Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member, new player, need help against dogs!

3 posters

:: Community

Go down

New member, new player, need help against dogs! Empty New member, new player, need help against dogs!

Post by Sonarius Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:32 am

So I recently won a contest at a local hobby store for about $1000 worth of free stuff. And naturally, what else would I choose to go for than the Astartes who stand knees-above everyone else [because they just chopped everyone elses legs off at the knees], the Grey Knights? ...Well, ok I also got some models for some IG and Blood Angels and Ultramarines, but those are a side project. I'm focusing instead on the Grey Knights, whose design, purpose, and stories I've absolutely loved. The rest are pretty cool, but ultimately, hunting daemons seems a few [thousand] notches more ballsy than hunting a bunch of skinny pointy-ears or a bunch of suicidally-stupid greenskins.

SO! I'm new here, new to the game, new to the hobby...new to everything except the universe, which I fell in love with six years ago via the literature and seeing the models people have painted at hobby stores. I've begun building a couple 500 pt. lists to start off with [I've only gotten a few of my models, and even fewer so far have been assembled and painted; most of them had to be special-ordered since it seems Grey Knights players are fairly common where I live].

Here's two of them:
Investigative Unit

HQ:
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor + Power Armor/Psybolt Ammunition/Combi-Flamer/Daemonblade = 63 pts

Retinue:
1 – Banisher = 15 pts
2 – Crusader = 15 pts
3 – Crusader = 15 pts
4 – Jokaero Weaponsmith = 35 pts
5 – Mystic = 10 pts
6 – Psyker = 10 pts
7-9 – Warrior Acolyte + Boltguns + carapace armor = 27 pts

Troops:
1 – Grey Knight Strike Squad + Psybolt ammunition + Psycannon + Nemesis Force Halberds (3) + Master Crafted (Storm Bolter) = 155 pts
2 – Grey Knight Strike Squad + Psybolt ammunition + Incinerator + Nemesis Force Halberds (2) + Master Crafted (Nemesis Force Halberd) = 155 pts

Daemonic Incursion Strike Force

HQ:
Librarian + Nemesis Warding Stave + Psybolt ammunition + Dark Excommunication/The Shrouding/Smite/The Summoning + Teleport Homer + Master Crafted Storm Bolter = 230

Troops:
1 – Grey Knight Strike Squad + Psilencer + Psybolt Ammunition + Nemesis Force Halberds (2) = 130
2 – Grey Knight Strike Squad + Psycannon + Psybolt Ammunition + Nemesis Force Halberds (2) = 140

I was hoping for some feedback on those, and also, I was going to go up against a friend who plays, predictably, Space Wolves. He was very eager to suggest we play against each other...especially so when I mentioned I had selected Grey Knights as my primary army of choice. I have noticed a minor rivalry of sorts between Wolves and Knights players...so I want to strike a blow for the GK players by, as a rookie, schooling my more experienced friend's space mutts. And what better way to do that than by gaming the system a little bit by asking some advice from the community? Very Happy

Namely, what should I most likely expect from him, and what should I do to maximize the potential of my GKs?
Sonarius
Sonarius
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 19
Army : Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, Cadian 5th "Chaos-killers," Blood Angels, Ultramarines.
Registration date : 2011-09-06

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

New member, new player, need help against dogs! Empty Re: New member, new player, need help against dogs!

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:48 pm

welcome on board brother
about your 2 lists
the GKSS deserve halberds : the +2 I is paramount
by the way how much are your GKSS in the GK squads ?
about your libbie (i love the GK libbie) : if you encounter SW you don't need dark excommunication (save the points for another option)
the psycannon is way better than the psylancer and if you don't want 2 psycannons in your squads the incinerator is even better than the psylancer.
final note : you may lack anti-tank power ... but i don't know if your SW friend use lots of vehicles so you may not need A/T power.
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

New member, new player, need help against dogs! Empty Re: New member, new player, need help against dogs!

Post by Sonarius Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Much appreciated for that! I can tweak the list for the Incursion Unit to remove Dark Exc., and I might have to do a bit of rebalancing. I think I wrote the list under the assumption that my GKSS would get a +1 inv. save but then I re-read the codex just now; seems I didn't read the part about the +1 inv. save only being added to existing inv. saves and not being added if there is no save to begin with; in other words, useful for termies, useless for strike squads. At 500 pts, I don't imagine my friend will be bringing any armor to bear...but I might need to prepare for that contingency somehow.
Sonarius
Sonarius
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 19
Army : Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, Cadian 5th "Chaos-killers," Blood Angels, Ultramarines.
Registration date : 2011-09-06

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by nquenga Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:58 am

In 500 points the extent of his armor will probably be Rhinos or Razorbacks. Which the psycannons can take care of easily.

All of your squads seem fairly balanced, perhaps equipping them with a bit more specialties would be helpful. For example, a strike squad with psybolts and psycannon, then the second with incinterator or no special gun, hammer and halberds. One in front, one as backup.

For the Librarian, I'm a huge fan of sanctuary. Especially against another elite assault army, each kill will help and they will probably run into assault with you to avoid the Knights' primary strength of close range shooting.

One of the keys I've found for Knights is getting things to work together. For example, the Librarian augmenting a squad and an inquisitor with fun grenades with another squad. Try out some different combinaitons; Knights are scary by themselves but terrifying (for example) at S5 from hammerhand against T3 marines due to rad grenades.

nquenga
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 27
Army : Knights, Blood Angels successor, Necrons, Tyranids
Registration date : 2011-08-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down