Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey knight tactics help!!!

+2
Rion
Liberian Martel
6 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

Grey knight tactics help!!! Empty Grey knight tactics help!!!

Post by Liberian Martel Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 am

hello Brothers
i love grey knights and have been using them for a while but i cannot find/ make lists that give me a edge in a game 
and i often lose due to lack of numbers, not being able to reach them and ELDAR!!!.
i mostly verse eldar, dark eldar, Dark angels, and allies to those three.

a common list for me is 
Hq
Libarian mastery lvl 3, warding stave, quicksilver, summoning,  warprift, shrouded or Castelian crowe 

OMI with terminator armour ect
Elites
2x 10 purifiers 8x halberd 2x hammer, rhino
1x 5 purifiers 4x psycannon, rhino

Troops
2x 5 man terminators 4x halberd 1x banner

2x 5 man strike squads, 2x psycannon

Fast

Stromraven

PLZ HELP
Liberian Martel
Liberian Martel
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 81
Army : Grey Knights 8th brotherhood/ Tau Empire
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Grey knight tactics help!!! Empty Re: Grey knight tactics help!!!

Post by Rion Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:05 am

My first thought is I don't see many Psycannons. I see them in only 2 squads that's it. This is just my honest opinion but Psycannons are one of our options in which to alleviate out numbers problem. For example a Purifier Squad can shoot out 16 Str7 Ap4 Rending shots, then add in the 12 Str4 Ap5 shots, total of 28 shots as apposed to only 20. I leave the mechanics up to you but I say add more cannons.

As for getting close: You can possibly load models into the Stormraven and fly them over, or with the terminators and Striek Squad sense they have deep strike, keep them in reserve and give your librarian a teleport homer and have them deep strike next to him without scattering, then use the summoning to get more units even closer.
Rion
Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 627
Army : Grey Knights, Knights Camlann (Space Marine)
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:46 am

What points level are you playing at? I counted around 1600 in that list and one illegal Purifier squad. (4 psycannons - 5 man squad) Though this could easily be changed to a Purgation squad as you have the space in support.

My 1500pt list (for what it's worth) is this:

Crowe

2 x 10 Purifiers / 4 psycannon / 5 halberd / 1 hammer / rhino

2 x 5 Purifiers / 2 psycannon / 2 halberd / 1 hammer / razorback / psybolt ammo

2 x Psydread / searchlights
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:04 am

It sounds like you might be going into battle with the wrong mindset.  You don't have to 'reach' the enemy, you need to achieve your objectives and in 2/3 of games you don't have to kill anyone.  Teleport onto the objective and the enemy will come to you.   Grey Knights have a lot of useful skills and equipment for close combat, but that doesn't mean they have to be an 'assault' army.  

Combine your 5 man squads and give them psybolts.  Eldar will be dead on 2s and you have a strong chance of taking down dark eldar vehicles.  If you teleport behind most vehicles you'll only be facing armour 10, giving you a chance of penetration in addition to what your psycannons do.

As for dark angels, try to deny long range LoS and make them come to you. Focus on taking out their plasma before they melt your terminators.

You could change the army entirely, but what you've got isn't altogether unbalanced (apart from the illegal bits) so using a modified strategy might be the way forward.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:55 pm

+1 to all my brothers, your army is lacking long range fire, and has no fast movement except the stormraven which would much rather sit back and shoot then get up close and personal if it could remain as a flyer.
How do you arm the stormraven?
Why do the 2 terminators squads not have psy cannons? 
Do you have a clear plan for the Lib, if not then he should not be there.
I would asume the OMI is terminator, psy cannon and 1st level.
Purifiers can have 2 psy cannons for 5 guys and 4 at 10, but would still only take 2 in a squad, and at 10 guys psybolts are a steal.
I find the best way to arm a stormraven is to go M.Melta, Assult cannon, Huricane bolters and psy bolts. The M.Melta can go into a Vech with power of the machine spirit and the rest into a unit (so that is 12 S5 twin linked shots and 4 S7 ap4 rending twin linked shots), if there is an enemy psyker then pop 2 of the mind strike missiles into him.
Psy bolted AC Dread is one of the best ways to spend points in our list and provides good fire power.
But this is only about the list setup, the next step is useing them and we will need more info from you on that, please give a list you would like to use and then give a brief destription on what each unit would like to be doing in a game. 
eg, stormraven, coming on turn 2 (hopefully), first job will be to hit any flyers on the board, then take out a strong enemy vechicle and mauling a squad. Will not be transporting as it will get shot down when it drops into hover mode.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:14 am

A purifier list.....hmm well my two cents:

At 1500 points you're not going to get TONNES of models on the field. but you can get a pretty impressive gunline:

Castellan Crowe 150

TROOPS

Purifier Squad (5 man) x 5
Psycannons x 2
Halberds x 2
Daemonhammer
Rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreadnought x 3
Psyammo
T-L Autocannons

oh look at that! 1500 points on the nose.

lots of long range firepower due to the 12 t-l autocannon shots at Str 8 (48"). and in assault mode you're getting 20 Str 7 AP4 rending shots from the psycannons from the rhino hatches. increasing to 40 shots when in heavy mode.

It's by no means a cover all bases list. there's no anti-air and no real CC ability. but it offers a good compromise I think
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberian Martel Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:09 am

hi guys i normally play between 2000-2500pts
and i am open to any tactics/lists that you have the thing that kills my deep striking and that is that half of my army must be on the field in the first turn (new reserve rules right?)
and sorry about my last post was half asleep and rushing it:) i meant a 10 man team of purifiers combat squading. corennus i really like your list idea multiple small purifiers squads and dreadnoughts and still 500 pts to play around with:) an idea i have had is that my stormraven always takes a lot of hits from intercepting quad guns and my opponent always seems to roll 5s and 6s with them so i may change it for a deep striking Land raider MAhahahah (. (i admit i am a huge sucker for librarians opining the warp and summing in massive things to the field and sending enemy  to oblivion) i also love dreadknights but my enemy eldar always has a 10 man fire dragon team waiting for it (normally in a wave surpent)
Liberian Martel
Liberian Martel
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 81
Army : Grey Knights 8th brotherhood/ Tau Empire
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:49 am

librarians summoning stuff is good. but you have to protect the librarian. and you can't summon stuff from reserve. So first of all you have to have a good lot of protection for your librarian (in cover, few terminator bodies to take hits), shrouding on, and then you have to be able to see what you're summoning...

having said that, there's nothing more impressive than a land raider deepstriking in and MORE terminators stomping out
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 am

oh if you're playing 2500 points then try this:

Grand Master
Psychotroke Grenades
M C Nemesis Force Sword
Blind Grenades
Grey knight tactics help!!! Empty
Grey knight tactics help!!! EmptyCastellan Crowe 150

ELITES

Vindicare Assassin

Venerable Dreadnought
T-L Autocannons
Psyammo

Venerable Dreadnought
T-L Autocannon
Psyammo

TROOPS

Purifier Squad (5 man) x 5
Psycannons x 2
Halberds x 2
Daemonhammer
Rhino

Terminator Squad (6 man)
Psycannon
Nemesis Daemonhammer

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreadnought x 3
Psyammo
T-L Autocannons

that's 2500 points of GK goodness. 5 squads of purifiers provide 40 psycannons shots per turn in heavy mode. the dreads combined pump out 20 Str 8 t-l shots per turn. the vindicare can take out anything from a land raider to the inv save of an annoying character. and the grand master can make the dreads able to take objectives!
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 am

you could technically take mordrak on his own as well...
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down