Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1500GK - new to GK, wanna have some fun!

3 posters

Go down

1500GK - new to GK, wanna have some fun! Empty 1500GK - new to GK, wanna have some fun!

Post by guardian angel Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Howdy all!

I am a long time fantasy player, but originally I played 40k (nilla' space marines). However, I now need a break from my fantasy army of choice (WoC). I was having a look at the armies and just loved the look of grey knights; space marines with swords and halberds, so kinda like fantasy;)

Anyhow, I want to make a list which is fun to play, includes units I like and is capable of winning games. With that in mind I have come up with the follwing idea:

HQ:
GM,incinerator,blind grenades,rad grenades
OXI,power armour,psyker(hammerhand),rad & psycho grenades

ELITES:
8 Puriefiers,2 psycannons,2 hammers, 4 halberds,rhino
Inquisitor warband: 4 psykers, 1 mystic, 3 warriors

TROOPS:
6 GKSS,psycannon,hammer,razorback with psy ammo
6 GKSS,psycannon,hammer,razorback with psy ammo
5 GK terminators, psycannon

HS:
Dread, 2x TL autocannon, psy ammo
Dread, 2x TL autocannon, psy ammo

That equals 1500 on the dot!

Rough plan would be that GM uses his strategy to boost the scoring units and goes with the termies. Don't know if to deep strike them or not, but that's what the mystic is there for, if I choose to.
OXI goes with the purifiers, I think teamed together they could be awesome!

Warband is a fun experiment. For the points the psykers could put out some serious hurt. Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

GKSS hold objectives etc, and dreads provide long range fire support.

So, what do you guys think? Is it terrible? I really like the general feel of it, but it does seem short on bodies!

guardian angel
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down

1500GK - new to GK, wanna have some fun! Empty Re: 1500GK - new to GK, wanna have some fun!

Post by MJSwasey Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Try the psykers and see if you like them. Alot of people prefer other options in there, like henchmen with melta/Plasma (or servitors with plasma cannons, but that requires the Inquisitor loses his CC stuff and goes with them , maybe picking up a psycocculum).

Last edited by MJSwasey on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

1500GK - new to GK, wanna have some fun! Empty Re: 1500GK - new to GK, wanna have some fun!

Post by Rivan Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Welcome to the forums Brother!

That's not a bad list at all. For the OXI, I can understand Hammerhand since he can stack it w/ the purifiers' Hammerhand but you may also consider Psychic Communion. This can help if you do decide to DS your GM. You can have a measure of control on when he comes in.

The war band could be interesting although I think they may a little too vulnerable without a transport. I guess you'll have to find good terrain for them Smile
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by guardian angel Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:23 pm

What is the best plan with terminators regarding deployment options? Deep strike? Land raider? Storm raven? Chimera Laughing

guardian angel
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by guardian angel Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Also, at this points level is there a minimum body count I should be aiming for as my list seems small somehow! Maybe it's cos I'm to used to having 50 men in one unit in fantasy!

guardian angel
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:04 pm

deployment all depends on how your list synergizes and your opponent. For example, if most of your list is static and shooty, you might want those Terminators in a storm raven to come in and quickly get where they need to be, an emergency response force. However, if you have an assault based list, perhaps you want them in a land raider to make sure they get to their destination and can assault, and it will screen all the smaller, less durable vehicles/troops coming up behind it. Or perhaps you want them deployed normally (especially if they have psycannons) so they can move and shoot it starting turn 1. Deep striking is generally a less used option for terminators, simply because it's SOOO expensive if something does go wrong and you lose the unit, and they're so slow and so pointsy a smart enemy can just avoid them and make a fair chunk of your army useless (although less so with our terminators, because ours are pretty shooty too). It does find it's uses against armies that like to throw 1-2 units out in some corner isolated, or all assault armies that just leave 1-2 units bac to score, as you can deep strike in on that isolated unit and then wipe them out without a lot of immediate danger. It's also good to reinforce a side, such as when you are using a split castle deployment, whichever side they go for you can deep strike too, but we're seeing less and less split castle deployment in the newer books.

Body count is a very nebulous thing, which differs based on amount of vehicles, types of body, wether your troops do the heavy lifting or not, etc.

I'd say you have plenty for a 1500, as GK are VERY points intensive so usually run small. Another big related factor, some would say is bigger than model count in general, is troop count. you probably want to be able to make 4+ troop squads at 1500, and usually always 6 or more at 2000. You can easily achieve this with your list.

Your squads are on the small size, but mostly in vehicles, so that somewhat evens out. Combined with the fact your DN and the shooty psykers will probably be some high priority targets before your real "bodies", they'll probably last a bit too

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by guardian angel Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:22 am

Ok, some good advice there, cheers Smile

I have another question: What are good ways to run GKSS's? At the min I'm torn between the smaller squad in a razerback, or a 10 man squad with psy ammo in a rhino.
Is one particularly better than the other?

guardian angel
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down