Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matt Ward

+24
GMKDynamis
Chaplain Thrace
Corennus
TheCrimsonGlass
Brother Joshua
Zealadin
Shaun
Sai
Grandmaster Markus
Goat Horns
stormknight
DonFer
Dakmor
Brother Blutcher
raven925
Klomster
Ceasarian
Constantine
DarkRonin
fa11en
Souba
Rivan
Grimhack
Nausaden
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Matt Ward - Page 3 Empty Re: Matt Ward

Post by drakeharlem Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:36 am

Klomster wrote:Grey knights would not need to conduct simple blood rituals to protect themselves from a stupid psychic phenomena that the sisters of battle was not affected by since they were more incorruptible than the gk.

Look and that is exactly what that scene is about.

Why make a khornate blood ritual for psychic protection when you already got the best protection you can get? Because Matt Ward made horrible fluff.

Mind wiping was in before and i don't see why it's more definite now than then. (although i have barely even read the new codex out of sheer disgust)

It's also matt ward that in the warhammer deamon army book, wrote that all deamons are friends (not word by word, but the basic feeling, which is very wrong.)

So why the hate? Well the rules might be good (heck, it's the most broken 40k army out there) but almost every fluff aspect is either wrong or tweaked to worse or just plain bad.
A particular hate suspect is Chuck Norris (you know who i mean) sure, a lost gm, cool.

Who does ALL THOSE THINGS? Don't think so.

But that is just my opinion (among many others)
Hate me if you like, but i think you should hate Matt Ward.

All perfectly acceptable reasons to hate him. But from my stand point here's how I look at it. If it weren't for the internet I wouldn't even know who wrote these books. Frankly I never cared in the past and I still don't really care. I read a lot of gaming books and just about all of them are ridiculous and poorly written. I look at it like this, all the fiction in these books is over the top and tends to paint the subjects are superior to every other army, faction, or whatever.

I haven't actually played 40k in over five years, so when I look at the rules I don't have a huge grasp on what is and what isn't broken/overpowered/or whatever your term of choice may be. All I see is the Grey Knights I've loved since 2nd edition with a lot more options and flexibility than they had in the Daemon Hunters codex. Shit I love the Dreadknight (though the name is stupid as hell I will concede that much.) It doesn't seem to have the greatest rules backing it up, but it looks pretty bad ass with a sword and a Gatling psilencer.

I've got better things to do with my life than rage about the writing style of a guy I've never met who wrote books that I wouldn't even know he wrote without seeing people raging about it on the internet.

As for the sacrifice of the sisters, well what else are they good for? Especially if I believe all the internet venom about how terrible the white dwarf codex has made them. I know I'd rather just smear my armor with their blood than have to worry about them getting in the way and dying in droves during the mission.
drakeharlem
drakeharlem
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 52
Army : Grey Knights, Afrokult Orks, Scions of Dinero (Space Marines)
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:16 am

All perfectly acceptable reasons to hate him. But from my stand point here's how I look at it. If it weren't for the internet I wouldn't even know who wrote these books. Frankly I never cared in the past and I still don't really care. I read a lot of gaming books and just about all of them are ridiculous and poorly written. I look at it like this, all the fiction in these books is over the top and tends to paint the subjects are superior to every other army, faction, or whatever.

I haven't actually played 40k in over five years, so when I look at the rules I don't have a huge grasp on what is and what isn't broken/overpowered/or whatever your term of choice may be. All I see is the Grey Knights I've loved since 2nd edition with a lot more options and flexibility than they had in the Daemon Hunters codex. Shit I love the Dreadknight (though the name is stupid as hell I will concede that much.) It doesn't seem to have the greatest rules backing it up, but it looks pretty bad ass with a sword and a Gatling psilencer.

I've got better things to do with my life than rage about the writing style of a guy I've never met who wrote books that I wouldn't even know he wrote without seeing people raging about it on the internet.

As for the sacrifice of the sisters, well what else are they good for? Especially if I believe all the internet venom about how terrible the white dwarf codex has made them. I know I'd rather just smear my armor with their blood than have to worry about them getting in the way and dying in droves during the mission.

the changes in the fluff is it what makes old GK/DH players upset. before grey knights always had been puritans and wouldnt even work with radicals. they had a immense mass of troops that now is around 1/3rd of what it normally was. and would never use chaos ritual to make their job. matt ward turned the fluff of this army upside down. if he would have written tyranids, they would probably work together with another race like necrons or orks and of course oldschool tyranids players would be upset too you know?

there are different reasons to start a army, some are combined choices for a player:
1. you like the models
2. you find the playstile of the army appealing
3. you think the fluff is interessting and like the way they act in the universe of warhammer 40k
4. you are a bandwagon jumper.

like me and others of the old GK players, many on this board btw, selected this army due to reason number 3.. in addition to 1-2. because until the recent codex, GK havent been a bandwagon army nor did they appeared often on the table. you always had a hard time with grey knights before and you really had to love the army in order to work around all the problems this army had. but game mechanics are not the problem here. now what would you say if things that you love about your army suddenly turned upside down or be even more precise - the opposite of what it was before? sure the mechanics stay the same, sort of but all what you loved around your army got killed off by a author who was too lazy to read at least some of the old fluff and made his own fanwank.
they had been the silver bullwarks before, absolute pure entities who withstood every taint of chaos and eradicated everything that even had a slight chance of beeing chaos tainted, they had been split across the galaxy and as such had more masses than a normal astartes chapter, because they had too.
now they are some silver space marines that follow the adeptus astartes, use daemon weapons, make khornate rituals, ally with persons wich they incinerated before, radicals and many more.

the game changes are okay for me, its just the fluff that matt ward used as a sextoy.

for the sisters part... as written in codex grey knights they are uncorruptible. a definite state, why do they have to sacrifice sisters (wich already has once fallen for chaos) and bathe in their blood in order to be able to withstand something that they, the uncorruptible grey knights would have withstood in the first place?
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Zealadin wrote:Matt Ward's contribution to 40k: >>Link<<

Everything in that article is correct, even if it isn't.

As for the reason for hating just matt ward. If the internet was not around, i would have blamed it on just gw, raged over that with my friends, and then perhaps later a more inquisitive friend would havee found out that matt ward did all theese bad things.

And i totally get that you don't want to hate matt ward, and that you don't want to care and just want to play your gk.
Problem is. What has he done to them?

Well, if you don't care about fluff, they are all superspace marines with shiny armour led by chuck norris. In space. That completely annihilates all opposition in terms of gameplay.

If you like fluff.
Look at what he did to the poor gk, just look at them. They are nothing of what they used to be.

Oh good, they got a few new choices, the flaming cult of knights who disbelieve their brethren (it takes a pro to make me hate grey knights who burn) and who are just weird.
And overpowered.
And the paladins, who are what the normal terminators should be, but too good in the game.

Why two kinds of terminator? It's weird.

The reason i started playing gk was simpy the grey knight terminators. The coolest models ever created (overstatement, but you get the idea) then i found out that the army had mysterious fluff full of badass. A secret order of holy killing machines with absolute purity and devotion to the emperor. They had no primarch, they had no primarch imposed rules of a simple codex that limit all space marines in the fluff.
They were very different, and that made them awesome.

Then, new terminators came with a new codex. And while beeing similar to the outside, it's the small things that differe that makes me HATE the new stuff.

And you have played this game for longer than me, or more correctly, you started earlier.
2nd edition grey knights were probably cool too in their fluff. (I'v heard very little.) But that got changed, i thought it a bit strange that they needed such a big defense vs genestealers. Since normal marines are perfectly good vs them (yes the maguses are powerful, but that's why you have librarians.)

That they became a super anti-deamon force seems more legit to me, 40k didn't have that apart from the ordo malleus. Whom as far as i know didn't have anything else than guardsmen, some borrowed marines and badass inquisitors. They needed the GK.

Now gk is changed to a normal space marine army following the codex, they fight in brotherhoods (companies) which simply don't work, since they need to send kill teams to so many places it's not even funny.
The old squad based structure was cool, but replaced by something stupid.

I can rant forever, point is. You might not care, and just want to play the game. Fine.
I'm gonna stick to something that is not destroyed yet.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jerbat123 Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Are we still writing about this tool...........Why?

He's GW favorite flavor of the month/year,if he got hit by a bus.......god forbid,sure I'd shed a "single" tear for the loss of this human.......but not as a writer.

But you know what? I wouldn't lose any sleep over him.

Game on!!
jerbat123
jerbat123
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 120
Army : Grey Knights/Imperial Guard/Necrons/Tau
Registration date : 2011-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by drakeharlem Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:40 pm

I don't disagree with anyone's hatred of the guy. I just find his spin on things entertaining and an interesting twist on the way things were. In my mind it's not that the fluff has been destroyed, it's that recently Grey Knight dogma has gone through some changes and things previously deemed unacceptable have been re-evaluated. Just like when they suddenly became the chamber militant of the Ordo Malleus and played second fiddle to the inquisition in the Daemon Hunters codex. That book was, to be honest about as much as a slap in the face to the previous fluff as this one is the 3rd edition.

I like change in my fantasy worlds.

Gran Master Driago is completely ridiculous. I'm in no way arguing that. I just like a touch of ridiculous. I'm also the kind of guy who goes to see a movie because it looks like it's going to be shitty.

Arguing, however, that I "don't care about fluff and just want to play my game" is flat out wrong though, because as I said, I haven't played the game in about 6 years and I doubt I'll be picking it up again any time soon. I don't have time for things like miniatures gaming anymore. Hell I barely have time to even paint the things anymore. I do care about fluff. The difference is I like to see how it evolves over time, I don't want it to be static. A decade from now someone else will be writing a new codex that will change things even more, and I'll read it and I'll find it just as amusing then as I find this one now.

The way I see it, the problem isn't that they resorted to a blood ritual. It's that they resorted to a blood ritual after being hyped up as being the purest most uncorruptable warriors in the Imperium. So let me ask this, if there were 30 years of fluff backing up them not being completely beyond corruption, would the ritual suddenly be acceptable?

Let me finish by saying, I do agree he's a terrible writer, a fanboy, a complete tool (shit look at his photo he even looks like a tool) and an idiot. I just don't hate idiots. I feel sorry for them and for the world because sadly they make up the majority of the population.

I've read the majority of the Warmachine and Hordes books, the Malifaux books, and those from plenty of other games, and honestly I think the staff writers for those companies are terrible writers and fanboys high on their own games hype as well.
drakeharlem
drakeharlem
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:44 pm

for your question:
"So let me ask this, if there were 30 years of fluff backing up them not being completely beyond corruption, would the ritual suddenly be acceptable?"

yes i would accept the ritual then, if a person/army has to rely on some sorts of ritual in order to overcome a situation it is fine in my eyes. if a person/army kills off less purer individuals in order to just play a "derp" move, then yes i would find it akward.
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:34 am

At least we agree that Matt Ward is an sad idiot that we feel sorry for that he sucks so bad.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jerbat123 Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:34 pm

"You can't fix stupid" 'Ron White comedian'

Still no sleep lost......... Razz

Game on!!
jerbat123
jerbat123
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by kanebbcksc Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:09 am

@drakeharlem
So, why are you lurking in forums based on GW products and wargaming if you don't have the time? I'm baffled... I am 34, active duty in the US Army, deployed and TDY constantly, married with 2 children, have 2 dogs, and still find the time to invest in my hobby. Arguing against fluff and rules doesn't do anyone any good... We play the game and collect the miniatures for different reasons, but am constantly confused by the naysayers that say they don't play but feel the need to interject their opinions when it doesn't even matter to them. Codex-creep has been an issue since I started playing the game back in '91. I am sure there were issues before then... Nature of the beast as far as I am concerned. I play Grey Knights, Dark Angels, Tau, and Ogre Kingdoms... Aside from the updated GK codex, I could do a lot of complaining about my armies, but I don't because I understand how the game the works. There is always gonna be armies that others consider broken, and there will always be armies that (due to current rules and codeci, will more powerful than others). Hell, my friends used to love playing against my GK, now they cry wolf and complain about my GK being broken! It's all pretty silly if you ask me...

kanebbcksc
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by drakeharlem Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:45 am

kanebbcksc wrote:@drakeharlem
So, why are you lurking in forums based on GW products and wargaming if you don't have the time? I'm baffled... I am 34, active duty in the US Army, deployed and TDY constantly, married with 2 children, have 2 dogs, and still find the time to invest in my hobby.

I'm here to have discussions. The fact that I don't play has nothing to do with my opinions regarding the nature of a codexes fluff, and the competency of it's writer. Are you seriously suggesting that I shouldn't engage in discussions with other gamers just because I don't play the game? That's more than a little ridiculous don't you think? I still read the codexes. I still more or less know the rules of the game. I'm more than capable of engaging in discussions about the game itself, answering rules questions, and offering my opinions of army lists.

And since we're comparing lives and how much free time we have, I'm 29, married with two kids, I run two of my own businesses, and I tutor students with special needs. You'll have to excuse me if I haven't had time to push little plastic men around on a table in a while, but still engage the community in discussion on some forums from time to time. I didn't realize there was a minimum number of games played recently requirement to discuss whether or not you like the direction a writer took the new codex in.

In other words, I don't tell you how to spend your leisure time, so don't get up in my business for how I choose to spend mine.
drakeharlem
drakeharlem
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jerbat123 Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:01 pm

jerbat123 wrote:Are we still writing about this tool...........Why?

He's GW favorite flavor of the month/year,if he got hit by a bus.......god forbid,sure I'd shed a "single" tear for the loss of this human.......but not as a writer.

But you know what? I wouldn't lose any sleep over him.

Game on!!

You both have very good points and VERY ADMIRABLE TRAITS,but were still arguing about a GW/writer-hack of a TOOL!!

Still.............no loss of sleep!

Game on!!

"Can't we all just get along" 'Rodney King,after the LA riots'
jerbat123
jerbat123
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:55 pm

It's all Matt Ward's fault... lol!
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:25 pm

I haven't played 40k in over a year.

Am i not qualified to post either? Razz

DonFer wrote:It's all Matt Ward's fault... lol!

I agree, it's all Matt Ward's fault, that two busy fathers can't see past their miniscule differences and get along without bickering about something most probably caused by them beeing a bit tired of cleaning up after their crazy kids.

Have an imaginary sandwitch each, it helps put the bloodsugar up.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Interesting how my little topic here has...evolved. Anyway, I sometimes feel I can't do much but try to defend Matt Ward. There is just so much hate for him; and I personally really really like the new GK codex...sure there's a few minor details I don't agree with. As far as game balance goes, I'd just ask "where was the balance before?" Plus, being jaded with a 3rd edition for so long and now being what most would consider "top dog" helps.

Anywho. I find some of the more aggressive discussions between members interesting. When we were an even smaller forum, we had pretty much no venom filled arguments. But hey, intresting's interesting. I am just happy to be back and to see people's opinions and ideas on the subject of a lore and game I love very much.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jerbat123 Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:11 pm

DonFer wrote:It's all Matt Ward's fault... lol!

Laughing I kid with all fun and jest jocolor

Laughing Razz Don't drink the kool aid and feel sorry for him Nausaden,you just had to poke that sleeping bear and say something about Matt,you couldn't have pick another subject........say World Peace or Economics or Presidential Candidates........but Noooooo!

You had to start a thread about Matt Ward and his codices or lack their of Laughing Laughing

It's all Nausaden fault lol!

Man now I have to find some NyQuil

Still.....no loss of sleep Laughing Razz

Game On!!
jerbat123
jerbat123
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:05 am

Klomster wrote:I haven't played 40k in over a year.

I must beg for forgivness, i have given you false information.

I played with my grey knights over a year ago, i've played with my self-designed mechanicus codex only a few months ago.
Too bad the guy thought my list was broken, he didn't really like the robots Sad
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:15 am

Fan made codexes are very rarely accepted or popular!
Better to build off an existing codex. That way the only problem is using different models, not an entire ruleset.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:47 am

Klomster wrote:
I played with my grey knights over a year ago, i've played with my self-designed mechanicus codex only a few months ago.
Too bad the guy thought my list was broken, he didn't really like the robots Sad

Was it something like this? Laughing Razz Very Happy :

"Hi, I've gt my Mechanicus Codex here, wanna play? Ok (unpacks 4 titans) these are my dedicated transports, and these guys (unpacks 1000 SM) go inside. I've got 20 Techmarines as scouts so all of my difficult terrain gives a 2+ cover save. Oh and my HQ repairs all vehicles on a roll of a 1+ (re-roll failed checks).... Hey where are you going.... hello??"
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jerbat123 Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 am

lol!

Twisted Evil Now I can say,I have finally tabled you! Twisted Evil
jerbat123
jerbat123
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:31 am

No, it was more like.

-"Hey wanna play."

-"Yeah sure. I'll use my orks."

-"Ok, cool." *Unpacks about 20 space marine scout equals, 5 jump infantry and no vehicles. Some small groups of specialists. And 6 robots with some crazy HQ's 2000pts*

Battle begins, my normal infentry gets slaughtered by orks, my HQ's prove they are VERY hard and my robots don't die, toughness 6 two wounds 2+/5+ save does that.

-"Those robots are immortal."

-"No they are not, they are actually rather bad since they cost almost 100pts each."

-"They are broken."

-"You haven't even shot at them?"

-"My meganobs didn't kill them in close combat."

-"No, since my robots have more initiative. And DCCW's"

-"And the magos is like a primarch."

-"WUT? No, primarchs are harder, he's just T 5. And he is an archmagos veneratus, very rare."

-"Nah, he's primarch level."

I think he won, or i won on kill-points, it was actually rather balanced match.
My major wtf moment was when he suggested that the robots should be armour 11 vehicles.

Which would make them ALOT more dangrous. Also halving their points.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum