Newcomer army! Pointers Please! 750pts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newcomer army! Pointers Please! 750pts

Post by Inquisitor P on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:53 am

Hi there, new here, this is my first post!

Firstly breif intro, ignore if you wish! Getting back into the hobby after 5-6 years break. Previously I was just collecting fantasy but always loved the GK models but also liked guard. I started getting back into it just before the new codex came out and was taken by the daemonhunters which enabled me to collect GK and guard, awesome...or so i thought! The new codex stopped all that. I must confess I have since been working on my guard as I had more models (take a look at my IG blog here: http://commissar.proboards.com/index.cgi....ay&thread=14436 - sorry for the shameless plug!) But alas the GK have been niggling at the back of my mind and I've decided I want to get a force together!

I am up for all criticism but bear in mind I havn't even played a game since I've got back into the hobby! I'm not a competive tourney player but I want something that is going to (eventually) be able to stand up for itself!

750pts seems to be the first stop on the way to a full size army, I'm also limited by the models I've already got and limited funds for new stuff!

Heres what I've thought:

HQ: Brotherhood Champ 100pts

Elites: 8 Purifiers, 1 hammer, 1 psycannon, 6 halberds 264pts (only configuration due to metal models)
Rhino 40pts

Troops:
5 GKT, Incinerator, 1 hammer, 1 sword, 3 halberds 205pts (only configuration due to metal models)
5 GKSS, 1 hammer, 1 psycannon, psybolts 140pts

Total 749pts

My thoughts are:
-termies are termies, pretty good as is
-purifiers seem to be lethal at CC, chuck in the brotherhood champ and race em into combat with rhino
-SS with psybolts is my shooty unit, perhaps deepstrike in and shoot stuff
pretty sketchy plan i know!

Its probably not the best list and is only a starting block, I know a big unit of purifiers is a bit much but I really like the idea of them and I will expands to a bigger force. Any pointers on what to add next would be good, 1000pts being the next hurdle, I also have a vindicare and some inquistors. Any pointers welcome! Many thanks!

Inquisitor P
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 15
Army : Grey Knights, IG, Empire, Imperial BFG
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Newcomer army! Pointers Please! 750pts

Post by flaxis on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:05 am

Brother Inquisitor P,

Welcome to the forums.

I beleive the next step would be to add some heavy support and Anti tank - in the form of the Psyriflmen. (That is a dreadnought with 2 Twin linked autocannons and Psybolt ammo) At 135 pts a piece that should get you to over 1000 pts for 2.
The other option to consider would be to look at a GM rather than a Brotherhood Champion.
I found this thread to be good for some pointers on where to start.

http://greyknights.forumotion.com/t2549-basic-intro-army-for-new-players?highlight=basic+starter

all the best with quest to purge in the name of the emperor.

Brother Flaxis

flaxis
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:11 am

welcome on board brother
for 750 points i think your list and plans are not so bad.
you could maybe change the BChamp for a Libbie (a little libbie that is or you have to find the points somewhere Razz Razz ) ... scratch
Aubec pirat

Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3657
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Inquisitor P on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I'll take 'not so bad' as a big compliment as its my first attempt at a list! Psyrifleman sounds good as theres little anti-tank. As soon as I upgrade army size a GM or Libbie would be my HQ choice for sure.

Any more pointers welcome!

Inquisitor P
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 15
Army : Grey Knights, IG, Empire, Imperial BFG
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 am

Welcome to the forums Inquisitor P! Enjoy your stay Smile

"Though we face the power of hell, and death is at our side, we fear not, for the Emperor is with us through it all. If we live, we live for the Emperor. If we die, we die for the Emperor. So whether we live or die, we are the Emperor's. We are Grey Knights and this is why we came to be." --Grandmaster Rivan

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." --Sun Tzu (from ancient Earth)

Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4389
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inquisitor P on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:35 am