Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Horus Heresy!!! NO SPOILERS PLEASE

+23
DarkRonin
Valten
Hawkwood
GMKDynamis
Thorinwhitewolf
rogueuk
Aurelius
Brother Ezekiel
Immortal1
Nausaden
Ecideus
ferrochrome669
Snowfire
Captain Tarvitz
Praexes
Brother_Dherid
Spartan
Klomster
Brother-Captain Validi
McScooby
The Legionnaire
Dark Bjoern
Constantine
27 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Horus Heresy!!!  NO SPOILERS PLEASE - Page 2 Empty Re: The Horus Heresy!!! NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Post by Constantine Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:32 am

I hate the Word Bearers! Which i am impressed with, take me allot to get that much emotion from a book

That's awesome that the book was that engaging for you!!!
Depending on your hate levels you should read Dark Apostle I found it to be a great book.
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

The Horus Heresy!!!  NO SPOILERS PLEASE - Page 2 Empty Re: The Horus Heresy!!! NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Post by Dark Bjoern Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Constantine wrote:
I hate the Word Bearers! Which i am impressed with, take me allot to get that much emotion from a book

That's awesome that the book was that engaging for you!!!
Depending on your hate levels you should read Dark Apostle I found it to be a great book.

Yeah, i had the same feelings after i read the HH books. And Dark Apostel is absolutly worth to be read.
Dark Bjoern
Dark Bjoern
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1710
Army : Mechanicum: Taghmata Mourndark and House Taranis
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother_Dherid Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:21 pm

i love reading about characters and groups i dislike in fiction, so yeah i think Dark Apostle is gonna be fun
Brother_Dherid
Brother_Dherid
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 109
Army : Forces of the Imperium and Chaos Daemons
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Praexes Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:54 pm

"The Horus Heresy: NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!"

HORUS DIES!!!

Wink

I've read them all, except for Fulgrim and Descent of Angels, based on the overwhelmingly poor reviews those two recieved. I also won't be picking up Battle for the Abyss for the same reasons. To those of you who haven't read/bought them, I would suggest doing the same thing, so long as you have a basic knowlegde of Heresy-era lore.

I have to go with the crowd here and say Legion was my favourite, tied with Horus Rising. Abnett really is the only decent Black Library author besides Sandy Mitchell... he puts the 'talent' of McNeil and Co. to shame.

I also found The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions a few days ago on eBay and won it for 25 USD/17 pounds with free shipping! Cool It's a great collection of artwork and short fiction; though the quality is mostly pretty good, it can... vary a little bit. Mad Still, it fills in lots of blanks and gives many extra juicy details for the interested fan. Things that stood out for me were accounts of the true reasons the Chaos gods formented the Heresy in the first place (to delay or halt the Emperor's progress in 'colonising' the webway for human use, which would remove human dependance on the warp for travel and communication) and a story about the intrigue on Mars just before the outbreak of the Horus Heresy.
Praexes
Praexes
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 192
Army : Ordo Malleus 1000 pts, Pre Heresy Death Guard and Mechanicum (W/PIP)
Registration date : 2007-10-24

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 am

Praexes I would agree with Descent of Angels but would say Fulgrim is a good read and you should try it, I also have to go against the crowd about Legion as I did not enjoy it that as much as the others.
Spartan
Spartan
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 319
Location : Hunting down and destroying daemonic taint wherever it may be found.
Army : Pure Grey Knights and thats Grey Knights Only
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Thank you for sharing those juicy little bits of info from your latest purchase Brother Praexes!!! Smile

Is there anything else you found out that was particularily interesting?
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Praexes Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:39 pm

I haven't been able to read any more of it, honestly. See my 'Been kinda busy...' thread. Wink
Praexes
Praexes
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:42 pm

Well Uni has been busy, but I have managed to make it to the part in Escape of the Eisenstien where Captain Garro and his crew narrowly escaped Typhon's battle barge and are about to attempt a warp jump!!!
This is an awesome book!!!
I really enjoy it when novels overlap on certain story lines, for example seeing Tarvitz's escape to Istvann's surface in a thunderhawk from Garro's perspective Very Happy
I am excited to find out what happens next!!! pale
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Tarvitz Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Brother Constantine I reckon you will enjoy Flight of the Eisenstein, but i will have to really go against the crowd and say i really enjoyed Descent of Angels, as it is the only Novel that actually has the Emperor actually present, and the forming of the Dark Angels, and how Luther started to Fall. (but that is my whole Opinion)

As for Fulgrim, it was the book that gave me the Idea to make my Army with the Emperor's Children Colour Scheme.

Tarvitz
Captain Tarvitz
Captain Tarvitz
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 61
Location : Training for the upcoming fight against the foul Hordes of Chaos Scum
Army : PH Emperor's Children, Daemonhunters
Registration date : 2007-10-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:02 am

Thank you for affirming my hopes that Descent of Angels won't be as bad as everyone says it is Very Happy
I just picked Fulgrim up from the book store the other day and I am excited to read it, but that won't happen for quite a while Sad Knowing that book inspired your army makes me even more keen to get to it!!! bounce
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:08 pm

I finished Flight of the Eisenstien!!!!
And I was definatly not dissapointed.
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Praexes Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:40 pm

Flight of the Eisenstein isn't that bad, but it was... kind of base. You know what I mean, it was an ok read, but it never challenged you or made you think, the way a lot of Abnett books do.

I may just be picky about this because most of the books I read are either about political stuff, history or just really heavy fiction or someone's analysis of really heavy fiction.
Praexes
Praexes
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:15 pm

I agree that I wasn't on the edge of my seat throughout the book, but I did enjoy it Very Happy
I am just really curious as to the fates of Garro and Cruz. If their Legions are now traitors, what happens to them? Is this adressed in any of the Horus Heresy novels? scratch

Just out of curiosity Brother Praexes, what is your favourite Black Library novel? study

Oh Yes, Congratulations on your increased chances of a scholarship cheers
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Praexes Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:33 am

Thanks. Wink

My favourites are a three way tie between the Ciaphas Cain Omnibus, simply for it's originality, Horus Rising and Legion.

As for Garro and Cruz, rumour has it (in old as well as new fluff) that they were either the founders and original leaders of the Grey Knights or some unnamed, early militant branch of the Inquisition.... or that they were imprisoned during the Heresy conflict, and eventually executed shortly after the Emperor's ascention to the Throne.
Praexes
Praexes
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:04 pm

Founders of the GKs, wow. I sort of picked up the hinting at them starting something, but I would never have guessed that. Shocked

I'm not sure which rumour I believe more. scratch
I think that starting a militant branch is the most likely.

What are your opinions brothers?
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Bjoern Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:49 pm

Personally i like the thought that Captain Garro is our "Primarch". Like him, no GK had ever fallen to Chaos. I think if he´s really the founder of the first GK we have inherited his unshaken believe in the Emperor. And because of that i don´t mind that it´s Death Guard geneseed.

@Praexes: I´m glad to read that i´m not the only one who liked Legion.
Dark Bjoern
Dark Bjoern
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:43 pm

I have just started to read FULGRIM !!! study
I am very excited. It will be interesting to see what happens to the rememberancers, because of the Eperor's Children's love of art etc...

Personally i like the thought that Captain Garro is our "Primarch". Like him, no GK had ever fallen to Chaos. I think if he´s really the founder of the first GK we have inherited his unshaken believe in the Emperor. And because of that i don´t mind that it´s Death Guard geneseed.

I agree that Garro would be a worhty "primarch". However the Grey Knights all have psychic abilities, and Garro did not. I guess he could have been the first Grand Master, but the origin of our gene seed is still a mystery. scratch
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Possible spoiler warning!!!!

I finished FULGRIM!!!! cheers
Not a bad book, I was shocked at the ending pale I had no idea that Fulgrim killed his brother, or that he became trapped in his own body!!!!! affraid I actually felt sorry for Fulgrim at the end of the novel when the shock of killing his brother gave him enough clarity to realize what a terrible mistake he had made.

I have an even greater hatred of chaos now that I have gained a greater understanding of their ways!!! Mad !!!!

Has anyone else read this novel yet? If so what did you think?
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Bjoern Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:30 pm

It was a worthy read, absolutly. I found the way that the book explain the "creation" of the first Noise Marines very well written.
Next book for you would be Descent of Angels!? To be honest if i want to read a knightly novel i read fantasy. Not much new about the DA. I was disappointed. But they will release a second DA novel in the HH serie in July. Maybe it will be depending on the first.
But after DoA you will come to Legion. Believe me, you will love it. At first it will be very confusing, as if Alpharius had written it himself, and it´s difficult to say who´s the good and who´s the bad guy, but at the end all will become clear. and the end of the book was a great surprise.
Battle for the Abyss was not a bad book but not a great read as Fulgrim or Legion. If you´re a fan of the Ultramarines, Thousand Sons, Space Wolves or World Eater just read it. The Thousand Son and the World Eater Captain had been my favorite charakters. Specially the Thousand Sons Librarian.
Dark Bjoern
Dark Bjoern
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:47 am

Dark Bjoern wrote:It was a worthy read, absolutly. I found the way that the book explain the "creation" of the first Noise Marines very well written.
Next book for you would be Descent of Angels!? To be honest if i want to read a knightly novel i read fantasy. Not much new about the DA. I was disappointed. But they will release a second DA novel in the HH serie in July. Maybe it will be depending on the first.
But after DoA you will come to Legion. Believe me, you will love it. At first it will be very confusing, as if Alpharius had written it himself, and it´s difficult to say who´s the good and who´s the bad guy, but at the end all will become clear. and the end of the book was a great surprise.
Battle for the Abyss was not a bad book but not a great read as Fulgrim or Legion. If you´re a fan of the Ultramarines, Thousand Sons, Space Wolves or World Eater just read it. The Thousand Son and the World Eater Captain had been my favorite charakters. Specially the Thousand Sons Librarian.

Sweet!! Thank you for the illumination brother sunny
My novel reading is going to slow down quite a bit as Uni is back in, but I am very excited to learn more about the HH and meet all of those exciting new characters.

I agree the noise marine were very well introduced. But I found Fulgrim's fall unworthy of a primarch, it just seemed to me that he was too easily manipulated. What do you think? Everything else was great especially the ending.
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Bjoern Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 pm

It´s maybe because the author has gone too deep into some details and had to make it short at the end. Fulgrim is longer then any other HH novel. But that´s only a minor flaw in my opinion.

Three HH novel are planned for 2009. Tales of Heresy, a collection of short stories. Fallen Angels, the second DA novel. I hope i will be much better then the first one (not that it is possible to make it more inferior then DoA). And last but not least the book that i´m, as a SW by heart, most looking forward to is Prospero Burns.
Dark Bjoern
Dark Bjoern
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Prospero burns should be great. I am a HUGE fan of the Space Wolf novels.
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 am

I just bought Legion, Battle for the Abyss and ordered Descent of Angels!!!!

It's time to get my read on!!! study
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:18 pm

I am approximatly 3 chapters into Descent of Angels and loving it!!! I had no idea Caliban was swarming with warp spawn!!!! The main character was almost killed by one already!!!!! To bad Grey Knights aren't around yet!! We could take care of that situation, no problem!!! Razz
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:37 am

Yeah, too bad gk isn't around yet, warpspawn is no match for them.

Have they met any of those guardian dudes, the small ones with robes?

Those are bloody awesome, too bad they are chaos-xeno monsters.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next