Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using sword instead of halberds?

+4
NemesisForce
Zealadin
bigbri
raven925
8 posters

Go down

Using sword instead of halberds? Empty Using sword instead of halberds?

Post by raven925 Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:02 pm

When the new dex' first came out, i noticed that all infantry was armed with a basic power sword. Now, what if you have all old Gk models and cant afford the money or points to buy the new ones just for the swords? This really make me mad because all my Gk's have halberds and i think they made the new Gk's have swords just as a marketing ploy so you have to buy them.
raven925
raven925
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 201
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Using sword instead of halberds? Empty Re: Using sword instead of halberds?

Post by bigbri Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:30 pm

raven925 wrote:When the new dex' first came out, i noticed that all infantry was armed with a basic power sword. Now, what if you have all old Gk models and cant afford the money or points to buy the new ones just for the swords? This really make me mad because all my Gk's have halberds and i think they made the new Gk's have swords just as a marketing ploy so you have to buy them.
A marketing ploy so you have to buy new ones, who would be that evil though [/sarcasm] Unfortunately it does suck but you either find the pts for the upgrade, buy Crowe and run them as purifiers or get new guys, not a lot else you can do.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:07 pm

If you really don't want to spend the money just clip the halberd poles off. It won't look great, but they are more a sword then.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Hey, I was dreading that they would drop the halberds totally and make all the old models useless. Even at 2-5 points more (free for Termies), making them +2 I is a damn bonus (and pleasant surprise) in my book.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Halberds are good, its more the fact that people have to totally rebuy normal GK that is an issue. Yes they did it to make money. Its just not very fair on people who have already bought and payed a premium for metal models and who suddenly have to either gimp their basic guys with a huge tax/premium so they are WYSIWYG.

Plus Halberds aren't really worth it at any price on regular guys imo, 1 attack just doesn't cut it when purifiers do it better and cheaper.

The old and new halberds are significantly different however, so most opponents probably wouldn't mind. Its jsut hard for competitive gaming!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:05 am

Well if GW would only sell the Dex to old players, they'd be out of business in no time (well maybe not but you see my point). Of course they want you to buy new models, it's in their best interest you do so. However you don't have to build your army from scratch. One or two boxes should do the trick while using your Halberd guys as purifiers or interceptors. Conversions are useful too. No need to buy new boxes, all those power weapons in your bits box will do the trick.

This is one of the reasons why GK armies are poping everywhere. With minimum investment, an old player is able to put together a 1750 pts. buying only a couple of transports, an HQ and maybe and NDK.
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Honestly I would just see this as a perfect excuse to run an army built around purifiers.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:33 am

the only time swords are better than halberds are on HQ and Terminators. 4+ inv save in CC will keep terminators going against powerful enemies better, and a 3++ save in CC for a Brother Captain or Grand Master is just good value for points.
Halberds are for Purifiers. I would also recommend falchions and daemonhammers for strike squads.

But then again depends how many points you have to play with, and your play style. If you want them in combat then falchions and halberds. if you want to shoot them save the points and keep the swords to take psycannons and psyammo.
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am

for PAGK the sword isn't worth it ... no special rules, no bonuses.
i prefer the +2I from the halberds ... as i've got a whole bunch of old PAGK with halberds ... then nothing will change !! Razz Razz
with the GK in plastic i bought i'll make some conversions with falchions i think, and maybe one or 2 swords ... for points purpose when i have to spare points to be in the points quota ! Wink
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:04 am

An easy conversion for the old PAGK is using one falchion as a sword. Just clip the halberd of your PAGK off and attach one falchion. It looks just like a sword and you get 4 pairs of them in the GKSS box. Since falchions will never be used after the FAQ, you're maximzing your GKSS box investment. That's what I did with mine.
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:39 am

i'm still hoping some sort of change for the falchions in the future ... like a WoW buff, caus it's clear that they are one of the most expensive and ineffective option of our codex !! Mad
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:01 am

DonFer wrote:An easy conversion for the old PAGK is using one falchion as a sword. Just clip the halberd of your PAGK off and attach one falchion. It looks just like a sword and you get 4 pairs of them in the GKSS box. Since falchions will never be used after the FAQ, you're maximzing your GKSS box investment. That's what I did with mine.
Brother DonFer, I was always afraid to do this out of fear that they would look funny because the falchions are slightly smaller than the swords. Would you mind posting pictures?
Aubec le noir wrote:i'm still hoping some sort of change for the falchions in the future ... like a WoW buff, caus it's clear that they are one of the most expensive and ineffective option of our codex !!
It would make a lot of sense to simply make the falchions cost less, but then they risk making them too good. For example, if they were super cheap and you put them in the hands of paladins for next to no extra points, then you've got 3A on 2W TDA-wearing fellas. Stick Draigo in this squad and you're getting border-line ridiculous. For this reason, I wouldn't expect a change, as there would be a risk of making them too worth it. Better to have them not worth it at all and just select a different option.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:12 am

Aubec le noir wrote:i'm still hoping some sort of change for the falchions in the future ... like a WoW buff, caus it's clear that they are one of the most expensive and ineffective option of our codex !! Mad
Aubec pirat

I think the most useless piece of wargear and expensive to boot is the Nemesis Warding Stave for the GKSS, GKIS, GKPS and Purifiers. I'd rather preferred to get another psycannon or incinerator in the box, not a warding stave that does nothing to any squad that hasn't Terminator armour...geez Evil or Very Mad

As for the falchions, they're not terrible, expensive maybe but not terrible. The truth is that people consider them to be terrible because of the (wrong) posibility of them being +2 attacks. Which never was correct in the first place, just a miss interpretation (more like wishful thinking) of what the actual wargear does.

BrentK wrote:Brother DonFer, I was always afraid to do this out of fear that they would look funny because the falchions are slightly smaller than the swords. Would you mind posting pictures?

Sure I'll post some pictures of them when I get home. The thing is, the old PAGK had a small sword for the Justicar, which looks just like one Falchion, so there is virtually no difference. It keeps them in line with the old trend, while the new GK I purchased have the "revamped" sword which is two handed and "up-to-date". Smile
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:27 am

DonFer wrote:two handed
I would like to officially declare that modelling two handed weapons is possibly the most frustrating thing in the world. Okay, maybe the MOST frustrating thing, but it's pretty dang frustrating.

Looking forward to the pics.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Aubec le noir wrote:for PAGK the sword isn't worth it ... no special rules, no bonuses.
i prefer the +2I from the halberds ... as i've got a whole bunch of old PAGK with halberds ... then nothing will change !! Razz Razz
with the GK in plastic i bought i'll make some conversions with falchions i think, and maybe one or 2 swords ... for points purpose when i have to spare points to be in the points quota ! Wink
Aubec pirat
True swords don't give any bonuses to basic PAGK guys, but they also don't cost anything which is the bonus. If you take 2 x 10 men troops units to hold objectives etc you're looking at 100pts for halberds which they don't get much use out of with 1A basic, I'd rather spend those points on more psycannons, or a couple of rhinos etc.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down