Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knights of the Word – 1500pt Grey Knight Strike Force

5 posters

Go down

Knights of the Word – 1500pt Grey Knight Strike Force Empty Knights of the Word – 1500pt Grey Knight Strike Force

Post by jeffersonian000 Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Here is a list I cooked up for a 1500pt tourney.

HQ (91pts)
Brother-Captain w/ Psycannon

Elite (254pts)
Brother-Captain w/ Psycannon
3x GKT's w/ 1x Psycannon

Troop (186pts)
Justicar w/ Frag Grenades
5x Knights w/ 1x Incinerator

Troop (186pts)
Justicar w/ Frag Grenades
5x Knights w/ 1x Incinerator

Troop (203pts)
Justicar w/ Auspex, Targeter
4x Knights w/ 2x Psycannons

Heavy (255pts)
Grey Knight Land Raider w/ Extra Armour

Heavy (255pts)
Grey Knight Land Raider w/ Extra Armour

Heavy (70pts)
Orbital Strike: Lance Strike

1500pts even, 25 models, 7 kill points

The Orbital Strike (normally a bad choice) actually adds a nice pie-plate for dealing with horde armies camped on objectives, all at a nice low price of 70pts which counts as neither a model nor a kill point. Not a bad deal.

SJ
jeffersonian000
jeffersonian000
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 107
Army : Knights of the Word
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Knights of the Word – 1500pt Grey Knight Strike Force Empty Re: Knights of the Word – 1500pt Grey Knight Strike Force

Post by NemesisForce Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:01 pm

IMHO the Orbital Strike is not worth it especially when your squads are so small. I'd drop it along with all frags, targeters and the auspex to get yourself 3 more GK's. In fact I'd even think about reducing your psycannons by 1 in each squad as well for a few more bodies. Just a thought. The rest of the list looks good though.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Knights of the Word – 1500pt Grey Knight Strike Force Empty Re: Knights of the Word – 1500pt Grey Knight Strike Force

Post by Coyote Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Overall I think its a great build. Just a heads up though. I took 3 orbital bombardments in my last apoc game and killed a whopping 3 models. They are just too darn unpredictable. If you're not totally attached to a PGK list then you could get a decent squad of IST's for the same points. Alternatively ditching five more points (auspex and targeter) would get you 3 more PAGK's

Just my 2 cents Smile
Coyote
Coyote
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 316
Location : Secret lair located underneath a volcano on a remote tropical island somewhere in the Pacific
Army : GK/IG
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffersonian000 Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Well, I'm not an IST fan and my goal was to include the Orbital Strike, not remove it. Thanks, though.

SJ
jeffersonian000
jeffersonian000
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by For the Emperor Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:03 am

NemesisForce wrote:IMHO the Orbital Strike is not worth it especially when your squads are so small. I'd drop it along with all frags, targeters and the auspex to get yourself 3 more GK's. In fact I'd even think about reducing your psycannons by 1 in each squad as well for a few more bodies. Just a thought. The rest of the list looks good though.
I second this, the only use I see for Orbital strike right now - is in planet strike to place the strike on my own bastion that im defending! That way I can only hit my building and do damage if I get less than a 4 on 2d6! This way anyone outside the bastion is more likely to get hit lol.

So I would think twice about the Orbital strike because it always scatters even on a hit!

Other than that nice list, You probably might want to think twice about your troop choices inside the LR's I run 8man which works well because they will probably get shot after the first assault.

I would also think twice about your pyscannon squad yeah it's a cool idea, But one time you could try putting your objective in the middle of the board, this way you can make use of your Stormbolters and NFW's more.

Good luck mate Smile
For the Emperor
For the Emperor
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 281
Army : Daemonhunters
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffersonian000 Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:09 pm

While everyone seems to pan the Orbital Strike choice, I'd like to point out that its drift is 1-12", not 2-12" everyone seems to think (you only roll 1d6+scatter die, not 2d6+scatter per the current edition rules of barrages). That means that on a "Hit", it scatters 1-6", while on a miss it scatters 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12". Which is an average of 3-8" of drift each round it drops. Another point to consider is that an Orbital Strike only starts when you decide to roll for it and succeed on the reserve roll, which means you can decide not to use it if the situation does not call for it (turn 5's reserve auto success does not force you to drop the Strike, starting the Strike remains a choice throughout the game).

My goal in selecting it is to give me a pie-plate in a pure GK list as a counter to a horde (20+ model) unit that camps on an objective in cover. Since Barrages measure cover from the center hole, this option gives me a pie-plate that can do want I want it to do for only the cost of 3 troop models. Not a bad deal, in my opinion.

Yes, I can drop the mini-purg squad, the 5pts of unnecessary gear, and the Lance Strike to gain 9-10 more PAGK. If I'm going to do that, I might as well just take an LR Crusader to put the GKT's in as well ... and then have the same list I've been playing for a while now that does not have a capturing firebase and a pie-plate.

I'm thinking it was a mistake to post this list, as the feedback seems to be saying "wow, that's not a Water list, here's what you do to make it a Water list".

SJ
jeffersonian000
jeffersonian000
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:07 am

The strikes need to be placed carefully but CAN be immensely useful!
The only criticism I have of your list is that the PAGK squads with incinerators are too small. If they are going in the raiders which I'd recommend go for 8 man squads, then you can add 1 GKT (HQ choice) and still transport them, and they are great for jumping out firing, then charging and destroying a unit.

The purg squad is a good idea with the new ruleset as a defencive troop choice/fire base.

Also I don't like IST's either, and would never use them as a personal preference because I dislike the models and rules.
If you want to go puritan go for it! I certainly have and its awesome fun.

Just keep in mind the way of the water warrior was perfected last ruleset, and its very different these days, sad in some ways, good in others.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by For the Emperor Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 am

jeffersonian000 wrote:While everyone seems to pan the Orbital Strike choice, I'd like to point out that its drift is 1-12", not 2-12" everyone seems to think (you only roll 1d6+scatter die, not 2d6+scatter per the current edition rules of barrages). That means that on a "Hit", it scatters 1-6", while on a miss it scatters 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12". Which is an average of 3-8" of drift each round it drops. Another point to consider is that an Orbital Strike only starts when you decide to roll for it and succeed on the reserve roll, which means you can decide not to use it if the situation does not call for it (turn 5's reserve auto success does not force you to drop the Strike, starting the Strike remains a choice throughout the game).

My goal in selecting it is to give me a pie-plate in a pure GK list as a counter to a horde (20+ model) unit that camps on an objective in cover. Since Barrages measure cover from the center hole, this option gives me a pie-plate that can do want I want it to do for only the cost of 3 troop models. Not a bad deal, in my opinion.

Yes, I can drop the mini-purg squad, the 5pts of unnecessary gear, and the Lance Strike to gain 9-10 more PAGK. If I'm going to do that, I might as well just take an LR Crusader to put the GKT's in as well ... and then have the same list I've been playing for a while now that does not have a capturing firebase and a pie-plate.

I'm thinking it was a mistake to post this list, as the feedback seems to be saying "wow, that's not a Water list, here's what you do to make it a Water list".

Although I don't agree with purgation GK's they neither capture objectives or do they contest them without being too heavily priced.
SJ
Well ok that horde list could have without number. From my experience I killed a 30ork boy squad with a nob with a Klaw and beat them with 8 GK's and 2 incinerators on the first round of combat.
By the way I have nothing on the water warrior I don't like it's tactics and prefer flame templates Very Happy
For the Emperor
For the Emperor
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 281
Army : Daemonhunters
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down