Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help needed to design a GK tournament army!

5 posters

Go down

Help needed to design a GK tournament army! Empty Help needed to design a GK tournament army!

Post by Khargor Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:41 pm

Greetings to all!

This is my first post here so I thought it’d be a good idea to ask your esteemed opinions about a real problem I’m facing:

I’m normally a WFB player but, apart from the couple of W40k tournaments I’ve been to, I only play my GK in friendly games against CSM (Khorne berserker type army) and Necrons.

I painted and took a 1,500pt GK list to the Cardiff Carnage tournament 2 years ago and did ok with them (came 16th out of 26 and won most sporting opponent), I then took part in the last GW 40k Doubles but took a slightly different list because of the restrictions, with the main difference being I used a LRC and had mixed results with it.

Next month I’ll be captaining the Northern Wasters team at the WPS Club Challenge and will be playing my GK again and this is caused me the problem - what do I take in my strike force? Do I take the painted army I’ve taken before or do I add some new units from the GK I’ve yet to paint? The scores of each individual player in a team will be added up and then averaged for the teams overall score, so I want to take a competitive army that won’t let the rest of the team down but I really don’t want to get slammed on composition scoring.

Here’s the list that’s painted and has been played before (the dreadnought is the forgeworld GK one with the pyscannon being used as a multi-melta):

HQ
Grand Master
Psycannon
Icon of the Just
Psychic Power: Word of the Emperor 210pts

5x Grey Knight Terminator retinue 230pts

ELITE
1x Brother Captain
5x Grey Knight Terminators + Incinerator upgrade 306pts

TROOPS
1x Justicar
+ Melta Bombs
+ Frag Grenades
+ Teleport Homer
5x Grey Knights 191pts

1x Justicar
5x Grey Knights + Incinerator upgrade 185pts

1x Justicar
5x Grey Knights 175pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dreadnought
+ Multi-Melta upgrade
+ Smoke Launchers 123pts

Orbital Strike: Melta Torpedo 80pts

ARMY TOTAL: 1500PTS

Here’s what I’ve collected for my apocalypse army but it all needs to be painted before I can use it to change my list:
BC + 5 more terms (1 with pyscannon)
5x Justicars and 14 GK
5x GKs with incinerators
4x GKs with psycannons
1x LR Crusader (painted to 3 colour minimum at present)
1x LR (standard)

Can anyone please help me make a competitive list that can go head-to-head against other armies at the club challenge? I can get some of the unpainted stuff done in time as the tournament isn’t for a month and I could really do with advice from other GK players....
Khargor
Khargor
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 38
Army : Grey Knights strike force
Registration date : 2008-04-13

http://forum.northernwasters.com/

Back to top Go down

Help needed to design a GK tournament army! Empty Re: Help needed to design a GK tournament army!

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:10 pm

Ok nice collection you've got - this isn't really a net list but it does work for me.

HQ wise I'd take a BC with psycannon by himself.

Elites would be a BC +4 GKT.

So far that's 340pts

Then you need a solid fire base from your troops:
Justicar +5 with 2 psycannons come to :225

A second troops choice should be manouver unit and a Justicar +7 comes to :225

SO FAR IT's 790ish.

With your heavies it's best to take 2 Raiders if any so 520 (dozerblades and extra armour).

About 190 left to spend on a fast unit of Justicar+4 with incinerators.(Not many people are fans of this type of unit but it does me well)

Hope that helps. 25GK and 2 vehicles.

Back to top Go down

Help needed to design a GK tournament army! Empty Re: Help needed to design a GK tournament army!

Post by Doomaflatchi Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:52 pm

As always, any Grey Knight player looking to make a widely effective tournament fighting force should check out this Tactica:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=101214

Even if you don't agree with his style, it's a very good tactical assessment of the various options available to you.

Good luck in the tournament!
Doomaflatchi
Doomaflatchi
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 33
Army : "Predjudice set to maximum." ~ HK-47
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Khargor Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks for your help guys, it really has helped me - although I doubt that I have the skill level needed for the water warrior tactics! Laughing

I'm still trying to finalise the list but I'm really tempted for the 2 LRs in the army but am worried that a third of my points could go in the first round to 2 lucky shots. I know necrons will have a field day against them but how do you guys find playing 2x LRs against other opponents? (especially a godhammer and a crusader?)
Khargor
Khargor
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 38
Army : Grey Knights strike force
Registration date : 2008-04-13

http://forum.northernwasters.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Well if you take 1 it will get ALL the anti tank fire. If you get 2 they will both get HALF the antitank fire.

So it's all or nothing really. That being said though, crusaders tend to die to power fists/claws/melta -it being a very close support tank. And Godhammers to longer ranged stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by dinodeanpostcat Sun May 11, 2008 9:14 am

Well, I never thought I'd see the day.............

I am in exactly the same position as you, entered for the WPS Challenge, taking my Grey Knights and not wanting to let the rest of my team down.

Taking the greater good of forwarding the standing of Grey Knights, my army list is as follows:

HQ
Grandmaster, Psycannon, Hammerhand (useful for taking on tanks, can glance AV14 with it)

Elite
5 x Terminators, 1 with Psycannon
1 x Inquisitor with Terminator Armour and Psycannon

Troops
1 x Squad of 5 vanilla PAGK
1 x Squad of 7 vanilla PAGK

Fast Attack
1 x squad of 6 PAGK, 1 with Incinerator

Heavy Support
Dreadnought with TLLC, ML, Extra Armour and Smoke
Land Raider with Extra Armour and Smoke

With the odd tageter thrown in for good measure, which I always use to help gauge how far to move in the next round to avoid being assaulted, this comes in at 1500 points.

I would be interested to hear how your force is shaping up and I hope we can meet to swap notes during the tournament. It would be good to meet another Grey Knights player, you would be the first.

Steve Smith

dinodeanpostcat
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sun May 11, 2008 10:04 am

Strange you would field an Inquisitor without any psychic powers, henchmen or assassins. For the same price you could have another GKT with his far better stats.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother-Captain Validi Mon May 12, 2008 7:43 am

The Inquisitor could be there to attract fire away from other stuff, or so he can split Psycannon Fire and shoot at other stuff.
Brother-Captain Validi
Brother-Captain Validi
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 271
Location : Lost in the Warp. Strange, it looks just like Scotland...
Army : Daemonhunters, Space Wolves, 13th Company Space Wolves, Legion of the Damned
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dinodeanpostcat Mon May 12, 2008 12:45 pm

That's exactly why he is there. As an IC he is nearly untargetable, especially with that 36" range Psycannon and I needed another Psycannon in the army. Also allows him to lend his firepower where it is needed, oh, and Terminator armour so he can move and shoot at full range.

dinodeanpostcat
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down