Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking to start. advice

+2
DOMIN4TRIX
thchero
6 posters

Go down

looking to start. advice Empty looking to start. advice

Post by thchero Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:13 am

Hi. Names thchero. From the good ol uk. Looking to start a bad ass army with grey knights and was looking for advice on where to start lol

thchero
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

looking to start. advice Empty Re: looking to start. advice

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:29 am

Welcome to the forum!

Start with the models that appeal to you the most and work from there.

Or pick up the codex and think about how you want to play.

As a starter set I would recommend buying:

Inquisitor Cortaez
1 x Grey Knight Terminators box
1 x Grey Knight Strike Squad box
Dreadknight

DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thchero Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 am

Thank you brother. I've just started my ogre kingdoms army and are use to being outnumbered but having superior stat lines etc. So the gk really appealed to me..

I've been reading the codex and almost got lost LOL. One thing I would like to suggest to the forum members is something that is on the ogre stronghold forums in that all troops etc are rated and a small guide on how to use them effectively and with what wargear etc. Is that something some of you are up for. As it really helped me pick my army as I knew from experienced players what was good in what situation ?

thchero
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by thchero Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 am

Also extra side note. I've had a look at some paint schemes and wondered if there is any bizzarre schemes or just not so grey/silver. Any ideas ?

thchero
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by thchero Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 am

Also extra side note. I've had a look at some paint schemes and wondered if there is any bizzarre schemes or just not so grey/silver. Any ideas ?

thchero
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:40 am

The most "bizarre" I've seen is tan, I've also seen Green, Blue, heck a quick Google search even showed a Black/White color scheme. So it's whatever color you want to pain them in.

As for the models I suggest pretty much the same as DOMIN4TRIX save switch out Coteaz with a Brotherhood Champion.

And Welcome to the Forum! geek
Rion
Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 627
Army : Grey Knights, Knights Camlann (Space Marine)
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 am

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/6th_Edition_Tactics/Grey_Knights

At the bottom:

"What to buy
every time you buy Grey Knights, Ward gets a raise. Buy more Coteaz, and get some Sisters of Battle to provide the Inquisitorial Henchmen, thereby denying Ward his money.

Also, if you want there's a better way to use Grey Knight without having to buy their specific models. The Space Marines have a chapter similar to the Knights and it's called the Exorcists. Check them out on Lexicanum for a complete history. Basically, they are a secret project conducted by the Inquisition in which they have the Marines possessed and later exorcised so they can gain a resistance to Chaos. Plus they are invisible to all the Daemons except the ones who are incredibly powerful. They have a mutual respect going on with the Inquisition and apparently team up with them on various occasions. This gives players a fluffy reason to field them with Inquisitors on the field. So there you have it, buy Space Marine models, paint them in Exorcist colors, and make Matt Ward cry. Forgeworld even has an exorcists character, with a master crafted S10 TH that wounds daemons AUTOMATICALLY. Hardcore.

For people NOT interested in being butt-hurt over the latest codex and instead just want to play /TheGame/, a good starting choice is, of course, a couple squads of either GKTs or GKSSs, depending on your financial restrictions and what amount of points you're looking to start with. For the recently-inducted, 500-750 pt. games are a good way to get your feet wet, and thus you will probably want to go for a pair of GKSSs and a Librarian [whose psychic attacks are fuck-right devastating]. A good expansion will be with Terminators and one of the more specialized HQ units, or if you're looking to have some diversity, an Inquisitor and their retinue. Invest in at least one Stormraven, a Dreadknight, and either a Rhino or a Land Raider, depending on the balance of power-armor units to terminators, respectively. And of course, be sure to ignore the people rolling their eyes for selecting the Grey Knights; Matt Ward's silliness aside, the Grey Knights ARE a pretty fuckawesome army list with a good aesthetic design for the hobbyists and, with practice and patience, can efficiently lay waste to anyone they stand against. If you balk at the Grey Knights fighting something other than daemons, well...if you look hard enough and scream you battle litanies loud enough, ANYTHING you set in front of your Knights on the tabletop will look like a daemon.

Also, if your opponent is loose with his WYSIWYG rules, the Dark Vengeance starter box provides you with warrior acolytes right off the bat. The cultists with guns can be used as almost any warrior acolyte option you can have, barring the melta guns and plasma guns. I would also like to point out that Sisters of battle actually serve a purpose (HUZZAH(?)), serving as warrior acolytes with a few weapon load outs, which is okay I guess if you only want melta guns. Fantasy-battles flagellants can also be nice material for conversion, they'll look pretty nice with flamers and meltas."

There's a general idea of what you could do so far as conversions and for a different color scheme you could use Exorcists. I've also seen someone make a Coteaz army using Grots/Goblins.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 223
Army : Purifier Variant
Registration date : 2012-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by zhambah Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:14 am

no... 1d4chan is the WORST site in the world for information. their information is often misguided and sometimes just plain wrong.

the problem is thchero, that theres 3 major lists, all of which make the units in the other lists not quite as useful

the 3 lists as far as i see them.
Draigowing
Draigo makes paladins troop choices. This often comprises of Paladins as troop choices, quite often footslogging. Paladins are your go to choice in this list because they are harder than your usual troops choices. you will be able to find many variants on draigowing on this forum which will give you an idea where to go. This is a popular list with beginners because of its low model count (hench low price (by comparison)) infact, when i first started grey knights the manager of my local GW pushed me towards these. its easy to pick up and start to learn the basics with.

Coteaz
Coteaz is pretty much as different from draigo as can be. draigo wants to get into combat to punch something in its facial region. where as coteaz wants to sit back and let the guns do the talking. Now, where Draigo made Paladins troops, Coteaz makes henchmen troops & they dont need an inquisitor to baby sit them. Henchmen are more versatile in my opinion. as such i wouldn't dream of taking paladins in a coteaz list... I currently run a coteaz list.

Tournament
Some tournaments ban certain characters, or all named characters. as such the previous 2 most popular lists wont work in those. fortunately we have some very decent standard HQ's. in fact, I wouldn't say we have a bad standard HQ. but where you go with that is your own incarnation

I will say however. Psyflemen (dreadnoughts with 2 twinlinked autocannons with psybolt ammo) can fit into almost every list

before suggesting what you should go out and buy. I would ask, what kind of army do you want to play? shooty, or combaty?

zhambah
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2013-03-31

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by thchero Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:56 am

Thank you all. Your sage wisdom helps. This is the only 40k forum I've found that is layer out well with a core of freindly people to help. From what I've heard shooting seems to take a lot of prescident ATM so was thinking core shooting with cc as support to allow me more shooting. plus I play c.c with my ogres so wanted a change

thchero
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Welcome Brother!

Have a look around this site for list ideas, and don't be afraid to post a list and ask for feedback, this is a very friendly and supportive community.
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by thchero Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm

I\'ve noticed brother Constantine. It feels like my ogre stronghold home and this I like. And this I based my decision to start 40k as well and also why I picked grey nights. I will write up a 2k all comers list tonight and hopefully post it in the lost section tomorrow. Can't wait start. I'm thinking a metallic shade of red/white. I like standing apart on the table top. Who likes following sheep. They have no place in the 41st millennium LOL.

thchero
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:31 pm

I posted 1d4chan because it's a good place to start. It's like wikipedia, you start there for a general idea and it's funny to read. It's not completely wrong, just take everything with a grain of salt. But Dom's suggestion is pretty good to start. I recommend getting dreadnoughts kitted with auto cannons because they fit well in every gk army.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 223
Army : Purifier Variant
Registration date : 2012-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by thchero Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Thank u. Volvoe yeah those dreadnoughts are silly good.. I can't wait start modeling some of them. Wanted try pose one like ezio crouched on assassins creed but obviously firing those giant hand cannons

thchero
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:44 pm

thchero wrote:I\'ve noticed brother Constantine. It feels like my ogre stronghold home and this I like. And this I based my decision to start 40k as well and also why I picked grey nights. I will write up a 2k all comers list tonight and hopefully post it in the lost section tomorrow. Can't wait start. I'm thinking a metallic shade of red/white. I like standing apart on the table top. Who likes following sheep. They have no place in the 41st millennium LOL.

I like originality! Make sure that you post pics of your work when you get going Very Happy We LOVE pics!!! cheers
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by thchero Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm

will do. :-) I can't stand doing bland samey schemes. My old high elves army (4th ed) was black and red. My current ogre army is midnight blue. I'm gonna buy some of those chaos ogres from fw. And use them (converted hopefully) and use them as maneaters. (Just need learn how paint again LOL

thchero
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down