Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey Knights Vs Space Wolves

5 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

Grey Knights Vs Space Wolves Empty Grey Knights Vs Space Wolves

Post by echosen Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:10 am

I am having a super hard time fighting my friend who plays new space wolf codex. The lack of options in the Grey Knight codex, waste of a codex btw..should have just been an errata..is making me sad. Everything in the space wolf codex is just out right better. so many storm shields and so much AP2 melee. I can't compete without allying in white scars and adding as many over powered grav guns as I can. Then it turns into more of a white scar army than grey knight
Am I the only one feeling the frustration of spending to much money on a codex that added very little to the army? Indeed there were many buffs with few nerfs but the buffs were mainly in points value and few rules. And with the advent of grav guns and all the other bad things that 6th edition brought they thought psybolt amo was so dangerous that they had to get rid of it?  lol Now grey knights have nothing for range..very bad. I would like to play a 2000 point list with out allies but I don't think Grey Knights are good enough. Any thoughts?
My Grey Knight/ White Scar list:

HQ: Librarian, stormbolter, liber daemonica
Troop: 5 terminators, psycannon
Fast Atttack: stormraven
Heavy: dreadknight, heavy psycannon, heavy psylencer, teleporter
Heavy: same as above.
LoW: Draigo

HQ: captain, bike
Troop: 5 bikes, 2 grav guns
Troop:5 bikes, 2 gravguns
Fast Attack:5 bikes, 2 gravguns
Heavy:3 centurions, gravcannons-grav amps

Draigo goes with Centurions for gate. That's really the only thing special going on. Librarian with terminators.

echosen
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 8
Army : Grey Knights, Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2014-12-22

Back to top Go down

Grey Knights Vs Space Wolves Empty Re: Grey Knights Vs Space Wolves

Post by Souba Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:50 pm

i never had issues with space wolves so far.. and i play against one of those guys that throws only the best stuff at you (maximum long fangs... masses of thunderwolve cav).

dont got much time, yet but one thing for your NDK's to switch immediatly: the gatling psylencer. this weapon is a waste of points against every target there is in a game. yes there will be a single game where it (finally) did something good. but it will be this game alone and thats it. take something reliable. in those cases the psycannon + incinerator are always the better option.
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Akoni Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Souba wrote:the gatling psylencer. this weapon is a waste of points against every target there is in a game. yes there will be a single game where it (finally) did something good. but it will be this game alone and thats it. take something reliable. in those cases the psycannon + incinerator are always the better option.

I have enough points in my list to make the change. Thanks for the tip!
Akoni
Akoni
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 688
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:23 am

What do you actually use Draigo for? He's a lot of points that would get another Raven.

What kind of Space Wolf army is it? They have a wide variety of lists, but whatever they choose they will have weaknesses and the strength of the Knights is that they're capable of anything. They just might not be that good at it.

The Nemesis Strike Force is excellent for me, but if you have an entirely different play style it might not be so good for you. It does mean high stakes gambling.

I also take a lot of incinerators. No roll to hit, wounds on twos. Get 3 templates on a squad and you can guarantee they will feel something no matter how many storm shields they brought along.

The Grey Knights rely more on the player than a lot of lists in other codices I think. Your White Scar section there requires no thought at all- it's point and click at the heavy infantry no matter where they are on the board because of the bike speed. It's easy. Kind of like the old codex with psyriflemen and psycannons pointing out of every orifice. On the bright side, when you win now, you win because of your tactical acumen, not because you bought the right plastic pieces to win from a shop.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by echosen Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:34 am

Well, maybe I am just a bad Grey Knight player. I have read many posts on many forums and it seems the new codex works well for everyone else but me.
I really don't want to use the White Scars, the grav gun is overpowered and shouldn't exist.
With the crap rules of random charge range and overwatch I have had nothing but trouble with all of my assault armies. I am NOT one with the force it seems.
I'll keep plugging away till I get it. Have been playing Grey Knights sense 3rd edition so I think if I haven't gotten it by now, I will not get it.

echosen
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 8
Army : Grey Knights, Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2014-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:54 am

Yeah, assault armies got hit pretty hard with the new rules. But maybe that's the problem- you're trying to assault. Unless the enemy is sitting on an objective, why bother? If you're on the objective the enemy will come to you while you riddle them with overwatch fire.

Frankly most Grey Knights don't move fast enough to pull off an assault. Interceptors can but they're not good in a swordfight, which leaves you with the teleporting dreadknight. Landraiders and stormravens could deliver teams but it leaves the transport very open to fire and it's plainly obvious what you're going to do, allowing the enemy to react.

You have Guard as well, so maybe think of Grey Knights as being slightly better stormtroopers rather than close combat units.

Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:28 am

Hmmm... I don't like this "I'm never going to get it talk" Brother. We are the Grey Knights, we know that our lot is to be outnumbered, and that skill and the Emperor's guidance is needed for victory.
Keep tweaking the list and review the battle you fight.

What about the following:
- Move and fire dreads to take out the long fangs
- Drop dreads from Storm Ravens to add pressure to the back of the board.
- Deep strike to take out the long fangs and disrupt their deployment zone
- Take out the wolf cavalry with terminators/Paladins
- Use Storm Ravens or Land Raiders... More than one, so youre forcing target selection onto those old men.
- If your using Draigo, throw him right in the middle of it all and let him go!!! Twisted Evil
- Basically, keep trying brother! If you see other GKs winning, look at their lists and talk with them. You could even ask the wolf player what he sees as the biggest threat you can pose to him.

Don't give up!
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:51 am

For the long fang's I'd use either a shunting dreadknight or pair of interceptor squads depending on what they are armed with. Or I'd use both if I had to be sure. And I'd have a teleport homer on the interceptors for terminator reinforcement if I really had to be sure.

The cavalry are tricky. Depending on the mission I might just gut the rest of his army. How many points to they cost with a stormshield now? It used to be 80 I think, so you'd be getting a full terminator squad for every two of them, but if they only cost 60 or so that could be a pain.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Akoni Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:45 am

Hail Brothers!

Last night, after an extremely long hiatus from 40K, I played a Space Wolves player last night. I'm not very good with writing Battle Reports simply because I dint know every model on the board, but I will attempt to write one up this week detailing all 6 turns.

I used the 1845 point list located in the 13th reply in the post.

https://greyknights.forumotion.com/t4126-1750-terminator-list#63516

As Brothers Sai and Constantine have previously pointed out, player strategy is key. Grey Knights are challenging to play, but very fun and rewarding when you win. I don't win very many games, but lately I have been! I'm amazed at how resilient the models are, especially Dreadknights!

We decided to end the game at Turn 6. We played Purged the Alien and I won six Victory points to his four.

Have faith in the Emperor and your knights!
Akoni
Akoni
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 688
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content