Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1500 pts - First try at GK

+2
Rivan
Alphadork
6 posters

Go down

1500 pts - First try at GK Empty 1500 pts - First try at GK

Post by Alphadork Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Hey All,

Would appreciate feedback on my first try at a GK list

HQ:
235 - Grandmaster with Psycannon and 3 Servo Skulls

Elites:
215 - 6 Purifiers with 2 Incinerators, 3 Halberds and 1 Daemon Hammer mounted in a Razorback with HBolter, Stormbolter and psybolts

Troops:
305 - 7 GK Terminators with Psycannon, 6 Halberds and 1 Daemon Hammer

240 - 10 GK Strike Squad with 2 Psycannons and Psybolts

Heavy Support:
135 - Dreadnought - "Psifle loadout"

260 - Landraider Crusader with psybolts (GM and Termies riding)

That leaves me 110 pts, with those should I mount the strike squad in a Rhino and maybe buy a few more toys? (like the Brotherhood Banner for the Termies) or should I shave a few points from some units and add another small strike squad?

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

Alphadork
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-27

Back to top Go down

1500 pts - First try at GK Empty Re: 1500 pts - First try at GK

Post by Rivan Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 pm

I like your list. Pretty solid for an all GK list.

Just my observation/recommendation (feel free to disregard)...in my experience, the 45 pts for the GM's psycannon is too expensive--especially since he'll be in the LRC for minimum 2 turns? If you free up the 45pts, you have a total of 155pts with which you can get another psyfleman dread. Alternatively, you can spend 60pts to upgrade your dread to venerable and still have enough points to purchase another RB (any configuration--lascannon, assault cannon, etc) that can help provide more firepower. I've been using a venerable dread in my list and in over 10 games, he's only been destroyed one time. You can even make him scoring and he becomes a really tough unit to sit on a home objective. Just my two cents...
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:24 pm

i agree with brother rivan. especially on the ven dread part. played him once yesterday after i saw his awesoem results with him and oh boy he is one really tough nut to crack
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger10 Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Nice list
Yes a ven dred would be nice!
Tiger10
Tiger10
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 197
Army : Grey Knights, Tiger Warriors Space Marines, 14th Elysian
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:46 am

yes i would give the GKSS a rhino too
and some grenades for to the GM : Rad and psychotrope at minimum.
other than that i find your list pretty solid
btw welcome on this forum
Aubec pirat

Last edited by Aubec le noir on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flaxis Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 am

Brother AlphaDork,

The others here will correct me if I am wrong, but I suggest loosing the psybolt ammo on the LRC as that causes the weapons on it to not be defensive anymore.

I would loose the psycannon on the GM and add some grenades to him. The rad and psychotroke ones are really good, blind is good to.

Best of luck

Brother Flaxis

flaxis
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Alphadork Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:49 am

Many thanks for all the feedback. While I'm primarily a WHFB player I do like to get the odd game of 40K in but I haven't played regularly since the early days of 3rd. My two most used armies were the Orks and the Blood Angels. I tried games with both recently and will probably also be working on my BA's (my goodness is the new Deathcompany Dread a nasty piece or work).

I also wanted to start a new army with a different play-style and despite sometimes being a grumpy old grognard Wink I'm a still sucker for the Space Marines. When I flipped through the GK codex it said mid-range shooting followed by either finishing assault or counter assault to me plus the models look great.

On to the list. Agreed on losing the psycannon from the GM - I admit to being lured in by the thought of BS6 S7 shots.

It hadn't entered my head that a Ven Dread could be made scoring by the GM's grand tactics . . . I think I know what I plan on doing. When I flex out to 2000-2500 he'll be riding in a Stormraven. I think a Dread designed to hold an objective should keep a close combat weapon, or should I stick with the "psifle" loadout?

Thanks again, when I get a chance I'll post the new version of my list.

Alphadork
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:19 am

Alphadork wrote:On to the list. Agreed on losing the psycannon from the GM - I admit to being lured in by the thought of BS6 S7 shots.

It hadn't entered my head that a Ven Dread could be made scoring by the GM's grand tactics . . . I think I know what I plan on doing. When I flex out to 2000-2500 he'll be riding in a Stormraven. I think a Dread designed to hold an objective should keep a close combat weapon, or should I stick with the "psifle" loadout?

Thanks again, when I get a chance I'll post the new version of my list.

You' weren't the only one Brother, my GM used to sport a psycannon too--BS6 was just too tempting w/ a psycannon Razz

For the dread question, IMO, you'll have to go one way or the other. If you want him to sit back on an objective, a ven psyfleman dread works fine. There are times when enemy units will make it to CC with your dread, but this won't happen too often if your other units are close enough to support.

If you want the ven dread to ride in a SR, then I would suggest an assault cannon and nemesis doomfist w/ SB + psybolts. This gives him the equivalent of a psycannon and a S5 stormbolter before he charges in to smash face. Both are very good options--just depends on how you want to run him Smile

Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:33 am

well for once i have to disagree with my brothers : psycannon on your GM is expensive, sure, but you have 110 points left including it ... so why not giving it a try ?? my GM gets one and i never regret using it ! Wink (and i love psycannons !! Twisted Evil )
about the ven dread : it's clearly a matter of choice as Rivan said : with 2 psyfle devices your ven still hit with S6 so he's not totally useless in CC, and with the mixed one, if you want him to stick to the objective, i would use an incinerator rather than a SB + psybolts, i think the dread will be more useful and powerful with that configuration imho.

@ flaxis : i think the psybolts are only for the assault cannon, but it must be precised to the opponent if not it could cause an argument, because really i don't know if you can split that option in 2.

If not, brother Alphadork, i think brother flaxis is right in telling you to drop the psybolts for the LRC

Aubec pirat

Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:56 am

Aubec le noir wrote:@ flaxis : i think the psybolts are only for the assault cannon, but it must be precised to the opponent if not it could cause an argument, because really i don't know if you can split that option in 2.

If not, brother Alphadork, i think brother flaxis is right in telling you to drop the psybolts for the LRC

Aubec pirat

@Aubec: Unfortunately, when you take the psybolt upgrade for the LRC, it also applies to the hurricane bolters, making them S5 and therefore non-defensive weapons as Flaxis said Smile That's why I only get the psybolt upgrade for a LRR because it only applies to the assault cannon.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 am

so drop the psybolts brother ! Razz Razz
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Alphadork Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Again, many thanks for all the help my brethren!

I do like the thought of having a Ven Dread (the loadout Rivan suggested would be my pick) up the field quickly, guess my Blood Angels red is showing through under my new Grey Knight colours . . .

That said here's my latest list plan:

HQ:
215 - Grandmaster with MC Halberd, Blind and Psychotroke grenades; 3 Servo Skulls

Elites:
240 - 6 Purifiers with 2 Incinerators, 3 Halberds and 1 Daemon Hammer mounted in a Razorback with TL-Assault Cannon and psybolts

195 – Venerable Dread – “Psifle”

Troops:
305 - 7 GK Terminators with Psycannon, 6 Halberds and 1 Daemon Hammer

280 - 10 GK Strike Squad with 2 Psycannons and Psybolts mounted in a Rhino

Heavy Support:
255 - Landraider Crusader (GM and Termies riding)

1490 total leaving me 10 pts which I think I'll use to mastercraft weapons in the Purifier and Termie squad.

If I read the Stormraven right, it can carry Terminators? If this is the case I think that a list with a Termie squad and a Ven Dread with AC, Fist and Psybolts riding in one is coming.

Also, what experience has everyone had with Paladins - I love them fluff wise but I'm worried that the extra points paid for 2 wound termies will be a waste given that the weapons that can reliably hurt them will also insta-kill them.

Or am I misjudging their durabality and usefulness - I ask because they'd look nice riding in that Stormraven with the Ven Dread Very Happy

Alphadork
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:06 pm

List looks good--very viable for 1500pts.

Yes, stormraven's can transport 6 terminator sized infantry.

I love paladins and swear by them. Of course we have to be realistic about point costs. I only use paladins with lists of 1750 and higher. In fact, I have a 10-man squad in the 2000pt list I used in the last tournament I went to. They are the core of my 2000pt lists.

IMO, the extra 15points over a GKT is completely worth the +1WS and the 2 wounds. Creative use of wound allocation makes them extremely resilient vs AP3 and weaker wounds. I just do my best to mitigate high str and low AP fire by using LOS, cover or target saturation.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:23 pm

i would use 5 points of your 10 for rad grenades : the -1 to adversary's toughness is just superb.
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down