1000 Point Grey Knights Army

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1000 Point Grey Knights Army

Post by Grimhack on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:22 am

Actually, the past months I've always been rolling so pathetic for my justicars that I always gave them mastercrafted weapons, makes them really deadly because even if you roll bad, you can usually still have 1 hit.

Grimhack
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 683
Army : Daemonhunters
Registration date : 2009-11-20

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin on Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:07 am

Well, I did come up with a list comprised of three Dreads, two TLLC/Incinerators, one MM/Stormbolter, and a Grand Master. It was filled with ISTs. It's a fun list, since it was the first time that I had a chance to use my ISTs, but surprisingly, my Dreads couldn't do much in the way of killing. Game ended up as a Draw (Capture and Control, Spearhead), but I lost more units then I killed his.

Though it may not be normal fluff wise, but I felt that only taking a GM, and three Dreads fit for the situation.

DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:57 pm

Hmm... that list failed spectacularly. Game ended in two turns only because my friend bombarded my Terminators and GM with Obliterators that he didn't deep strike for once. Those Plasma Cannons hurt like hell. After that, my PAGK's couldn't do much because they would have been seriously cut down as well.

Well, after that game, I finally feel like I should try to utilize a Grey Knights Land Raider. Sadly, I don't have a Land Raider, only a Land Raider Crusader which I will gladly attempt to abuse to ferry my Grey Knights into the faces of my foes. Never again will I make a pure infantry list for the Grey Knights.

Though not is all lost, from this I have learned and decided to try my hand at making a list involving a Land Raider as I've said above.

List A:

HQ - Brother Captain
- Psycannon

Troops - Grey Knights
- Justicar
- 7 Grey Knights
- 1 Incinerator

Troops - Grey Knights
- Justicar
- 7 Grey Knights
- 1 Incinerator

Heavy Support - Grey Knights Dreadnought
- TLLC
- Extra Armor
- Incinerator
- Smoke

Heavy Support - Grey Knights Land Raider Crusader

And List B:

HQ Grey Knights Hero
- Grand Master
- Psycannon
- Icon of the Just

Troops Grey Knights
- Grey Knight Justicar
- 5x Grey Knights

Troops Grey Knights
- Grey Knights Justicar
- 4x Grey Knights

Troops Grey Knights
- Grey Knights Justicar
- 4x Grey Knights

Heavy Support Grey Knights Land Raider Crusader

Of course both lists are incomplete as of now, but since I haven't attempted to use a Land Raider before, especially a Crusader before. I've seen lists before with Land Raiders, but I also really like the Grand Master, so I'm unsure of how to approach this. I can see myself dropping one small squad for a Dreadnought but at the same time, I'd be making my troops smaller.

That may work, but I'd like your opinions on how I should probably tweak either of these lists.

DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:51 pm

I always play the 'Thin Grey Line' when my opponents have long range templates. No bunching or double-lines. LR's or lascannons are definitely the most effective way to take out Oblits at range.

NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:42 pm

LR's really provide alot of protection agianst cheese armies despite people getting upset about them, definately worth their cost.

I don't know why you would chose a MC-NFW over Artificer armour however, its a single reroll vs increased survivability, but then it does depend how you play :p

Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:48 pm

When you mean 'Thin Grey Line' you mean keep them spread out to take advantage of the 2 inch max distance between models within the same squad?

DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:35 pm

I know how you feel Brother Ronin; template weapons that are Ap2 suck!

At least you have gained valuable experience from it, I wish our guys were not so expensive so we could have more squads of GK instead of sacrificing them for a Dread/Landraider, as those are real helpful.

Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimhack on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:51 am

Well zealadin, I choose a mc-nfw over artificer because I generally roll bad with my justicars. For some reason I ALWAYS miss at least 2 of 3 attacks which is such a shame for him... so with a master crafted weapon this usually goes up to 2 hits, usually resulting to 2 kills instead of 1.

Grimhack
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 am

i think it's a good choice too
Aubec pirat

Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3657
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:08 pm

DarkRonin: yes, I always try spread my guys to the 2" max if possible much to the amusement of my opponents. If maxed and you don't double line, the plasma cannon can only cover two models a shot. I know this has saved me countless casualties over time. Even if I'm trying to take advantage of a small terrain piece for cover saves I leave guys hanging out instead of bunching them all into it. Sometimes I need a wake-up call though. Two games ago I 'bunched', not really fearing the Whirlwind my opponent had. He proceeded to wound in his first shot 6 of 8 of which I failed all but one 3+ save.

NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Thank you Brother Nemesisforce, I should give it a shot more often when I know that my opponent is using such devastating weapons if my Grey Knights are out in the open.

Though, over the few months that I have been learning the game, a decent tactic that I've read about is using a Land Raider (any and all) as mobile cover for units. By doing so, you provide cover and deny line of sight. One person who works at the shop I frequent told me this:

One time he was playing with a triple or dual raider list and used the raiders as covers as he moved up his bikes behind them. Even though the raiders were wasted, the bikes closed in and finished the job once within range thanks to the Raiders.

Anyway, after careful revision and knowledge that I'll be up against the Sisters of Battle this Thursday, I think that I shall propose a list that I feel might do well, but after careful consideration, the only thing that I'd really have to worry about myself from the Sisters as far as vehicles go would be Exorcists tanks. So I'm now thinking of leaning towards multiple dreads (2 at most), but this will also get me to use my Crusader which has been sitting around for a while.

HQ - Grand Master
- Psycannon
- Master Crafted NFW
- Icon of the Just

Troops - Grey Knights
- Justicar - Targeter
- 5 Grey Knights
- 1 Incinerator
Troops - Grey Knights
- Justicar - Targeter
- 5 Grey Knights
- 1 Incinerator

Heavy Support - Grey Knights Dreadnought
- TLLC
- DCCW + Incinerator
- Extra Armor
- Smoke

Heavy Support - Land Raider Crusader

What I'm thinking of doing here is get the GM into the Crusader from the start along with a squad and push up as much as I can from the outset. The Dread of course will provide the Anti-tank support that I'll need, and some extra punch if someone gets close (I cannot accept giving a dread a ML after witnessing it tickling a Chaos Lord in Terminator armor for multiple turns in which it couldn't budge it off of a point).

::EDIT::
I've tweaked the squads a bit, basically just had to drop one from the 7 man squad to open up enough space for the use of two incinerators, and now I have a few points left over. Though I'm thinking that this is more solid then before since I can jump out and cleanse the unclean with purifying flames. Thanks for the tip Brother Nausaden.

Last edited by DarkRonin on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:47 pm

Like your list a lot more now Brother Ronin! That looks like a winner Very Happy

I suggest tweaking it ever slightly, to give the smaller squad of Grey Knights *Whom I assume will be traveling with the Grand Master in the LRC?* a single Incinerator, and at only 10 points it can prove invaluable. That way, you can be burninating troops and hordes, busting out to wreak complete havoc and finishing whatever lives.

I really look forward to seeing how your list goes, with two small troops *like myself* and no Terminators, it can be an intense game that will rely on you getting to the heart of your enemy's forces and slaying their HQ and high priority targets.

Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:49 am

Very similar to my list as well except I use a BC with a Incinerator, and larger GK squads!
Defiantely a fun list to play!!!

Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:24 am

it's nearly my list except i've always prefered the Psycannon to the incinerator ... don't know i must have a dice-throwing-bad-habit ! Razz
Aubec pirat

Last edited by Aubec le noir on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Well here is the report...

The Sisters won the game, bloody Melta Guns and Eviserators won the day along with faith. Plus a Calidus single handedly wiped out a single squad. That squad how ever was avenged by the Grand Master himself with his trusty old Psycannon. Well boys, it's kinda hard to admit this, but it's back to the old drawing boards for me once again. Maybe just swap tactics and head back to good ol' dual dreads and leave the Crusader out of 1000 Point games.

DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Interesting, do you remember what his 1000 pt list was?

"Though we face the power of hell, and death is at our side, we fear not, for the Emperor is with us through it all. If we live, we live for the Emperor. If we die, we die for the Emperor. So whether we live or die, we are the Emperor's. We are Grey Knights and this is why we came to be." --Grandmaster Rivan

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." --Sun Tzu (from ancient Earth)

Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4389
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:37 pm

Yea, 2 full squads of sisters, with melta guns, evisterators, 1 canonese, one palatine, and an inquisitor with 3 heavy bolters. And one Calidus.

Mission was Capture the objective (2 Point varient), and Dawn of War.

DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimhack on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:15 am

I hate the dawn of war deployment... And it's sorry to hear about the loss of the Emperor's finest. I hope you'll get your revenge!
And I usually prefer the normal raiders above the crusaders because of their AT.

Grimhack
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir on Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:00 am

sorry to hear that Crying or Very sad
but before changing your list i suggest that you try again ... it's after 3 or 4 battles that i begin to see the forces and the weaknesses of one of my lists... scratch
Aubec pirat

Last edited by Aubec le noir on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Aubec has a good point. It's always good to stick with a list and maybe think of changing tactics instead. More than once I've been handed my ass in a game only to hand my opponent his the next.

NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey on Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:27 pm

When trying new things at low points, i've a couple of times gotten my opponent to play me 3 or so times in a row with the same list. It starts out as a massacre, but slowly it becomes more even until i feel i can win with the list!

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Very Happy Nice Brother MJS; my good friend and I have trouble facing each other a lot of them time. We are both hyper competitive, and we need to get over the anxiety and just play and have fun. Otherwise, how can we get our lists hand tailored and tweaked for the real competitive games Razz?

Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:26 am

Well after messing around with IST's for a while, I've finally came up with a list for my GK's that I feel comfortable with, one that has yet to be tested, but it just seems that way to me.

HQ - Grand Master
- Psycannon, Master Crafted NFW, Icon of the Just, Sacred Incense, Psychic Hood
- Hammerhand
Troops - Grey Knights
- Justicar - Targeter, Auspex, Melta bombs
- 7x Grey Knights - 1x Incinerator
Troops - Grey Knights
- Justicar - Targeter, Auspex, Melta bombs
- 5 Grey Knights - 2x Psycannons
Heavy Support - Grey Knights Land Raider
- Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Psycannon Bolts

Anyway, this is my list as it is now, let me know what you think and where I might be able to improve upon it.

DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by For the Emperor on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:41 am

Hey dark ronnin,

Your list is pretty solid, I like your spearhead formation though theres a few suggestions I could make.

I imagine everything will sit in your LR except your GK w/Pyscannon.

I personally would have my Gk squad w/pyscannon changed to vanilla and have them cover the rear of the LR more tightly. You'll be able to max out the squad size to 7 without the Pyscannon and possibly more if you wanted.

The Grandmaster is cool and there isn't much you can give him that doesn't become effective but be sure to think twice about how many GK's you could get without the equipment he has. Also you could think about giving your GM a Combi-melta or Incinerator which will both become effective when disembarking from the LR if not more than the Pyscannon.

As for anything else nice list and good luck! (im sooo jealous Razz)

For the Emperor
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks man, but I'll stick with my Psycannons, I enjoy the mayhem that can cause. Especially with a Master-crafted Psycannon matched up with 2 Sages (Oh yea, that pure pwnage right there). Also after that fateful match against the Sisters of Battle (I later learned that my opponent made a mistake and added another 100 points to his army, he more or less came up with it on the spot), my GM avenged my fallen knights by blasting that vile Calidus back to the whole from whence it came.

I've never used Psychic Hood before, but with the coming of actually being in a league, I felt that it was time to whip it out and give it a shot. Besides, like what I've noticed on somewhere in this forum, and after noticing that not all psychic powers will target the Grey Knights (Zoanthropes Warp Lance, and Warptime for example) and having Ld10 to stop anything will be nice).

DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:47 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top