Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1000 points trial list please help

+4
Primarch
Nausaden
MJSwasey
The Acolyte
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1000 points trial list please help Empty 1000 points trial list please help

Post by The Acolyte Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:54 am

List Before Discussion
Grandmaster
-psycannon, icon of the just (200)

Grey knight squad
-Justicar, 9 PAGK, 2 incinerators (295)

Grey knight squad
-Justicar, 4 PAGK, psycannon (175)

Grey Knight Dreadnought
-Multi-Melta, extra armour, searchlight, smoke launchers (129)

Evorsor Assain (95)

Storm trooper squad
-5 ST, 2 meltaguns (70)
Chimera Transport with multi-laser and heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke lauchers (93)

987 Points (left over points would go to upgrades like meltabombs)

Updated List
Brother Captain
-psycannon,targeter (92)

Grey Knight Squad
-Justicar, 9 grey knights (280)

Grey Knight Squad
-Justicar, 4 grey knights, 2 psycannons, auspex, targeter (202)

Grey Knight Dreadnought
-Twin Linked Lascannon, extra armour. smoke launchers (138)

Inquistor (20)

Evorsor Assassin (95)

Sisters of Battle Squad
-10 Sisters of Battle, 2 meltaguns (144)
Rhino Transport
-Extra armour, smoke lauchers (58)

1000 Points

Updated Updated list

Brother Captain
-psycannon,

Grey Knight Squad
-Justicar, 9 grey knights, frag grenades

Grey Knight Squad
-Justicar, 4 grey knights, 2 psycannons, auspex, targeter

Grey Knight Dreadnought
-Twin Linked Lascannon, extra armour. smoke launchers

Inquistor Lord
-Psycannon, targetor, auspex
-Retinue: 2 heavy bolter servitors, 1 plasma cannon servitor, 1 mystic, 2 sages

Evorsor Assassin

996 Points

Any help or opinions are welcome thanks

Last edited by The Acolyte on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 100
Army : Grey Knights of course
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

1000 points trial list please help Empty Re: 1000 points trial list please help

Post by MJSwasey Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:02 am

IMO the search light is totally wasted. You have almost nothing of range that can fire first turn. but hey, its only a point.

Also, you need an inquistor to take the assassin. free up 7 points to take one if you really want that eversor.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:57 am

Do you think i should take the inquistor or change the evorsor for something?
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:37 am

I'm not gonna lie, that 5 man squad looks pretty small, i might add 4 guys to it instead of the assassain, but assassians can be REALLY powerful. perhaps if you clued us in on your gameplan it would help. Is anything deepstriking? is the GM with anyone (otherwise a stray lascannon could ruin his day!)? are you deploying full forward and rushing, taking a middle ground, or back and firing?

Out of curiosity, why the evorsor ass opposed to the other assassians?

I find if i take a small squad of GK's, its often worked out well to have 2 psycannons on the squad so i can sit them in cover near and objective and toss s6 shots around. YMMV

all and all it is a solid list, the only parts that you should even consider touching are the searchlight, assassian, second incin, and icon, and only if you want to. but you do either need an inquistor to shove with your ST or gk as an extra wound or take him out for more fun GK stuff.

Last edited by MJSwasey on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:47 pm

i have never used the evorsor before but i looked at his entry in the codex and he looks like a machine!

My rough plan is for the evorsor to infiltrate and charge first turn and attack a squad like a devorstator squad.

The 10 man squad will probably just stroll down the board unleashing general destruction. The Grandmaster may join up with this squad for part of the game.

The 5 man grey knight squad will act as a mobile fire support squad and will probably take an objective.

The Dreadnought will go tank hunting and/or support the 5 man grey knight squad.

The Stormtroopers will ride in the Chimera and search for tanks and help take objectives.
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:03 pm

Very small point game to be fielding a Grandmaster, just my kind of style Brother Acolyte! And of course welcome to our forum.

Brother MJS is right on the money; very small squads are of course vulnerable to getting picked off, and your foe will be focusing on your GM if he's off on his own. It's never fun for him to get insta killed by a melta or something.

I'd like to suggest a Vindicare assassin in this case, but I am sure that his point cost wouldn't be worth it.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:36 pm

Yeah i personally dont think the vindicare is worth it points-wise.

I normally go with the culexus and put him near my grey knights for all that s5 ap1 goodness it can dish out.

Nausaden do you have any other suggestions on list or strategy?
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:11 pm

Well, as far as tactics go, it depends on the foe your facing.

More likely then not, your going to want to get your Knights into some cover, whittle down your foes enemy squads as they come to charge you, and then try to prevent them from charging you *by assaulting them right before they are in range*. Hopefully, you'll be cutting squads down and forcing others to come to you, thanks to the Shrouding. The point is, if they are all about assaulting, then weaken them and keep yourself safe from AP2 weapons. If they are long range, move up very carefully, and try to keep out of their LOS. You of course are going to want to hunker down your Psycannon squad, as they won't do nearly as well in CC and hopefully will be dishing out a lot of Str 6 AP 4 no invuln shots *Pretty much MURDER against Dark Eldar Very Happy*. Your Incinerator squads got a lot of intimidating fire power, so be sure to keep them moving up with your GM.

With your Dreadnought, your only getting so many chances to take out heavy armor, but hopefully they'll go down. Keep him out of harms way until he accomplishes his main goal, then try to get him in the fray to keep squads from doing damage to your Knights. I'd suggest taking off that multi metal in exchange for twin linked lascannon; trust me, its worth it. You'll almost certainly always hits and destroy.

Wargear wise, that second Incinerator might be a bit too pricey. If you want, you can clip off the excess, and burly up your Grandmaster with mastercrafting on his NFW and a psyker power such as Hammerhand or Holocaust to make him fearsome. Also, if your facing psyker using foes, be sure to pack on a psychic hood on your GM to have a good shot at nullifying it.

The Stormtrooper squad seems a bit too squishy, and you can only hope that your Rhino will take a lot of the focus from your GM. You may want to try and fit some more troops in either way; or take out the stormtroopers entirely to put in larger Grey Knight squads.

I hope I proved helpful, be sure to ask if you have any more questions. Very Happy
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks Nausaden for that detailed response. It certainly helped alot!!

Yes i see what u mean 2 psycannons in the 5 man squad dishing out 6 s6 ap4 invo ignoring shots a turn definly does sound pleasing! 1000 points trial list please help Icon_biggrin

The lascannon on the dreadnought does seem like a better option.l

I think i may just keep the grandmaster as he is but for now because i dont want to splash to many points on one model but i may add holocaust for when vsing horde armies.

Your right one of the reasons i put the Stormtroopers and the Chimera in was so they would draw a bit of firepower away from my grey knights.

Again thanks for that great response!!!!

Anyone else is welcome to point out the flaws in my list 1000 points trial list please help Icon_biggrin
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Primarch Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:45 pm

You can't field an Imperial Assassin without an inquisitor

At 1000 points, although interesting, the assassin is not points effective. You need to put more bodies in your army. There are a couple things I would recommend:

- Get rid of icon of the just for your grandmaster (I know we all love an awesome commander but sometimes sacrafices must be made) and psycannon. You need all the points you can get and the GM doesn't leave you with lots of options.
- If you want a psycannon swap the GM for a BC, you will save a good deal of points, if you are going for shooting keep you BC near a PAGK squad for protection

- Ditch the assassin for a dreadnought and give one dreadnought a twin-linked lascannon and the other one a twinlinked heavy bolter (heavy bolter has better range than assault cannon and you get re-rolls to hit). Remove the multimelta because you only get 24" range and this puts it in range of AT weapons and only one shot (no re-rolls). If you have the points, get a heavy flamer for the heavy bolter dreadnought. You don't need a searchlight or smoke launchers for your dreadnoughts.

- Distribute your grey knights squads evenly 7/8 PAGK per squad, this gives you better survivability and makes your army more flexible. Remove one incinerator or the psycannon and use the points elsewhere. Although they are powerful weapons other cheaper options are available
Primarch
Primarch
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 461
Army : Grey Knights and a souless legion (crons)
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:50 pm

My pleasure to assist you Brother Acolyte.

Primarch brings up more good points; I myself shudder at stripping the Grandmaster of his lovely Psycannon and Icon of the just, but as he already is such a huge sink of points it might be for the best. I myself typically field 7-9 man squads of PAGK's, and they are certainly more effective then the bare minimum.

I still would suggest trying to fit in psycannons in your PAGK squads; namely if your facing armies with lots of 4+ saves, or if you want to have a squad hold a point and lay down a lot of heavy fire.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:31 am

Thank you for those good points Primarch and Nausaden.

I see where you are coming from Primarch and in a 1000 point game a Brother Captain may be better than the grandmaster. Maybe i could join him up with the 5 man psycannon squad.

The reason i split the squads up with 10 man in one squad and 5 man in the other is because the 5 man squad will usually probably just stay back and shoot while holding an objective.
This then means the 10 man squad can harness the full power of the 8 stormbolters in that squad as they move forward each turn.

I agree another dreadnougt would be awsome but the reason i put the evorsor in the list is so that it can infiltrate in and assualt a shooty squad such as a devorstator squad first turn either destroying it or holding it up for a turn or to. This would then increase the chance of my grey knights getting safely down the field.

I am thinking would a unit of Sisters of Battle be better than the Stormtroopers? Maybe changing the grandmaster into a brother captain with a psycannon and using extra points to make a 10 man Sisters of Battle squad with 2 melta-guns in a Chimera instead of the 5 man Stormtrooper squad. Opinions please
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Primarch Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:11 am

You can replace the stormtroopers with a Sisters of battle dominion squad and load them out with meltas, but they must have a transport (unit requirement). You'll end up getting a 3+ save for just 1 point extra.

the only problem with the eversor assassin is that you cannot field him without an inquisitor present in the army. So what I was thinking is that you could take an inquisitor as a replacement to your storm troopers, give him a retinue with gun servitors who have some heavy weapons and give them a rhino.
Primarch
Primarch
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Hmmm i do like the idea of having a shooty inquistor staying back and also shooting at any infiltrators coming in if i give him an auspex.

If it is not too much could you please write a list based on mine but with the changes you have said.
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Also the assassain most likely will NOT get a first turn assault. The rules say that infiltrators must be set up over 18" away. 18.01 is fine, but this wont net you the assualt. The only chance you have is you can set up within 12 inches if the enemy can't see you- but that means your opponent has to be hiding pretty close to hard, cant see through cover AND you have to be able to move around it or through it with enough movement left to get to them- hard to do.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:00 pm

Hmm thanks for pointing that out MJS i had no idea.
I still like the idea of the evorsor infiltrating in maybe first turn he could hide behind cover and then move in for an assualt next turn.
This might have an unexpected benefit because if i move the evorsor close to a squad but behind cover, if they expect he will be able to assualt next turn they will probably move to get away and since the evorsor will mainly be targeting squads with heavy weapons such as devorstators it will prevent them from firing.

EDIT: Updated List in First post
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Primarch Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:43 am

Looks good, one thing though, inquisitors and inquisitor lords by default have no equipment. Remove the auspex and give him a bolter (1pt see errata), storm bolter or some ranged weapon, you can then attach him to the sisters of battle squad.

I will say it: I think the auspex is pretty useless (not in DoW however Razz)
Primarch
Primarch
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:57 pm

most brothers have said the essential :
- If you want infiltrate your assassin well use the best infiltrator ; the callidus Wink
- you have 1 10-squad and 1 5-squad i think your squads will survive longer if you take 1 7-squad and 1 8-squad which is possible with the DH codex.
- The GM is expensive but worth it so i'll keep it too Twisted Evil

Have fun with your list and tell us what will be the battle result bounce

Aubec pirat

Last edited by Aubec le noir on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks for your replies.
Your right a bolter would probably do more than the auspex.

Aubec i chose the evorsor because he will mainly be targeting squads such as devorstator squads and IMO the callidus is more of a Charactor killer.

The 10 man squad of of Gk are more of an attacking squad and they will be trying to get close to the enemy and maybe assualt squads. The 5 man squad will more than likely just stay back holding an objective.
Since the 10 man squad will be trying to move fast they will be in not much if any cover, in contrast the 5 man squad will try to be in the best cover they can get.
Since the 5 man squad will be staying at around 33-36 inches from the enemy they will benefit from shrouding more than the 10 man squad.
So i dont think the 5 man squad will be at that much of a disadvantage.

Since the Grandmaster does not have a retinue i believe the grandmaster could die pretty easily from a hidden powerfist even if i do join him to a squad.
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 pm

You are right, alcolyte. Our HQ's benefit heavily from the retinue rule, otherwise they get s8 flying at them whenever the enemy can muster it.

I really like your list because of the Huge variety. I think it will perform really well with all the options you have, but regardless of performance your going to learn alot about how all these different units interact and next time have a MUCH better idea of what options you have then someone who never takes a 5 man or 10 man squad, or assassians, etc.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks MJS for that.
Yes i really tried hard to diversify with this list and i think i did a good job.
Yes after my first game with this list it will definly help my understanding alot.

I was wondering should i maybe swap the squad of sisters and the rhino for a psycannon for the inquistor and a retinue of 3 heavy bolter servitors and a dreadnought with a twin linked heavy bolter or a plasma cannon?
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:46 pm

The flipside of all this constructive discussion and list building is that you can overthink things, and spend more time on your list then playing. Is your list the best possible? no Could you spend hours making minor tweaks? yeah. Will it make any noticeable difference in the fun you have? probably not. is your list at a pretty good level? yeah.

Personally i like the list as is. Please do keep changing things until your hearts content, just don't spend too much time overthinking a list. Its something i still struggle with, trying to squeeze out the last drops of optimiziton

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:38 am

+1 with brother MJS
the real test is the battles
play what you like/want to play what you enjoy playing and after the firts battles you'll have a better idea of the forces and weaknesses of the army you like to play and then make some shifts
Aubec pirat

Last edited by Aubec le noir on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 pm

Good point MJS.
Well hopefully i will be having a game this Sunday so i might be able to see how the list runs and then after that make changes if nessasary.
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:08 am