Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

750-1000 Point Army list. All veterans, please assist.

3 posters

Go down

750-1000 Point Army list. All veterans, please assist. Empty 750-1000 Point Army list. All veterans, please assist.

Post by Nausaden Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 am

I have been slowly working on my pure Grey Knights army. Since I don't have $10000 in my wallet, I have been buying very few. It is my first army, and after seeing a lot of games and playing several, I am stuck on making a small 1000 point pure Grey Knight army. I really need help with what wargear to bring about and what will the cost be around. I'm also heart set on having my converted Grand Master; no brother captains, regardless how small the game is Razz I will mostly be fighting large Tyranids and Chaos, as well as some orks and hopefully Daemons. I played and crushed a Necron player in a 1000 point game; fool brought in a Monolith. Avoiding it like the plague and slaughtering his few squads was a breeze. But alas, here is what I have to offer, please help me make a competent list.
HQ
Grand master- Force Weapon, Psy bolts, Master crafted weapon
Retinue x4 Grey Knight Terminators *I also have a brother captain*

Troops: Grey Knights in power armor
1 Justicar x5-7 Grey Knights +1 Incinerator
1 Justicar x5-7 Grey Knights +1 Psycannons

That's all I have at the moment; very few units of course and I'll obviously have to add in a bit more meat. Namely, some Grey Knight Dreadnoughts or perhaps a landraider if possible.

Please tell me what wargear and psyker powers are worth it and which are trash, as well as your thoughts and ideas in helping me build a small list. Thank you all brothers for your time.

Last edited by Nausaden on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

750-1000 Point Army list. All veterans, please assist. Empty Re: 750-1000 Point Army list. All veterans, please assist.

Post by Zealadin Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:16 am

I'd recommend just 1 psycannon in the PAGK squad and one on a GKT (or the GM, or both)
I'd also say only 1 Incin in the PAGK squad, because your losing alot of flexibility and SB shots/NFW attacks by taking one let alone two.

Your obvious weakness is heavily armoured tanks, but at 1k points its not a huge one since many people won't be taking anything with more than 12 armour, and Psys will take care of these anyway.
I'd consider maybe hammerhand for your GM, so he can tank hunt, and possibly holocaust if he and his squad are CC centred
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

750-1000 Point Army list. All veterans, please assist. Empty Re: 750-1000 Point Army list. All veterans, please assist.

Post by Nausaden Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks Brother Zealadin; I shall cut down the PAGK squad to a single Incinerator. It's good to hear that the Psys will be able to deal with the light armor, and I'll replace a storm bolter in the GKT squad with one to see how that works out.

As for the GM, I was wondering with hammerhand does that mean I won't be able to take down big nids? Since apparently you don't get your Force Weapon attributes with it. Holocaust is a must.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Brother Nausaden, I just wanted to make sure you knew that a GM's retinue does not have a BC so you won't have to spend the 15 pts there.

You can only use 1 psychic power per player turn so you won't be able to force kill a carnifex or hive tyrant in the same turn if you used hammerhand. Unfortunately, your GM can only purchase 1 psychic power so if you really wanted both hammerhand and holocaust, you might need to purchase an elite unit of GKT's w/ a BC and just have your GM join them. Of course, he won't have the benefit of the "retinue" rule.

I would really "try" to fit 1 LR in there if possible points wise. Cost wise I think the LR is only slightly more expensive than a dread anyway.

Good luck and looking forward to see how your army develops Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Hammerhand means your normal weapon rules don't count, and it counts as a psychic power, holocaust is pretty sweet too for assaulting, but again won't let you force weapon kill anything

Whether you expand into more troops, or vehicles is the main question
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:19 pm

Thank you brothers; you two *Zealadin and Rivan* are certainly veterans ^___^.

Ah, thank you Brother Rivan for letting me know. I was unsure if I could have a Brother Captain within the retinue, and if he counted as a second HQ.

I am a big fan of infantry, so I will probably expand my Grey Knight squads. I thought that consecrated scrolls could let me have two psychic powers, but now that I think of it I would probably be better off just grabbing holocaust against most armies since I could only use one psychic power regardless.

Albeit I like the idea of having a Dreadnought to deal with vehicles, would this be a viable choice? I will look into getting a Land Raider, albeit I don't have enough cash to really spruce for any vehicles for awhile.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:20 pm

Ah, one other thing, what about wargear for my Grand Master? To make him as much of a beast as possible. Namely, master crafting and what not.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:29 am

I'm not a huge fan of GM's, I just feel they are very expensive for what they bring to the table, especially lacking a eternal warrior rule while being so limited in many ways!

Mastercrafting is quite popular for them though

A Dread is a good investment in my opinion, I got the Forgeworld body for mine just to make it a little different, and really love the model!
LR's are also a great choice, and I cherish mine because they are often the defining winning unit of my army!
At 1k points I'd probably say two dreads or a LR if possible, otherwise your playing a much harder army list than I'm normally game to take Very Happy
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:58 am

Very Happy Thank you Brother Zeal, it's a real shame how expensive the GM is. That Force weapon can be really hand at most times though.

I love the dreads from Forge World! I have been thinking of getting one, but with how pricey FW is I don't know.

I suppose a sanctified LR would really make a difference, just to make nice cover for my troops/provide transport/deal with heavy armor or large creatures from a range. It's just so tough playing with so few Knights on the bored at times, but that's also the fun part.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:31 pm

Yea it can be quite challenging when most people play with armies that destroy 3+ saves, which is why I find the LR's such an amazing unit, what would wipe out 3 units of GK's can simply bounce off the hull of a LR, and it will often limit your opponents choices of firing, meaning they must waste alot of firepower unlikely to breach a LR on one that may be transporting your offensive squads

They also provide amazing cover, and great protection in games where you can't afford to have your GK's out of cover, I'm not sure if there is a link somewhere but I think over at bolter and chainsword someone called Silent Requiem has an army list and strategy thread, and its a really great read for competitive GK players, even though its one ruleset old.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Ah yes, Silent Requiem and his water warrior tactica. It was one of the first I saw while browsing about; I'll certainly have to revisit it now that I have a much larger comprehension of how most of the game works.

I'll start working to put an LR on my list; buying and building comes first of course.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down