Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building toward 1500

+2
Rivan
Sai
6 posters

Go down

Building toward 1500 Empty Building toward 1500

Post by Sai Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:37 am

I'm building toward 1500, but this is what I've got so far:

GM
4 Terminators
Incinerator

Captain with Psycannon
5 Terminators
Psycannon

Grey Knights (4+ Justicar)

Grey Knights (4+ Justicar)

Dreadnought
Twin-Linked Lascannon
Missile Launcher
Extra Armour

Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
Missile Launcher
HK Missile
Extra Armour

Everything's pretty naked at the moment and I have 225 free.
Is it worth taking Psychic powers on the terminators?
If I'm adding heavy weapons to the grey knight squads I want to be adding whole new troopers, otherwise their hand-to-hand abilities will drop to being negligible.

The second squad will be the closest thing I have to a line unit, chewing up infantry until its time to counter attack.
The GM's unit will hopefully make sure that counter attack kills enough to send the daemons/xenos/brightly coloured whusses running..
My opponents tend to be ok with me using the Assaultcannon with the modern rules. A lot of people see the HK as being a waste, but it's useful against transports. The dread can fire 2 krak missiles in the first turn and then switch to frag missiles and the assault cannon for taking out the infantry once the distance has closed a little.

All this depends very much on the enemy though, but I figure that the Grey Knights can adapt.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Building toward 1500 Empty Re: Building toward 1500

Post by Rivan Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:53 am

I like the fact that you have 2 hard hitting units w/ the GM+retinue and the GKT squad. However, you might be a little light on the PAGK troops units. 5 man units are not that resilient. For your remaining points, I'd probably add another squad and maybe bump them all up to at least 6-man squads. Investing in a special weapon or two is also not a bad idea.

As far as heavies, I'm more inclined to drop one of the dreads and add some more points to get a godhammer pattern LR. It'll provide one of your units some mobility plus give you some serious long range AT. But that's just me...I love LR's. I run 2 of them in a 1500 pt list Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:35 pm

I agree with Rivan. Definitely have to beef-up the Troop choices first. There's been a few people that has had some success with an all foot-slogging list but LR's can make life a whole lot easier. Since you have the models already you might as well try out the hoof'n-it list to see if it works for you. The only psychic power I'd go for is Hammerhand for your GM and B-C.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:24 pm

I'd just bulk out your two PAGK squads.
Another squad can be useful for objectives, but I'd be more inclined to add some psycannons and lay down fire while your terminators advance
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 pm

With two such termie squads and dreads to gaurd your PAGK I honestly might Deep strike the termies.

I mix up my lists alot, and I'm one of the people who's had alot of success with footslogging. I took a 1LR 1850 to a tourney today and won it. Due to the recent success of MSU i ran a bunch of 6 man PAGK squads with a special weapon (or two) in each. It worked out really well for me! Troops are important in 5th, so i'd say 3 is a MINIMUM for any army, and 4 is probably optimal. Smart use of cover and shrouding will usually see at least 1-2 through.

The Dual psycannon squad is a great objective holder, i rarely leave home without one! I usually take it as a 5 man and through an inquisitor with artificer armor and emperors Tarot back there for extra wound soaking goodness!

I like that you run dreads, but I think dreads should almost always have a CCW. any anti-troop fire should be from GK storm bolters/Psycannons, and I run my dreads CCW and either melta or las. even if they sit back firing, the enemy is afraid to get close, and using a s10 close combat weapon is better odds than any gun on poping vehicles! Plus you always take smoke on CCW dreads, and our smoke is one of the best things about GK (always glances!) run it in cover while smoked and it's nigh invulnerable, and then next turn it jumps out using melta or las goodness and assaulting things!

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 am

OK, so it's looking like another 5 knights and as many cannons and incinerators I can shoehorn in there. I can decide later whether to reinforce the units I have or create a new one, but I tend to prefer small squads as they're easier to control the enemy LOS to them which I find is especially important if that enemy has a battlecannon.

Rather than taking hammerhand, would it be worth swapping out a normal terminator for one with a thunderhammer and storm shield? I'm thinking he'd be useful for the grandmaster's squad if there're any eternal warrior types knocking around. If anyone's teleporting it will probably be the GM's squad to reinforce whichever PAGK is having a hard time. In most cases the captain's group will usually be needed for shooting people full of holes.

The next dreadnought I'm working on has shoulder mounted lascannons, an incinerator and a powerfist, so I might swap him in over the assault cannon if it's not tearing up enough vehicles.

I'm going to hold off on the landraiders until I get my intial 1500 sorted. I'm a big fan of them and used a couple in my space wolf army regularly back in third/fourth edition, but I often came across issues in dense terrain/cityfight games because it's a big model to drive about and it's sometimes difficult to get both sponsons on target at closer ranges. On the other hand they'd quite plainly be life savers on a more open field, so I'll see how it goes.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:51 pm

The crusader is fantastic in dense terrain because it gets cover saves untill it drives close enough to unlease it's awesome firepower, but I digress.

It's almost never a bad idea to have ONE guy with a thunderhammer in a decent sized termie squad - Their real strength is s6 power weapons at initiative, but we all make sacrifices for anti tank. However, I'd consider hammerhand AS WELL. It's almost an auto include on my HQ's because of the +1 attack and s8 on a model that already has a good number of attacks for very few points. Against vehicles this goes from "maybe i'll do something" to "most likely a few results", and did i mention it's cheap?

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Makes sense.
I like my psychic powers how I like my women.
Cheap with most likely a result.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Ezekiel Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:53 am

dude....thats wrong,for a mesely worm of the false Emperors lapdog.I mean even Nurgle respects women more.
Brother Ezekiel
Brother Ezekiel
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 691
Location : Segmentum Obscurus,Battle Barge Immolative Onslaught
Army : White Raven Space Marines 5th Company and the new Bloodoathed Chaos Space Marines,also Empire General Rainer 'Cursebreaker' 'Dwarf-helper' Raukovs independent 18th army of Nuln
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 am

I used to be a radical Inquisitor.
I'm getting therapy.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar