Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pure GK Tank Buster army list - 1900 pts

5 posters

Go down

Pure GK Tank Buster army list - 1900 pts Empty Pure GK Tank Buster army list - 1900 pts

Post by DonFer Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:25 am

Hi all,

My first thread here. Hope you can help me with this build I'm trying. This one is specifically to beat heavy Tank IG army. My opponent packs lots of tanks, lascannons, multis, plasmas and even one ordenance weapon. His few troops are just lascannon artillery and troops with commanders and lots of orders. His strategy is to sit back and shoot the s*** out of my army via ranged fire. If I get too close, I can get fried by plasma/melta fire. After that I can get tons and tons of mosquito bites (hellgun fire I suppose).

I can always go and avoid CC as much as possible, trying to shoot down some of his tanks with TL Lascannons curtesy of the LRs and try to grab a win at the last minute. But this strategy is, to my eyes, not good at all. It's like trying to beat the IG army in the game it excells, and suck at it BTW. So I came up with this army but it really needs some work before the match. So I would like to ask you for your advice with it and what strategy you use/recommend in order to beat this kind of foe.

Without further ado:

HQ1: GKGM+Icon+Hammerhand
(5) Terminator Retinue, 1 Psycannon

HQ2: GK Borther Captain+Icon+Hammerhand
(5) Terminator Retinue, 1 Psycannon

ELITE: Inquisitor + Plasma Pistol
(2) Acolyte
(2) Warrior w/melta Gun

TROOPS: Justicar+Meltabombs
7 PAGK, 2 Psycannons

Justicar+Meltabombs
7 PAGK, 2 Incinerators

HEAVY: (1) LR
(1) LRC

This is the first version of this army so please excuse any mistakes.

Thanks in advance!
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Pure GK Tank Buster army list - 1900 pts Empty Re: Pure GK Tank Buster army list - 1900 pts

Post by Zealadin Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:58 am

Welcome to the forums!

Honestly I'd have to say that your best bet is a 3LR list.
The IG of list is damaging to normal armies, let alone armies that are pretty outdated.
CC will be your best bet, but getting there is problematic.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Pure GK Tank Buster army list - 1900 pts Empty Re: Pure GK Tank Buster army list - 1900 pts

Post by Rivan Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:28 am

Welcome to our forum! Very Happy

I agree w/ Brother Z. Minimum 2 LR, 3 if you want. Zoom them to the max and pop smoke. Our old style launchers will make it pretty hard for him to destroy all of them. Next turn, zoom again and you're in his face and you can ask him "how do you like them apples?"' Razz
Seriously, depending on his deployment, you can eat up his tanks in CC one after the other.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:18 am

welcome brother
imho, you're too short in troops, i understand the benefit of 2 meltas, but they are short in range, and 2/3 of the scenarios are objectives based (take or keep) so troops are paramount.
and as said before 3 LR is freaky for your opponent. Wink
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:25 am

If you really want to have a Anti-Tank Daemonhunter list, then I'd like to suggest that you take 4 Land Raiders (3 Grey Knight Land Raiders, and 1 Dedicated Transport for an Inquisitor). Of course that would be a major point sink, but ya know what, it's scarier then 3 Land Raiders and is perfectly legit since Daemonhunters can take up to SEVEN!!! Land Raiders. One for an Inquisitor Lord, three for the Elite Inquisitors, and three Grey Knight Land Raiders.

If your gonna take the Inquisitor Land Raider, your Inquisitor will have to take a retinue, so just give him a mystic and keep him in the Raider the entire time. Should prove to be MUCH better then what you have now for your Inquisitor.

For your Justicars, unless you are facing something with a Rear Armour value greater then 12, you really shouldn't bother with giving them melta bombs. It's nice and all, but there are better options to spend points on.

Also, for your HQ, you cannot take a second Grey Knight Hero (Brother-Captain or Grand Master) unless it's Brother-Captain Stern. We're only allowed to use one in any list. Either way, the Brother-Captain you have under HQ is easily an Elite choice to begin with, but you'll just have to drop Hammerhand. Though I would suggest leaving the Icon off of the Brother-Captain, he's only a single wound model and is part of a squad. You can use the points from that to give your Land Raiders some vehicle upgrades, like Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers to increase their survivability.

Hammerhand is nice, but only really good when facing Walkers or High Toughness units where your NFW will not cut it. Of all the times that I bought it, I've only ever used it once, and it was to make sure that I left the Sammael, Master of the Ravenwing, in his Speeder dead. Every other time, the NFW can easily cut down the vast majority of units and vehicles. Since your opponent is IG, it is nice to make sure those tanks are destroyed, but most of the IG Tank's Rear Armour is 10, so your attacks will be able to do lots. Also, you might want to consider bringing along a Terminator with both a Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield, it's free compared paying for Hammerhand and it automatically causes Crew Shaken results upon just hitting the tank (Better then Space Marine Thunder Hammers).
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks for the advice Brothers, I'm a little busy right now but I'll post the new list with all your suggestions later.

Thanks again you all!
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:18 pm

You can use LC/ML dreads as well.
They just don't provide the protection a LR does.

Also you don't have to go heavy on troops but it makes your army easier to play in many situations!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down