Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhinos or Razorbacks?

+5
Vecuu
Sai
first strike
Aubec le noir
jb317
9 posters

:: Tactica

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rhinos or Razorbacks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Rhinos or Razorbacks?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Rivan wrote:IMO, the extra SB and psyammo upgrade is wasted. Like you said, the main purpose is mobility and protection for your squad. If it can kill something w/ its regular SB, then that's a bonus Smile

The extra points can go somewhere else more useful. My two cent...

Quality answer!

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:55 pm

I don't think it's a bad idea to have 2 storm bolters with psybolt ammunition. It gives you just a little bit more shooting to finish off any pesky unit. However, wouldn't that just make them a bigger target? You could consider getting a dozer blade if they are merely going for transport purposes. If you roll double ones I feel bad for you son Razz
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 223
Army : Purifier Variant
Registration date : 2012-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 am

Reviving a bit of an old thread for a somewhat related question.

As per my WIP thread I'm building a "Command" Pattern Razorback. I have a TL Lascannon for it but would like something that can put out more medium strength rounds.

I know HB with psybolt is bog standard, but what about the assault cannon? Yes, it's expensive in comparison to the HB, but it's 1 more shot and rending at higher strength to boot. It also has the same range as what it would be transporting (Purifiers).

More than anything else I'm asking because I love the look of assault cannons. Laughing

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:08 am

I think our HB w/ Psybolt is much better than the average bog standard compared to other codexes! Razz That one more strength makes it all the better! I could go on about how other razorbacks don't compare, but in all honesty it's just so cost efficient. I used to play with assault cannon razorbacks (proxies) and it didn't help when I was being out ranged by Dark Eldar vehicles. I learned my lesson that I needed something more than 24" range on my transports. The Assault cannon does have stronger and more shots and better potential at taking out vehicles. But the Heavy bolter does an amazing job at the point cost. In terms of efficiency, I'd go with the HB everytime.

The Rhino/Razorback is pretty easy to pop so I wouldn't recommend spending the points into it for an assault cannon. A lascannon but its only 1 shot. Everything you would want to shoot at with that heavy strength has some sort of save (also nightfighting too); making the lascannon a one shot wonder. HOWEVER, I think looking into the options we find the: lascannon + TL Plasma Cannon. Now that provides you with long and medium range shooting as well as a 50% of losing the weapon you don't want destroyed. Plus you could save yourself the 5 points for Psybolt since you won't be using it.

TL;DR: I like the look of the assault cannon too but I don't think it's worth it. HB > Assault Cannon in terms of efficiency and range. I'd rather use a PlasLas.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 am

Sorry I take that back. It's not a plasma cannon, it's a plasma gun*
I still think it would be better than an assault cannon. However I'd still use a HB over everything else.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks Volvoe. I think I will go for the HB + psybolt then.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:33 am

Concur w/ volvoe on the assault cannon vs. the HB + psybolts. S6 shots at 36" (effective 42" range w/ 6" move) makes a big difference. And the cost makes it worth it since RB's are quite easy to destroy.

If you're going to spend the points anyway, for the same points as the assault cannon, I would rather have the TWLLC or the Las/Plas, again because of range. Less shots, true but higher STR and AP2 so you have a higher chance to destroy vehicles.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: Tactica

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum