Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Grey Knights

+6
Aubec le noir
bigbri
DCSJ30
Rivan
Requiem
Andy140491
10 posters

Go down

New to Grey Knights Empty New to Grey Knights

Post by Andy140491 Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Hey there guys.

First of all before i go any further i would just like to let you know that before i started grey knights i was a long time Ork player... so im really new to the " smaller units "

I\'ve firstly bought the codex and a unit of terminators. I just loved these models so much i dont really care how much i lose.... im just happy with having such a cool army fluff wise and model wise.

After watching many battle reports, reading different forums im starting to get worried. It seems like alot of the grey knight units get felled just as easy as normal marines. Another topic that seems to keep appearing is how much better space wolves are?... i mean i hate the models so im not really into em....

The point i wanted to get at is. Do grey knights justify their point cost well? and should i keep to smallers squad sizes were possible?, do i need to kit out my terminators to make them effective?

and what would be a reasonable all round type of force for around 2000pts?

thanks for all your help

Andy140491
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

New to Grey Knights Empty Re: New to Grey Knights

Post by Requiem Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Haha I'm not sure what forums you've been reading, but 99% of the webz agrees "OMG MATT WARD! ****ING GREY KNIGHTS AMG AMG SO OVERPOWERED! AMG *add some random profanities here* "

do we have better armour saves than normal marines? no... power armour is just a 3+ and termies 2+5++ like any normal marine... where's the difference? our termies are troops! and all our units have forceweapons, awesome psychic abilities and cool wargear!

Psycannons -> the best thing about grey knight imho... those heavy 4 str7 rending shots can literally kill everything in the game now that the monolith has been nerfed
Halberds -> close combat goodness! Termies striking at I6 with forceweapons? YES PLEASE!

So GK vs normal marines -> loads more damage! But yes, they can be killed just as 'easily', which is something you need to watch... but honoustly the armour saves are brilliant against most attacks and will keep your army running for quite a while! One thing you need to watch though is that you do need to have enough units on the board because there are limits to how badly you want to be outnumbered Wink

and honoustly: if you're sacrificing GK units as easily as normal marines then you're playing the wrong army Smile

just my2c
for reasonable lists i'd advise you to take a look at the subsection with all the lists, as there are loads of possibilities!

and welcome to the forums! Very Happy
Requiem
Requiem
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 196
Army : Grey Knights and Daemons
Registration date : 2011-07-27

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Welcome to the forums Andy.

Requiem pretty much touched on the good points. With the weapon load outs and war gear we can get, we can match up to any army out there.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy140491 Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey guys, in modelling terms, whats the difference between paladins and normal GK terminators?

Andy140491
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:14 pm

According to the pictures in the codex, the helmets are different for paladins and GKTs. I don't really follow it and use the same models whether I'm playing paladins or GKTs Smile
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DCSJ30 Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:24 pm

I thought the difference was Paladins had the librams on their backs, and termies didn't but I could be wrong, and I too don't follow this and use the models for both paladins and/or terminators depending on what I need at that time.
DCSJ30
DCSJ30
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Actually it's a combination of both, the pallies use New to Grey Knights 1301950447_GKTM075_w170_h170 these styles of heads as well as the back mounted icons.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:42 am

welcome aboard brother.
We, the GKs, can crush any army with strategy, tactics and faith ! Wink
btw i think the pallies have a Tabard that don't possess the GKTs ... but i may be wrong i don't remember well... scratch
for the Space wolves ... check the post "digging the archeovaults of GW" and you'll find so beautiful metal models SW that you'll cry ! Razz Razz
what ... advertisements for a post i created is not allowed !? ... so i'll have to go through under a special mandate like Ravenor, before the moderators punish me... !! Razz Razz
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by edmundblack Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Rule Number One with Grey Knights: they're expensive Marines, they'll die just as easily.

Rule Number Two: ignore all the "zomg, they're sooo overpowered!" hype because they're not.

Rule Number Three: take what YOU want to take, but still keep it simple. Minimum upgrades to do the job, more boots on the board.

Don't be afraid to take units which many don't consider either. I for one love using my 5 man Purgation Squad with Incinerators. I'm yet to meet a unit of Infantry that they can't kill (they're best yet is Sanguinary Guard + psychotic axe dude, and seeing an entire unit of 12 Genestealers + Broodlord vanish in one volley is priceless, believe me Twisted Evil ). Just because many folk will "advise" you take the seemingly obligatory set of three Dreadnoughts with twin Autocannons and Psybolts each it doesn't mean you have to. Sure they're good, but they're not the only thing in the book you know. Wink
edmundblack
edmundblack
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 171
Army : Grey Knights, Ordo Xenos, Imperial Cannon Fodder, Eldar
Registration date : 2010-05-15

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by deflef Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 pm

hallo

First: I'm new to this game and still learning it to play but I realy(x10) like the grey knight style and not only the style of the models but also the play style.

Second: if you look at the pictures the paladins have books above their heads and their shields have more depth so it would make a difference(I would make it any way)

deflef
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Lol Huuuuuge necro.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by sirron Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am

reanimated, but worth it!!!

paladins use diferent heads (the smallers) and those books in the back, but who cares?

adding one more noob question, should I put a halberd in a terminator that carries a special weapon (psy canon/incinerator) or I should keep the sword?

sirron
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 60
Army : Dark Eldar, Grey knights
Registration date : 2012-05-27

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:21 am

halberd is not a 2 handed weapon ... so you can take it