Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All GK 2000 pts list

5 posters

Go down

All GK 2000 pts list Empty All GK 2000 pts list

Post by Rivan Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Working on my latest all GK 2000pt list. Pretty happy with it but just can't decide on one last unit. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback to help me decide one way or the other.

The confirmed units:

HQ - GM w/ m-c staff, 'cinnie, digital weapons, rad & PS grenades, 3 skulls
EL - 7 x Paladins (1 pcannon/halberd, 1 'cinnie/halberd, 1 hammer, 1 warding staff, 1 b.banner, 1 halberd, 1 falchions)
TR 1- 10 x GKSS (2 pcannons, 1 hammer, 7 swords)
Rhino
TR 2- 10 x GKSS (2 pcannons, 1 hammer, 7 swords)
FA - SR
HS - LRC

Total comes up to 1690pts.

Choices:

A) 10 x GKIS (1 pcannon, 1 'cinnie, psybolt ammo) = 310pts to make an even 2000pts.

B) NDK w/ p.teleporter, NGS, h. 'cinnie = 260pts and I still have 50pts to play with (possibly give both GKSS psybolts and change one of the pcannons from TR 2 to a 'cinnie)

Both options are viable IMO. I like the Interceptors because of their flexibility (mobility, combat squad, contesting ability, etc). However, I also like the NDK because it can deal with almost anything (specially walkers and MC). The NDK might have better synergy with my other units as it provides another high value target other than the LRC. In short, my LRC probably has a better chance of getting to the enemy lines with a NDK advancing right with it. It is primarily because of this that I'm leaning towards the NDK. But can't make up my mind yet scratch

C & C welcome Smile

EDIT:

I guess I do have a 3rd option: 10 x Purifiers w/ 2 'cinnies, 1 hammer, 7 halberds is only 259pts. Their a beast in CC but lack the game-mobility of both the NDK and the Interceptors...hmmm...
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

All GK 2000 pts list Empty Re: All GK 2000 pts list

Post by Souba Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:17 pm

very solid list, i would say go with option A. having those guys up your sleeve will be a better bargain than the NDK. plus you can give them scoring, combat squad them and you have 2 objective grabbers. as for the ndk you just got one that wont even get a cover save most of the time if you have to take objectives.
against walkers and MC's you got enough up your sleeve. you got enough psycannons to shoot most things down before they become a real threat on top of that you got those nasty hammers.
the NDK has so few survivability comparing to the interceptors if hes in the field. only save spots are in combat but you have to get there first.
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:56 pm

This is indeed a tough choice. I wouldn't count out the NDK's survivability so quickly Souba. With the LRC, SR and paladins on the field, there will be more than just the NDK as a high priority target. I think I'm leaning very slightly towards the IS just because the NDK is more likely to get tied up in CC for a couple turns.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 619
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:37 pm

i took that into consideration brother BrentK. but what goes against the NDK is still the same. as playing the enemy i prioritze targets that can cause me some trouble. of course the paladins, SR and LRC are on the field however in the first 2 turns they wont do much but shooting wich i can get enough defence against, armor saves.. invul saves and of course cover saves/smoke saves.
as the NDK with his heavy incinerator is able to ignore cover saves by shooting comparing to the LRC and the SR he instantly becomes a bigger threat for my infantry and light vehicles, thanks to the good range of it.

and on top of that is able to hit my vehicles in close combat where i dont get any armor or cover saves at all. the worst thing hower is, that thing is a monstrous creature that rerolls to hit, to wound and to penetrate... i will target it first because thanks to beeing a monstrous creature that thing will wreck most vehicles up instantly thanks to S6/7 +2d6 arpen.
sure i could move my vehicles a bit to let that thing hit on 4+ or 6+ but that would take away a good chunk of my offensive abilitys.

i always fight many lists on wich there are multiple vehicles or long range infantry that lay down some extreme firing power. their only weakness is close combat, especially against a MC. as i said before. against all those shooting, i got my cover. no matter how high the strength or AP is. paying those massive points for a enemys high priority target is just a waste in my opinion
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Ah yes you make a good point Brother. They may all be high priority targets, but not necessarily at the same time. I'm inclined to think that you could have the SR up in the mess with him, but that wouldn't be enough to overshadow the obvious threat that the NDK represents on turns 1 and 2. You could always give him scouts and outflank him, but this would be a bad idea for obvious reasons in objectives games. Given that insight, I'm leaning more towards preferring the IS squad here.

I would like to add, though, that my NDK has been more useful overall in the games I've played than my IS, but I've been playing my IS very foolishly. Given more practice in figuring out the best way they meld with my army, I'm sure their value will be more than evident. I'm a very big fan of anything that can teleport really...
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks for the discussions Brothers. Admittedly it is a hard choice to make because a lot of scenarios are situational. But it looks like the flexibility of the Interceptors can benefit more situations than a NDK. Since I'm planning to use this list in a GT setting vs. "all comers", I'll probably go with the Interceptors.

Using a NDK just seemed more fun Razz Thanks again!
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Ok, here's the list I used vs SW from my last batrep. I think it could do well vs. most armies when used properly.

HQ - GM w/ m-c warding stave, 'cinnie, digitial weapons, rad, ps, 3 skulls
EL - 7 x Pallies (1 p-cannon/halberd, 1 'cinnie/halberd, 1 BB, 1 hammer, 1 warding stave, 1 falchions, 1 halberd)
TR - 10 x GKSS (2 p-cannons, 1 hammer, 7 swords); Rhino
TR - 10 x GKSS (2 p-cannons, 1 hammer, 7 swords)
FA - 10 x GKIS (1 p-cannon, 1 'cinnie, 8 swords, psybolt ammo)
FA - SR w/ TWLMM & TWLLC
HS - LRC

Here's a tweaked list I'm going to try out.

HQ - same
EL - same
TR - 10 x GKSS (2 p-cannons, 1 hammer, 7 swords, psybolt ammo)
TR - 5 x GKSS (1 p-cannon, 4 swords)
FA - 10 x GKIS (2 p-cannons, 8 swords, psybolt ammo)
FA - 5 x GKIS (1 'cinnie, 4 swords)
FA - SR w/ TWLLC & TWLMM
HS - LRC

I basically gave up the rhino and now have 15 Interceptors and 15 SS (compared to 10 Interceptors and 20 SS in the first list). I now have potentially 3 squads (if the 10-man GKIS break up) that have mobile shooting. Furthermore, I now have 2 10-man squads that are packing S5 stormbolters on the move. The SS can either DS in or one of them can start the game embarked in the SR.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm liking your army Brother! But as posted in another thread I rather use two LRC or 2 SR. That way you focus your strategy to only one vehicle and not two. I think that a lone SR is always first choice to be put down, but two is scarier and hard to suppress. Same with the LRCs. Your opponent will have to split fire to deal with both of them.

Very Happy
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Wouldn't the opponent also have to split fire to deal with a SR and a LRC together though? Sure they would have to choose between one or the other instead of "just shoot at the closest one" or whatever, but it'll still be split fire nonetheless.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Razz Both valid points Brothers. In this case, I actually want my opponents to concentrate on the LRC. My SR would usually serve as an actual gunship w/ no passengers or sometimes have my GKSS or GKIS onboard. Regardless, it will hopefully register as the lower threat compared to the LRC. The LRC stands the best chance of weathering AT fire anyway and this also increases the SR's survivability and allow it to contribute more in shooting.

Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:22 pm

It's an interesting decision your opponent has to make. Shoot at the SR which is easier to kill for a greater chance of neutralizing 200+ points from your army, or shoot at the LRC which is harder to kill but is delivering a squad of CC death to his army.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:43 pm

@BrentK: I know you asked me in one of the threads whether I could fit a libby in my list. After repeatedly getting hit by psychic attacks (especially JOTWW--I even lost my GM to it!), I think I may want a libby in a tourney list. I lose 4 bodies but it looks like it may be worth it.

HQ - GM w/ NWS, 'cinnie, rad, p/s, digital weapons, 2 skulls
HQ - Libby w/ NWS, Sanctuary, Shrouding, Quicksilver & Warp Rift
EL - 6 Paladins (2 pcannons, banner, NWS, assorted weapons)
TR - 10 GKSS (2 pcannons, 1 hammer, psybolts); RB w/ TWLLC
TR - 6 GKSS (1 pcannon); RB w/ TWLLC
FA - 10 GKIS (1 pcannon, 1 'cinnie, m-c hammer, psybolts)
HS - LRC w/ psybolts

I'm down to 34 infantry + 3 tanks. The only reason I have 35pts sitting w/ the libby for his NWS is because its not enough to really add another unit and not sure if upgrades on the other units will be more worth it.

Not too happy w/ this list yet so I'll have to test it out and see how it does.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Well that other list that we've been discussing contains 2 dreads. You could actually march them forward with the rest of the army for the improved aegis. Aside from that, a libby would be your best bet against JOTWW (I hate that power just as much as you do...).
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Funny you should mention that Razz I was just looking at the lists side by side and I guess an alternative to the libby WOULD be the dreads. Although they won't be much of a pyschic defense for the HQ unit who'll usually be right in the frontlines. They do however, provide excellent fire support to help ensure the LRC GETS to the frontline Smile
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:31 pm

Yeah. Those Rune Priests like to hide in their RB's. Those dreads like to blow up RB's and have reinforced aegis. I would say they're not a bad counter. It would be much nicer if they were venerable so that they could last longer, but the points just aren't there without taking out a paladin or 2 (which I am not willing to do).
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:50 pm

Same here. The minimum optimum squad size for me is 6 paladins to make really good use of the banner and the grenades' effects. I wish I could have 7 but I will have to give up more bodies.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Yeah for sure. The points on the banner aren't worth it unless you're getting a lot of extra attacks with it. 6 is probably a good number to use as a hard minimum. I personally also like the idea of filling up that LRC.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by elugin Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:52 pm

Rivan wrote:@BrentK: I know you asked me in one of the threads whether I could fit a libby in my list. After repeatedly getting hit by psychic attacks (especially JOTWW--I even lost my GM to it!), I think I may want a libby in a tourney list. I lose 4 bodies but it looks like it may be worth it.

HQ - GM w/ NWS, 'cinnie, rad, p/s, digital weapons, 2 skulls
HQ - Libby w/ NWS, Sanctuary, Shrouding, Quicksilver & Warp Rift
EL - 6 Paladins (2 pcannons, banner, NWS, assorted weapons)
TR - 10 GKSS (2 pcannons, 1 hammer, psybolts); RB w/ TWLLC
TR - 6 GKSS (1 pcannon); RB w/ TWLLC
FA - 10 GKIS (1 pcannon, 1 'cinnie, m-c hammer, psybolts)
HS - LRC w/ psybolts

I'm down to 34 infantry + 3 tanks. The only reason I have 35pts sitting w/ the libby for his NWS is because its not enough to really add another unit and not sure if upgrades on the other units will be more worth it.

Not too happy w/ this list yet so I'll have to test it out and see how it does.

I'm actually working on a list very similar to yours:

HQ - GM, rad, p/s, skull
HQ - Libby, Teleport Homer, Shrouding & Warp Rift, skull
EL - 6 Paladins (pcannons, 'cinnie, narthecium + NWS, 1 mc Hammer)
HS - LRC
TR - 10 GKSS (2 pcannons, 1 hammer)
TR - 5 GKT (1 'cinnie, 1 hammer)
FA - 10 GKIS (2 pcannons, hammer, psybolts)
FA - 5 GKIS (1 'cinnie)

First of all, I should use it against a tau player (my italian friend... thanks Vassal), and this drove some choices (i.e. no halberds at all, no need for them, no quicksilver, no sanctuary).
Most important, I'm in love with deep striking. So the main plan is straightforward: put the Paladins with both HQs in the LRC, run and smoke at turn one (with shrouding...), I expect them to survive even the best shooting for the necessary time, then deploy as much as I can close to this spearhead as of turn 2. There are 2 skulls for secondary strategic place to deepstrike or simply to deny infiltration/scouting. A possible variant is to field a Stormraven instead of the LRC, it has less durability but I could get my army much closer to the enemy on turn one (then bye bye SR, but it has done its job). The second variant is to remove the 5 GKIS and give the 'cinnie to the 10 GKIS squad (the 5 GKIS are infiltrator/targeter hunters) in exchange of some heavy support, either a psyfledread (fragile, but I'm expecting to face 5 Piranhas, and the dread should take care of them) or a dreadknight (and leave the 10 GKIS go around to do some hunting).
elugin
elugin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 368
Army : Gray Knights, Orks, Biel-Tan and the Court of the Young King, plus High Elves for Fantasy fans...
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 am

Excellent points Borther BrentK. I would go for a libby for the added punch it gives the army, but long range fire support is always great to have in any army, specially against bubble armies such as Long fangs and IG. Your choice brother Rivan, both are great alternatives!
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content