Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SoCalSmackdown Tourney September - 2000 pts

+4
sabian
Aubec le noir
stormknight
Rivan
8 posters

Go down

SoCalSmackdown Tourney September - 2000 pts Empty SoCalSmackdown Tourney September - 2000 pts

Post by Rivan Sat May 28, 2011 10:39 am

The next tourney I'm planning to attend is in September so I have lots of time to prepare. Planning on using the following list:

HQ - GM w/ m-c staff, p-cannon, rad & PS grenades, 2 skulls
HQ - BChamp
TR - 10 x GKT w/ 2 p-cannons/halberds, 2 hammers, 1 banner, 1 staff, 4 halberds, psybolt ammo
TR - 10 x GKSS w/ 2 p-cannons, 1 hammer, 7 swords, psybolt ammo
EL - 10 x Purifiers w/ 2 'cinnies, 1 hammer, 5 halberds, 2 swords, psybolt ammo
FA - 10 x Interceptors w/ 2 p-cannons, 8 swords, psybolt ammo
HS - LRC w/ psybolt ammo

42 infantry models + 1 tank; 2-4 scoring units minimum; 7 KP

BChamp joins Purifiers in LRC. GM has option to join them or attach to GKT's. If opponent has an uber unit that needs to be decapitated, GM will probably join the Purifiers. Cumulative effects of rad, PS gren and BChamp's HoT rule will pretty much deal w/ any unit in the game. All other units have the option to DS if needed.
As you can see, this is primarily a shooty list. Everybody w/ the exception of the BChamp has S5 shooting or higher. Horrendous amounts of heavy bolter equivalent shots (up to 64 shots if all units are on the table) can deal w/ hordes and light vehicles. The 8 p-cannons (7 + LRC assault cannon) can hopefully deal w/ heavier vehicles/walkers. GKSS & GKIS combined w/ servo-skulls provides good area denial.
One downside is mobility. Aside from the LRC, only the Interceptors have good mobility. So, I'll probably make extensive use of DSing the other units and using GM's p-communion and the skulls to control timing and placement. And/or possibly also using Scout from Grand Strategy to allow units to either outflank or to get further up the board before Turn 1.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

SoCalSmackdown Tourney September - 2000 pts Empty Re: SoCalSmackdown Tourney September - 2000 pts

Post by stormknight Sat May 28, 2011 1:15 pm

EDIT: I've decided to edit this post to make it clearer.
Your grandmaster will be better suited taking a single battlefield role. The pyscannon is suited to him walking to maximize effectiveness, the warding stave for close combat to maximize effectiveness. What I'm trying say is, use the pyscannon for walking and the warding stave in the LRC but don't use points for both because they can definately be spent better elsewhere.
Also your purifiers won't benefit from pysbolt ammo that much inside a LRC so will be better using a warding stave to suit there CC preference. I think one cinnie is more than enough alongside cleansing flame.
The LRC will be able to fire all weapons (using machine spirit too) when moving 6" but with pysbolt ammunition the hurricanes are no longer defensive therefore only 2 weapons fire when moving 6"
Good luck your tournament and I hope you get the advice and critics that help!!!
stormknight
stormknight
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 331
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

SoCalSmackdown Tourney September - 2000 pts Empty Re: SoCalSmackdown Tourney September - 2000 pts

Post by Aubec le noir Sun May 29, 2011 11:06 am

solid list
why do you give 2 swords for 2 of your purifiers ? give the ones without hammer or psycannons all halberds... imho Wink Razz
i agree with brother stormknight about the LRC giving him S5 hurricane bolters finally aweaken it... but i'll keep the psy ammo for the purifiers
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun May 29, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The GM is expensive yes but I'm using my heavily converted model as the centerpiece of the army (I'm sure you've seen him Brother Aubec Smile )

For the purifiers, the 'cinnies and the psybolt do make a difference. In my first play test, after the initial volley plus 2 templates, a 10-man grey hunters squad was reduced to 5 and I mopped them in assault with no losses. Also, the psybolts com in handy should their LRC get blown up early.

For the LRC, remember the psybolt upgrade makes the assault cannon S7. S7 rending is a big boost from S6 rending specially against AV14. The tank will usually move 12" for the first turn or two anyway, in which case I can only fire one weapon.

@Aubec: no more points left is the reason 2 purifiers have swords
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by sabian Sun May 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Just curious why not have a LRR instead of crusader? Cheaper and can carry your models.
sabian
sabian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun May 29, 2011 7:48 pm

sabian wrote:Just curious why not have a LRR instead of crusader? Cheaper and can carry your models.

Sometimes, I may want to attach the GM as well as the BChamp to the Purifiers. LRR can only carry 12 models.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sun May 29, 2011 9:14 pm

Looks good. I just can't help thinking though that with all the points you have sunk in psybolt ammo you could get two psymmo'd R-backs for a little S6 long-range and a tad more mobility.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Mon May 30, 2011 7:23 am

Nice list! there are some points I'd like to comment, though.

LRC survivability. One LRC in a 2000 pts, game is no LRC. There are plenty of trigger happy enemies out there waiting to unload their AP1 S10 weapons all over your LRC. I'd take 2, but that means you have to loose something that'll hurt your army build. So I'd say loose the LRC and either try a full footslogging army, or try to include some rhinos or RB for added mobility.

Psybolt ammo, I concur with Brother Stromknight. Purifiers and the LRC don't benefit too much using these, lose them and you have some spare points for other things.

Have you consider using a Librarian instead of a BC?

Hope this helps you, I like the idea of your army btw. Happy hunting!

Very Happy
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Mon May 30, 2011 7:29 am

Rivan wrote:@Aubec: no more points left is the reason 2 purifiers have swords
that's a good reason ! Razz Razz
and yes i saw your beautiful GM brother Rivan, and imho he deserves all his wargear ! Twisted Evil
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon May 30, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks again for all the feedback, I'm getting a lot of good ideas on tweaking the list Smile

@Nemesisforce/Donfer: I actually agree that having 2 LR tanks would be optimum but I'll lose bodies. I'm seriously considering losing the LRC and investing in some RB/rhinos instead. But then I don't have an effective assault platform for my purifiers. Nemesis made a good point that purifiers lose 1 turn from having to hop out of a rhino and waiting 1 more turn before they can assault scratch

@Aubec: Thanks Smile Sometimes I'm tempted to use just a stock GM w/ grenades but then all my efforts converting GM Rivan would be wasted if I didn't use him Razz
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Mon May 30, 2011 10:26 am

Rivan wrote: Nemesis made a good point that purifiers lose 1 turn from having to hop out of a rhino and waiting 1 more turn before they can assault scratch

@Aubec: Thanks Smile Sometimes I'm tempted to use just a stock GM w/ grenades but then all my efforts converting GM Rivan would be wasted if I didn't use him Razz

1/ maybe you can consider the stormraven as an option : less suvivability but better mobility and good fire power

2/ i know what you're going through ... i made my decision : i make a single model for every GM or BC with different gear ... so i bought last week one of the last metal Calgar available cause i love the conversion of a GM based on him, that i saw here in this forum ... even if by now i don't know how i'll equipe him ! Razz Razz

Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by sabian Mon May 30, 2011 3:28 pm

I just had a game with a guard player over the weekend, it was tight but the one thing i can say is my 3 psyflemen never got destroyed and both the guard player and myself think that venerable dread and LR's should be next to invincible. Just if anyone was wondering i pulled the game out by contesting his capture point with interceptors and he had nothing close to mine.
sabian
sabian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon May 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Here's how my alternative list looks like if I drop the LRC and get some lighter tanks:

TR - 5 x GKSS w/ 5 swords; RB w/ TWLLC
TR - 10 x GKSS w/ 2 p-cannons, 8 swords; RB w/ TWLLC
EL - 5 x Paladins w/ 2 p-cannons, banner (assorted load out)
EL - 10 x Purifiers w/ 2 p-cannons, 1 hammer, 7 halberds; Rhino
FA - 10 x Interceptors w/ 2 p-cannons, 8 swords, psybolt ammo
HS - NDK w/ p. teleporter, greatsword, heavy 'cinnie

41 infantry models + 3 tanks; 2-3 scoring units minimum; 10 KP

Decided to take Paladins for the extra psycannon and more wounds. Together w/ the GM, they can unload 12 S7 shots as they advance. Also thought a NDK can be handy in soaking up shots as the paladins and the purifiers advance. Meanwhile, the 2 RB can at least provide some long range AT. The GKSS can still opt to DS instead of using their transports if needed.
Really didn't want to drop the BChamp but can't fit the points.

How does this compare w/ my initial list?
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by elugin Tue May 31, 2011 2:40 am

If you have the points, add the third skull.
elugin
elugin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 368
Army : Gray Knights, Orks, Biel-Tan and the Court of the Young King, plus High Elves for Fantasy fans...
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Tue May 31, 2011 2:49 am

it's a solid list but i prefer the first
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Tue May 31, 2011 3:42 am

I'd keep the 10 GKT if possible AND add the Pallies, it gives you more 2+ save saturation and makes it alot harder for your opponent to choose a target for his heavier weapons.
1 LRC as said won't last long, especially not at 2k, everyone has at least one throw away squad to deal with such a threat, and many armies have 3+ choices that will take out a LR with ease.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks again for all the feedbacks and tips! It's amazing how just reading different point of views and styles can really help fine tune a list Very Happy

Anyway, here's a mesh of the 2 lists I initially posted and I think it looks more efficient and effective. Hopefully, third time's the charm Razz
I still only have 1 LRC, but its backed up by some lighter tanks. I just can't field 2 LR's anymore w/o suffering a huge loss in bodies.

TR - 7 x GKT (1 'cinnie/halberd, 1 hammer, 3 halberds, 1 staff, 1 banner)
TR - 10 x GKSS (1 hammer, 2 p-cannons, 7 swords)
RB w/ TWLLC
TR - 5 x GKSS (1 p-cannon, 4 swords)
RB w/ TWLLC
EL - 8 x Purifiers (2 pcannons, 1 hammer, 5 halberds)
Rhino
FA - 6 x GKIS (1 pcannon, 5 swords)
FA - 6 x GKIS (1 'cinnie, 5 swords)
HS - LRC

Still have 6 pts to use. 3-4 scoring units/11 KP/ 43 infantry + 4 tanks
This list has more mobility. Purifiers' rhino can advance in the shadow of the LRC while the RB's sit back and provide some long range AT fire. GKIS w/ 'cinnie can target deadly units like eldar rangers/pathfinders or Tau pathfinders etc. GKIS w/ pcannon can snipe at vehicle side or rear armor. Of course, both GKIS can also serve as last minute objective grabbers/contesters.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down