Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1750 Points First List (Please dissect)

5 posters

Go down

1750 Points First List (Please dissect) Empty 1750 Points First List (Please dissect)

Post by Nemesis356 Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi all,

First time posting, so here goes...

Just bought a GK army after being out of the WH40k hobby for almost 9 years. Throwing out my first list and seeing what kind of response I get on it.

HQ

Lord Kaldor Draigo
Brotherhood Champion

ELITE

Purifier Squad x 10
KoF Strm Bltr and Hammer (MC)
Psycannon
Psycannon
Psycannon
Psycannon
Storm Bolter / Halberd
Storm Bolter / Halberd
Storm Bolter / Halberd
Storm Bolter / Halberd
Storm Bolter / Halberd
Psybolt Ammo
Razorback TL Lascannon

TROOPS

Paladin Squad x 5
Psycannon and Halberd (MC)
Psycannon (MC) and Halberd
Storm Bolter / Banner
Storm Bolter / Hammer (MC)
Storm Bolter / Halberd (MC)
Psybolt Ammo

Terminator Squad x 5
Justicar Strm Bltr Hammer (MC)
Psycannon / Halberd
Storm Bolter / Banner
Storm Bolter / Halberd
Storm Bolter / Halberd
Psybolt Ammo

Heavy Support

Dreadnought
Twin Linked Autocannon (Right)
Twin Linked Autocannon (Left)
Psybolt Ammo

Nemesis Dreadknight
Heavy Incinerator
Nemesis Greatsword

With all wargear, comes to exactly 1750 points. When I first made the list, I came to 1645, so I mastercrafted something else and added the Brotherhood Champion, just to give some extra CC punch and maybe take some heat off Draigo. I know such an expensive HQ choice is probably not ideal right off the bat, but I want to see how Draigo matches up against Blood Angel CC.

My battle plan:

I'm going to Combat Squad the purifiers, leaving my 4 psycannons and a melee in the razorback to basically get them where they can do the most damage. I wanted to go with a razorback to add the lascannnon - I figure it's a nice safety net to be able to at least knock out an enemy rhino or skimmer early on. My question is this, with a transport capacity of 6, should I add the brotherhood champ to my psycannoners, or should I send him off with the melee group of 5? should i send the KoF with the psycannoners?

Paladins and Terminators i will probably keep off and deep strike in turn one... maybe? May also just let them roam the wilderness in search of targets.

Psylfedread will be Psyfledreadin'.

I will try and flank a bit with the Dreadknight and then use him to hammer on some CC priorities.

Should I attach Draigo to the Paladins?

At this point level, I'm only fielding 25 models, but I figure that's probably enough as long as I'm selective and try to match out as best I can. I think I've got a good mix of firepower and CC power.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Nemesis356
Nemesis356
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 10
Army : Grey Knights, Thousand Sons
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

1750 Points First List (Please dissect) Empty Re: 1750 Points First List (Please dissect)

Post by Rivan Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Draigo is definitely fun to use and since you're using him, you definitely want to attach him to the paladins. He can save your paladins from getting instant killed by lascannon or melt shots (even MLs).

One thing...you won't be able to deep strike in Turn 1 (unless you use Mordrak).

Welcome again and enjoy your stay! Smile
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

1750 Points First List (Please dissect) Empty Re: 1750 Points First List (Please dissect)

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:23 am

welcome brother
remark : give yourself the time of thinking with thr RB : depending on the field, the opponent and the mission you maybe will need to use the RB with your CC purifiers and at this time a BChamp would be a clear upgrade of them in cc.
i really love draigo and as brother Rivan says you'd better attach him with the pallies ... will be a point bag but a point bag that can eradicate every unit of this game, including the BA
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemesis356 Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:07 am

One thing I noticed with the GK list, is that you really almost need to take Draigo or Crowe as your HQ just so you can avoid having to load down with normal GK strike squads or just 2 groups of normal termies. Termies are always great, but paladins? They're beast.

Rivan, what in your opinion is the better HQ bang-for-the-buck between the librarian, grand master, captain or champion? There are so many HQ choices with the Knights, it's almost ridiculous. Then again, when I played 9 years ago, I played Necrons and Thousand Sons. Not alot of freedom on HQ choices when Necrons came out, and not really a boatload of options for a pure Thousand Sons army either. I see in alot of today's newer codexes there seem to be way more HQ options.
Nemesis356
Nemesis356
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 am

For the HQ's it very much depends on the composition of your army, but the main choices are always going to be libby of GM. Champs are nice at very low pts levels, otherwise take a libby, more effect on the army. Captains are kind of pointless since for a measly 25pts more you get the GM who has Grand Strategy. Out of a libby and a GM it depends on your army list. People who min size their troops tend to use the GM for making stuff scoring, I personally tend to take a few troops choices so I prefer the utility of the libby and his powers.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 am

Totall agree with Bigbri. I never take a BCaptain since 25pts will give me Grand strategy. It is a toss up w/ the libby and the GM depending on how you built your list. I personally love using my own customizable GM. But I would just as easily use a libby as well. Sometimes both Evil or Very Mad
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemesis356 Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:49 am

I think my only problem with the Librarian right now is there isn't a model that looks like a grey knight without spending eons doing a conversion. I guess one could just take a plastic terminator, give it a nemesis stave or something, spruce up a big book on the back... I don't know, won't look like the art in the Codex on the librarian page.

Never mind, the librarian just looks like a terminator... I was thinking about the techmarine.

Very tired.

Sleep takes me.
Nemesis356
Nemesis356
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by shadow Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:46 am

I would say that if you're paying for Draigo you might as well run a Paladin list and not bother with Terminators. Field 10 of them so you can split them down into 2 in Objective missions but keep them in one unit for Kill Point missions, if they're equipped differently it takes a lot to take 10 Paladins down due to wound allocation, even more difficult if you put them in terrain and have a Libby casting Shrouding.

Also, I would put 2 PsyDreads in instead of the Dreadknight even though I think the Dreadknight model is so cool.
shadow
shadow
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2011-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemesis356 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:44 am

I would pick another Psyfledread in a higher point game, but really, I see the DK as both a nice distraction and a CC monster. He stays!

Also, is a brotherhood banner really worth it in a five man squad? Really, all you're getting is 2 more attacks in a 5 man squad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the banner can't be used as a close combat weapon, right? Does he swing it around like a pike? I dunno lol.
Nemesis356
Nemesis356
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:00 am

IMO, you can do w/o a banner for a 5-man squad. If those points are really extra, I would give 1 warding staff instead. Allows you to deflect that 1 or 2 PF hits on your pallies.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down