Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coteaz, I've been expecting you

4 posters

Go down

Coteaz, I've been expecting you Empty Coteaz, I've been expecting you

Post by first strike Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:05 pm

"If an enemy unit arrives from reserves within 12" of Coteaz and within his line of site, coteaz and his unit can immediately make an out-of-sequence shooting attack against it. There is no limit on how many times the ability can be used in a turn." Taken form the codex.
The question is how this works with flyers. Do you take the shot from the point which they come on the board or where they finish there move? Also if he is in the back of a transport with a fire port, does he have to be one of the people with his head out takeing a shot?
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Coteaz, I've been expecting you Empty Re: Coteaz, I've been expecting you

Post by bigbri Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:28 pm

From the FAQ:
Q: When are the shooting attacks from Inquisitor Coteaz’s I’ve Been
Expecting You special rule fired? (p45)
A: They are fired as soon as a unit that is a valid target is placed
on the board. Once the shooting attacks have been resolved,
the unit can complete its move. If the unit is arriving by Deep
Strike, this will be after the scatter has been resolved.
As for being in a transport, I believe he can't use the ability at all, you can only draw LoS from a fire port while shooting a weapon or specific psychic powers.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:58 pm

so he can shoot at the flier when it comes on before it goes its 18" providing you are with in 12" of where its placed. Or you can shoot at it, if it moves on that first turn if it comes into your 12" bubble.

You however can't shoot from a transport? That seems wrong. Its "Coteaz and any unit he is with" I assume the transport he is embarked on. But I could be wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:59 pm

The transport was never in question, it is a seperate unit.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Grandmaster Arratak wrote:

You however can't shoot from a transport? That seems wrong. Its "Coteaz and any unit he is with" I assume the transport he is embarked on. But I could be wrong.
The unit he is with, is the squad he's attached to, not any transport he's in. The problem here is for his rule to take effect is the arriving unit has to be in Coteaz' LoS, and Coteaz cannot draw LoS from a fire port except during the shooting phase, or if he's overwatching.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Yeah but if hes over watching... that means the "nominated assault unit" has already been on the table for a turn.. remember you cant assault after DS. So he would never overwatch like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown Sat May 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Came across this while searching for a thread I read the other day about Coteaz's "I've been expecting you". I can't find any rule in the BRB stating you can only draw line of sight in the shooting phase or while overwatching. The rule on page 8 says that many situations require line of sight, and "for one model to have line of sight to another, you must be able to trace a straight, unblocked line from its eyes to any part of the targets body". While on page 78 in the transport rules "ranges and line of sight are measured from the fire point" but again with no reference to the shooting phase or enemy assault phase. In the shooting section it states line of sight is required but not that this is the only time it can be made. So I do believe Coteaz's unit can shoot while embarked on a transport, as long as that transport has fire points, but the transport itself cannot shoot.

The bit I was looking for that led me to this thread was something someone said about Coteaz's unit only being able to shoot at a drop pod and not the unit disembarking from it when using the I've been expecting you rule, whereas they actually get to make a separate shooting attack at both the drop pod and the disembarking unit, as per the FAQ. Just wanted to let a brother know his unit got better Smile

Q: Does a squad disembarking from a Drop Pod, or Mycetic Spore, count as arriving from reserve for Inquisitor Coteaz’s I’ve Been Expecting You special rule? (p45)
A: Yes, this means that Inquisitor Coteaz and his unit will be able to fire once at each unit

SB
SmokinBrown
SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 251
Army : Grey Knights, Necrons, The Empire
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by zhambah Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 pm

House rules for this in my area is. if its a dedicated transport it counts as the same unit as the unit its dedicated too. and if coteaz joins that unit then the transport can fire, provided it can draw los from its hull mounted/sponson weapons.

coteaz's entry doesnt mention snap fire... just an out of turn shooting attack, as far as i can tell theres no reason why a dedicated transport couldnt fire if an enemy arrived arrived

and in answer to your question SB, yes, you get to fire once on the drop pod, then once on the team, as both units are arriving from reserve.

Thats how we play anyway

zhambah
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2013-03-31

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content