Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First time 1500 points

+3
Jotan
Tiger10
OrangeCrow
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First time 1500 points Empty First time 1500 points

Post by OrangeCrow Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:37 am

Ok so Í have seen a few matches online and thats about the whole of my Warhammer 40k experience, apart from just reading the army books.

So for a 1500 point army I was thinking of putting in:

-Kaldor Drago or GK granbmaster possibly mordrak

But for the troops and elite I was going to go with 4-6 teams of 5 man terminators.
of these teams most will have halberds but at least one team is going to have hammers.

Also I was thinking of only putting the HQ and two troops on the field then deepstriking and depending on the roll of the dice using grand stradegy to give 1-3 teams scout ability and using outflank ability.

So I know this is a bit low on specific but I was wondering if working around this I could have some help with sorting out an army?
Pretty much any help on equipment, stradegy or just generally telling me my army is terrible (if it is).

OrangeCrow
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-02-25

Back to top Go down

First time 1500 points Empty Re: First time 1500 points

Post by Tiger10 Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Wellcome to the forums Brother Orangecrow

I would have the termies in 10 men squads and then combat squad them your grand stratagy can be alocated better then and you can give the whole squads psybolts and banner if you want Very Happy

Also you may want a psifleman dread or two for HS

Tiger10
Tiger10
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 197
Army : Grey Knights, Tiger Warriors Space Marines, 14th Elysian
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeCrow Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:39 pm

I originally thought of the 10 man squads but since I don't know the field length I thought it would be easier to drop/outflank 2-4 squads of five than to march 20 termies up the field.

Also at 400 points for every 10 termies and a 1500 point game I need to be scarce with my points also what is psifleman dread?

OrangeCrow
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger10 Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Well you can still outflank the 10 man squad but when you deploy them you split them into combat squads 2x 5 man squads and they can outflank seperately just like you want, the rule is at the start of the codex for combat squads.

A psyfleman dread is a Dreadnought with two twin-linked autocannons and psybolt ammo, it represents a rifle dread, range 48" strength 8 AP 4 Heavy 4 twin-linked, awsome against vehicles armour 12 or less Very Happy
Hope this helps
Tiger10
Tiger10
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeCrow Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:16 pm

If I went ten man teams before I split them they still have to be on the field (I think), so I wouold only be able to drop one and that limits my options also as for the dreadnought I would be need to drop at 5-10 termies. So how bout this I have a the HQ which is roughly 300 points then 800 for 20 termies I deploy two 5 man squads at the beginning then drop the others in turn two as a single squad of ten which I then split into 5 for two tems as a distraction so my others can march up the field and I drop the dread. So that is roughly 1100 points plus the dread. How much is psybolt ammo or is it free?

OrangeCrow
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger10 Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:08 pm

In the codex it says that a ten man squad can make the decision to break into 5 man combat squads when they are deployed, they can be deployed in seperat locations and count as seperate units from then on.
So you can place them in your deployment zone as a 10 man or 2 seperat units, if you deepstike you role for that 10 man unit to come in and if they can you are able split them and place them in different places, same for outflank you split them before they run onto the table.
The dread cannot be dropped he must be deployed at the start or walk on later in the game.
I'm not shore if I can actually tell you how much psybolt ammo is on this forum but it dose cost a few points.

For what you have at the moment, this is what I would do
HQ
250pts is alright
10x termies, psybolts, 2x psycannons, and a banner if you want
300pts
10x termies, psybolts, 2x psycannons, and a banner if you want
300pts
dread or two
132pts or
270pts for two

1120pts 22 persons and two dreads Very Happy
add what you want

Tiger10
Tiger10
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeCrow Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:36 am

But you need at least 2
troops on the field at the start of the game.
So thats why I was going to go with 5 man squads or at least 2 with 5.

OrangeCrow
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger10 Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Ok can you teach me something, where dose it say in the rules that you must have 2 troops on the table at the start of the game, or is it a one of rule.
I can see what you mean though
Thanks Very Happy
Tiger10
Tiger10
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jotan Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:54 am

In the 40k rules, you must have AT LEAST 1 HQ and 2 Troop choices, after that you can get creative, but 1 HQ and 2 troops are the minimum. I would suggest using both Terminators and Strike Squads to filll troop choices so that you can maximize the possibilities with all the special abilities. It does take time to get used to the game and all of the other special rules other armies benefit from. It's just another part of advancing in the hobbygame. I got my arse kicked for the first month or two that I played GKs! But the longer you play the better you'll get! Very Happy
Jotan
Jotan
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 29
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger10 Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:24 am

I was meaning needing troops on the table at the start of the game, I did look again at the rules and still cannot find anything.
Tiger10
Tiger10
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeCrow Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:30 am

Pg 81 of the grey knight codex is a small example.
With the strike squads I was thinking of including less termies but putting in a purg squad.
Also how long is the average board.

OrangeCrow
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeCrow Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:32 am

Oh and Can you show some examples of good changes to the list which is (without taking points into account) 20 termies a squad of some basic (i.e. strike, purg, interceptor), a psifleman dread and some form of GKGM.

OrangeCrow
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jotan Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:49 pm

For Terminators, and practically any GK infantry, you want to give them Halberds to boost their Initiative to 6, and hopefully take out the unit before they can fight back. Swords are useless to Strike, Purg, Inter squads because they give the wielder +1 Invul, but they do not have an Invul. You pretty much just get a force weapon at no cost, but I think its always worth buying the halberds to boost the quickness of your infantry to get them into another combat ASAP.
Psycannons are your best friends for your SS (strike squads), Termies, and any independent character. With Assault 2 and Heavy 4 you can go wrong. I always put them on my Termies because they always fire at Heavy and then assault.
Iæm not too keen on Interceptor squads as they only shunt once per game... talk about death star squad... tongue Then again if you like to get right up in the face of your opponent then they work well!
For GMs, I give them warding staves to give them a 2+ invul in close combat, or you can give him an Orbital Strike Relay and keep him in the deployment zone raining down hellfire; this seems to be popular with the guys that I play with. If youære going to have that many Termies on the table then you won't really need an Independent Character in the fronlines, that being said you could throw him in there with a squad of Paladins and really wreak havoc for any unit foolish enough to assault them. The way Iæm running my list lately is with a five man Term Squad with a GM and Libby inside of a Stormraven. I leave it to the two SSs to capture/hold objectives while the termies get up close and personal with my opponent, hoping to shred the enemy lines/formations. Two Psyfle Dreads with psybolt ammo making them strength 8, perfect for popping transports and light armor. Suppress fire from the Psyfles, moving in with SSs in Rhinos and the Stormraven with Termies and two strong ICs acting as the aggressors.

Hope this is good advice for you!

P.S. You could use a LR Crusader/Redeemer in place of the Stormraven. Very Happy
Jotan
Jotan
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 pm

never, ever try justyfing paying 5 points for a higher initiative for units that should avoid combat anyway. strike, purgation and interceptors all only got 1 attack. you dont attack with these units unless you can clearly come out as the victor.

paying 25-50 points extra for 10(11 with justicar) attacks at I6 on a counter, hitting on 50% makes 5.5 hits even with hammerhand only wounding 3 of them isnt something of value. considering that you get assaulted by even semi efficient assault units you will get your butt handed. no way around it.

orbital strike relays are also something that looks good on the paper but does bad on the table. you pay 50 points for a weapon that of course got unlimited range but it cant shoot without line of sight so terrain blocking LoS is the first hindrance, the second is you cant move and shoot with them, making them even more of a point sink. if you now add to the result that the orbital strike always scatters the full 2d6 and even scatters on a hit in the direction the little arrow on the hit dice shows it becomes less and less good for its costs.

the stormraven can only carry 12 models. models in terminator armor count as 2 passengers if they ride in a vehicle. 5 terminators + GM + libby makes 14 passengers and as that unit they cannot ride in the Stormraven.

interceptors are great on objective missions, the shunt move can contest a enemy objective on last turn or if you make them scoring units via the GM you can even hold them yourself. the shunt move + 2 incinerators is also a heavy hitting combination.
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jotan Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:11 pm

So pretty much ignore everything I said in other words........ Neutral
Jotan
Jotan
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:11 pm

JPdrummer823 wrote:So pretty much ignore everything I said in other words........ Neutral

not really, no Surprised
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:04 pm

never, ever try justyfing paying 5 points for a higher initiative for units that should avoid combat anyway.

The halberds look cool. They don't make sense in terms of point economy admittedly. In fact the points cost is ridiculous when you consider purifiers with an extra attack pay fewer points. Also 20 points for an incinerator in a strike squad is a bit mad. An interceptor squad, yes, those things are crazy deadly, but a footbound strike squad?

I find interceptors are always good no matter what mission I'm playing. The 30" shunt combined with a couple of incinerators means you can get the templates exactly where you need them. They're also your most mobile infantry being able to advance and fall back 12" to keep the enemy out of assault range but in stormbolter range. I think people concentrate on the 30" move and forget that a normal jump-pack move gets you just as far as a rhino/landraider. An Interceptor Justicar with a hammer is far more likely to catch up with a vehicle and batter it than anyone else in your army. Just don't throw them into an assault with infantry unless it's absolutely necessary.

Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger10 Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Hmm, I have always wondered about the jump-infantry special rule, can they really move 12 insted of 6 like if they had a jump-pack, can someone help me with this.

About pg81 from my understanding it means that you must have 2 compulsory troop units in your army but they don't need to be on the table, eg in a Daemon army they must all start of of the table and deepstrike or any other space marine army that takes all termies, thay can all start in reserve and deepstike when they come in.
So you could have 2 10man units of termies for your troops. Very Happy
Tiger10
Tiger10
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeCrow Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 pm

How can you have 11 I thought the Justicar counts as just another squad member for a max of ten and also if you're playing basic rules which as we are just starting my group are planning on doing it says that gk can only have a max of 1 HQ.

OrangeCrow
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger10 Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:02 am

I think brother Souba ment attacks and in basic missions need to have one HQ compulsory but can have a maximum of 2.
Tiger10
Tiger10
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeCrow Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:04 am

About this rule I can actually say you mujst start the match with at least 1 HQ and 2 troops ON THE FIElD. Also if you read the codex I think from my friends codex other armies can have a max of 2 HQ yet GK can only have a max of one. Also with the termies is thawn worth getting?

OrangeCrow
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:32 am

on wich mission type are we talking here? there is only one major restriction to actually play games of warhammer 40k : having at least 1 HQ selection and 2 Troop selections. this has nothing to do with deployment rules.

with 11 attacks i meant a 10 man GK strike squad/interceptors squad/purgator squad.
9 GK got 1 attack each and the justicar got 2. makin a total of 11 attacks.
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Hmm, I have always wondered about the jump-infantry special rule, can they really move 12 insted of 6 like if they had a jump-pack, can someone help me with this.

The codex says 'units with personal teleporters are jump infantry'.
In the main rulebook it says that jump infantry move 12".

I wondered about it myself, but that's what is written unless a FAQ overides it.

Basically they can make short jumps like warpspiders or one massive one. Which is better than warpspiders because tehy're just Eldar and don't have the guts or mad skillz to hurl themselves into the warp and come out in exactly the right place.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger10 Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Yes! thanks for the help Brother Sai

And brother Souba is correct the Force Organisation Chart for standard missions has nothing to do with deployment rule for what must be on the table.
Tiger10
Tiger10
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeCrow Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:22 am

ohhhh, ok.
So then what is the point of the organisation chart?

OrangeCrow
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next