Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings Battle Brothers

3 posters

Go down

Greetings Battle Brothers Empty Greetings Battle Brothers

Post by Brother Phoenix Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Hail Brothers of the chapters!

I am brother Phoenix. I have just become a fledgling Grey Knight. I have 3 boxes of the just recently OOP models of Grey knights(Which makes them prety much strike squads) I got a Librarian and thats about it. I was wondering what would make my force better? I have been a Warhammer fantasy player so I am used to big block units that cost like 300-400 pts a piece so I know I don't have much in terms of points for gaming. I really like paladins and I really like the inquisitor Lords Coteaz and the one riding the walker whose name eludes me atm. The purifiers are cool too but I have always been a close comabt guy ergo why I like the paladins so much Razz . Just wondering what you guys could do to help me figure out what sort of models I would be aiming for with a close combat army.

I salue you all,

Brother Phoenix
Brother Phoenix
Brother Phoenix
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 9
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-01-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Greetings Battle Brothers Empty Re: Greetings Battle Brothers

Post by Rivan Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Welcome to the forums Brother!

After you go over our codex, you'll notice that many of our units are quite effective in CC. Purifiers are actually one of our good CC units. Death cults are probably the most cost effective CC units we have. The one riding the throne on legs is Inquisitor Karamazov. Peruse the different lists in the 'sector command' thread and you'll get a lot of ideas on different builds.

Enjoy your stay Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Xethik Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Paladins, Purifiers, and Death-Cult (as Rivan said) are all great close-combat units.
Nemesis Dreadknights also fill that role nicely, but I often see them going after tanks (which, due to rules, you may be better off just shooting vehicles to death. Psycannons are very good at that).

A lot of lists are going to have Dreadnoughts referred to as Psyflemen. That means the "Rifleman" setup (Two twin-linked autocannons) with Psy-bolt ammunition, boosting the strength from 7 to 8. These are also effective tank-poppers, especially at long range. People really love these as they are relatively cheap for their power. Problem is, there is no model for the weapons needed on this guy unless you go to Forgeworld, but if you are interested there are several good posts on it somewhere on these forums. Perhaps in the Tips on Building subforum with Painting and Modelling.

You might also want to use converted Death-Cults if you go that route. They are just so expensive for their point cost. Not sure what the best options are, but I'm sure a brother here and pipe in and help out there.

Welcome to the forums, also! Should have been first... probably.
Xethik
Xethik
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 200
Army : Grey Knights, Dark Eldar, Ravenwing and Deathwing
Registration date : 2010-08-10

http://the-grey-knight.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Phoenix Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks guys! I am totally new to 40K and barely know nay of the rules. What would you suggest for handling long range firepower? I know a lot of armies are designed to stand back and shoot you to death and I don't want that happening lol. Should I use a librarian to protect my men? or should I deep strike my men into combat? that said what sort of HQ should I go with? Sorry to bombard you guys with questions just trying to learn is all Very Happy
Brother Phoenix
Brother Phoenix
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Xethik Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am

It's all fine, I had no idea what I was doing at the start! You have to ask questions to learn.

A lot of people like using tanks to keep their guys safe as you advance up. You can't really do this with Terminators/Paladins, though, so you are stuck with either walking (with a Librarian perhaps to give you an increased cover save and thus keeping you alive) or by deep striking.

The problem with deep striking is risk. You have a chance to scatter all kinds of places with that thing, so you could end up somewhere that would cause a Deep Strike mishap (either destroyed, put back in reserves to deep strike again later, or have your opponent place them).

HQs really depend on your play style. I'll leave that up to others to explain and describe, but in this codex they are all pretty good.
Xethik
Xethik
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Phoenix Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:35 am

So I do have a librarian. How is the shunt that strike squads get? is it any good? that is basically what I was thinking of doing was shunting across the field to tie up enemy heavy shooters then advance across the board with terminators paladins and Lord Coteaz with some death cult assassins and maybe some of those other assassins and have then walking with a librarian. Does that sounds like a good idea?
Brother Phoenix
Brother Phoenix
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Xethik Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 am

Your troop choice Strike squads don't get the shunt, but Interceptors do. They are slightly more expensive, count as Jump Infantry (they move 12" instead of 6" and can move over terrain. If they land in difficult terrain, however, they have to take dangerous terrain tests). I know a lot of people love them, but I've actually never used them! So I can't be too helpful there.

I have no clue how to handle Death-Cults. They are pretty squishy so I'm tempted to say you need to keep them in transports, but they can't assault on a turn they disembarked out of a moving transport (unless it is a Land Raider), it's a bit tricky.
Xethik
Xethik
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Phoenix Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Oops Yeah I just saw that. I do like what strike squads can do with the warp quake but I would most definitely want a interceptor squad at least. That shunt sounds too cool. But what do you think of two strike squads and a interceptor squad? will that be a good force? I know I need to get terminators and paladins. I would like to get Coteaz and some death cults and maybe a CC assassin to run around and kill stuff. sounds good? what would you put in it?
Brother Phoenix
Brother Phoenix
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content