Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A "Tactica" Idea

+2
Corennus
Virgilio
6 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

A "Tactica" Idea Empty A "Tactica" Idea

Post by Virgilio Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:02 am

While reading the Tactica (that are very useful for me) I understand how moch noob I am. Embarassed

This because there are lot of things about the game that I simply ignore, and some 40K-slang terms that I don't know. For example, I just finish to read the Purifier Tactica, a little useful, and I don't recognize the term "blob"... so, for the future, I think it would be helpful for noobs (and a little english-illetterate) to have a guide that is simple and clear. After this, I found the tactica very useful!

I think it would be appreciated to have some others toughs. Since our units can be equipped in various ways, a unit can be good for one or another role by varying the equipment. for example, about the Purifiers article: having Psycannons are good, and Incinerators is Ok. Since they have 2 Heavy Slots, there are three choices: 2 PsyCannons, 2 Incinerators, or 1 and 1? It's better have Halberds? It's worth to have a MasterCraft weapon? Which army is good to have with Purifiers, only Crowe, or can be a useful unit with any army that is not a gunline? Which is the best armies to fight with them, and which the worst ones?

So, I think that other the good opinions of the Tactica, would be useful to have more ideas about how them should play: it's worth to get a Rhino or not? They should be always played with 2 PsyCannons, 2 Halberds and a Hammer in a squad of 5, or there are more assets, maybe not the best out there, but worth against a certain type of enemy?

For example, I personally suppose that the best versatile asset for them is 5x Purifiers with 2 Halberds, 2 PsyCannon, 1 Hammer, Psyammo in a Rhino that can be used for mobility and protection while the PsyCannons shot inside, ecc. ecc. So it can be useful to try the "supposed best asset" and search for an asset to fit better our personal game style.

Hope to be of any help

Virgilio
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-01-16

Back to top Go down

A "Tactica" Idea Empty Re: A "Tactica" Idea

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:54 am

Yeah, I was thinking of starting a "reference" thread so new people don't have to scratch their heads at abbreviations.

In fact ill do it now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 am

don't bother with psyammo for that purifer unit. Psyammo for a single storm bolter isn't going to make a difference, and only the psycannons should be shooting from the hatch.

It's better not to mix and match psycannons and incinerators as they have two very different roles. Most of the time you're firing at 24" range your incinerator would have nothing to do, and if closing to assault range you'll only have 2 shots from the psycannon, which suddenly limits its usefulness.
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 am

Disregard what he said... He's new -_-'

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:41 am

@Virgilio: While a Tactica article is great for an initial assessment of a specific unit, the final configuration you'll include in your army is up to you and your local metagame (strategy your opponents in your area use). This can come only by trial and error and how your army plays better with you. Of course you can always ask and get specific advice from the forum. We are happy to help! Smile
This is the great part of this game, the possibilities are huge and there is no "standard" way of taking a unit.

On the Purifier's topic: being expensive GK, you should avoid "over-equiping" on your unit be it 10 or 5 man strong. Keep it simple and cheap. Halberds are great, but so are the swords (which are free). Psycannons multiply the firepower of your army. While Incins are CC oriented, so if you plan to use them equip your unit accordingly.
Psyboltammo? I don't think so, since Purifiers can take two special weapons that won't benefit from psybolt (psycannon) so you'll be expending 20 points for 3(6) S5 stormbolters (compared to 4 or 8 S5 on a Strike squad). Maximize your benefits.
but hey, as I said before, if it works for you go ahead, try it and don't forget to come back and share your experience. This is a never ending learning process we all share.

Cheers!

DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgilio Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:39 am

Oh hey, over there wrote only fantasious examples, nothing that should be read as a "guide".

But, reading here and there I see, for example, that some guys prefers to use Interceptors with flamers, others with PsyCannons, other with Hammers... I know that every gamer should find the best gaming style for him, but the "best asset" should be something that can give him good advice on the start.
For example: say that a good interceptor squad is formed by 10 man, psyammo and 2 psycannon. That should be the easiest asset that allows you to understand the potentials of that unit and a good (not best) way to use it. After a couple of games, you decide that you prefer a very aggressive style so drop the psycannons and play Hammers and Incinerators as well. This asset would be more difficult to use, but for a gamer that prefer a different game style from the standard would find this asset more powerful, since his army is builted with different concepts in mind. And so on.

So, the "standard configuration" is all about this: what this unit is supposed to do? What are the best/cheapest asset for play that role? After play some battles a noob as me can be configure his unit to better fit his gamestyle, but in the very first games he doesn't find units simply "useless" because he has used them in the wrong way against the wrong enemy.

I think a guide like this would be helpful to build exactly the army a player want to play, spending less money and time initially. I think that a a strategical guide is not thinked for too advanced players!

Virgilio
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:54 am

Well while it's ture that new players can benefit from a little help with a specific unit, there is no such a thing as standard loadout for a unit. Very few units in our codex are "standard" equiped. The PsyfleDread is about the only unit that doesn't change its configuration in any list.

But if you really need a Standard Configuration loadout for each unit, consider this:

Standard Configuration: Basic unit, no upgrades. For infantry 1 or 2 special weapons (psycannons or Incinerators). For HQs, minimum upgrades. For Vehicles no change in weapon config, psybolt ammo only. This way you'll use the "basic" unit and can figure out how best you can play it.

Last edited by DonFer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 am

+1 w/ Donfer.

No such thing as standard load out. You will get different opinions and advice from different people and while they may all be "good advice," not all will necessarily work for you because it doesn't fit your style.

Because I was an avid RPG player (old school D&D), I personally put a cinematic and thematic twist to my list. For example, I always give my GM a psycannon even though the cost is extremely high. I just love the fact that I get 4 almost auto hits at BS6 and he can even take out heavy armor! Very Happy

A lot of people will think it is a waste of points and they're not necessarily wrong. I just don't care because that's how I want it lol
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by stormknight Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Rivan wrote:+1 w/ Donfer.

No such thing as standard load out. You will get different opinions and advice from different people and while they may all be "good advice," not all will necessarily work for you because it doesn't fit your style.

Because I was an avid RPG player (old school D&D), I personally put a cinematic and thematic twist to my list. For example, I always give my GM a psycannon even though the cost is extremely high. I just love the fact that I get 4 almost auto hits at BS6 and he can even take out heavy armor! Very Happy

A lot of people will think it is a waste of points and they're not necessarily wrong. I just don't care because that's how I want it lol
He sounds like a bad man. I have to agree with you, I personally preference template weapons because of their devastating short range and the smell of petroleum Smile

stormknight
stormknight
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 331
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:56 pm

It warms my heart to see posts that focus on fluff and character when it comes to loadouts!
Thank you for keeping the fluff alive Brothers!!! cheers
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down