Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GKT Based list

+2
DonFer
Zealadin
6 posters

Go down

GKT Based list Empty GKT Based list

Post by Zealadin Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:25 am

So I have been thinking about how I want to run my army after my last game and after looking at the codex way too much I decided on something i did like:

GKT (10) Hammer, 9 Halberd, 2 PsyCannon, PsyAmmo - 470
GKT (10) Hammer, 9 Halberd, 2 PsyCannon, PsyAmmo - 470

This is the backbone of my force. I've been tempted to swap around a bit to try and get other stuff in but I think at the end of the day its pretty solid. The PsyA I think if a real boon taking the larger squads.

So the full list looks like:

HQ: OMInq - TDA, NDH, PsyC - 80
HQ: OMInq - TDA, NDH, PsyC - 80
Tr: GKT (10) Hammer, 9 Halberd, 2 PsyCannon, PsyAmmo - 470
Tr: GKT (10) Hammer, 9 Halberd, 2 PsyCannon, PsyAmmo - 470
HS: NDK - H Incin, H PsyC - 200
HS: NDK - H Incin, H PsyC - 200

Its a themed TDA list as you can probably see. Everything has a 2+ save, and a 5++.
Taking GKT limits my PsyCannons, which I have added in my HQ choice.
Combat squadding I can have 4 troop choices, or just the two, I get flexibility how I stack my PsyC and some extra non instant killing wounds on the Inq.
The NDK are a mixed bag, they won't be amazing in CC, but as MC they can shoot two weapons, and since the army is close ranged anyway they can draw fire and throw out some major pain.

The downside is that I don't have any PAGK, and I miss out on my Librarian (I could add one but I'm not sure if its worth it really - for the tradeoff)

So I'm going to build the core, with the option to swap an IMO in TDA and the two NDK for two squads of 10 GKSS with 2 PsyC, PsyAmmo.
I'm still working on how I would fit a Librarian in to be honest, since I'm inclined to use Paladins in that kind of list.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

GKT Based list Empty Re: GKT Based list

Post by DonFer Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:21 am

Hey Zeal, nice idea, though I don't like two Iquisitors and no henchmen. And 2 NDK are eating away your points. Perhaps leave one out, and use those points to include a GM and/or a libby. I think that one NDK is enough for 1500 pts game.

I'd say focus on your Terminator army idea and ignore those GKSS. They add bodies but are not that great on the table. Wink
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:34 am

for 1500 libbie is nearly a must ... and personaly i miss some pals ... Crying or Very sad
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GMKDynamis Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Bro Donfer has a point on the cost, but if you want to bulk up the Psyc's, try a 5 man Purifiers squad, 2 Psycs in a Rhino.
GMKDynamis
GMKDynamis
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 508
Army : Grey knights, Inquisition, Flesh Tearers
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:52 pm

I considered purifiers for more psycannons but the biggest issue is I'd need transport for them and then suddenly there is a good target for my opponent to shoot up round 1.

On the Inq with no retinues, I don't think fluffwise that they would send retinues into a situation requiring this many GKT (plus everything is in TDA so they wouldn't be able to deploy the same way). Also I much prefer the old GK fluff, the expectation a GM will always be there doesn't really work for me because they have to cover an entire universe and there is only 8.
A Librarian is good, and they are one of my favourite items in the codex, but I'm not sure that its worth it compared to two cheaper Inquisitors.

If I feel like I really need shrouding and sanc I'll definatly consider switching around a bit. A NDK is an easy swap, but they are bullet catchers as much as anything since the list has such a low body count.

The pallies is also a hard one, I could basically swap the two NDK and a OMI for a squad of Pallies (5) with 2 PsyC and a Librarian (which I have built and awaiting painting) but I think having the flamers and blasts might add more to the army. Its hard to tell without more testing.

I do however have the models for the first list, plus the Lib + pally choice, so I have room to swap around between games and try them all!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Akoni Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Do you think replacing the (2) NDK with a 10-man Purgation with 8 PsyCannons worth it?

Then you can combat squad then and take each squad with each GKT unit for extra fire power.

And maybe take a GM.
Akoni
Akoni
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 688
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by sabian Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:19 am

Looks good as far as termi lists go but for 405 pts (which is pretty much the cost of your DK's) you can get 3 psyflemen dreads. Which technically is the big version of terminator armor.
sabian
sabian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 am

To be honest I would only take Purg squads in a mech army because I could get 5 in a razor with 4 incinerators for extremely cheap. Plus then you want multiples.

If I want to add transports it would have to be a LR variant (which I won't do) or maybe a Storm Raven, which I'm not that keen on at the moment. (I think it requires a different kind of list)

I did consider taking a 10 man Purifier squad with 4 PsyC, 5 Halb, Hammer, and then using the spare points left over from the 2 NDK to get a Libby as one of my HQ's, but I like the full TDA feel of the list.
I probably wouldn't take a GM unless I was going to take Mordrak (Ghost Strike army), or Drako for a full Pally army.
Its not that I think they are bad, I just prefer Librarians.

Honestly I wish you could just take a psycannon on each arm on the NDK's and I would have been stoked, but I also really realised that cover can be a huge boon or a huge hamstring for GK armies. We put out pretty good firepower, but overcoming cover on opponents forces can be pretty tricky. The NDK add the templates which helps in this department.

If I could teleport Purg squads in I'd actually be taking them in a heartbeat, I'd take a Librarian with homer, and use them to fry things.

Also I would need to take two Purg squads for 180 points each to get the 8 PsyC which is expensive, needs to get midfeild early, and starts losing heavy weapons fast as soon as you start taking casualties.
I think the NDK would probably have a similar role and effect on the battle as this choice, except being a bit more survivable.
A squad of Purgs is tempting to sit out of LoS in terrain to take pot shots with the PsyC tho, but with the 4+ cover save it really negates the rending.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:23 am

sabian wrote:Looks good as far as termi lists go but for 405 pts (which is pretty much the cost of your DK's) you can get 3 psyflemen dreads. Which technically is the big version of terminator armor.

True, I have considered that also. I was kind of impressed with the way a single Psyfleman dread did last game so I am building two more once I have some money aside, but it will be slow to get done and I already have two NDK purchased, and one partially painted.

I think the NDK will probably be the first part of my army to change, but I want to give them a fair chance to shine.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by sabian Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:39 am

But i think that for a smaller point game the inquisitors in termi armor is a good route.
sabian
sabian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content