Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing

5 posters

Go down

Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing Empty Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing

Post by Rivan Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:16 am

Played the 4th week game last night and matched up vs. Ravenwing/Deathwing. Turned out to be another fun filled game although it didn't end up as close as my previous encounter w/ Deathwing.

His list:
Sammael on jetbike
Belial
6 x bikes (2 plasma guns, 1 PF, 1 apthecary, 1 banner)
1 x attack bike
10 x marines (1 lascannon, 1 plasma gun); RB w/ TWLLC
5 x termies (CML, banner, all have TH/SS)
5 x termies (CML, apothecary, banner, 3 LCs, 2 TH/SS)
LRC w/ MM
3 x typhoon speeders

He has 12 KP and all his bikes and infantry are scoring due to Sam and Bel. His bikes also have Scouts.
Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing IMG_3620

My list:
GM w/ staff, incinerator, rad, psychostroke
6 x Purifiers w/ 2 psycannons, 1 hammer, 3 halberds; Rhino
6 x Purifiers w/ 1 incinerator, 1 hammer, 4 halberds; RB w/ TWLAC w/ psybolts
10 x GKSS w/ 2 psycannons, 1 hammer; RB w/ TWLLC
7 x GKT w/ 1 incinerator/halberd, 2 hammers, 2 halberds, 1 staff, B. banner
8 x GKIS w/ 1 incinerator, 1 hammer, psybolt ammo
LRC w/ MM
1 x Psyfleman dread
Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing IMG_3621

Mission: Kill points (primary), Objectives (secondary), Quarters (tertiary)
Deployment: Pitched battle
He wins roll off and decides to go first.

Pre-game thoughts: Again, we're pretty even--his 12 KP vs my 11KP. I use GS to make 2 units (interceptors and 1 purifier squad) scoring to give me 4 scoring (possibly 5 if I combat squad the GKSS). Obviously, his speeders will be priority targets being very mobile and fragile. And if I can get my LRC and HQ into his lines, it should go well for me.

His deployment:
Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing IMG_3622
He kept the TH/SS squad in reserve.

My deployment:
Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing IMG_3623
I deployed LRC/HQ, the dread and the empty laserback. GKSS will DS. Purifiers and Interceptors will come in from the board edge.

*Before the game started, his bikes used Scouts to reach the center of the board.
I attempt to seize initiative and SUCCEED! cheers My opponent said "Oh crap!" Razz

I'm just going to summarize w/ highlights:
- 2 things dictated the outcome of this game: First was me stealing the initiative. I knocked out his attack bike (which was the immediate threat to my LRC) right off the bat. Second, he had a horrible 1st turn shooting phase where all his speeders either missed or failed to pen my dread and laserback.
- It was predominantly a shooting match where I jumped to the lead because of his 1st turn bad dice rolls. I quickly knocked out his speeders and Sammael.
- My LRC was able to blow up his via the MM and my HQ squad just ate up Belial and his termies. He couldn't believe how devastating psychostroke grenades can be Very Happy

Final tally: GK - 8KP RW/DW - 4KP Grey Knights win again! cheers

This puts me at 4 -0 with only 2 weeks to go. Only two other players are undefeated as well. One is a BT missile spam list and the other one is a Necron storm list. I will most likely face one of them next week.

Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing Empty Re: Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing

Post by Constantine Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Congrats on the slaughter Brother Rivan!!!
I must admit that I thought this would have been a closer battle than it was... Great job!
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing Empty Re: Local Tourney 2000pts: GK vs Ravenwing/Deathwing

Post by Aubec le noir Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:02 pm

It seems, The Emperor has blessed you with cheer luck, brother Rivan... you're in the winning path !! cheers
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks Brothers. There is a high probability I will face the BT player. I'm seriously considering fielding a GKT heavy list backed up with 2 NDKs and a psyfleman dread Smile

What do you guys think?
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:57 am

Yes !! a cc army !! cheers cheers
personally i prefer a battle won in cc that a shooting contest ... so i'd like you use a GKT and NDK heavy army !
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:46 am

Rivan wrote:Thanks Brothers. There is a high probability I will face the BT player. I'm seriously considering fielding a GKT heavy list backed up with 2 NDKs and a psyfleman dread Smile

What do you guys think?

I would say that if this build exploits the BT's weaknesses then go for it, but if it is meeting them where they are strongest then no.
I would say that this list will have a lot of shooting that can thin their numbers, and will be very capable of finishing the job in CC.
Any idea what will be in his list?
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 am

Yup. He has 3 cyclone ML from 3 5-man termie squads w/ tank hunters plus he has 8 typhoon speeders. He also has 3 lascannons from 3 5-man crusader squads. This means he can shoot:
Vs. vehicles: equivalent of 9 lascannon shots and 16 missiles
Vs. infantry: 3 lascannons and 22 S8 AP3 shots

This is why I'm planning to use:
GM w/ psycannon, psychostroke, 2 skulls
10 x GKT w/ 2 psycannons, psybolts
10 x GKT w/ 2 psycannons, psybolts
5 x GKIS w/ 1 incinerator
NDK w/ PT, great sword & HI
NDK w/ PT, HI & GP
Psyfleman dread

The idea is to minimize power armored units as well as vehicles. The 2 NDKs will breathe down his neck while the GKTs get within 24" range.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:22 pm

I think that this is a great list against the BTs
There are a lot of threats that he will be forced to choose from while you are getting into range. The quick moving GKIS and NDKs can not be ignored, neither can the advance of the GKTs, GM, and Dread.

When is the slaughter...I mean fight scheduled? Razz
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:29 pm

The game will be next wednesday.

If he can stop me from reaching him, chances are he'll win. If I can reach him, I'll probably win since his units are quite soft Smile
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:33 am

Excellent work again Brother Rivan, bit of shame for your opponent that his rolls failed him right off the bat.
As for the BT looks like you have a solid list, like I said before negating his AP3 advantage is key and lots of 2+ bodies will accomplish that. From the quick math I did all his missiles should only average out 2-3 dead termies per turn, of course he also has to contend with shunting NDK's in his face and the psyfleman decimating his speeders so he'll probably have other things on his mind, definitely looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. As a lapsed BT player I have to say it's nice to see that we can occasionally hold our own against the newer 'dexes, but as a GK player I have to say crush him lol

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks Bigbri.

It should prove to be an interesting game. The BT player is very calculating and he definitely knows how to use his army.

One of the rules of this tourney is that players can bring different lists from week to week (as long as its the same army). He's seen me use several tanks in the previous weeks so not sure if he's expecting me to change my list. He may be prompted to change his list as well Razz
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:12 am

ah ... the sweet uncertainty prior a battle !!
as Gary Oldman says in the picture "Leon" : "I love those little moment before storm !" Razz Razz
i'm with you in spirit brother ! Wink
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:23 am

Your able to change your army list like that during the tourney Rivan??
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:44 am

@Zealadin: Yup. Its a local 6-week tourney at my LGS and it doesn't have the same restrictions as a GT. As you can see, my models aren't even painted Razz

Players have to use the same army throughout the whole tourney but can switch it up from week to week. The only parameter is you have to have your list and models ready when you get to the store. Since a computer program pairs the match ups, you don't know who you'll be facing until the start of the game. You can't change or make your list after you see who your opponent is or what he has on the table. In my case, I will most likely play the BT player since we may be the only 2 undefeated players right now. Not sure if the necrons player won or lost last week. If I end up playing somebody else, I think my list is still safely viable (as long as the opponent doesn't have a ton of high S low AP weapons Razz ).
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:48 pm

Hmm thats a cool way of finding out what works and developing your list.

The high S low AP army is always a threat with lots of GKTs Razz
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down