South American Tactica - A Diary

:: Tactica

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South American Tactica - A Diary

Post by DonFer on Mon May 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi all,

Inspired by our brother Enbolden40k (sorry to steal your idea Smile ), I thought I started a diary of my experiences on 40k, now that I started a 4 months long league in our FLGS.
I'm not much of a writer, and since english is not my first language, I hope you forgive my mistakes.

Ok, so straight to business. This league has been thought out as a soccer league. 8 participants, 2 groups. 6 games per group, "Home and Away" games against each opponent. Each player submits 2 lists of a single army, which are made public for everyone to see. For each match you can choose what list you want to try. Also we're playing like a tournament so 2 hours for each battle are allowed.

So I submitted two GK lists (of course). One pure GK and the other with Tau Allies (as I started Tau as my third army). As I write these reviews I'll detail my lists too.

This Saturday I had my very first league game against Necrons. I took the following list:

GK Primary Detachment
Coteaz
2x3 Acolytes w/Plasma Gun, Chimera, HB+Multilaser
2x3 Acolytes w/Melta Gun, Razorback HB+Psybolt
2x3 Acolytes w/Hot Shot LAsgun, Razorback HB+Psybolt
2x PsifleDread

Tau Allied Detachment

Commander w/Plasma Gun, Drone Controller, Target Lock, Drone controller, Command & Control Node
1x Marker Drone
2x Crisis Suit Bodyguards, 2xMissile Pod, Target Lock
4x Marker Drone

Riptide BattleSuit, Ion accelerator, TL SMS, Velocity Tracker

6x Tau Firewarriors

3x Broadside Battlesuits, 2x TL High Yield Missile Pods, 1x TL Heavy Rail Rifle, 3x TL SMS, 3x Velocity tracker
2x Shield Drones

I brought this list 'cause I wanted to try out the new tau. I still don't have many Tau to make them primary so allies was a good idea (at the time). The natural synergy with shooty Tau was Acolite spam, so Coteaz was chosen. Added a couple of Dreads in order to round up the firepower. As for Tau I tried to give my allied detachment very reliable marker lights (which @BS5 and twin linked is almost 90% chance of success). This would help me eliminate cover and aid the Riptide with his BS3.

My opponent was running the following list:

Necron Overlord, Mindshackle Scarabs, Resurrection Orb, Sempiternal Weave, Warscythe (10pts)
Necron Overlord Mindshackle Scarabs, Warscythe
Catacomb Command Barge Living Metal, Quantum Shielding, Tesla Cannon

10x Necron Inmortals
10x Necron Inmortals, Night Scythe, TL Tesla Destructor

15x Necron Warriors, Night Scythe, TL Tesla Destructor
5x Necron Warriors, Night Scythe, TL Tesla Destructor

3x Canoptek Scarabs
3x Canoptek Scarabs

2x Annihilation Barge Tesla Cannon, TL Tesla Destructor
Canoptek Spyders (3) TL Particle Beamer

Mission was Big Guns Never Tire, deployment was Dawn of War.

PRE-DEPLOYMENT

So we roll for random terrain and it turns out to have a very big chunk of terrain in the middle, with random hills and trenches around the corners. We roll for objectives and we get 5, I win the roll for placing and put 3 of them around the middle of the table, just slightly to my side in order to force his forces to get out of his terrain to claim them. My opponent puts his two objectives in his side as far away as possible from the middle of the table (come to think about it that was one of the best choices he made during the game).
We roll for deployment and I win the roll, choose the side and roll for warlord traits, and psychic powers. My Warlord can choose night fighting, and gets Prescience and Clarivoyance (4++ to a unit within 12"). My opponent's warlord gets Stealth and Move through Cover Ruins (there are none on the board).

DEPLOYMENT

So I start deploying. I put all my Tau forces near the 12" edge of my zone, in order to have access to all the objectives (remember that there is a big chunk of terrain in the middle blocking LOS to half of the board). My Tau will have clear LOS to the left part of the board. Additionally I put both Chimeras with Coteaz inside, in front of my Tau. Both bound to steal my opponent's lone objective in his left corner. The rest of my army gets to be deployed on my right side, with only a few trenches in the way (difficult terrain) aided by my two scoring dreads just 5" away of another objective. There is a gap in the middle of my deployment zone, but I reckon is ok since the big chunk of terrain blocks almost all access to the objective that lies in the middle of the "pass".

My opponent's deployment sees the big Necron Warrior unit being deployed in the middle of his zone, with the foot overlord attached, controlling his first objective, inside area terrain. He deploys one Ani barge facing my GK and the other facing Coteaz (left side of the table). He also deploys 10 inmortals controlling the left side objective, just beside the Ani Barge. Finally he deploys the spiders and scarabs in the middle making good use of the block blocking LOS.
Fliers wait in reserve to unleash some hurt.

I choose night fighting turn 1.

GAME
My oppo. rolls for initiative and gets a 6, Coteaz makes him reroll and gets a 3. Thank god for those Spies.

TURN 1
I roll for Psychic Powers and get both of them, one on Coteaz unit, the other one on the Chimera. Both move up in order to shoot at the AniBarge. The Riptide follows close behind. Broadsides Stay put in their Area terrain. On the other side of the table Firewarriors move to control the objective hidden behind the "hill", as do both Dreads (right now controlling 3 objectives). RBs move to have clear LOS to the Spyders and Scarabs.

Shooting starts and my Tau Commander does not shoot and all weapons in his unit are TL. Marker Drones shoot at AniBarge, and bodyguards shoot at Inmortals. I get 5 marks on the AniBarge, and kill 3 Inmortals with my missiles. Next Riptide takes two marks to eliminate cover and gets BS5. Shoot at the Ani, Barge. Hits, but the pen gets a 1 (great way to start). Coteaz and plasma squad shoots at AnniBarge while Chimera shoots at Inmortals. One hit only from plasmas, and the Chimera kills one more Inmortal (good saves made!). The plasma hit gets one glancing hit. Broadsides shoot at the left Anni barge (no it was personal) and get 3 glancing hits and one pen. Rolls for cover (night fighting) and makes all of them except one glance.
On the other side of my zone, the dreads shoot at the second Barge, 3 pens. Rolls for cover, and once again makes them all (nice rolling). RBs shoot at the Scarabs and manage to kill 3, but do not eliminate any of the units. On the assault phase I move my commander and the Riptide into cover.

My oppo. rolls for Scarabs and gets 3, which replace those killed. 2 killed Inmortals get up too. Then proceeds to move his psyders and the scarab swarms forward towards my GK, using cover to avoid fire from my tau. The Overlord in Barge moves to front in order to assault me to death. All three Barges fire and cause 2 glancing hits on two RBs. My Dread makes his cover; The left barge shoots at the Broadsides, gets 3 6s in the dice which translate to 11 wounds. One shield drone gets to save 5 before exploding, all other six are allocated to the Rail Rifle Broadside. He makes 5 and gets a wound. Inmortals get out of their cover and fire to the Broadside team. No harm done.

Well that was some shooting even though it was Night. Epic saving by my opponent really delayed my plan to rapidly obliterate his heavy support in order to have clear LOS for the fliers. I also knew that he wanted to erase my Broadsides from the board ASAP, since the have skyfire. I also can see that the main assault will come to my GK thanks in part to my poor deployment and to the "hill" in the middle of the board.

TURN 2
Once Again Coteaz get both psychic powers, same targets. Both Chimeras, the Commander, and the Riptide move to the left to eliminate the inmortals and the Barge there, hopefully leaving one objective free to take. On the Gk side I move the Dreads to have clear LOS to the Spyders and Scarabs, and my RBs stay there and just pivot for shooting. Finally Firewarriors stay put in the objective.
Shooting starts once again with the Commander and his ML. I get five on the Left Barge. Bodyguards shoot at inmortals and kill 2 more. Riptide overcharges his Ion Accelerator and shoots at the Barge ignoring Cover. Big PiePlate Scatters 11", but luckily lands on Inmortals which get 6 hits. 3 of them die. I use remaining marks to shoot with my broadsides. All are in range so I get 6 glancing and 1 pen. He saves for cover but this time does not make one. First blood to me (finally!). Coteaz and Co. Shoot at the remaining Inmortals and kill them all. My other Chimera has nothing to shoot at and remains in place (poor choice No.2). On the other side, the two Dreads shoot at the right Barge, getting 6 glances (not too bad!), which is also too much for my oppo. to save. Barge No. 2 down. 2 RBs shoot at the scarabs and finish them off. The other two shoot at the Spyders and get 2 wounds through.

My opponent rolls for reserves and get two Scythes out (one with and the other without troops), which move centrally and have LOS to everything I have. Spyders move relentlessly towards my GK and the big Necron warrior blob move forward to make use of their Gauss Weaponry. The Lord in Barge moves forward and engages my RBs with his Warscythe. This gives him two glances in one RB. Shooting sees my Firewarriors shot to death by giant metallic spiders. One NightScythe shoots at my Commander. Once again my oppo. gets 3 6s while hitting and therefore I have to save a lot of wounds. 3 Drones die miserably and 1 Bodyguard gets one wound. The other scythe shoots at my boradside team, and gets 2 6s while hitting (annoying right?). The lone shield drone is away so my MissileSide gets all the wounds. I roll individually, and it makes all 5 of them. Inmortals shoot at Coteaz and Co. to get a glance but fails to get a 6. On the other side, Necron warriors shoot at one RB in range and get 3 glances! No covers saves allowed and it's wrecked and my first Melta Squad is naked from then on.

Ok, so now I can see the Necron Firepower. I lost 3 ML and one troops choice, with another well under way to the grave (melta squad). I now start seeing how poor my deployment was.

TURN 3

Coteaz does it again with the psychic powers. I now turn my attention to my right flank of the board which is about to fold due to the onslaught of the Necrons. Broadsides stay in place and Commander and Riptide move towards the right. Coteaz moves further left and the other Chimera follows. I disembark the other Melta team and move both towards close range of the Necron Lord Barge. The other 3 RB stay put and my Dreads too (plenty of targets to shoot to).
The commander shoots at the Necron Warriors Blob, and gets 2 ML. Missiles from the Bodyguard manage to kill only 2 Necrons (by focus firing on the ones out of cover). The Riptide shots its S8 AP2 Pie Plate in the direction of the Necrons, which don't have cover due to the 2 markers. The shoot scatters and hits the Spyder squad, which don't pass their cover save. That's 3 wounds, 6 more left. The Broadsides, shoot at the Necron carying Scythe, that's 12 S5 SMS shots, 1 HRR S8 shot and 8 S7 HYMP shots, all of them aimed at one target. I get 6 glances and 3 pens. My oppo. rolls for cover, he makes 6 saves (I mean really?), thankfully it's enough to kill the plane. The dreads aim at the Spyders, hit 8 times (yeah I can also do some epic rolling!), my opponent rolls for saves, misses 5. Two spyders dead and one with one wound remaining. Both melta squads shoot at the Lord Barge, get 4 hits and 2 glances and 2 pens, my oppo. makes one pen save, and the other one passes it directly to the Lord, the two glances pass thorough but not enough to make a difference. Lastly my RBs shoot at the Necron Blob, but between cover saves and Reanimation Protocols my shooting goes as though it never happened.

The last Scythe with the Inmortals comes out and moves right up to my GK flank, which now is going to be hit hard and nice. The small Necron Unit comes from active reserve right beside the far left Objective, but within 12" of Coteaz and his unit (he was expecting them!). I shoot and get 4 AP2 wounds, cover is rolled but no results, there is only one Necron standing there and holding the others in place. The big blob moves to the right and the Necron Lord leaves the unit to assault my other Chimera. Inmortals x10 disembark the Scythe right in front of my Dreads and RBs. and both Scythes are in range of my GK side.
End of movement phase and 1 out of 4 Necron warriors get back up. One Scythe shoots at a RB, causing three glances (again 3 6s in one shot). My Acolytes pass Ld and stay there to be obliterated by the retreating spyder. The other Night Scythe shoots at one of the Melta squads, and kills them entirely. While the Necron lord Barge makes good use of its capabilities and eliminates the second melta squad, during movement. It now aims to assault my Dread. Inmortals shoot at the other dread and glance it to death. The foot Lord assaults my chimera but lucky Overwatch kills him before he can say attack. The Barge Lord assaults my Dread, I hit 2 times, and roll two glances which my oppo. saves with his lord, who hits back and pens my Dread with a 6 and I kiss another scoring Unit goodbye.

My GK flank has now folded entirely. And I lost control of all 3 objectives, while one was contested (Coteaz 2 lonely necrons) and the other controlled by the Necron blob (now without a leader).

TURN 4

My army now has 4 scoring bodies (1 Hot Shot Lasgun acolites, Broadsides, And 2 Plasma squads in chimera). There is no way I can recover the right flank, but I control the left flank, with one contested Objective and two left alone. I need to focus on his scoring units. Coteaz misses the 4++ power and disembarks towards the left objective and the two (very annoying) Necron Warriors. The other Chimera moves towards the Blob controlled objective, but needs turn 5 to even make a difference. The riptide, moves onto the hill and has clear shot on the Blob, while my commander moves to get marker lights on the blob. My GK will have to do without help this turn.
Commander shots and gets the 2 ML, while Body guard shoots at the Spyder but don't even tickle it despite the fact that my shots are TL. The Riptide takes cover out of the Necron Blob and shots its pie plate, which doesn't scatter. I only hit 9 out of 10 and wound 9 out of 10 (great). On the other side, Coteaz and Co. shoot at the remaining Necrons, one acolyte dies from hot hands, and only get 2 AP 2 hits, enough to save one with cover save. On the assault phase i can't get near the damn Necrons. The Chimera shoots at the remaining Necron but does not hit a thing. The other Chimera immobilizes itself in area terrain and don't have line of sight at the remaining Necron. So i shoot at the Inmortals but only 2 fall. My Hot Shot Acolytes disembark and shoot at the inmortals, along with the RBs, I kill 7 but two remain standing. Finally by Broadsides shoot at one of the remaining Scythes. This time is overkill 5 pens and 5 glances= dead Scythe.

My opponent gets 4 blob Necron Warriors back up, one fallen Necron gets back up in besides the left Objective. Of the Inmortals 4 get back up, and things start to look grim. The Spyder moves to cover out of LOS of any of my units, but at 3" of one objective. The Inmortals and Lord Barge make good use of their weapons and obliterate the remaining GK on the right flank, leaving one lone RB there. He now controls three objectives and contests one (where Coteaz is). I on the other hand don't have any. Warriors shot at Coteaz and kill one Acolyte. What remains of the blob shoot at the other plasma squad and kills another, and they fail their Ld test (great).

At this point time was up (or only 5 min remained) so we decided to call the game. Sad really, because I would have made a comeback in the 5th turn. I had Coteaz and 1 acolyte, the broadsides to take another and hopefuly my heroic plasma acolytes (needed snake eyes) to take back three objectives, while my commander and Riptide would eliminate the Spyder and the Inmortals.

Game to the Necrons 12 vs. 4 VPs.

What I did learn:

- I didn't use the terrain as I should have to, my opponent on the other hand did a great job doing it.
- My deployment was poor. I didn't really though a lot about it, and because of terrain, I effectively split my force in two eliminating any possibility of supporting fire later in the game.
- Since this was the first time I used the Riptide, I frankly must say I didn't use it full force. I know now I can pie plate my opponent to death every single turn, using my Commander in tandem.
- Broadsides are overkill, and against Fliers well you saw what they did. Nuff said.

Well I hope you enjoyed my report. I will be posting my next matches as they happen. And of course any comments and questions are always welcome!

Cheers!

Last edited by DonFer on Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South American Tactica - A Diary

Post by Rivan on Mon May 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Very good read Donfer! And good lessons learned too.

My son just got his Tau order in and I'll be using them as allies too when I can. Pretty excited to use Broadsides w/ high yield missiles Smile

"Though we face the power of hell, and death is at our side, we fear not, for the Emperor is with us through it all. If we live, we live for the Emperor. If we die, we die for the Emperor. So whether we live or die, we are the Emperor's. We are Grey Knights and this is why we came to be." --Grandmaster Rivan

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." --Sun Tzu (from ancient Earth)

Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4389
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Mon May 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks Rivan. It was a grat battle and a great opponent too. He also said that was it not for the time, I would have won. but hey, it felt like I didn't loose since the battle was so entertaining.

And yes Tau are great and as allies even more so. Very Happy

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown on Mon May 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Great report! I think that broadsides kitted out with missile pods look absolutely badass, just a shame they're 30 a model or I'd have 3 in an allies detachment Sad

SB

SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 251
Army : Grey Knights, Necrons, The Empire
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX on Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Great report Donfer!

Rivan wrote:My son just got his Tau order in and I'll be using them as allies too when I can. Pretty excited to use Broadsides w/ high yield missiles Smile

Are Broadsides relentless? Are they jetpack infantry like the Crisis and Riptide?

DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan on Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Nope, they're not relentless, thank goodness Razz

"Though we face the power of hell, and death is at our side, we fear not, for the Emperor is with us through it all. If we live, we live for the Emperor. If we die, we die for the Emperor. So whether we live or die, we are the Emperor's. We are Grey Knights and this is why we came to be." --Grandmaster Rivan

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." --Sun Tzu (from ancient Earth)

Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4389
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Tue May 14, 2013 10:06 am

DOMIN4TRIX wrote:Great report Donfer!

Are Broadsides relentless? Are they jetpack infantry like the Crisis and Riptide?

Thanks Brother D.! Very Happy
Broadsides are Infantry. But don't mind that. Marker Lights do the trick even if they move. So sweet...

SmokinBrown wrote:Great report! I think that broadsides kitted out with missile pods look absolutely badass, just a shame they're 30 a model or I'd have 3 in an allies detachment Sad

SB

Thanks SB. And yes the model is really beautiful, and lots of opportunities for multi pose/conversions. But FWIW, the Broadside sprue has lots of bitz you can use for Tau (unlike the Riptide Sprue which only has 2 extra heads and a couple of weapons).

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Fri May 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Ok Brothers so I had my second game of the season against Orks. As I explained before this league allows us to try two different lists, choosing whichever we like for each match. This time I chose to go Pure GK with my second submitted list:

GM Mordrak
3x Ghost Terminators
Librarian (MoT, The Summoning, Warp Rift, 2x Servo Skulls)
2x10 Strike Squad - 2x Psycannon, NDH, Psybolt ammo
1x10 Interceptor Squad - 2x Psycannon, Psybolt ammo
2x Nemesis Dreadknight - 2x Nemesis Doomfists, Personal Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator

On the other side of the arena my opponent was running an Orks foot list with lots of Boyzs and Nobs. Something like

Nob Squad with "apothecary", the guy that has a "power field" (5+ cover save to all within 12")
3x 30 (or so) Boyz with special weapons
2x Gretchin squad (about 10 of them)
2x Lootas (15 I think)

I must apologize for the vagueness of my opponent list but they were actually a lot of green skins on the table and at one moment I stopped counting.

Mission was Big Guns Never Tire with Hammer and Anvil deployment. Terrain was forest and hills, with 4 thick forest bases in the middle of the board and a assortment of hills in each side. Good cover, but nothing for 4+ cover save.

We got three objectives and I won the roll for placing them. I wanted to shoot the orks before even risking 1000 attacks on the charge so I deployed both objectives right in the middle of the board. While my opponent deployed his centrally on his deployment zone (my right side). He won deployment and first turn so I just waited until his entire army was on the table (no reserves).

I was very surprised when he deployed most of his army on the edge of his d-zone, leaving only a Lootas squad and both Gretchin squads in the back. This freed a lot of space for my deep striking and teleport shunt. I chose Mordrak to stay in reserves and deep striking while the rest was deployed on the table. Both NDKs were deployed behind a small hill. The interceptors behind the big hill on my zone, to avoid first turn shooting, and out of sight of any of the orks. One SS was deployed behind a small forest to gain cover, and the second SS was deployed on the left hill with clear LoS to the entire ork army.

I rolled for sizing the initiative and got a 5.

Ork First Turn

So as expected, he moved the entire blob forward, at which point his entire army was in control of the center of the board and all three objectives. He then proceeded to shoot with the static lootaz at my NDK, who received 4 wounds, but saved them all. Both Boyz squads shot at each SS, and only managed to kill one knight. The remaining lootaz, nobs and Boyz ran towards my GK in order to engage them at point blank range and of course CC.

GK First Turn

So I deep strike Mordrak and my opponent cannot believe it, when I place it right behind his static lootaz squad. Then one NDK proceeds to shunt behind enemy lines and right in front of both gretchin squads. The second NDK, moves towards one of the Boyz squad (the smell of ork bbq was growing). The first SS moves out of cover and in LoS to every ork unit, while my Interceptors move on the hill to have LoS to the enemy. Shooting begins and my static SS shoot at the running lootaz, which see their numbers diminished by 6. The Interceptors shoot at the Boyz left of the Nobs and kill only 3 while the second SS shoot at the second Boyz squad and manage to kill 3. On my right side the NDK incinerates 6 boyz and the distance needed to assault is increased from 8 to 12 (not good). On the other side of the board the Librarian opens the Rift to the Inmaterium over some Lootas and manage to give them a warp ride to 5 of them, while the termies and mordrak make short work of another 3. The final NDK shoots at one grecthin squad toasting 7 and 1 unlucky loota.
Not bad for my first turn, but now the bulk of the orks are at shooting range and perhaps at assault range, so I must be careful.

Orks Second Turn

With two major threats in his deployment zone, my opponent moves his gretchin to block the assault of Mordrak an Co. to the remaining lootaz. This also effectively forces my NDK to use the JP to move over the gretchin and assault the lootas if I wanted to.
In midfield he takes control of all three objectives effectively using one Boyz squad to take two while using forest cover to avoid heavy casualties. The Boyz on the right move forward to engage the NDK. Boyz to the left move forward to take control of the third and final objective also taking cover in the nearby forest. Nobs move forward to engage my GK in CC and lootaz stay put for some heavy shooting.
Static Lootas shoot at the nearby NDK causing one wound which I don't save. Gretchin shoot at Mordrak and Co. but only manage to make Mordrak agrier. On the other side of the board Boyz shoot at my NDK and manage to generate 5 wounds (epic shooting with 5 6s out of a gazillion shots). I roll 2 1s and the NDK takes two wounds from taking two shots in the groin. On the other side, Noobs shoot at the Interceptors right in front of them but all wounds are saved by Power Armor goodness. On the other side, Lootaz shoot at the covered SS and manage to kill one knight. Finally the third-objective-controlling Boyz squad shoots at the diminished SS and kills a third knight.
Assaults are declared and the right side Boyz assault the NDK, which activates bbq-o-matic for 3 auto hits and 3 wounds, leaving 3 more orks toasted. Even so, there are 17 remaining orks in the squad and the epic amount of rolling to hit begins. The NDK squishes 3 more orks in CC while none of the Orks manage to do something to the big knight. The big ork with a Claw hits 3 times and manages to roll 1 wound. I roll and the NDK saves. Time for some running. The NDK manages to destroy the entire unit after the orks failed their Ld test and rolled a 1 in the initiative roll. First Blood to me!
On the other assault nobs declare assault on the Interceptor, which stand a full 11" away in difficult terrain. I overwatch and generate two wounds killing one nob. The Orks roll for assault range and I think is almost impossible to achieve. 5 5 6 are rolled. Not quite enough to assault, even after careful measuring from my opponent. Lucky me, or should I say lucky interceptor squad.

GK Second Turn

With one Boyz squad gone I can safely move to my right flank and do some more hurting.
The Librarian casts the Summoning on the diminished SS and materializes them in front of the gretchin squad. No more casualties for this unit. On the other side the Interceptors activate the Teleporter and end up behind the Nob squad and in good position to kill the ICs in that squad. Both NDKs move forward to engage both, the second Boyz squad (controlling two objectives and quite streched) and the lootaz respectively. The other SS moves forward out of cover for some shooting on the third Boyz unit hopefully causing severe damage during the shooting.
Mordrak kills an entire Gretchin unit with Storm bolters, the NDK manages to kill two more Lootaz (which were down to 5 I think). The other NDK incinerates 6 more Boyz leaving the far right objective unattended. The summoned SS see opportunity in this and runs towards this objective. I roll a 6 and I'm within 8" of it. Interceptor shoot at the Nobs and effectively kill both ICs (but not the warlord) removing 5+ cover save and FNP from the squad). The other SS shoots at the third Boyz squad but cover is good for them and no casualties are suffered. Ld rolls are made to see if orks run for their lives but seems that they are willing to put a fight and not give up.
The NDK in front of the Lootaz declares assault as it needs only a 4" over difficult terrain to reach them. It takes one wound from overwatch which I can't save and roll an epic 1 2 3 in the assault dice. No assault this turn. my other units aren't close enough to assault.

Orks Third Turn

With almost all of my units on the other side of the board, my opponent now has to move back to engage my units. Boyz on the right move to face the right NDK and Nobs move very poorly though terrain. The third Boyz unit on my left moves though the forest but towards the NDK and Interceptors. Lootaz stay put since they have great line of sight to my SS in my deployment zone. Finally the second Gretchin squad moves to block the way of Mordrak once again, and the cover Lootaz prepare to fire on the nearest NDK.
So Lootaz shoot at the assaul-failing NDK but do nothing. Gretchin have the same luck with Mordrak who is now really pissed at the green vermin. Noobs shoot at the Interceptors effectively killing 2. While the central Boyz shoot at the NDK causing more wounds which I save with no problem. Boyz on the left shoot at the Interceptors killing only one. Finally the other Lootaz squad shoot at the SS in my deployment zone and kill only one knight. I roll Ld for Interceptors and SS and they stay put for another round of combat.
All of his units are not in assault range except for the gretchin which obviously won't assault, so end of his third turn.

GK Third Turn

The Central SS squad moves towards the right side objective and controls it. Interceptors stay put since they have good LoS for shooting. Mordrak stays there for some gretchin killing. The NDK moves just enough to have a good assault towards the static lootaz and the other one moves towards the Boyz in the middle. Finally the SS in my deployment zone move forward to engage the Lootaz.
Shooting sees the last gretchin torn to pieces by Mordrak, while the Interceptors kill 1 Nob with psycannon shots. The central NDK fires towards the central Boyz and kills 3 more. The other NDK incinerates 4 out of 5 remaining Lootaz. The objective controlling SS runs to get into cover and the other SS obliterates the other Lootaz squad. The Cetral Boyz pass their Ld test while the lone Loota fails his Ld test and runs off the board.

The interceptors are within 12" of the Nobs and difficult terrain so I decide to wait for the Nobs to come to me. One NDK assaults the Boyz, which are more than 15. Overwatch does nothing but so does my attacking killing only one ork. In return my opponent manages to roll nothing against me. So much for a fun assault.

Orks Fourth Turn

So now my opponent is looking at a very uphill game. He lost 5 units and things are looking bad in the middle of the field. He moves the Nobs through difficult terrain and gets a 2. The unengaged Boyz squad moves towards the central NDK in order to assault him (he became fixated in killing my NDKs). An that's it for him.
Nobs shoot at the interceptors but I manage to make all saves. And then it's the assault phase. He charges with his second Boyz squad at my NDK and after so many dice rolling I actually feel dizzy. My NDK takes one more wound and is on the brink of dying. In return My NDK kills a another 3 Orks. Not looking good for my scoring NDK.

GK Fourth Turn

So Mordrak finally moves forward to hopefully engage the Nobs in CC. The other NDK moves to control the far left objective. Interceptors decide to lend a hand to the battered NDK and the SS moves to have clear shooting to the Nobs. The other SS stays put comfortably over the far right objective. Since Mordrak is eager to use his daemnohammer he and his squad runs towards the Nobs. The NDK runs towards the objective and is within 12" of it. The SS shoots at the Nobs and manage to kill 2 more leaving the Nobs at 4 strong.
In the assault phase, I assault with the interceptors and it's carnage unleashed. I manage to kill 4 Boyz with the interceptors and 3 more with the NDK. My opponent still manages to kill one Interceptor and after that make both Ld tests.

Orks Fifth Turn.

Not much to do for my opponent at this point. The Nobs move towards the second NDK to deny the objective. That's 3 claws heading my way. During assault the Nobs make it to the NDK but loose one claw Nob during overwatch. The NDK makes short work of another 2 before taking 2 more wounds. the Nobs fail their test but I fail to SA them so they flee.
On the other side, My interceptors manage to kill 6 Boyz and the NDK another 3, eliminating one Boyz squad entirely. Still the other squad manages to stay in combat (good rolling from my opponent's part).

GK Fifth Turn

Ok , so now I have the chance of wiping my opponent out of the table, which I don't really want to. So I move my NDK towards the objective, the SS towards the Central one and move over to the shooting phase.
Mordrak shoots at the Nobs, and manages to cause one wound (don't ask me how). While the NDK is too far away to shoot with the Inicn. The SS kills one Nob in shooting but the warlord still remains standing.
During the assault phase the Boyz kill another Interceptor and they in return kill 3. The NDK kills one and it's Ld party for me and my opponent. I roll nice and the GK stay, and my opponent rolls snake eyes (go figure).

At this point My opponent's army comprises one Nob and about 6 boyz. I still have to loose one unit and I control 2 out of 3 objectives with first blood and Line Breaker to boot. I also have killed two Lootaz squads (heavy support) so no way this can end otherwise. We roll to see the 6th turn and we get a 5. But my opponent calls the day and shakes my hand for a very good game.

I actually was very worried about the amount of models my opponent fielded, but since I haven't played pure GK since a long time, I forgot how much fire power they can pack. My opponent pointed out that the mobility of my army was key to win the battle, which I agree completely. I can assure you that if not for that I would have been crushed beneath a green tide of orks. Of course the NDKs helped a lot too. I also think that killing both Lootaz squads allowed me to diminish his firepower ten fold, and thus minimizing my casualties in the shooting phase.

Great game against the orks and a great opponent too!

Thanks for reading!

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k on Sat May 25, 2013 12:48 am

Glad to see another diary spring up! Very Happy

Good reports as well! Smile

Keep up the good work!

Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 104
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar
Registration date : 2012-09-10

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://embolden40k.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX on Sat May 25, 2013 10:06 am

+1 with Embolden - I love reading these diaries.

Well played, a good win Donfer

Your Dreadknights we're like Legolas and Gimli - trying to outdo each other on the greenskin kill count.

DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Mon May 27, 2013 7:42 am

Embolden40k wrote:Glad to see another diary spring up! Very Happy

Good reports as well! Smile

Keep up the good work!

Thanks brother! Trying to do my best Very Happy

DOMIN4TRIX wrote:+1 with Embolden - I love reading these diaries.

Well played, a good win Donfer

Your Dreadknights we're like Legolas and Gimli - trying to outdo each other on the greenskin kill count.

True Brother D! Twisted Evil Horde killing are what the NDKs are all about. But I feared for them when a lot of orks assaulted them, really a cinematic moment for me, green tide against one lone NDK!

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:30 am

Sponsored content