra fire power wouldn't really be needed since it's a Rhino that he uses the most as a cheap fire base. Effective fire base, i can surely say that it falls short, but it's what he uses. As for Artificer Armor, I actually forgot about Master-Crafting and the cost so I'll make the adjustments (Same as Artificer).
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:39 pm

Looks a lot like how I used to make my list; but your Terminators are taking up so many points that you cannot push in a Dreadnought. Also, so much wargear! I love all the sweet stuff as much as any other Justicar, but by dropping it you can try to get a 3rd squad or beef up your two small PAGK squads. Albeit 7 man squads seem to work perfectly as they are.

At the end though, you know what foes you regularly face, and as thus your list will be most effective depending on how you play/what opponent you play. I would suggest playing around with the large Termie squads to give yourself more leverage, but playtesting that list will help point out any faults.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content