Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first 1500pt list

+3
Rivan
TheCrimsonGlass
ossidium
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My first 1500pt list Empty My first 1500pt list

Post by ossidium Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi all,
I am fairly new to the game, and I won't lie - I chose the GKs cause they look hella cool. Here is my 1500 list... I know the DK @300 pts should be removed, but he looks so strong on paper? Should I be replacing him with more troops? Also, I really love the Librarian and GM as HQs, so I have both... I am going to assume you will all suggest dropping one Smile
Also, I kind of don't want transport vehicles for now...

Any advice is welcome, I don't know a lot lol...

HQ1
Librarian = 195pts total
Sword/bolter = 0pts
Psybolt ammo = 5pts
3 skulls = 15pts
Might, warp rift, quicksilver, sanctuary, shrouding = 25pts

HQ2
GM = 200pts total
Halberd/bolter = 5pts
Psybolt ammo = 5pts
Rad Grenades = 15pts

TROOPS 1
7x Terminators = 350pts total
Halberd x5, Hammer x1, Banner x1, Psycannon x1 = 50pts
Psybolt ammo = 20pts

TROOPS 2
10x Strike Squad = 280pts total
Halberd x8, Psycannon x2 = 60pts
Psybolt ammo = 20pts

TROOPS 3
6x Strike Squad = 175pts total
Halberd x5, Psycannon x1 = 35pts
Psybolt ammo = 20pts

HEAVY
1x Nemesis Dreadknight = 300pts total
Greatsword, heavy incinerator, heavy psycannon = 95pts
Personal teleporter = 75pts

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Back to top Go down

My first 1500pt list Empty Re: My first 1500pt list

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:07 pm

The dreadknight is very strong, but he's not 300 points of strong. He's only particularly effective when you use 2 with something like a heavy incinerator and greatsword. If you only use 1, then it gets blown to bits pretty quickly.

There's not really much point in taking a strike squad of only 6 guys. I'd try to make it a 10-man strike squad personally. On that note, halberds are way too expensive for the regular strike squadders. They're great on terminators, paladins, and purifiers because they are actually cost effective. I know you said you don't want any vehicles, but really strike squads need to be in a vehicle. This is coming from my own experience. You lose so many models very quickly if they are not in a rhino or something. The terminators are a little better on foot, but a land raider crusader wouldn't be a bad thing to try and squeeze in there. You could drop the dreadknight, halberds on the strike squads, and either a terminator or one of your HQ's (your choice on that one) to bump up the 6-man strike squad to a 10-man strike squad, stick them both in rhinos, and add a land raider crusader.

If you don't have enough points to add those things, then I'd start dropping the psybolt ammo, especially on the independent characters. If the psybolt ammo isn't benefiting at least 7 or 8 guys, then it's really not cost effective. If it's benefiting 8 guys, then that's 2.5 points per person for psybolt ammo, but it's 5 points on the independent characters.

I personally like that you've made a list with both the GM and the librarian. If you stick them both in the terminator squad and keep the rest of the army close by (to receive buffs from the librarian), then it would be a pretty powerful force.

EDIT: Okay, after adding a few things up, you could drop the dreadknight, 1 terminator, all the halberds on the strike squads, the psybolt ammo on both the GM and librarian, 1 servo skull, and quicksilver to get enough points for 4 more guys in the strike squad, another psycannon in the strike squad, a rhino for each strike squad, and a land raider crusader to put the terminators, GM, and librarian in. I'm not telling you to do this; I'm simply telling you that's what I would do if I were going to use this list for myself.

Last edited by BrentK on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 619
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi Brent,

Thanks for your feedback.

To your point...
I personally like that you've made a list with both the GM and the librarian. If you stick them both in the terminator squad and keep the rest of the army close by (to receive buffs from the librarian), then it would be a pretty powerful force.
...this is what I am trying to do. Me and my buddy are just starting out, so that's why we said no vehicles. Also, I find the Halberds soooo much better than swords. +2I seems amazing. I could drop the dreadknight and psybolt ammo on my HQs (310pts) and make the termie squad 10 + GM + Librarian... would that be cool?

As for the strike squads, maybe make one purifiers? Not sure if thats better?
Thanks for the help!

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 pm

First off, welcome to Titan Brother!

You pretty much answered some of your questions already Razz Having 2 high-cost HQ's in a 1500 pt list eats up points quickly. You may want to go with 1 of them, or alternatively, get a cheaper second HQ (like a Brother Champion or even one of the Inquisitors).

Nothing wrong with wanting to go on foot...you just need to tailor your list to give your units good shooting range and/or some form of mobility (e.g. interceptor squads).

Dreadknight is an awesome model/unit and does look very strong on paper. On the table, they will perform better with the proper build like having a pair of them or working with other high-value, high-threat units that will force your opponent to distribute his shooting. By his lonesome, he will get shot down fairly quickly.

I'm sure our other Brothers here will be more than happy to chime in also regarding other good tips.

Lastly, try to refrain from listing detailed point costs for units and wargear. I think it has something to do with legal prohibitions from GW and I'm sure we don't want to get in legal trouble with them. Most of our Brothers here will be able to figure out the point costs fairly quickly anyway.

Again, welcome aboard! Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Ah yes, if you made room to fill up the terminator squad and deep striked it near one of your skulls, then it would be a pretty solid strategy.

EDIT: +2I is amazing for units that can both get it for cheap and have a base 2 attacks. That's why the halberds are great for purifiers. Honestly, you've got enough troops, why not make one of your strike squads into a purifier squad full of halberds/psycannons? Like I said though, I wouldn't take halberds on strike squads, you're paying 5 points to change 1 attack from I4 to I6. If you put it on a purifier then you're paying 2 points (I think it's 2 at least) to change 2 attacks from I4 to I6, meaning it's 20% of the cost on purifiers. The more I think about it, the better is seems to have a full 10 terminators with 2 psycannons and the GM/librarian attached. They can deep strike down using the servo skulls.

EDIT2: Unfortunately, if you want a powerful GK list that has strike squads, then those strike squads really should be in a rhino. It's just the way the game works really.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks again to both of you, here is the currently revised list... (sorry about the points/legal thing, won't happen again)

Thanks for the welcome! I am SUPER excited to play this game WOOOT!

EDIT: I just saw your suggestion about purifiers... I'll have to look into that now Razz looking at the codex, does that mean 10 purifiers can get 4 psycannons????

Also, I am shy to ask, but what is deep striking, is it like drop pods? Sad

1440 pts army Sad

HQ1 190pts
Librarian
Sword/bolter
3 skulls, Might, warp rift, quicksilver, sanctuary, shrouding

HQ2 195 pts
GM
Halberd/bolter
Rad Grenades

TROOPS 1 495pts
10x Terminators
Halberd x8, Hammer x1, Banner x1, Psycannon x2
Psybolt ammo

TROOPS 3 280pts
10x Strike Squad
Halberd x8, Psycannon
Psybolt ammo

TROOPS 3 280pts
10x Strike Squad
Halberd x8, Psycannon x2
Psybolt ammo

Last edited by ossidium on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edit 1)

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Blargh! I forgot to say WELCOME! Very Happy

Anywho, the list is looking better, but I still insist that putting one strike squad in a rhino and making the other one into a purifier squad is the best way to go. Deep striking is in the back of small rulebook and in the last page or two of the actually rules section of the big rulebook. Anything in terminator armor or with the "Deep Strike" special rule can do it. It's when you keep a unit in reserves instead of deploying them. You use dice rolls starting on turn 2 to see if they come in that turn or not. If they do, then you can put them anywhere on the board. However, they will scatter. You roll the scatter dice and 2D6 to determine how far and which direction the unit scatters. If they scatter into an enemy unit, terrain, or anything like that, then the unit suffers a random (determined by a dice roll) deep strike mishap. A deep strike mishap can be anything from the unit being delayed until a later turn to the unit being completely destroyed. This makes it very dangerous to deep strike. However, if you deep strike within 12" of your own servo skull (the servo skull must be yours, not your opponent's), then you only scatter 1D6, so it's not nearly as dangerous.

I suggest reading the section in the rulebook about it, as I definitely didn't explain it quite to the fullest. You basically trade having a unit out on the first turn for putting the unit wherever you want with the risk of something bad happening to that unit.

Also, might I suggest trying to fit some psychotroke grenades on your GM? They are a lot of fun and powerful.

EDIT: I would also like to restress that halberds on strike squads just aren't worth it; you simply don't have enough attacks in close combat to use them effectively.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:47 pm

OK, your help is appreciated so much it is crazy! Razz

Here is my third version (yes work is a little slow right now lol...) I really don't know what to do with the strike squad since I don't have room for a rhino/gunship etc... Also, if I remove the halberds (i see your point) where do I use the points?

PS, I added the grenades lol.

1487 pts army

HQ1 190pts
Librarian
Sword/bolter

HQ2 210 pts
GM
Halberd/bolter
Rad + Psychotroke Grenades

ELITES 1 312pts
10x Purifiers
Halberd x6, Psycannon x4
Psybolt ammo

TROOPS 1 495pts
10x Terminators
Psybolt ammo

TROOPS 2 280pts
10x Strike Squad
Halberd x8, Psycannon
Psybolt ammo

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:51 pm

Okay, this list is getting pretty good-lookin' if ya know what I'm sayin'...

Really though, notice that you 8 halberds on the strike squad. Also notice that the halberds are 5 points each, totaling 40 points for the halberds. One last thing to notice: a rhino costs 40 points. I'm not sure if I can be any more clear in the matter haha! I would drop the halberds, add a rhino, and add a second psycannon to the strike squad. That should put you at 1497 points! cheers

You'll have to be pretty darn careful with the purifiers since they aren't in a rhino.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:59 pm

List is defintely coming along nicely. If you're getting a rhino, I'd say the purifiers need it more since they don't have the option to DS.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 pm

Ah, yes Rivan is definitely correct there. Hmmmm I'm actually interested in how this list would fare by deep striking the terminators and strike squad with the purifiers in a rhino. The rhino would be the only thing to shoot at for a while, so it probably wouldn't last very long in all honesty haha. You said you're playing against your friend? What army is he playing? Twisted Evil
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:05 pm

thanks for the advice guys... i didnt realize a rhino was only 40 pts hello?!?! Razz
i can for sure add that to the purifiers...

he is running blood angels... but i dont want an anti-blood angels list, we just wanna have fun and learn Smile

i also dont want to DS terminators, i want them moving with my 2 HQs as one giant squad of power! Razz

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:12 pm

I was only curious; I wasn't going to suggest designing a list specifically to beat your buddy (I know I certainly don't do that).

Nothing wrong with not DS'ing the terminators, but I do suggest DS'ing the strike squad. As long as they don't have a transport, they need something to keep them safe.

And yes, rhinos/razorbacks are deliciously cheap Very Happy
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:17 pm

ok, I am going to revise my list tonight and post it up Smile

Thanks for the help! PS, i suck at painting as of right now lol

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:19 pm

No problem, glad to help a fellow brother! Want to get good at painting? Practice, practice, and practice some more. Take your time, and just keep painting things. Reading up on techniques is also a good idea.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm

yeah lots of practice coming up Smile debating making my knights white...

also, should the strike squad or purifiers have a hammer? I ask because I assembled one with it already lol...

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Being your models, you can paint them however you like Very Happy

They should definitely each have 1 hammer (the justicar in the strike squad should have a hammer). I can't believe I overlooked that!
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:48 am

Hail fellow Brethren of Titan!

Here it is, the super grey knight jesus list Razz
Still debating on colour... lol
is it worth having the 10x strike squad, or should I just get another 5x terminators with some upgrades?

1497 pts army

HQ1 190pts
Librarian
Sword/bolter

HQ2 205 pts
GM
Sword/bolter
Rad + Psychotroke Grenades

ELITES 1 357pts
10x Purifiers
Halberd x5, Hammer x1, Psycannon x4
Psybolt ammo
Transport: Rhino

TROOPS 1 495pts
10x Terminators
Psybolt ammo

TROOPS 2 250pts
10x Strike Squad
Sword x7, Hammer x1, Psycannon x2
Psybolt ammo

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:44 am

Probably the GKSS for bodies, scoring, and firepower.
If you wanted more GKT you really would want more like 10, and to lose one HQ, although it depends how much use you get out of the GM.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:48 am

Looks good. I would keep the strike squad because if you've got a bunch of guys with 2+ saves and just one squad with a 3+ save, guess what's going down first. With 2 squads of GK's in power armor, it's not as obvious a choice for the opponent. Sure the purifiers are more of a direct threat, but they're in a rhino, and the strike squad is scoring. You want to force your opponent to make these kinds of decisions. I say play the list like it is, but if you ever feel like the strike squad just gets taken out too quickly, then drop psybolt ammo on the purifiers and the strike squad.

Be sure to write up a battle report Wink

Also on the color, go to a bunch of Warhammer 40k forums (this one included) and look at the painting section in each one. You can do a search in the forums' search boxes for Grey Knights, and you might find some inspiration there.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:53 am

ok thanks guys, ill build this list and see what happens Razz

on the note of colour, I think I am going to prime white, and try to mix mithril silver with the Asuremen (spelling??) blue to get a really bright silverish/bluish... i want the knights to be bright instead of dark like i've seen on the web...
edit: something like this: My first 1500pt list IMG_1794

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:58 am

Not a bad choice by any means. On the picture you posted specifically, I feel like there's not quite enough gold highlights around the should/head area. That's just me though.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:03 am

I agree with you.
The other colour I am debating... is all white knights, with gold and red highlights...

anyways, i won't derail the topic about 1500 list with colour discussion... but yeah Smile

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by ossidium Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:51 pm

hey guys,
in my purifier squad, should i switch one psycannon for an incinerator??

ossidium
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:04 pm

I would say its acceptable. Since you can only fire 2 psycannons out of the rhino's hatch anyway. Having 1 incinerator can be useful against an entrenched unit. That's an almost guaranteed 4-5 wounds w/ no cover. Also saves you 10 its for other stuff.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content