Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Battle Reports, 1 Thread

5 posters

Go down

2 Battle Reports, 1 Thread Empty 2 Battle Reports, 1 Thread

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:02 am

Hello Brothers! I managed to make it down to my local gaming store yesterday and got 2 very nice games in. These battle reports will be from memory, so they won't be very good. I want to share them anyways, though.

Game 1
Opponent: Space Wolves
Game Type: Seize Ground - 4 objectives
Deployment: Pitched Battle
First Turn: Grey Knights
My List: Draigo, 5 Paladins w/ 2 psycannons, 10-man GKSS in rhino w/ 2 psycannons, 10-man IS w/ 2 psycannons and 1 hammer, 1 psyfleman, 1 SR to hold Draigo and his buddies.

So this was my second game to really play. I had played against Daemons previously, and the "stand back and shoot" strategy worked pretty well against them, so I tried that here. This was not a good idea.

I used Grand Strategy to make everything scoring. I just kind of randomly deployed my guys, as I didn't really know the best place to put them. He deployed 3 razorbacks and 2 rhinos clumped up together in the center of his deployment zone, a 5-man longfang squad on his left and right, and kept a scouting squad in reserve (it had some rule where it could come in on my deployment zone). There were 2 rune priests that were in rhinos, but I don't know exactly what his other troops were.

First turn, I drove my SR up and my rhino, and I wrecked a razorback! His first turn, he focus-fired my SR to explode it... I had kept my interceptors in cover, and I had shot at his long fangs with my psyfleman. That's pretty much all the turn-by-turn I can remember for this battle Razz

By his turn 2 his scouts came in and tied up my psyfleman in combat. I destroyed I believe 2 more razorbacks, and managed to take out 1 or 2 of his longfang models. I basically stood back and shot at him... Gosh that was a dumb idea.

On his either turn 2 he revealed a neat little power his Rune Priest had. I forgot what it was called, but anything in a straight line from the priest had to roll a dice; if I rolled a 5 or 6 for that model, the model died. I lost 3 pallies to this on his first use of it... This CRIPPLED the unit. He used this power throughout the game, killing almost all my my strike squad (after he exploding the rhino, of course).

Around turn 4 I shunted my interceptors and they did almost nothing before getting overwhelmed by opposing models (I played them way too defensively the whole game up to that point, so I tried to make up for that by playing the way too aggressively; they died as a result).

At turn 5 he drove his rhinos up to contest the 2 objectives I had been holding, he got to an objective that I was nowhere near, but my psyfleman finally forced his scouts to break combat. They ran away, and the objective that they had been fighting for the entire game was given to me. Game ended at turn 5, and it was a tie.

Honestly, I was thrilled to not lose this game. I obviously had no coherency is my strategy, and I had a lot of trouble trying to decide what to do. I should have gotten my pallies into CC ASAP and used my interceptors as fire support until it was time to shunt and contest the objective that he was holding. Instead, I kept the pallies back and did close to nothing with my interceptors (I think they took out 1 longfang...). I learned A LOT during this game about how my list needs to be played. My list is actually quite adaptable to the opponents'; I just need to bother adapting them!

Game 2
Opponent: Necrons
Game Type: "Get Off My Rock" - Annihilation
Deployment: Pitched Battle
First Turn: Necrons
My List: Everything in the 1500 points list + hammer on the GKSS, Librarian w/ Warp Quake, Shrouding, Sanctuary, MoT, Dreaknight w/ sword, incinerator, and PT, and the psyfleman got an upgrade to venerable. Libby goes with pallies in SR, and Draigo footslogs.
His List: 2 big 'ol squads of warriors, 2 monoliths, 3 destroyers, 3 wraiths, 1 destroyer lord, and Nightbringer (this guy is scary in CC).

We rolled for terrain, and only 2 pieces were rolled for. I'm thinking, "Great, 2 pieces against a shooty army; let's see how this goes". He put a small piece of terrain kind to my left of the table center. I put a HUGE piece of terrain (it even blocked LOS from my SR) to my right of the table center and a bit towards his table edge. He deployed pretty spread out across his deployment zone. I deployed everything to the right of my deployment zone, keeping as many things out of LOS using my 1 terrain piece. I gave my DK and IS scout, and moved them up 12 inches (hurray for jump infantry movement!).

His first turn, he moved his warriors and monoliths forward, his Nightbringer a bit to my right (behind the terrain piece), his destroyers around the terrain on my left, and his wraiths moved into the big terrain piece.
I proceeded to move everything forward. I shot at his monolith with my SR's multi-melta and did nothing to it. My psyflemen shot at his destroyers doing nothing. My interceptors and DK then decided to shoot the hell out of his wraiths. They all died. End of turn 1.

He then used his destoyer lord to teleport it and one of his warrior squad right in front of my DK and interceptors. He shot up my interceptors, taking out 7. I was left with 2 psycannons and 1 hammer in that squad. He did some more shooting, but nothing really happened. He had moved Nightbringer closer to my army.
I then moved everything forward, hiding behind the terrain piece. Psyfleman shot at destroyers, doing nothing. I disembarked my pallies/libby. I focus-fired on his warriors with his lord, killing a lot of them. Moved into assault with my pallies, DK, and remaining interceptors, killing the rest of them, but taking a perrils hit on my DK and losing 1 interceptor (2 remaining). I consolidated towards the terrain for cover.

His next turn, he really didn't do much. He moved up some things, tried to shoot some things, and ultimately did nothing to me.
My next turn, I moved more things up, got Draigo to join the pallies, and put my DK right in front of Nightbringer: the epic battle was soon to commence. I then shunted my interceptors behind his warriors and shot at them, killing none. My psyfleman then took out one of his destroyers. I did some shooting, but didn't really do much, and I rolled snake-eyes for warp rift on my libby, taking a perrils hit. Then my DK used his heavy incinerator on Nightbringer. That template is awesome, I put the small end right on top of Nightbringer, and it reached 2 of his warriors that were behind the monolith that was behind Nightbringer, killing 1 warrior and doing nothing to Nightbringer. I then moved my DK into assault with Nightbringer, and took ANOTHER perrils hit! Suspect The DK and Nightbringer did their thing, DK took 1 wound (leaving him with only 1 left thanks to perrils), and Nightbringer took 2 (leaving him with 3 left). I then moved into assault with my 2 remaining interceptors. The interceptors killed one, but I lost 1 as well (leaving 1 left).

Next turn, he used his monolith's power to move his warriors close to Nightbringer, and they shot at my pallies, dealing 1 wound. He then finished off the last interceptor with his monoliths.
I then moved my SR and pally squad up to shoot at the warriors, killing a few. The DK and Nightbringer continued their assault. The DK took no wounds, but dealt 2. Each was left with 1 wound remaining. I then moved into assault with my pallies against his warriors, cleaned them out, and he phased out.

I would say that I played relatively well this game, but I still made a couple mistakes (especially with my interceptors; I really need to use them better). My opponent could have put up a better fight if he had not been so eager to whittle my interceptors down. I think it would have been a more difficult fight if he had used his warriors a little more wisely. Overall, it was a good day of gaming.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 619
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

2 Battle Reports, 1 Thread Empty Re: 2 Battle Reports, 1 Thread

Post by Aubec le noir Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 am

good batreps !
question : against the nightbringer did you missed all your psytests to kill him everytime you wound him ? or is he eternal warrior ? (i don't know much about Necrons Suspect study ) or did you forgot this power ?
Aubec, curious pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:10 am

I just checked, and he is not an eternal warrior. I'm assuming you're talking about activating the force weapon? I completely forgot about this... Embarassed

Would have been hilarious to take him out in first turn of combat, blow up his monolith, then lay waste to his warriors. I tend to forget about some psychic things. On that note, does holocaust scatter? I forgot...
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:23 am

i don't think holocaust scatter
and against the monolith there's a Libbie power that makes automatic test on the damage table ... very useful
and yes i think you could have killed the big monster Nightbringer in 1 blow !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
next time !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Aubec pirat

Last edited by Aubec le noir on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:26 am

I really need to write down a list of things that I often forget about, then keep that list with me during battles.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:26 am

yes holocaust does scatter. little hint on that. let the apothecary use it, since he aint got a stormbolter and cant shoot otherwise anyway.
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 am

Good batreps! And good lessons learned as well Smile
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:13 am

Souba, your insight almost makes me want to try and find room for an apothecary haha. Unfortunately, I would have to drop the venerable status of my dread, and I don't think I want to do that.

Thanks Rivan! Yes, good lessons learned indeed.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by sabian Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:05 pm

If i remember correctly the night bringer can't be instant killed due to his special rules in the necron codex, him being a god and all. Batreps are great and some good stuff happening, my only suggestion is using the Interceptor squad to move up to deal with long fangs and destroyers, they're great at that, especially if you give them psybolt ammo.
sabian
sabian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:07 pm

I did. That's how they died. Right after they shunted, the rhinos nearby just rolled on over, dropped off a bunch of guys, and they ran over me.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by sabian Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:20 pm

hrm, well you used them right imho he just countered properly then. Could happen to any of us really, and i'm not going to get in to a big discussion about countering counters seeing as i wasn't there Very Happy. Well you at least got a win and a draw Smile
sabian
sabian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah, like I said, I was very happy to simply not have lost that game. I would have lost had his scouts not failed their morale test, but that was the risk he took when he decided to rely on them as the only thing to counter my dread holding that objective.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content