Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1500 list, first army in 5 years.

+3
Rivan
DonFer
ChrisPatrickJones
7 posters

Go down

1500 list, first army in 5 years. Empty 1500 list, first army in 5 years.

Post by ChrisPatrickJones Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:03 am

So I started collecting Grey Knights after 5 years away from the hobby. I've got most of the following list, just need some advice on it (Sorry this is my first post, I would offer advice but I know hardly anything).

HQ
Grey Knight Grand Master W/Force Halberd and Storm Bolter (185 pts)
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor W/ Power Armour, Inferno Pistol and Power Sword and 3 servo skulls. W/ 4 Psykers, 2 Crusaders and 2 Death Cult Assassins. W/Inquisitorial Chimera (Multi Laser and Storm Bolter) (217 pts)

Troops
Grey Knight Strike Squad x5 W/Daemon Hammer and Razorback W/Psybolt Assualt Cannon (200 pts)
Grey Knight Strike Squad x 5 W/Psycannon and Razorback W/Lascannon (190 pts)
Grey Knight Strike Squad x 5 W/Psycannon and Razorback W/Lascannon (190 pts)
Grey Knight Terminators x 6 4W/Falchions 1W/Force Sword and Justicar W/MC Warding Stave (285 pts)

Heavy Support
Dreadknight W/Greatsword and Personal Teleporter (230 pts)

Total 1497 pts.

ChrisPatrickJones
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-04-05

Back to top Go down

1500 list, first army in 5 years. Empty Re: 1500 list, first army in 5 years.

Post by DonFer Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 am

Welcome back Brother!

I like your list. However if you are including lascannons on your RBs, I'd recommend to take the Lascannon/TL Plasmagun turret instead. Same price, better firepower (same for the assault cannon). That way you'll have nice anti tank and anti heavy infantry, which is always welcome.

Hope it helps!
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 am

Welcome to the forums and welcome back to the hobby Smile

Were you open to investing in some more models or were you planning to just work with you have?

If you we're willing to increase your force, I would highly recommend investing in a psyfleman dread or two (dreadnought w 2 x TWLautocannons + psybolts). They're really worth their points and give you good long range dakka.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 am

My advice would be to save some points by stripping back a Razorback or two (easily done with little impact by swapping the Assault Cannon to a Heavy Bolter) and putting a Heavy Incinerator on your Dreadknight.

I've found the Heavy Incinerator to be one of the most effective weapons in our arsenal, alongside the Psycannon of course.

I would also put a Daemon Hammer in your Terminator Squad - your Razorbacks are low armor targets with high value/high threat weaponry, expect them to be focused and out of the game early.

EDIT: I absolutely concur with Brother Rivan - a psyfleman dread would probably be the best investment for your list.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisPatrickJones Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 am

DonFer wrote:Welcome back Brother!

I like your list. However if you are including lascannons on your RBs, I'd recommend to take the Lascannon/TL Plasmagun turret instead. Same price, better firepower (same for the assault cannon). That way you'll have nice anti tank and anti heavy infantry, which is always welcome.

Hope it helps!

Okay cool, good way to get anti infantry in there.

ChrisPatrickJones
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisPatrickJones Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 am

jb317 wrote:My advice would be to save some points by stripping back a Razorback or two (easily done with little impact by swapping the Assault Cannon to a Heavy Bolter) and putting a Heavy Incinerator on your Dreadknight.

I've found the Heavy Incinerator to be one of the most effective weapons in our arsenal, alongside the Psycannon of course.

I would also put a Daemon Hammer in your Terminator Squad - your Razorbacks are low armor targets with high value/high threat weaponry, expect them to be focused and out of the game early.

EDIT: I absolutely concur with Brother Rivan - a psyfleman dread would probably be the best investment for your list.

But if the Heavy Incinerator is a heavy weapon then the Dreadknight couldn't assault after using it? I'll put a daemonhammer in there too, and I was planning on a psyfleman dread or two after some painting of these.

ChrisPatrickJones
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:47 am

Personal opinion on the henchmen, i'm not a big fan of psykers, if you are using them as an assault squad then i would increase crusaders / DCA's and remove the psykers as in my experience they tend not to be too effective.

Totally agree with jb317 with getting a heavy incinerator, when you shunt you need to be able to deal some damage instead of jumping in the opponents face then sitting there idle for a turn. Monstrous Creatures can assault in the same turn as firing heavy weapons.

Also a mortis dread would be a great addition to the army providing our only real long range dakka.
jay170788
jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 77
Army : GK & Fire Lords Marines
Registration date : 2011-10-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisPatrickJones Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 am

jay170788 wrote:Personal opinion on the henchmen, i'm not a big fan of psykers, if you are using them as an assault squad then i would increase crusaders / DCA's and remove the psykers as in my experience they tend not to be too effective.

Totally agree with jb317 with getting a heavy incinerator, when you shunt you need to be able to deal some damage instead of jumping in the opponents face then sitting there idle for a turn. Monstrous Creatures can assault in the same turn as firing heavy weapons.

Also a mortis dread would be a great addition to the army providing our only real long range dakka.

I didn't see it in the rulebook but i'll take your word on the heavy weapons thing. The psykers were being used for a strength 6/AP 3 blast out of the Chimera, which would be good against none marine troops.

ChrisPatrickJones
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 am

You will likely be wanting to assault with your henchmen as soon as possible and so with the 4 psykers you will likely have one shot at the marines (AP3 will ignore marine armour so that is what you want 4 psykers against) then you will want to be charging the next turn.

Plus bearing in mind scatter you may not even hit the marines at all.

Whereas if you throw in crusaders in their place they have a 3+ invul. save and they also have an AP3 attack so will stick around longer and can also ignore MEQ armour in cc.

Of course it's your list and if you fancy some crazy psyker fun throwing templates on the table and watching marines fall apart then roll with it, be sure to let us know how it goes though.
jay170788
jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisPatrickJones Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:29 am

True, i'll give it a go with psykers to start but if the squad doesn't last long then i'll probably switch to some more crusaders, cheers though.

ChrisPatrickJones
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Welcome on board brother ! cheers
The most important principle : Play what you have fun to Play ! Make your own tests according your playstyle and then... Have fun again !! Razz
Aubec pirat

Last edited by Aubec le noir on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stormknight Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:14 am

You could always use a Land Raider for your Razorbacks to gain cover from if you park them right. This may help saturate some enemy fire and provide AP2 fire power. The Land Raider is a assault vehicle which allows your units to charge after disembarking.

Agreed with Aubec on making it fun. cheers
stormknight
stormknight
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 331
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:55 am

ChrisPatrickJones wrote:True, i'll give it a go with psykers to start but if the squad doesn't last long then i'll probably switch to some more crusaders, cheers though.

We were playing a scenario from the Horus Heresy book the other day whereby we had to defend a bastion. So i placed 7 psykers in there giving me a S10 AP1 large blast thinking this is a no-brainer. Would have been awesome if they had landed just once they would have easily earnt there points back. There were in there for 5 turns, every turn they passed their psychic test every turn they scattered completely off target and on one occasion killed single terminator of mine. But i have to admit it was the most fun i had in a long time, the chaos player was very worried at maybe losing his entire squad of termies in a couple turns, then i turned to the tyranid warriors and almost wiped out all of those plus a prime but scattered a couple inches too far.

I would definitely roll with these again as long as i had a bastion to keep them alive and keeping people worried for an entire battle.
jay170788
jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down