Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lib Or Grand Master?

+3
bigbri
Aubec le noir
Eldar88
7 posters

Go down

Lib Or Grand Master? Empty Lib Or Grand Master?

Post by Eldar88 Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:00 am

I'm restarting my grey knights force, to use alongside my larger Deathwing force, but i'm unsure which HQ to use (lib or Grand Master) with a Vindicare, Land Raider and strike unit, Bearing In Mind that the my Primary detachment will all be deep striking terminator units.
Cheers

Eldar88
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 18
Army : Grey Knights, Dark Angels, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Marines, Eldar, Tau, Nids, Blood Angels, Guard,
Registration date : 2012-08-26

Back to top Go down

Lib Or Grand Master? Empty Re: Lib Or Grand Master?

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:19 am

it depends ... Razz

generally speaking ... the libbie is a good HQ choice for small GK forces (1000 to 1500 points) and the GM for larger (>1500) but it depends a lot on your playing style and the way you're feeling yourself with one or the other. I prefer the GM for his special rules, the grenades he can carry and his CT / CC awesomeness, but some brothers choose the libbie for the buffs he gives to the army and his versatility.

it depends also on your HQ choice for the deathwing, if you chose a libbie for the deathwing then choose the GM for the GK, and vice versa...

Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:51 am

If you're taking the GK as the allied detachment then I'd suggest neither: go for an Inquisitor With such a small detachment you're missing out on the GM's best use which is Grand Strategy and the Librarians main strength of buffing units(since he can only affect units from the GK codex with them). Since GK IC's can't join the DA units I'd suggest the now popular terminator psyker psycannon inquisitor. he can join the strike squad and use his psycannon and Prescience to provide some mid range fire support for the deepstrikers.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:46 am

I'd say libby is the way to go, for your force that is. You can always take advantage of his powers in your entire force, taking allies allows you to have enough scoring units in your force, so a GM is not that useful anymore.
Take the libby I say. Very Happy
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlord Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:22 am

I also prefer the GM for his Grand Strategy, grenades, and psycannon.
Overlord
Overlord
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 120
Army : Grey Knights/Chaos SM/Orks/Tyranids
Registration date : 2011-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by duncndisorderly Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:37 am

To be honest I'm inclined to agree with Aubec, it really depends on the points and the way you like to play. Personally I like a gm but with a psychic buff. That said the smallest games I play are 1500 Pts and normally 2000 so for me it's a good solid point spend
duncndisorderly
duncndisorderly
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 213
Army : GK, Blood Angels, CSM
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:31 am

If you need some of your force to be able to do other things (eg take objectives) then yes Grand Master is brilliant. Otherwise save yourself 25 points and take a Brother Captain.

Now, Grand Master vs Librarian:

Grand Master has more attacks, higher WS & Ballistic Skill, more wounds, and also cool things like melta bombs, blind grenades, rad and psychotroke. Meaning if you put him with a unit like Paladins they will be a total bitch to destroy. Oh he also has Iron Halo, so give him a sword and it's 3+ inv save in CC against AP2 or AP1 weapons.

Librarian on other hand as people have said is more of a support character.
Give him the Summoning and he can bring a dreadknight to your side from across the board. Put him with a unit that HAS to survive and give him The Shrouding and Sanctuary and that unit will be pretty unassailable.

Personally I think the Brother Captain/Grand Master is better if you want a combat oriented leader, and the librarian is better if you want a shooty army
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down