Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unbelievable journalist writes about 40k

+8
Brother Captain
Justicar_Tessius
elugin
Zealadin
Chaplain Thrace
Aubec le noir
NemesisForce
Moric
12 posters

:: Community

Go down

Unbelievable journalist writes about 40k Empty Unbelievable journalist writes about 40k

Post by Moric Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:48 am

Greetings brothers
I write this post as i was completely annoyed and even enraged after reading this article in a major greek newspaper.
They were invited by the 40k community of Athens Greece to cover the first major 40k tournie in greece and the article they published was full of irony in a nutshell describes the hobby as the home of militaristic right wing ideas.
Here is a link for a blog that has the article and a summary
http://cadia122.blogspot.com/2011/11/bad-journalism.html#more

I 'll search and find a link to the actual article and post it

Sometimes I think an actual inquisitor wouldn't be a bad idea
Moric
Moric
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 85
Army : Grey knights,Empire
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Unbelievable journalist writes about 40k Empty Re: Unbelievable journalist writes about 40k

Post by NemesisForce Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:33 am

Obviously she must be a second-rate junior reporter to have been sent to cover a story about a bunch of guys playing a game. She's probably thinks more highly of herself and was bitter at the assignment and is intentionally putting a deeper (and false) twist on the article so her superiors will take the more seriously. Bad thing is the article lacks any hard facts, is full of false conjecture and based on unwarranted opinions. Just what true reporting is all about, right? Way to go lady.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Unbelievable journalist writes about 40k Empty Re: Unbelievable journalist writes about 40k

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:44 am

we (and others) have the right to aswer the attack... maybe on the newspaper site ? ... scratch
anyway criticism is not a positive attitude, so it won't hurt me a lot Wink
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaplain Thrace Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:58 pm

I wonder what she does for a "hobby" or what she thinks of other types of gamers.
Still every one is allowed their own view, even if it is misinformed and heavily stereotyped .
Chaplain Thrace
Chaplain Thrace
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 120
Army : Grey Knights of the 7th Brotherhood; Adepta Sororitas of the Order of the Ebon Chalice
Registration date : 2011-07-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:53 am

Sorry but I am studying journalism now and we are not given the luxury of an opinion or point of view (in our work).
When you are writing you are responsible for educating and informing people about the topic matter, for the best interest of the public.

Journalists who write opinion articles are generally subject experts with years/decades of experience within an areas, giving them the right and perspective to add their own personal view to an article.

Otherwise the article should be objective with any assertions backed up by facts and sources.
If you can't back something up with 2-3 reliable sources then it shouldn't be included.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by elugin Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:21 am

@Zealadine Do you mean this article should not have been published?

As a general comment. Why do all articles about games so bad? I don't know how many articles I have read that just depict RPGamers as violent satanists...

Replaying to these people is a lost cause, they are too narrow minded to distinguish between fiction and reality. Mad
elugin
elugin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 368
Army : Gray Knights, Orks, Biel-Tan and the Court of the Young King, plus High Elves for Fantasy fans...
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Justicar_Tessius Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:38 pm

This is just one reason I believe stupid people should be publicly flogged....I'm just saying....
Justicar_Tessius
Justicar_Tessius
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 31
Army : Currently none forced to stop playing = (
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Captain Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Seems my country is getting international publicity for all the wrong reasons lately. Shocked The "fun" thing is that the article apeared on a suposedly serious newspaper, not a tabloid. What makes it even worse is that it's probably the only article on 40k in any nationwide newspaper.

However not all articles about 40k in greek media have been bad. There has been one article portraying 40k and wargaming in general in a neutral if not positive light. It was published in a newspaper inlet circulating only in Thessaloniki (second largest city in Greece) and it was written by my girlfriend. As you can guess I made sure she got all the info about the background and mechanics of the game and the people at my FLGS helped a lot as well. I mean I can't date every journalist writing about 40k but I try to do my part for the hobby. Rolling Eyes

Justicar_Tessius wrote:This is just one reason I believe stupid people should be publicly flogged....I'm just saying....

Stupid people should be made to scrape all the mouldlines of all the spare bits of all 40k players in their area. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Brother Captain on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Brother Captain
Brother Captain
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 203
Army : Daemonhunters, Blood Angels
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:02 pm

So you're saying if i want 40k to be represented well in Greece I just have do date all those journalists?

*limbers up* well it's a dirty job, but someones got to do it. Hot greek lady journalists here i come!

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:24 pm

elugin wrote:@Zealadine Do you mean this article should not have been published?

Basically yes.... this article is so biased and coloured by the journalist's opinion that the editor should have given it back and asked for a real article.
I can guarantee you that if I wrote something like this here not only would I be laughed out of the editors office for providing a terrible article, but I would probably be fired, and had it been published sued for defamation and probably discrimination.

This is the kind of drivel you expect from a blogger with a hatchet to bury.

Like I said its in breach of all the basic principles of good journalism...
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Captain Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:40 am

MJSwasey wrote:So you're saying if i want 40k to be represented well in Greece I just have do date all those journalists?

*limbers up* well it's a dirty job, but someones got to do it. Hot greek lady journalists here i come!

You gota do whatever you can for the hoby mate. Wink
Brother Captain
Brother Captain
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 203
Army : Daemonhunters, Blood Angels
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by White Butterfly Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:47 pm

I don't know when 5 out of 15 became a "majority" (oh look I can do random quote marks too), but whatever.

It's hard to imagine anyone I know who plays the game saying at least half the things she quotes these guys as saying. If they did it would be in a much richer conversation context, or clearly a joke. Black Templars are clearly Nazis and players believe so hard that they cover themselves in swastikas? Um. Yeah. There may be one player like that somewhere, but it's hardly the status quo. I mean come on - closing with a bold statement that women are completely incapable of engaging a fantasy that takes them away from the real world? Huh? I admit that it's a relatively rare occurrence to walk into a hobby shop and find another woman browsing the 40K section, but I do know a few very committed female hobbyists. And what if we step into something like WoW? There's TONS of female players of that very committed fantasy universe/game. Miff.

That said, I was pretty impressed with the article's photography. Props to the camera person at least for giving a good/accurate presentation of the overall feel in an afternoon of warhammering.

White Butterfly
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Chorster Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:05 pm

I agree with the woman thing Butterfly. Now I dont know any women around here that play 40k but I do know many that have enjoyed/enjoy WoW and tons that play magic or some other card game.
Brother Chorster
Brother Chorster
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 24
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-12-13

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by stormknight Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:09 am

Maybe Gamesworkshop need to work harder on their ability to advertise their games in different ways. Then again easier said than done, at least wow get some funny/stupid adverts.
Brother white butterfly, what you said/quoted about black templars is hilarious lol

I can't wait for holographic board gaming bounce maybe 2067?
stormknight
stormknight
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 331
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down