Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HQ's - and their impact on the game.

+10
nevek
Akoni
stormknight
first strike
DonFer
bigbri
Souba
Sai
Aubec le noir
DOMIN4TRIX
14 posters

:: Tactica

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which Grey Knights codex hq choice do you use?

HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_lcap21%HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 17 ]
HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_lcap5%HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_lcap0%HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_lcap21%HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 17 ]
HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_lcap12%HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 10 ]
HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_lcap4%HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_lcap24%HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 20 ]
HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_lcap0%HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_lcap13%HQ's - and their impact on the game. Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 82

HQ's - and their impact on the game. Empty HQ's - and their impact on the game.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:36 pm

Hey all. After coming off a successful doubles tourney and taking alot of positive feed back from games I thought I would open up a discussion on hq's and their impact of the game.

My aim for this thread is to be helpful, fun and interesting to all who read it. So with that being said, heres my questions.

Do you think hq choices impact the game significantly?

If so do you write an army list based around the hq and supporting him?

Or if not, do you write your army list and chose a hq to compliment the army?

With 6 edition released, do you think warlord traits impact the game and over power hq's or do they compliment the game(army & tactics) nicely?

EDIT: I forgot castelen Crowe in the poll. Feel free to post you poll choices and why.

I looking forward to some insightful answers Very Happy

Back to top Go down

HQ's - and their impact on the game. Empty Re: HQ's - and their impact on the game.

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 am

I always use one of four characters: Either Draigo/Crowe/Cortaez to access their troops options or a Grandmaster because I find grand strategy invaluable in an army without sufficient bodies to clain objectives.
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

HQ's - and their impact on the game. Empty Re: HQ's - and their impact on the game.

Post by Aubec le noir Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:32 am

i voted GM first and Draigo second.
Depending if it's a fluffy or a competitive list i'm seeking.
i'm found of pure GK lists, so i don't have used Coteaz and others inquisitor named characters already... i tried once the alpha-strike Mordrack list, but with the 6th released the nearly full DS lists are not so appealing anymore !
I used my own GM 80% of the time Aubec de Terrenoire de Casteljaloux known as Aubec le noir : and he's got his history and fluff and is geared consequently : often very heavily geared !! Razz Razz => all grenades, psycannon, MC sword ...etc
the 2 lists i play with him are nearly the same each game : an all comer with DK interceptors, GKSS, GKT LR (i still don't have used SR and i don't like purgators), and a heavy Pallies and GKT list cause i find it fun and fluffy and i my old times the GK were only termies, i loved them before so i love them today ! Wink

The second GM i use is Draigo ... with a classic Draigowing : i love to be outnumbered, for me it clearly enhance the pleasure of the game with the stress and uncertainity of the result of the battle. I love winning against all odds ! Maybe i'm a little bit masochyst ! Suspect Razz Razz

For me the GMs are the ultimate HQ for pure GK lists : they are tough, possess very cool special rules and gear that other HQs are jealous of !
I always try to transport them in the middle of the toughest fight, cause i imagine them in the center of their troops holding the line with their skills and their faith and cruching the Heretics, the Unfaithfuls and evrery other foe of the Emperor !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

When i can take 2 HQ, i take the libbie... for his versatility and the buffs he gives to the whole army... but he's always a second choice to me. Rolling Eyes

Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:10 am

I play a GM for pretty much the same reasons as Aubec. He's tough, he hits hard (or fast in the case of my halberd armed GM) and he isn't relying entirely on psychic powers.

I also play a brotherhood champion in games under 1500 points and as a second HQ choice at 2000 on account of being so cheap. He is capable of far more than people give him credit for. The reroll to hit on the charge and ability to tie up enemy characters in challenges through the shield of blades often leads to his unit winning combat even is he fails to strike a single blow. He allows his unit to win and not get mauled. Again, he doesn't have to pass a psychic test except in the worst case scenario where he's relying on 'heroic sacrifice.'
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 am

i mainly use inquisitors. coteaz has to be there of course or i couldnt play my army...
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:31 pm

I voted for Coteaz. For me the ability to take of those shiney new Divination powers is amazing. he can save a poor round of shooting, or turn a good round into a great round. A few times I've landed with the ignore cover and rerolls, scoring 5-6 psycannon shots that then ignore cover can break a lot of squads I face.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Again sorry guys, only aloud 10 options in the poll and realised I've left out the brotherhood champion.

Heres my input.

I do think certain hq choices impact the game significantly, I think we have some very powerhouse all round hq's that are just gold. Not always bang for your buck. Infact theu can get very expansive if you go over board with upgrades.

Being relatively new to the game, my first hq was draigo, and as much as matt ward screwed up, I think he did ok with draigo, the only 3++ save in our codex and with the eternal warrior USR I think he does ok. In smaller games he really takes up army space but that's the price of fame I guess.

He can't take some of the cool upgrades that a Gm can take, but I5 str 10 against daemons and psykers. Your laughing.

At the same time though, you can get great bang for your buck with coteaz. Psyker lvl 2 for 100 pts, spy network and making henchmen troops, is gold.
I so think a standard inquisitor in gold, an ordo malleus inquisitor with termie armour and a psycannon with prescience is cheap and adds great bonuses to units.
The other inquisitors add a little flavour and great upgrades aswell.

I think when writing an army list you really have to think want you want to accomplish.

With my normal 2k list I'm usually running draigo, maybe a Libby or coteaz as a support hq and the hq's play a major part in the game.

However with the 1k doubles tourney I was in. I wrote my list with the intention of being the most flexible and versatile and yet, pack a punch at the same time. So in actual fact I chose coteaz as a support hq with the left over points I had and he was brilliant!

As for the warlord traits, I think they give a lil' some something. They even out the game sometimes or can really hurt your opponent, or. They pretend their not there sometimes -_-' when you roll crap. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm missing Crowe. Though not a great character, the ability to unlock purifiers is just great.
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:58 pm

I will always take Coteaz for first turn control, my army may not even have inquisitoral units in it and I will still take him.
2nd choice will depend on what is in the rest of my army, G.M if i need to make things scoring and a Lib if I do not.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:07 pm

I would have to agree with you first strike with the option of our inquisitors being able to take different psychic powers like a librarian coteaz is really bang for your buck!! Lvl 2 psyker with awesome other abilities! I don't run inquisitorial units yet either as I have none but coteaz I will use most of the time now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Do you guys think that some of the combat heavy characters are over powered though?

And what's you plan with warlord traits?

Back to top Go down

Post by stormknight Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:02 am

Coteaz is amazing, I like to take a grandmaster too and get the best of both worlds.
stormknight
stormknight
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 331
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Some H.Q's are realy powerfull but you can still deal with them.
Warlord traits are to hit and miss to plan anything around. Just roll the dice and hope for the best.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Akoni Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:51 pm

I like taking Corteaz with Prescience and a random role from Divination. I usually take Corteaz over a Grand Master in 1500 point lists because I'm such a points miser. If I go 1850+ I usually take both Corteaz and my Grand Master to.either obtain more scoring units or rerolls to wounds of ones. I typically take Command traits for my Warlord because of I enjoy the options of pptentiallyoving through cover or rolling extra dice to run.
Akoni
Akoni
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by nevek Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:57 am

i am starting to use the brotherhood champion myself

works out pretty good with the challenge rules Smile

nevek
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Alladin the Paladin Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:03 am

No battle exp. under my belt but I picked up coteaz as my first HQ. When I expand my army ovet 1500 I will create a GM model for the flexibility.
Alladin the Paladin
Alladin the Paladin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2012-07-19

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 am

My Choice is most of the time a grandmaster because a GM unlocks so many different tactics via Grandstrategy, especially with the warlordtraits and other rules that came with 6th ed. And not only does a grandmaster give ample amount of tactics to abuse, there is not many things a GM can ruin in CC. Also i like to spin my own fluffy army, so far Grandmaster Eronen hasn't failed me on the battlefield.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Valten Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:01 am

I like to use both a generic Grand Master and Coteaz. I start by most of the time giving my 10 man Purifier Squad (4 Psycannons) Scout and put Coteaz in this unit. Move them forward in my Scout phase, then cast Prescience on them first turn.

Now I don't have to move my Psycannons to get into range (most of the time) and have 16 shots, re-rolling to hit, plus the storm bolters and the eagle (who goes to town on everything!!).
Valten
Valten
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2011-02-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Akoni Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:25 am

That sounds like a great strategy Brother Valten. What do you primarily target with your Purifiers during that shooting phase?
Akoni
Akoni
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valten Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:37 am

Whatever scares the crap out of me in the deployment! Very Happy

There is nothing that will last long against a lot of re-rolling Psycannon shots - NOTHING.
Valten
Valten
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2011-02-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:28 am

nevek wrote:i am starting to use the brotherhood champion myself

works out pretty good with the challenge rules Smile

In what point games do you use the champion?? With 1 wound its pretty easy for your opponent to "slay the warlord" and he doesn't have that bang for your buck the way say... A grandmaster has or coteaz. I'm my opinion that is. :/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:37 am

Valten wrote:I like to use both a generic Grand Master and Coteaz. I start by most of the time giving my 10 man Purifier Squad (4 Psycannons) Scout and put Coteaz in this unit. Move them forward in my Scout phase, then cast Prescience on them first turn.

Now I don't have to move my Psycannons to get into range (most of the time) and have 16 shots, re-rolling to hit, plus the storm bolters and the eagle (who goes to town on everything!!).

It would be cheaper to use 5 man purgation squad.

On another note, anyone use crowe's broken ability. His psychic spell counts as a closecombat attack and all of crowe's cc attacks rend on a 4+ so.... Rules as written Very Happy and nothing has been FAQ'd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 pm

In what point games do you use the champion?? With 1 wound its pretty easy for your opponent to "slay the warlord" and he doesn't have that bang for your buck the way say... A grandmaster has or coteaz. I'm my opinion that is. :/

I'd say that a 2+/3++ re-rollable save is pretty good. Might even be harder to kill than a librarian without a stave. But you're right, given a larger game I'd want a warlord with 3 wounds.

A large unit re-rolling to hit on the charge is pretty good, especially in a large unit that re-rolls 1s to wound due to a grand masters strategy. The good thing is that there is no way to negate these bonuses.

He tends to only get 1 or 2 attacks, but with a re-roll to hit followed by a re-roll to wound he can take his psychic test and kill most anything without a very high toughness or ward save.

Though it's a last resort and a gamble I'd avoid, heroic sacrifice will kill the nemesis dreadknight/greater daemon/dragon-thing/abbadon/tharka etc. that's eating the rest of your squad.

I see the champion as a champion- he's a cheapish add-on to a squad to help it out rather than a 'warlord' type HQ.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:57 pm

You only get the 3++ in cc. 4++ against shooting.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 am

GM wrote:You only get the 3++ in cc. 4++ against shooting.
Yeah but from shooting he's safely hidden in a squad with Look Out Sir! which is pretty damn sweet.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next