Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to 40k, first grey knight list 1750 points

+3
Zealadin
Rivan
Joel henry
7 posters

Go down

New to 40k, first grey knight list 1750 points Empty New to 40k, first grey knight list 1750 points

Post by Joel henry Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Fellow brothers,

Any assistance you could render me would be great. Am I way off base for a competitive-but-not-cheese list? I want something I can learn to use well, that won't just roll over, but that isn't going to any GTs either.

Here's what I have so far:

HQ

Castellan Crowe

Troops

10 purifiers, 2 psycannons, 1 mc dh, 7 halberds, psybolt ammo
10 purifiers, 2 psycannons, 1 mc dh, 7 halberds, psybolt ammo
10 terminators, 2 psycannons, 1mc dh, 7 halberds, psybolt ammo

Razorback dedicated transport with twin linked assault cannon, psybolt ammo

Elites

1 vindicare assassin

Heavy support

2 dreadnoughts, both with 2 twin linked autocannons and psybolt ammo

I've got 15 or so points left in 1750.

Any help is appreciated Smile

Ta,

Joel

Joel henry
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

New to 40k, first grey knight list 1750 points Empty Re: New to 40k, first grey knight list 1750 points

Post by Rivan Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Welcome to the forums Brother Joel!

You actually have a nice well-rounded list there. Is there only 1 razorback? or do both purifier squads have them? I personally prefer rhinos since you can shoot 2 p-cannons on the move.

I like the list though. Incidentally, how do you plan to use Crowe?
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

New to 40k, first grey knight list 1750 points Empty Re: New to 40k, first grey knight list 1750 points

Post by Zealadin Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:06 pm

If the razorback is for Crowe then I would say take it stock as a PsyHB Razor, you also seem a bit light on Psycannons for my liking.
The list has a nice feel to it, although its pretty light on bodies.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Joel. Though you mentioned you're light on bodies I'd strongly suggest to even reduce two Purifier squads by two models each and mount them in Rhinos. To be fully effective these guys need to get in combat as quick as possible.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:52 pm

While I agree the mobility a rhino adds is useful I don't agree that purifiers have to get into cc to be fully effective, their stormbolters and Psycannons, particularly in this list play a massive role due to light anti tank available, and while against some armies like tau you need to be in combat asap against others its not such an issue.
If they where all carrying halberds and in a storm raven with psyammo it might be a different issue, but as it stands they need to play more balanced roles to make your army work.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Joel henry Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks for the support and comments so far guys. I apologise in advance if I'm about to say something dumb but...

I was taking the razorback so that Crowe could use it as mobile cover while adding a little more shooting to the army. Not necessarily in it, as I believe you can't assault from inside a razorback (am I right?), but just tagging along behind/beside it to try and help him get where he needs to go - which will generally be looking for something big to suicide into. I expect him to die in every game, but don't want him to be snuffed by grunts shooting if possible.

I have no idea how to use rhinos Sad
Can't an enemy just shoot them and kill the unit inside?
When you get out, won't you just get assaulted? Isnt this a bad thing?

Since you guys say I'm light on bodies (something that seems unavoidable with the grey knights), would taking 4 more bodies off to get rhinos just be bad? Would I be dropping the razorback for this? Can I have 3 dedicated transports when only 2 units can board them? (terminators can't fit IIRC)

As for the lack of psycannons, I could double the number of them in the purifier units by dropping the auto cannon from the razorback....but I was concerned how the unit would fight in close combat. Since a purifier gives up his NFW to carry one, can he even attack in an assault?

I was planning on using combat squads whenever I didn't have to worry about kill points, giving me 6 small units for objectives....is this enough? I was hoping the purifiers abilities would help with being outnumbered as cleansing flare seems a very nasty way of cutting down the number on the big armies like orks and nids and possibly guard as well.....I think the tanks might be an issue though...

I'm glad to hear it sounds balanced, this is what I was looking for. The vindicare and the dreads to take on vehicles, with a little psycannons help, the purifiers for hordes and assaults and the terminators because.....well because the model are cool if I'm honest Smile. And Crowe for flavour.

Thanks for the excellent input so far, but if you could help me get my head around the above it'd be great.

Ta,

Joel.

Joel henry
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun May 01, 2011 1:03 am

A rhino is just a transport, easily killed but it can move infantry around fast, can't assault out of it, but can shoot out the top hatch with 2 models, which means you can stay in the relative safety of your vehicle and fire.
That being said its a KP.

The assault cannon isn't bad but it will draw alot of attention, and probably get snuffed out quickly, Crowe can't assault from a razorback if it has moved that turn, but good planning can overcome this. The cost of the PsyAssault Cannon is almost enough to get another tank which might be a better deal.
Two Heavy Bolter Razorbacks with PsyAmmo would certainly be useful for screening him.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Joel henry Sun May 01, 2011 1:43 am

That second razorback sounds like a good idea then....goodbye auto cannon! Smile. The spare points I had left over allow me to make up the difference Smile

I guess, when I combat squad, I can put a squad in each razorback and move them about that way, as required.

List now:

Crowe
Vindicare
2 double twin linked autocannon dreads with psybolt
10 terminators, 1 mc dh, 2 psycannons, 7 halberds, psybolt ammo
2 squads of 10 purifiers, each with 1mc dh, 2 psycannons, 7 halberds, psybolt ammo
2 razorbacks, tl-hb, psybolt ammo

Better but still balanced?
Any glaring weaknesses?

Joel henry
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun May 01, 2011 2:24 am

None that aren't inherent in our codex anyway :p
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Joel henry Sun May 01, 2011 3:10 am

Cool! Thanks for the help. I guess I need to buy an assassin and 2 razorbacks now.....and some of the forge world doors for them.....and Crowe, of course Smile

The rest I already have (using the metal PAGK for purifiers). Looking forward to painting them and getting some games in soon.

Joel henry
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun May 01, 2011 4:07 am

You can probably use a normal Justicar for Crowe, unless you really want the model, and I've seen some cool sniper conversions into assassins.

The FW doors really are great though for the vehicles, makes them stand out!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus Tue May 17, 2011 3:02 am

Excuse ignorance here Brothers but do you need to take an Inquisitor HQ choice along side Brother Crowe to be able take the vindicare assasin?

On the list itself, for me does not give enough deepstrike units, Looks to me a force that needs to drive or footslog across the board. Those purifiers are going to attract a lot of incoming fire.
Maximus
Maximus
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 62
Army : Grey Knights, Ultramarines, Bretonnians
Registration date : 2011-05-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Tue May 17, 2011 3:05 am

Nope assassins are seperate choices now, don't require a inq anymore
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus Tue May 17, 2011 3:17 am

Just looked at the force organisation list myself, quite right many thanks brother. hmmmm vindicare assassins hey.....EVIL LAUGH, That with a few Deathcult assassins could be just plain Nasty!!!
Maximus
Maximus
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 62
Army : Grey Knights, Ultramarines, Bretonnians
Registration date : 2011-05-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Tue May 24, 2011 6:43 am

3 Troops without transports...

The Terminators I assume are deepstriking? ok so they might survive.

Purifiers footslogging isn't a good idea because unless you have a LOT of cover between you and the enemy a few big pie plate templates will annihilate your Purifiers before they get anywhere near the enemy.

psyammo dreadnoughts are brilliant.

Crowe.......i'd leave him to footslog (yes I mean it!).

He's really NOT that brilliant in CC cause he can only hit those in base contact with him. so that's a maximum of around 4. when you have a unit capable of launching 30 attacks against him and he can only hit 4 you DON'T want him in CC.

TBH I'm not sure Crowe and Purifiers as troops is really doing you any favours.
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by hardrainfalling Tue May 24, 2011 8:56 am

heavy armour like leman russ and landraiders are going to give your big problems as will mech eldar , a few ap3 template weapons could really ruin your day and leave your termines slooging around the battlefield

hardrainfalling
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 121
Army : Greyknights/ eldar/ guard/ daemons
Registration date : 2011-02-08

http://www.storm-crow.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down