Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GK vs CSM 2000pts

3 posters

Go down

GK vs CSM 2000pts Empty GK vs CSM 2000pts

Post by Rivan Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Went to my local gaming store and was able to get a game in vs. CSM. I was pretty excited since this will be the first time I'll be able to test my new GKs vs chaos Smile

His list:
HQ - DP w/ wings, bolt of tzeentch, warp time
HQ - DP w/ mark of burgle, wings, wind of chaos
TR - 10 CSM, icon, 1 lascannon, PF, rhino
TR - 10 Khorne berserkers, PF, rhino
TR - 7 Plague marines, 2 meltas, PF, rhino
TR - 7 Plague marines, 2 meltas, PF, rhino
HS - 3 obliterators
HS - 3 obliterators
HS - 2 obliterators

My list:
HQ - GM w/ warding staff, incinerator, rad, P/S, 2 skulls
EL - 6 Paladins (1 psycannon/halberd, 1 psycannon/sword, 1 banner, 1 staff, 1 halberd, 1 hammer)
EL - 7 Purifiers (2 psycannons, 1 hammer, 4 halberds); RHINO
TR - 10 GKSS (2 psycannons, 1 hammer, all have psybolts); RB w/ TWLLC
TR - 5 GKSS (1 psycannon); RB w/ TWLLC
FA - 10 GKIS (1 psycannon, 1 incinerator, all have psybolts)
HS - LRC

Mission: Annihilation
Deployment: DoW
I took first turn. GS roll was a 1 so I gave the GKIS Hammer of Righteousness.

I deployed RB w/ 5 GKSS behind some ruins. Everything else will come in at Turn 1 except for the 10 GKSS, which will DS. He deployed nothing and declared that only nurgle DP and oblits were coming in. Everyone else were in reserve and will come in from the board edge.

As my forces moved in, the 2nd RB joined the other one behind the ruins. LRC moved 12" from the board edge followed closely by purifiers' rhino and the GKIS. I tried to make best possible use of terrain and decided not to pop smoke yet since it will still be night fighting. He moved his DP and oblits into position, spreading them evenly with 3 oblits to his left, 2 at the center and 3 on the right. He didn't even bother to try to roll for night fighting since I was too far away so he ran his oblits into suitable terrain.

On my 2nd turn, GM cast communion and was able to call in the GKSS squad. They homed in on a servo-skull and DS'd within shooting range of the 3 oblits on his left flank. I shunted the GKIS to within shooting range of the same oblits squad. LRC sped another 12" towards the 2 oblits in the center and I made sure a big piece of terrain was blocking LOS from the 3 oblits on his right flank. The rhino broke off and headed 12" towards the right-side oblits (and I forgot to declare that I'm popping smoke). The 2 RB inched to either side of the ruins to get a bead on the 3 oblits on his right. GKSS and GKIS opened up on the 3 left-side oblits and killed 1 and put another wound on one. LRC caused 1 wound on the 2 center oblits. RB's both hit and managed to instant kill 1 of the right side oblits. On his turn, 1 plague marine rhino came in along with the CSM rhino. They positioned themselves behind cover. The nurgle DP moved closer to the right side oblits (obviously waiting to counter-charge when my HQ squad got there. The 2 remaining left-side oblits fire plasma cannons at the GKIS squad and killed 2. The center oblits fired at the LRC but failed to do anything. The 2 remaining right-side oblits fired at the purifiers' rhino and managed to stun it (got lucky there Razz ).

3rd turn: LRC moved up, careful not to get within multi-melta kill range. GKSS followed behind LRC. GKIS moved 12" to within assault range of left oblits. RB and rhino stayed put. Combined shooting from LRC and GKSS finished off the 2 center oblits. The 2 remaining left side oblits shrugged off 12 wounds from the GKIS. The RB's and purifiers fired and also caused a ton of wounds but the 2 right side oblits made 5 covers and all the armor saves. The GKIS swooped in and assaulted the left oblits and after successfully casting hammerhand, wiped them out. His last oblits squad fired at the rhino again but miraculously did nothing.

4th turn: The LRC sped another 12" towards the last oblits squad and the nurgle DP, popped smoke, and disembarked my HQ squad. GKIS and GKSS moved towards the center of the board to get within range of the last oblits squad. The RB's, purifiers, GKSS and GKIS all fired at the last oblits squad and wiped them out. The HQ squad shot the DP and caused 1 wound. I declared assault, cast 2 hammerhands for S6. Rolled a 6 for psychostroke but DP passed initiative. 8 attacks at I6 killed the DP. HQ squad consolidated into terrain. On his turn, he took some time to look at all his options, then called the game. GK's win 4-0 KP:cheers:

Post game:
I was actually a little apprehensive due to the 8 obliterators but there was no other way but to make it to his lines. 2 RB's are not enough to shoot it out. Advancing the LRC, the GKIS and the purifiers' rhino was the only way to do it, forcing him to make choices. I can only hope that cover saves will work for me. In this game, the gamble paid off and when I made to his lines, the game went heavily in my favor. I also made sure to keep my units within counter-charge range of each other as much as possible. I think that was the reason he was hesitant to charge forward. Even a DP will get owned by GKSS or Purifiers if it gets charged. Once I was up 2 KP, I was willing to trade KP if I had too.
- psybolts on 1 squad is really a lot dakka. psybolts on 2 squads is even better Razz
- psybolts on a GKIS squad is probably the most worth it
- GKIS squad compliments a LR type tank transporting a monster unit VERY WELL. They can keep up and also use the tank for cover.

Obviously, I haven't had the chance to play other CSM lists (like lash lists) but I think a properly played GK list will own CSM or Chaos Daemons any day. The Preferred enemy and psyche-out grenades are just devastating.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

GK vs CSM 2000pts Empty Re: GK vs CSM 2000pts

Post by Valten Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Another well written and well played battle report. You're right in that psybolt ammo really adds a lot to larger squads. I've had a couple of games at my local GW today with a ten man interceptor squad and ten man strike squad both with psybolts and they brought the pain.
Valten
Valten
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 552
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-02-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Yeah. One thing I forgot to include in the report is that the poor reserve rolls for my opponent really hurt him. I think it would have been better if he had most of his forces on the table so he could have coordinated multiple counter attacks. I discussed this with him and he said he was really afraid of giving up too many KP because of all his rhinos.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Well-played. I too cringed when I saw how many Obliterators he had but you handled it well. Congrats on the win. Nice to see that many Oblits yet no Lash on any of his DP's. Very unusual.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down