Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for background help.

5 posters

Go down

Looking for background help. Empty Looking for background help.

Post by SIRSEAN Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Hello:

As some people know, I have my own Space Marine Chapter: the Grail Knights.

I've been trying to create some background and I have some ideas, and I think that you, the one who is reading this, know more about WH40K tha me, because I'm in Colombia, and around here, we don't have a lot of books to read about 40K... I publish a while ago some background, but some people thinks that is not quite 'realistic'...

so, I need your help and advice, in order to organize the ideas, and create a background:

-The firts idea: the Chapter know as the Grail Knights, is under the command of a Grey Knight Grand Master, who fills the role of Chapter Master. Also, an Inquisitor Lord is part of the head quarters.

-the Inquisition is in very good terms with the Grail Knights... or maybe is just a way to keep a close eye on them (the most visible symbol of the chapter is the =][= that is wearing by almost all the members and vehicles, and I use very often Demon Hunters or Witch Hunters allies, BTW, the symbol of the Fleur is also used very often, specially by the commanders)

-the Chapter of the Grail Knights is a succesor of the Blood Angels (because the color I choose, the Master have wings and wears Gold armor, and because I love Jumpacks, predator baals, assaults and even the name fits, not to mention that I have 10 assault marines with black armor)

-they have unique titles: Paragons (Sergeants), Paladins (Veterans), Grail Guardians (Honor Guards), Exorcists (Chaplains and Death Company), Errants (scouts), Holy Knights (Grey Knights), Eagle Knights (assault squads), Lance Brotherhood (Tactical squads), Redemption Knights (Devastators)...

-The old Grail Knight is actually a Blood Angels Librarian, named Kane. Kane was in charge of the Grail Knights creation and teaching about Sangunius, with a Chaplain (Helmut) and the former Chapter master, who dies fighting demons. Kane and Helmut were close to die too, when Sean, a Grey Knight Grand Master, saves them... (what do you think?)

any ideas or suggestion will be welcome.
SIRSEAN
SIRSEAN
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 260
Army : Daemonhunters, Space marines, Blood Angels, Bretonnia.
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Looking for background help. Empty Re: Looking for background help.

Post by Cerium Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:53 pm

If they are a blood angels succesor chapter, why not try and incorporate some story about a mysterious Holy Grail that can cure the Red Death or whatever that rage thing is called.

An idea for a cool conversion: put space marine bikers on Fmpire or Bretonnian horses and count them as bikes. In keeping with your alternate names, they could be the Questing Knights or something.

I dunno, just an idea

Cerium
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerium Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:56 pm

If you do the Questing KNights, maybe they could be like the Dark Angels Ravenwing. The Ravenwing's true purpose is to find the Fallen, and havebeen known to leave a battle if there is any sign of the Fallen nearby. The Questing Knights could have been created to find the Grail, and will leave a battle at the slightest whisper of a rumour of the Grail's whereabouts.

Again, just an idea

Cerium
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Bjoern Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:21 am

I would not go for the horses of the bretonnian but for the helmets. They would give your army a very personal note.
For the story line you should change the GK GM thing. Use a nice SM commander instead. It´s absolutly unlikely that a GK GM would leave the GK to become a SM chapter master. Those guys are very singleminded in those matters. But the Inquisitor is a good idea. And that your chapter has a close bond to the ][ is also ok. There is an other chapter, http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Red_Hunters, that work together with the big ][ and includes the ][ in their chapter logo.
Dark Bjoern
Dark Bjoern
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1710
Army : Mechanicum: Taghmata Mourndark and House Taranis
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SIRSEAN Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:47 am

The Red Hunters... yes, I saw them in the Insignium Astartes, and even the color macth with my Grail Knights (I don't like skulls)

The idea of a 'Regular' Chapter master is OK, I'll work on that.
SIRSEAN
SIRSEAN
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:34 am

Nothing to add that has not already been said except I find the easiest way to do a new chapter is work backwords.

First have what they do now and where they are then you can step by step working towards their birth.

Also keep it simple, and try not to use all your ideas in one chapter you can create more and use your idease in then. Make sure you make them realistic and not the best of the best of the best the have to have some downsides. Like Ultramarines are to stick to the rule book, blood angels the whole rage thing.

I would say have them come from Ultramarines and you can add in your own deviations from the codex due to historical events. They can still be red with wings maybe the planet was plagued by dragons or still is or it is a red dusty plannet and the live in the clouds or use the blood angels but you will be stuck with the rage curse etc and their codex.

Stick with the inquisition keeping an eye on them for what ever reason means they have a downside.

If Kane is their have him as the founder and first chapter master and have them as Blood Angel successor
Spartan
Spartan
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 319
Location : Hunting down and destroying daemonic taint wherever it may be found.
Army : Pure Grey Knights and thats Grey Knights Only
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:35 pm

The problem with beeing a blood angel succesor is the black rage, something the -][- doesn't like.

It's not that good if your holy warriors that are the face of the imperium, suddently goes into a rage while beeing supposed to save civilians (and what happens next is for your imagination)

The -][- keeping an eye on them is good, and the grail knights could have sworn a oath to always help and fight for the inquisition.

Are they malleus boys, or hereticus?

Either way, the inquisition works.

Questing knights are a good idea, but space marines on horses is not.
Maybe give them questing knight poses and some kit and put them on bikes covered in scrolls and artefacts.

The gk gm as chapter master is an idea that you should ditch right away.

The gm could very well have saved them (a holy warrior bathed in the emperors light dragging you out from the darkness, now that is a cool dream)

The gk might have appeared while an enemy force of deamons or heretics tampered with the grail knights, making them almost succumb to the black rage, but in the last moment, the holy warriors of the grey knights came and destroyed the enemy.
The grail knights all saw the glimmering silver knights dragging them out of the darkness of the rage (or in reality, just generally saving their arses) and after the battle, sworn alliegience to the gk.

It could be iffy becouse gk could very well have executed the lot becouse of their weakness in the face of chaos, but the grail knights could have been lucky and bumped into a rather nice inquisitor (as nice as inquisitors get) and been spared, in exchange for servitude too the inquisition.

Then the gk perhaps dissapeared and the grail knights remembered them and used them as the ideal warrior they would all try to become!

A shimmering angel of the emperor, vanquishing all that is evil, and saving the servants of the emperor!
(I like that sescription of a grey knight, just imagine how he would look in a movie)

As it would be odd if the gk hanged around (they have better things to do than babysit space marines that should be able to handle themselves)

Just some general thoughts, love/hate as you like!
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SIRSEAN Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:49 pm

hate is something that I can barely understand...

and you have good ideas, thanks!

I'm thinking that I'll keep the -][- (all my models have it!), but I'll change the background of the Blood Angels, because you are right: Blood Angels and Inquisition are not the best friends... (BUT I'LL CONTINUE WITH BLOOD ANGELS RULES!... at least sometimes Wink )

so, now I have another question...

Wich Primarch could be the father of my Chapter???

let me check:

-the Emperor: only Grey Knights can Claim that Honor...

-Lion'El: could be... altought Dark Angels are not my favorite...

-Jaghatai: could be too: I like bikes and close combat

-Leman: I don't think so...

-Rogal Dorn: could be, but too many 'famous' chapters are from him

-Ferrus: could be helpful in order to justify my nemesis weapons

-Roboute: just like everyone else?

-Vulkan: I have some black marines (OK, OK; african american Wink), but Vulkan has no official son besides the salamanders...

-Corax: could be... I like Jumpacks, I have the model of Shrike...

-Any other: NEVER!

any ideas?
SIRSEAN
SIRSEAN
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:11 am

Ok I have an idea for one of my own chapters that might work for you and fit exactly.

Chapter created for protection of a planet and a system. Created from Ultramarines usual reasons but you could choose any.

Some catastorphy or huge attack happens destroying system and most of the legion Blood Angels come to the rescue save what remains of chapter. Chapter the swear oath to aid the blood angels as the are far too under stregth to do anything else and swaer to go on the Grail quest to find the cure for the black rage.

Inquisition like the idea of a cure so aid them although the are also keeping a watchful eye on them due to their closeness to the blood angels and the fact that changes from the codex has occured.

The home world was a red gas giant and so they live in the clouds (like Bespin in Star Wars. The red armour signifies the planet and the wings the fact the live in the clouds.

Anyway theat was my idea and may help with yours, you can copy it if you wish.
Spartan
Spartan
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 319
Location : Hunting down and destroying daemonic taint wherever it may be found.
Army : Pure Grey Knights and thats Grey Knights Only
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Bjoern Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 am

At the end it doesn´t matter which Primarch you choose. With the exception of the BA and DA successors, most successor chapters go their own way. Even among the UM you will find zeolote Crusaders.
Dark Bjoern
Dark Bjoern
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1710
Army : Mechanicum: Taghmata Mourndark and House Taranis
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SIRSEAN Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:38 pm

Well, I think I can create something to justify the black rage and the aid of Inquisition... (even a 'count as')

Now is time for me to work on that...

The primacrh is between Sanguinius and Rogal Dorn.

I'll let you know the results.

and thanks again for your help.
SIRSEAN
SIRSEAN
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Sanguinius is cool, but dorn doesn't have the rage!
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down