Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Dex Q&A

+31
RCDragon
shadow
Kavanar
Grandmaster Markus
Ceasarian
rogueuk
scarrboros
brother captain sean
Titus
DonFer
fa11en
Primarch
itsuperslug
nevek
kenderleech
raven925
Brother Blutcher
Grimhack
Slind
MJSwasey
Zealadin
Constantine
Souba
DarkRonin
Nausaden
madbakery
Nygo
Rivan
Aubec le noir
Spartan
NemesisForce
35 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

New Dex Q&A - Page 12 Empty Re: New Dex Q&A

Post by RCDragon Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Thawn can be very useful, with two powers he can always do hamerhand and activate force weapons, the squad can also do hammerhand so you get your force weapons and +2 STR, and a banner in the unit just means the force weapons activate automatically

RCDragon
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Actually if the unit is to cast a spell, it goes through the Justicar (or Keeper of the Flames for Purifiers). He is an upgrade character for the Grey Knight Terminator Justicar. So until he dies and leave the unit, the Squad has to use their spell casting through him; since he's level 2, he can only do two spells a turn for the squad.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by rogueuk Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:38 pm

hi was just wondering if a squad is in combat and i use my force weapons but i fail the test do my weapons still hit but count as normal CCW

just one of those random questions i never thought of
rogueuk
rogueuk
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 361
Army : tau, chaos marines, daemon hunters
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:50 pm

They always count as a Force Weapon, that have the added benefit of being able to cause instant death on multiple wound models. You only take the test when a unit already suffered a wound caused by the weapon. If you fail, then your casting model takes an automatic wound unless it has an Invulnerable Save (Which you would have to re-roll unpon first success). They never count as Normal CC Weapons if you failed the test. You just don't get the Instant Death bonus. Force Weapons will always ignore armor in CC.

The test happens after the wounds have been dealt out.

A better question though, is if a unit has multiple NFW's that attack at different Initiatives, does the test after the first set of attacks still affect those attacking later (i.e. Halberds -> Swords/Falchions -> Hammers)? Would the units with swords or hammers benefit from the first cast or do you have to wait until all attacks have been made by the unit first?
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by rogueuk Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:06 pm

ok so if a GKSS was in combat with a guard squad would i have to take a test for the NFW are could i just use them as normal
rogueuk
rogueuk
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:18 pm

There will always only be 1 test to activate the force weapons. The test is done on first initiative step that deals an unsaved wound.
So, if your halberds hit and wound at I6, you make the test. If successful, then ALL wounds (including those that are dealt at I4 and I1) are considered to cause ID. Same goes if it fails. None of the wounds dealt at the lower initiative step causes ID.

Now, w/ Thawn, since he's level 2, if he hasn't used any powers during that turn, and he fails the first force kill activation, can try again I guess scratch
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Brother Rogueuk, you never have to take a test to have them work. You only take the test if your facing a monster, nobz, obliterators, or any model with 2 or more wounds. You only take the test to finish off those models.

If you were fighting a regular guard squad (or any unit with a single wound), your attacks already kill them without the need for the test. Even if you took the test, it would be pointless unless a multiple wound character was in there. The attacks when they hit and wound will always kill a model without an invulnerable save; no need to take a test that wouldn't help you. These work the same way as any other force weapon from any Imperial codex.

Also, with Thawn, if you failed that one test, you can take it again. He is level two; so if you didn't already cast one spell, you can do it again.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Since it's not a shooting attack I can't see why Thawn can't try the same power a second time. Nothing says you can't.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by rogueuk Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:37 pm

@darkronin - thanks that was wot i needed to now havent had to use force weapons much so didnt now any of that thanks
rogueuk
rogueuk
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by rpricew Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Does a Psychic Hood effect a Auto Success (Brotherhood Banner) Psychic power? Can an opponent's librarian shut down a "hammerhand or force weapon" activated by the Banner?

rpricew
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:24 pm

The p-hood would only affect tests you have to roll for so it won't shut down the banner. The banner is only used to activate Force Weapons but not, unfortunately, Hammerhand.

edit: On further thought, I could be wrong about the hood not shutting down the banner. It say after the psychic test is passed. The banner is an auto-pass but a pass nonetheless therefore the hood could shut it down. Hmmm...
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:37 pm

Yes. The p-hood can still shut down an auto-pass force kill via the banner since, as you mentioned, the roll-off is done after the test is passed.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:21 pm

A Psychic Hood has the chance to cancel a power after a test. Look at the old Daemonhunters Codex, even though a Daemonhost automatically was able to cast its powers, it was still susceptible to Psychic Hoods. This hasn't changed at all from that book to now. Hood's can shut down any spell cast by an opposing Psyker anytime during your turn (Though only one may counter for each spell).

The autocast from the banner is nice because you don't have to worry about Peril's, but the hood will have a chance to deny it; also a Rune Priest can cancel it as well. A hood isn't something to really worry about, since its a d6+Ld roll; but any model with a hood will have Ld10 while you'll be at Ld9 most of the time. Hopefully the Dice Gods will be with you when this happens.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Sorry for the double post, but this question just popped into my head.

If we're facing off against other Grey Knights, and we happen to cause some kind of damage on a Vehicle; is that vehicle susceptible to the effects of Daemonbane due to being a psyker as well?

I doubt that it would matter much with vehicles being Ld10, but it would be interesting to see how this plays out, especially against BA's own Librarian Dreadnoughts.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:47 pm

no, daemonbane references wounds, vehicles cant take wounds.

Also please note our psyker/vehicles are not ld10. they have a rule where they count as ld10 for the purposes of psychic tests and psychic hoods only.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by sepeteus Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:26 am

After re-reading the psybolt ammunation-rule, i'm not sure if i got it rite. Psybolt works only in those weapons listed on description of psybolt? If so....Man, that *** Question No Evil or Very Mad

sepeteus
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:53 am

yes, it only works on what it says. It makes non psy bolter shell based weapons into psy ones.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Titus Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:49 am

sepeteus wrote:After re-reading the psybolt ammunation-rule, i'm not sure if i got it rite. Psybolt works only in those weapons listed on description of psybolt? If so....Man, that *** Question No Evil or Very Mad

I am confused? Are you saying its bad? if so how?
Titus
Titus
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 298
Army : Grey Knights, Legion of the Damned, White Scars, Space Wolves, Fallen Dark Angels, 1000 Sons of Prospero(pre-heresy)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:26 am

I think maybe like me he was thinking it would be nice to have psymmo for our psycannons too. Smile
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by sepeteus Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah...On the other hand, this is somewhat better. Now i don't have to take psybolts for every squad. tongue

sepeteus
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:34 am

S8 psycannons? That would certainly replace Melta for good. Very Happy But then again, 4 S8 shots, rending seems too powerful for a single infatry model (imagine a purgation squad).
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Would the Brotherhood Banner's +1A apply to the Brotherhood Champion if he's attached to the squad? If so, I'm assuming it only applies to his Rapier Strike: d3 attacks, +1 if he charged, and +1 for the banner. What do you guys think? scratch
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:20 pm

I would say it wouldn't. The BC doesn't attack normally like other models and would be restricted to the number of attacks allotted to him with Battle Stances. Of course, I'm going by what I think is the spirit of the rule and others will most likely disagree.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Titus Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Brotherhood Champion should really be abbreviated as BCh so as not to confuse it with Brother Captain, which has been abbreviated on the forum as BC for awhile.
Titus
Titus
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 298
Army : Grey Knights, Legion of the Damned, White Scars, Space Wolves, Fallen Dark Angels, 1000 Sons of Prospero(pre-heresy)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 pm

^agreed, titus, i was looking for a good way to do it, and that strikes me as just fine.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down