Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Final 500

4 posters

Go down

The Final 500 Empty The Final 500

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:30 pm

So my army is coming together nicely - almost everything is assembled and some are half painted but I need some help finishing the list.

From many battles (though admittedly only against Craftworld and Dark Eldar) I have found the most effective units to be Palladins with Draigo and his big shield to save their asses, Interceptors to get to where the Palladins can't, Psyfile Dreads to splat a vehicle a turn, and DCA to stop the Palladins getting bogged down (currently proxying the DCA/Crusader's).

The core of my army is:

Draigo

10 Palladins 655
3 psyc
1 Incin
1 Falchion
1 Banner
you know the drill.....

10 Interceptors 300
1 Psyc
1 Incin
1 Hammer

2 Contemptor's 270 (proxying because it's a looker and the standard dread really isnt)
TWAC & Psyammo for a change

That leaves me exactly 500pts to get another troops choice.

do I run....

a) Cortaez, Landraider, DCA/Crusader's

b) Cortaez, 2 or 3 Razor's filled with DCA/Crudader's

c) 10 Strikes, Rhino, Cinnie/PT Knight

d) Stormraven, Relic Contemptor, Inq, DCA/Crusader's (I have the SR and the Dread already but am not convinced)

e) None of the above.....

What do I put my money into to complete my 2000pt army? Suggestions welcome

DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The Final 500 Empty Re: The Final 500

Post by Pingpong Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:20 am

a) put a land raider in wi corteaz, landraidres are fun as they cause the enemy to fire too much at them and do very little (unless its the annoying tau broadsides)and when they think it cant get any worse they get assulted Razz

hope this helped Smile
Pingpong
Pingpong
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 115
Army : Space Marines, Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-04-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks Pong

For my latest battle I went for none of the above!

I dropped Draigo's squad down to 5 men and added 2 x melta/DCA units both in Chimera's and gave Cortaez a servitor/jokaero posse. Oh and filled my last heavy slot with a PT/Incinerator Knight.

The game is still to be concluded, it sits on my pool table awaiting my brothers turn 5.

Draigo and his Palladins as well as both Chimera's of melta/DCA are all dead (thats two games in a row now Draigo has died on me) Maybe because my brothers list is an Eldar AP2 fest tailored for Palladin killing.

For future note Draigo does not like ......
Wraithlords (im up against 3 of those toughness 8 assholes)
Pathfinders (love a rending shot - hate an incinerator!)
Shadow Spectres (strength 10 blast markers, oh and the exarch and phoenix lord.... great)
Hornets (for 125 points he can arm each with 4 strength 8 AP2 shots a turn = broken)

We drew 4 objectives. My brother lives in fear of my Palladins so walks his army around together with their destruction highest on his list of priorities. I made a big show of matching his deployment with Draigo's unit and my Dreads following the two Chimera's.

Going second will hopefully pay off for me because I lost both transports to the opening round of fire (I hate dedicated transports) when I eventually got everyone into combat I only managed to hammer one Wraithlord to death. The body of my force was killed - I've lost 7 kill points in the middle of the board. Though live or die that was their purpose - a big scary distraction.

With at least one turn each left to play I have Cortaez and his unit (3 x Servitors with heavy bolters / 1 x Jokaero / 5 Acolytes) sitting on the home objective, the only thing that can reach them are a squadron of 3 jetbikes, though if i take casualties and break we will run off the board.

My Interceptors and Knight came in together on turn 3 and between them managed to wipe out 3 hornets, 6 jetbikes and 5 pathfinders. The Interceptors now control far objective whilst the Knight (which is a scoring unit) is closing in on the middle one - it is protected by the Spectres and Wraithlords though he only has a single Pathfinder that is scoring the point.

My last remaining dread is sitting on the last objective in case i need to contest.

Its 2-1 to me so far - if my Knight can make a big spectical in the middle it will finish as is, another win for the Grey Knights

Wish me luck as I go to ground until the dust settles
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pingpong Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:37 pm

good luck,

hope you beat your bro Very Happy

shame about draigo, I\'ve got him in a 1500 pt paladin army (nasty in combat)
and well, he will be missed...

go claim victory in the name of the emperor!
Pingpong
Pingpong
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 115
Army : Space Marines, Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-04-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanderson Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Draigo has totally earned his cost in points (and model cost- wish it wasn't finecast!) on many occassions for me. In the last game i used him in (vs New Necrons), he ended up in combat with 1 unit of 10 scrab swarm, 1 unit of 10 immortals, a unit of 6 lynchguard and 3 Necron Wraiths.... he held his own for 2 turns, and finished off 2 squads (by winning in combat, and them running off the board, but a kills a kill) he is a great HQ...and always shall be!
Vanderson
Vanderson
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 6
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-04-12

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlord Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm with Brother Pingpong… Coteaz in a LR with DCAs and Crusaders is awesome. I run this setup in my competitive list along with one mystic in the squad (for DS options if I need it).

If those pesky high toughness models are consistently giving Draigo and the Paladins problems then you might want to consider adding a librarian instead to make it a full blown death star. With his HH and MoT stacked on top of Draigo’s and the Paladins HHs the whole squad becomes str 8 (9 for Draigo) plus that extra D6 for pen against vehicles.
Overlord
Overlord
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 120
Army : Grey Knights/Chaos SM/Orks/Tyranids
Registration date : 2011-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 pm

I already run two hammers in a 5 man squad to deal with the big boys.

As for hammerhand I wouldnt know how usefull it is - I play against Eldar and with runes of warding im forced not to rely on my psychic powers - I only use them when I absolutely have to to survive, When you roll 3 dice for a psychic test and suffer perils if you roll over 12 I often find the risks outweigh the benefits.

Instead of stacking hammerhands I did one activation roll for the hammers and got an instakill on one lord though with every hit against instakilling me I didnt have enough bodies to slog it out.

I would love to run a librarian but against eldar there just isnt any point. Im forced to play knights like normal marines! I still winning though

DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down