Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT

+26
DonFer
TheCrimsonGlass
GMKDynamis
Grimhack
elugin
Nausaden
MJSwasey
Amareo Davion
evileyevirtue
Rivan
Vann Harl
Coyote
Dominar_Mortis
Spartan
Snow
Zealadin
For the Emperor
Praexes
Master curwood
Snowfire
Articus
Klomster
The Legionnaire
NemesisForce
Constantine
Inquisitor Lord
30 posters

:: Community

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT - Page 5 Empty Re: WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT

Post by Amareo Davion Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:20 am

Can we have Public User Groups. Other forums have these as well and If you want to talks about a specific thing you join a User Group that have other people who are interested in that thing.
Amareo Davion
Amareo Davion
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 144
Army : Space Marines
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT - Page 5 Empty Re: WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT

Post by Constantine Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:05 pm

HHHMMMMMM........ scratch
I can't get pics to download to the album from Photobucket. Has anybody got any suggestions?
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amareo Davion Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:19 am

Save the Images into your documents. Then go onto the gallery and select upload image. The go onto upload pic from your computer and then find the picture and its should upload
Amareo Davion
Amareo Davion
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 144
Army : Space Marines
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Praexes Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:18 am

OK, this has been said before in this thread, and I think it needs to be said again:

FEWER SUBFORUMS.

We have waaay to many forums and subforums. The site needs to be condensed down into 3-6 main forum categories with a MAXIMUM of 2-3 subforums in each. The way it is now, we just have a massive labyrinth.
Praexes
Praexes
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 192
Army : Ordo Malleus 1000 pts, Pre Heresy Death Guard and Mechanicum (W/PIP)
Registration date : 2007-10-24

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:17 am

I definately agree, nothing is worse than trying to find the thread with a new post when its in one of the deeper sub forums, take sector command for instance it has a subforum that does nothing and has to be entered to see the list size subforums under it!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:37 am

I agree as well, it would definitely make it easier to navigate. I don't always catch the new threads because I have to look in many different places Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:43 pm

I don't play epic so maybe this is way off base, but I'm a little surprised there isn't a GK epic section on this forum.
Coyote
Coyote
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 316
Location : Secret lair located underneath a volcano on a remote tropical island somewhere in the Pacific
Army : GK/IG
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:39 am

i didn't read through the whole thread so I don't know if this was suggested, but:

Advanced tau tactica has an awesome system for compiling knowledge. It's one of the reasons they are constantly referenced by other sites as one of THE best army specific sites/resources. They have the anybody can post anything sections like us (ok a little more strict) but then they have some locked forums. These are for articles and tacticas. People submit articles with the title Article Submission: Title in a regular forum and then write up a nice little tactic on a way to use a squad, or kit it out, or the math on this equipment versus that, etc. just one little aspect of the game, from wargear to the best unit combinations. This article includes facts, math analysis, or some reasonable background besides pure theory and opinions, as well as some common opinions etc. people review this and suggest changes or debate viewpoints, when it's generally accepted to be as good as it gets, then a moderator copies the ammending article into the locked forum. This means you end up with a locked forum that can only be read, and has no 'junk' posts, just Articles that people can read for good tactics and unit summaries and etc. It's a awesome resource and much easier then searching through a million posts and trying to piece together all the info. Plus, people tend to be more thoughtful and realistic when writing an article verus just talking about "no that sucks" Why? "it just does, it just never does well". you can then go to the article and see oh, well this is what that unit is meant for, heres the math on what it should do, heres why it doesn't do well there.

I suggest spending 20 minutes getting familiar with Advanced tau tacticas forums. you can see how awesome these resources would be

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Very nicely put brother MJS; I second this idea! More specific threads and the like would be awesome. Or even just "Versus" threads. Like tips on crushing particular armies. Versus Daemons for instance, or versus orks. Something that will be an all around helpful guide to what to best equip/use units to have an edge against armies/specific units.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:00 am

I see the advantages of that kind of system but personally hate any kind of forum which uses the mathematical basis for all the theory crafting because you end up with a very elitest and snobish attitude towards anyone with different views (in several past experiences at least). It also is often irrelevant in a game like 40k where everything is situational and realistically 'facts' have to be very closely defined to be accurate (and the closer the definition the more definitions you need to properly cover a subject). Its basically a tool for crafting lists against specific opponents, which to me is just bad sportsmanship when it gets past changing a squad here or an upgrade/weapon there.

Maths and statistics are a part of the game, but so is chance and other variables. There seems to be a growing need to classify what is 'best' and unfortunately what people don't seem to realise is that individual playstyles and skillsets have very different results. It also leads to the HORRIBLE arguement of "yea that guy does well with that BAD list, but imagine with a good list". Every time I hear this I want to just bang my head against a hard object to knock these peoples stupid comments out of my memory. Often these are the same people who can't do half as well as that person with their 'bad list', and yet feel due to a basic understanding of maths that they can make judgement calls. Its worse than pure opinion and theory.

This article includes facts, math analysis, or some reasonable background besides pure theory and opinions, as well as some common opinions etc.

I hate to use an opinion here but mine is that there is no better benefit of this kind of system, its for those into min/maxing (ie winning at all costs). It certainly adds another perspective, but in a game like 40k experience is generally worth more than the use of a calculator because it is more likely to encompass all variables, and the outliers rather than just a vague medium.

I've also never heard of the any references to the forum you mentioned nor have seen anything sourced from there, but I generally play for fun not to win, and if I need to work out those kind of statistics I get out a calculator and do it myself, despite knowing that the figures I get will be effected by far more variables than I can actually take into account.

I'll definately take a look at that forum and I would love to see a bit more structure to our forum with the benefit of that kind of info, but I just don't want to see it take over which it always seems to in the end.

Maybe we could get one of the admin to respond so we can see about cleaning up the forum and some of the unneeded levels/sections and adding some new sections people would like to see?

**Edit: Sorry don't want to seem like I'm jumping down your throat about the system you mentioned, but in the past I've seen alot of bad things come from encouraging it especially among friendly and non totally competitive driven forums and communities, just not trying to seem overly aggressive with my response**
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:18 am

*Nods head* Wow Brother Zealadin, very wise words that truly comes from experience. I never even saw it that way, you've made me see clearer. The last thing I want is this community to become snobbish and elite-sih that it ruins what makes it so great.

Perhaps trying to classify things is irreverent, at least very specific things. I'd still sort of like some kind of thread for specific units, strengths and weaknesses *Say, Brother Captain Stern tactics? Etc.*

Thank you once again for your input Brother Zealadin, it is always very inciteful.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:51 am

I definately think it can be useful, and one of my friends and I always laugh because he concentrates on the maths (his strong point) while I concentrate on models I like the look of (god I love a sweet looking army) but we have been friends for a very long time so its not an issue. Its just hard on forums where often people under an alias feel free to really abuse the privilege of not being accountable for what they say.
I certainly wouldn't complain if we saw some maths and statistics here but I wouldn't want it to become the basis of all arguements.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Indeed, I'm horrid when it comes to math anyway Razz The pretty models and art draw me in. Good points; I'd hate if this place became about arguing like the majority of other forums:P
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Perhaps I didn't phrase what i meant right..... Please take a look over there at advanced tau tactica as i'm apparently not able to describe it correctly.

Basically they don't set down alot of arguements, they basically create guides for how to effectively use units different ways. A great example is markerlights, a very confusing tau weapon. it doesn't cause wounds, but can be used to launch a missle, increase another units BS when firing at the same target, or decrease cover saves. The site does some math to help people discover the mathemtical best combinations of increasing BS vs decrease saves (1 and 1, 2 and 0, etc), situations where using the bs increaser worked well and situations where the missle did, as well as provide tips for what kind of forces they work really well in and situations where they shine/don't shine.

so it's more of a tactica on different situations they might be in, new ways to use them you haven't thought of, the benefits and disadvantages of units, what units that unit works really well with, etc If your looking for something to hit tough units/swarms/vehicles these are what mathmatically works pretty well, and heres some experiences with that.

it also encourages analysis of each unit in the codex in different situations, so it steers AWAY from "this unit is the best, never take that when you could take this". Instead it recognizes while some units usually fare better then others in most situations, there are situations or lists where this unit everyone hates on MAY be really good!

Also i didn't mean purely churn out the math and just say this unit is better. but some people never take units because they are "ineffective" in their minds. A nice little proof that they do cause a comparable number of wounds in certain situations makes people more likely to try it.

Anyways, if your interested in discussing this idea, for better or worse, i suggest checking out the tau site first before coming back with an opinion pro or con, as i'm sure people can take what I'm saying many ways, and i'm not always the most clear person.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowfire Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Ok, so after reading the last two pages (the most recent requests), it basically boils down to this:

1) The number of subforums needs to be decreased dramatically. I'll have a look around the site and make a list of what could be removed with no major damage to the site. I'll post it here so you can all comment on what should stay or go.

2) A Locked Thread or Forum that is dedicated to explaining how different units work in different situations. Solid tactical advice. Not a step by step this-is-how-you-must-play-as-Grey-Knights list, but ideas you can add to your current style of play.
Snowfire
Snowfire
Archivist
Archivist

Number of posts : 530
Army : Tayledras 13th Imperial Guard (Armoured, Mechanised and Airborne)
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowfire Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:13 pm

Ok, so here is my notes for cleaning up the site a bit:

Community: Keep everything, but clean out (delete) some of the old/non-relevant threads 9-12 months or older.

40k General Discussion: Remove the Puritan GK discussion. Move all active/most informative threads from here to the main discussion forum. Clean out (delete) some of the old/non-relevant threads 9-12 months or older.

Sector Command: Remove the Army List sub forum, and the Point List sub forums, move relevent threads to where all other army lists are. Clean out (delete) some of the old/non-relevant threads 9-12 months or older.

Tactica: Remove Combat Patrol sub forum. Shift all relevant threads to one forum. Clean out (delete) some of the old/non-relevant threads 9-12 months or older.

Archives/Black Library: Clean out (delete) some of the old/non-relevant threads 9-12 months or older.

Painting: Clean out (delete) some of the old/non-relevant threads 9-12 months or older.

Chronicles of Grey Knight Forum: Sorry to say this but remove. It was a great idea, but nothing actually eventuated from it. Maybe keep it and use it for the role playing games as well?

Dawn Of War: Clean out (delete) some of the old/non-relevant threads 9-12 months or older.

Trade: Remove. Does this actually get used as all?

Links: Remove sub forum. Clean out (delete) some of the old/non-relevant threads 9-12 months or older.
Snowfire
Snowfire
Archivist
Archivist

Number of posts : 530
Army : Tayledras 13th Imperial Guard (Armoured, Mechanised and Airborne)
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Inquisitor Lord Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:46 pm

i have been having a re plan brothers hence the quite me i read every post on the site and all comments are valid wrong or right thank for the Patience brothers
Inquisitor Lord
Inquisitor Lord
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 454
Army : 1st company pure grey Knights to the bone
Registration date : 2007-10-16

Grey knight
stats:

https://greyknights.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Legionnaire Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:25 pm

Bouncy Castle. End of. Wink
The Legionnaire
The Legionnaire
Head Archivist
Head Archivist

Number of posts : 491
Army : DaemonHunters, Black Templars, Elysian Drop Troops, PH Death Guard (PIP)
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by elugin Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:34 am

Do we have a tutorial on "How to take pictures of your beloved minis"? We should engrave one in the Painting and Modeling section.
elugin
elugin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 368
Army : Gray Knights, Orks, Biel-Tan and the Court of the Young King, plus High Elves for Fantasy fans...
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Legionnaire Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Snowfire wrote:

Archives/Black Library: Clean out (delete) some of the old/non-relevant threads 9-12 months or older.

The Archives will remain as they are, the Black Library however will be 'sorted' as it were. study

As for the posting of pictures one of us will create a tutorial for it, it's a fairly simple system and is pretty easy to grasp Smile. Good catch elugin! cheers
The Legionnaire
The Legionnaire
Head Archivist
Head Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimhack Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:17 pm

I think he wanted more of a tutorial for taking good pictures of your mini's.
Grimhack
Grimhack
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 684
Army : Daemonhunters
Registration date : 2009-11-20

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Legionnaire Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:28 pm

In that case someone who CAN take pictues should deal with it Laughing, but people needed to know how to upload images as well- so that's there now.

Maybe someone else can create a topic on taking the best possible pictures of your minitures, preferably someone who's good at it though Wink
The Legionnaire
The Legionnaire
Head Archivist
Head Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post by GMKDynamis Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:40 am

I agree with the Legionnaire, that desired pictures to be posted should be filtered to see its size and quality and just not cut and pasted because it looks cool. A little time and effort goes a long way, especially to improve our site- appearance wise. Other than that, this site is awesome!
GMKDynamis
GMKDynamis
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 508
Army : Grey knights, Inquisition, Flesh Tearers
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Inquisitor Lord Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Ok regards for the layout brother some players are painters some are gamers some are tactiction so please bare this in mind befor we go changing or choping i layed the forum out so each has a forum and did not have to trug thru alote of things yes i agree a few things need to be changed and made smaller but bare what i have said in mind and lets get some ideas up brothers
Inquisitor Lord
Inquisitor Lord
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Inquisitor Lord Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:14 pm

If any one has any thoughts please post them there is no idea that is a stupid idea so dont be shy Very Happy
Inquisitor Lord
Inquisitor Lord
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next