Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on my first 2000 points

4 posters

Go down

Advice on my first 2000 points Empty Advice on my first 2000 points

Post by Jambo Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:04 am

hey brothers looking for any advice and pointers to get my army list to its best. Finally went out and got the rest of my army. I will say i have yet to decide on powers etc.

HQ: Crowe
Librarian

Elite: Paladins (5) halberts 2x psycannons

Troops: Terminators (5) deamon hammer 4x falcians 1x psycannon
Terminators (5) daemon hammer 4x halberts 1x psycannon
Purifiers (5) deamon hammer 4x falcians
Purifiers (5) daemon hammer 4x halberts
Grey Knights (10)

Transport: 2x razorbacks twin linked lascannons

Fast Attack: Stormraven twin multi melta twin lascannons missiles

Heavy: Dreadknight heavy psy, daemon hammer

any advice and pointers will be much appriciated. Im still looking at getting more units ( vindicare assassin, dreadnaughts, draigo, mordrak, land raider etc) but havent decided yet. Thought id post my first 2000+ points see what you all thought
Jambo
Jambo
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 10
Army : Grey knights
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Advice on my first 2000 points Empty Re: Advice on my first 2000 points

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:34 am

Two things that kind of scream at me when I look at this: I know you said you hadn't decided on powers, but the ones I always go with are shrouding, sanctuary, warp rift, and might of titan. You can also considering summoning if you make have a tactic to use with it. The other thing is that I have played enough games with an army that contains both a single stormraven and a single dreadknight, and it just doesn't work. You really need either 2 stormravens and no dreadknights or 2 dreadknights and no stormravens. I would recommend 2 stormravens, as they can both be used to hand deliver the terminators/paladins if you so choose.

There are a couple other things concerning the core of your army: You've got 3 non-purifier troops choices, so Crowe really isn't adding much more than another potential kill point for your opponent to your army. I would remove Crowe, and use the extra points for a rhino and daemon hammer on your GKSS. If you traded the dreadknight for a stormraven and took out Crowe to add a rhino and daemon hammer, you should still have plenty of points to add something else to your army. I don't want to tell you to completely change up your army, but these are just the changes I would make personally.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 619
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:26 am

Falchions on the Purifiers is a) expensive, and b) not really worth it IMO

Purifiers get 2 attacks anyway, plus 1 for charging that's 3 attacks each.

You have a daemonhammer in each squad so 3 of those attacks are at I1...

Now, if you take halberds then 12 of your attacks will be at I6, costing you less points and with greater benefit than 4 extra attacks with falchions.

For example going against Lightning Claw Black Templar Terminators charging you(nastiest enemy I could think of that would present a challenge):

With Falchions:
You successfully cast Hammerhand, since Cleansing Flame is very unlikely to bring a Terminator down, and you want to be wounding on a 3+ (Str 5) and your daemonhammer just obliterating anything.
First of all you face (at I5) 15 lightning claw attacks at Str 5 (Furious Charge and Preferred Enemy in effect). Let's say 7 of these hit and 5 wound. Bye bye Purifier squad.

With Halberds:

You don't cast anything, meaning you wound on a 4+ with halberds.
At I6 you nullify your opponent's Furious Charge and strike out with 8 halberds attacks. 6 of these hit, 4 wound. The Terminators roll for Inv Saves. The 1st terminator fails, allowing the Purifiers to instantly roll to activate nemesis weapons. The other 3 wounds are Instant Death, and therefore The Terminators only have 2 models remaining to strike back with.
They strike at I4 with Str 5 lightning claws, unleashing 8 attacks. 5 hit, 3 wound.
Then your Daemonhammer rolls to hit with 2 attacks. hits once. Rolls to wound. 1 wound. Instant Death as Force Weapons are in effect (no inv save allowed)
The combat is won by the Purifiers! with them in a position to dominate the next round of combat....
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:06 am

Corennus wrote: Instant Death as Force Weapons are in effect (no inv save allowed)

I think I missed this part in the rules, where does it says that Instant Death deosn't allow Inv. saves?
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:11 am

I'm quite certain that invuln saves are allowed against force weapons.

The weapon is a power weapon by default: No armor saves allowed.

Use psychic power to activate force weapon: If the model takes an unsaved wound then it suffers instant death. Instant death's only purpose is for removing all remaining wounds. This is why it's only useful against multi-wound models. Almost nothing in the game negates invuln saves.
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:44 am

apologies if I was wrong.

I believe though the point about halberds over falchions is still valid, due to the squad being able to cast hammerhand instead.
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCrimsonGlass Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:48 am

I do agree that halberds are better than falchions. I guess I should have followed that up in my previous post! If I were taking purifier squads, if the model didn't have a psycannon or hammer, then it would have a halberd (hint: there would only be 1 hammer Razz ).
TheCrimsonGlass
TheCrimsonGlass
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jambo Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:22 am

Thanks brother for the advice.

@BrentK yeah i do agree with you i have been thinking of going with two ravens for the exact reason you said but i hav had 2 wins and a draw with them so i have got quite fond of my dreadknight lol. The powers you mentioned are actually the ones i have been experimenting with at the moment and the work wonders. Crowe will be getting side lined soon because i have noticed i have no need for him.

@Correnus i see what you mean about the falshian and halberts mix. I think i made the mixture to begin with so i could find out what i work well with.

thanks again for the advice will come in very useful
Jambo
Jambo
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 10
Army : Grey knights
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content