Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kicking the AV14 butt

+3
Rion
DonFer
Funky-90
7 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

Kicking the AV14 butt Empty Kicking the AV14 butt

Post by Funky-90 Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:46 pm

I was wondering how you guys deal with AV14 vehicles. From my experience in 4th and begin 5th edition I encountered AV14 a lot, and with a lot I mean 1-3 per army. First I thought I could counter this with my psycannons and psybolt ammo, but it is now clear to me that psycannons do not benefit from psybolts. My only tricks left are autocannon dreads wich will have a very very hard time to kill AV14 for their point value, Stormravens with lascannons wich is also very expensive and comes late in the game, and my 3rd and final trick was close combat.
I'm not very keen on close combating every AV14 vehicle out there. This might work once but the next time that cc-unit is getting a full fire barrage on turn 1 to save my opponents mechanical forces.

So how do you guys handle those AV14 vehicles? Allied Detachments or with Grey Knights?

Funky-90
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-08-05

Back to top Go down

Kicking the AV14 butt Empty Re: Kicking the AV14 butt

Post by DonFer Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:06 pm

I'd say inquisitorial warbands are great for this job. Melta Acolytes, Multi-Melta Servitors and Jokaeros have all potential to wreck AV14. Expendable and cheap. Consider also, Dreads with MM and CC weapon.

Other than that GK have very few ways of dealing with AV 14. Personally I didn't worry about it that much. Nowadays I'm playing Tau, and they are my source for anti AV14.
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Vindicare Assassins are good, a bit expensive but cost less then Land Raiders or Stormravens who are also good at popping AV14. And sense I've been hearing vehicles on a decline what we could be looking at as far as vehicles go is either Dedicated Transport spam (average AV10-12), Flyers (average AV11-12), and Land Raider and their equivalents (AV14 all around). However Flyers and Land Raiders can only be taken in few numbers at most 3 in a deployment (more if they take multiple deployments). So here are my preferred options.

Psyflemen Dreadnoughts: Str8 can glance them to death
Psycannon Spam: Also great against hordes, Str7 Rending also glance to death
Razorback with Lascannon/Psycannon: See Psycannon Spam and TL Lascannon
Vinidcare Assassin: Turbo Penitraitor gives you 4d6 Armor Pen and AP1 = dead tank
StormRaven with TL Multi-Melta and TL Lascannon: Pop goes the tank (but as you said expensive and comes in late)
Any character that can taking a Melta Bomb
Hammers (Hammerhand goes off before the Thunderhammer buff so they can hit a vehicle at Str10)

Psycannon Spam and Dreads can also put out enough shots that your likely going to hit a flyer.

So I have to honestly disagree DonFer we have a good number of ways for dealing with AV14 not many but enough.

Another note: If the rumors I've been hearing are true and all but a few vehicles are no longer gonna be meta they only Armies I see taking a lot of AV14 vehicles are Blood Angels who can take Land Raiders as a DT at a discounted price, and Black Templar who can field enough models that the only feasible transport is a Land Raider which they can take the Crusader variant as a DT. I'm not to familiar with the other armies to say what they'll be doing.
Rion
Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 627
Army : Grey Knights, Knights Camlann (Space Marine)
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:20 pm

There are now 4 AV14 fortifications - i'm sure there is a strong AV14 list out there somewhere.

DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Funky-90 Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:51 am

Thanks for the advice, got some ideas wich I'm gonna fieldtest Smile

Funky-90
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Tiberius Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:58 am

i use an inquisitorial warband consisting of 4-5 jokero behind a screen of crusaders. crusaders provide a 3++ save and the jokero can fire their digital weapons as either lascannons or multi-meltas. i also sometimes put a cheap inquisitor in with prescience to boost hits.
Brother Tiberius
Brother Tiberius
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-02-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Funky-90 Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:37 am

hmm that certainly sounds very damaging. Gonna remember that warband of yours for tournaments Razz

Funky-90
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:47 am

I can think of a couple of options for addressing the armour issue you are facing.

1. Allies
2. Those cool new Vengeance weapon batteries, strong points, and redoubts
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:27 am

As mentioned before....

Daemonhammers. Rending Psycannons.
Henchmen w/ lascannons, melta guns etc.
Vindicare Assassins (one vindicare took out 2 land raiders with 2 shots in one of my games)

Plus:

Land Raider Godhammers.
Storm Ravens w/ multi-melta and lascannon

Dreadknights w/ Greatsword. Str 10 now due to FAQs and rules on monstrous creatures! Reroll armour pen!

Dreadnoughts.
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down