Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First test game VS SW

5 posters

Go down

First test game VS SW Empty First test game VS SW

Post by Rivan Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:41 pm

Kyrox and I decided to test the new GK's for the first time since I already have the correct point costs. We deemed SW would be the best army to use since we see a lot of them and furthermore, we decided to do a missile launcher/rune priest spam to really test the GK's mettle/resilience.

The SW list had a lot of Grey Hunters, 1 scout squad, 1 wolf guard squad, 3 x runepriests w/ various powers, 3 x Long Fang squads, 3 x land speeders, as well as 1 laserback and 3 rhinos. Basically a very mobile force w/ a lot of missile launchers and of course 3 runepriests to block our psychic powers.

The list I tested:
HQ - GM w/ p-cannon, rad & blind grenades, 3 s-skulls, m-c weapon
HQ - Libby w/ summoning, shrouding, quicksilver, might of titan
TR - 10 x GKSS (2 p-cannons, 7 halberds, 1 hammer) - split into CS
TR - 5 x GKT (1 p-cannon/halberd, 1 hammer, 1 sword, 2 halberds)
EL - 5 x Paladins (1 b-banner, 1 p-cannon/halberd, 1 p-cannon/sword, 1 m-c hammer, 1 halberd)
EL - 10 x Purifiers (2 'cinnies, 1 m-c hammer, 5 halberds, 2 falchions)
FA - SR
HS - NDK w/ heavy 'cinnie, greatsword & personal teleporter

Game was 5 objectives w/ spearhead deployment. I won the roll-off and decided to go first. Before the game started, I rolled for Grand strategy and got 3 units and decided to make the NDK, the purifiers and the paladins all scoring units, giving me a total of 6 scoring units Very Happy

We didn't get to finish the game (because Kyrox had to do homework Razz ) but we had enough rounds to get a good feel of how the GK's are.
I deployed all my units on the table in or behind terrain with the exception of the GKT's w/c will DS in. The libby joined the purifiers in the SR.
Highlights/feedback:
- SR turbo boosted close to his table quarter and summoned the NDK to within 6". It was on target but even then, because of a nearby servo-skull, it would have scattered only 1d6. 2nd power Libby cast was shrouding giving the SR a 3+ cover save. Even so, it was promptly blown out of the sky by missiles in turn 1. At least my libby and purifiers (and NDK) are already at his doorstep. Still, its an expensive way to get them there. The rest of his shooting was directed at the NDK who shrugged off everything.
- Libby summoned the GM/Paladins to him as well. I know this squad is expensive but they soaked up sooo much shooting it was awesome. And I didn't even have an apothecary! Yes, I lost models and by the time we had to discontinue the game, the GM still had 1 paladin with him. And they had already destroyed 2 units and a transport by then.
- The NDK is a real beast! He destroyed 2 long fang squads one after the other and was on the verge of wiping out a grey hunter squad as well. The greatsword is definitely worth the 15 pts extra over the hammer. Re-roll to hit, to wound, and armor pen is just divine. The personal teleporter is also a must IMHO. It makes the NDK pricey but it more than triples his threat value! By the time we ended, the NDK still had max wounds Razz
- Libby's powers: Summoning gives our units unprecedented flexibility. Post game analysis made me realize I even missed more inqenious ways to use this power Razz I do recommend that you take advantage of a servo-skull to help prevent unwanted mishaps. Might of Titan is also extremely beneficial to support units so that it stacks w/ a unit's hammerhand, or to allow the unit to use their psychic test for the force-kill instead. My libby used it on the GM/paladins and combined w/ the GM's rad grenades, I was wounding the SW's on 2's Very Happy
- The libby is a necessity IMO if only for the psychic hood. When I got within range, it helped block some of the powers the rune priests were throwing at me. Conversely, the rune priests were able to block some of my powers as expected but I still got most of them off.
- Psycannons just rock! I would try to fit as many as you can in your lists. Nuff said on this.

Overall, I'm thrilled at the possibilities our units provide once I get a better feel for them and learn to synergize them into a cohesive, well-oiled killing machine! Evil or Very Mad
The SR is nice for mobility but will definitely not last in any game that has enough AT shooting. I will try to fit a redeemer instead and see how that works Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

First test game VS SW Empty Re: First test game VS SW

Post by Slind Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Super report!

I am planning a list quite similar to yours (with some small changes), so I have a few questions on you experience:

- How do you feel you list did in the AT department? Do you think it would be able to take on an IG list?
- How did you use your GKT's? Are they a viable troop-choice or just a pointsink?
- Didn't you miss transport-options, or was the Libby and SR all you needed?
- Was the purifiers overkill? I mean 10 man strong - do you think this unit would work with say 5-6 men?

Thanks

Slind
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 186
Army : Daemonhunters, Eldar
Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Xethik Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:42 pm

I feel like a Teleport Homer on the Librarian may work better than Servo-skulls. Your Librarian will already be doing the summoning, so you only have to worry about DS'ers scattering at that point.

Is the Psycannon worth it on the GM? Sure, he will destroy things, but I just feel like you are paying too much for a single psycannon. Maybe it is just me.
Xethik
Xethik
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 200
Army : Grey Knights, Dark Eldar, Ravenwing and Deathwing
Registration date : 2010-08-10

http://the-grey-knight.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:53 pm

@Slind:
-if I can get my units into mid-range (24" - 30"), psycannons are all I need. Light tanks/speeders/walkers will not stand up to the number of rending shots I'm throwing their way. Even regular heavy tanks w/ weak side/back armor are not safe if every unit has at least 1 psycannon and can potentially snipe from the flanks. Even LR's are not really safe since supposedly, 4 S7 rending shots have a higher probability of penetrating compared to a lascannon. Not sure if that's true coz I haven't tried it.
-the GKT's didn't even get into CC but was just shooting at anything coming at them. I love the fact that they're TR because I can pretty much rely on them to hold an objective (which they did in this game).
-I wish I could fit more transports for my units but I just don't have enough points. Because of the flexibility of the libby, the transports weren't enough reason to give up some of the units I used in this list.
-the main reason for a 10-man purifier squad is so I can split them up if I have to. Plus my purifiers complete my 1-2 hard-hitting punch combo (GM/paladins being the other one).

@Xethik:
-not sure yet if teleport homers will work in conjunction w/ "summoning". Even then the servo-skulls have other useful functions (like infiltrate and scout move denial)
-yeah, I'm thinking 45 pts is a lot but 4 S7 rending shots as BS6 is NICE Razz

The main thing I'm trying to solve is how to get my libby where I need him to be. SR's are a bit fragile for me while LR's are costly.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by raven925 Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Rivan wrote:@Slind:
-if I can get my units into mid-range (24" - 30"), psycannons are all I need. Light tanks/speeders/walkers will not stand up to the number of rending shots I'm throwing their way. Even regular heavy tanks w/ weak side/back armor are not safe if every unit has at least 1 psycannon and can potentially snipe from the flanks.

This is exactly the same way i felt the first 3 test games i played with the new knights, all you need is psycannons and your good.
raven925
raven925
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 201
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Awesome to have your report Rivan!! Very Happy

I am glad your list worked out so well ^^ I look forward to see your refineings and future games!

NDK is indeed awesome Wink That sword kicks ass.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content