Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BC Stern

+9
Souba
Brother Ezekiel
Zealadin
Titus
Aubec le noir
DonFer
DarkRonin
andrew frost
rogueuk
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BC Stern Empty BC Stern

Post by rogueuk Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:49 pm

hi i just bought a BC stern and was wondering wot hes like in game he has some cool powers plus reroll (which i have read in that thread) and a force weapon that master crafted
is he best used in 2k battles with him and a GM
are is it better to use stern than a GM which saves some points
also does the deamonic nemisis rule still apply with the new rules
plus any other goodsuses

(sorry if this has allready been talked about but i cant remember or find anything like this)
rogueuk
rogueuk
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 361
Army : tau, chaos marines, daemon hunters
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

BC Stern Empty Re: BC Stern

Post by andrew frost Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:12 pm

I have always found the Grand Master to be a better choice then Stern, if you have the points. Sterns biggest let down is the 5+ inv save.
I have used Stern and a Grand master in the same force and have found it to be a big point sink, and you can spend points better elsewere.
The Brother Captin (the other H.Q choice) is quite cost effective for smaller games, just dont expect great thing form him.

andrew frost
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 27
Army : Grey Knights, Deamons, Eldar, Tau
Registration date : 2010-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:20 pm

I've used stern a few times and found that he is most useful when played with a retinue to give him some added protection. His base stats is a turn-off compared to a GM which at base is more of a beast then Stern. The few parts about him that really add to his appeal is the use of a force weapon, knowing two powers, and his special rule (Re-roll any kind of roll once per phase but your opponent gets to choose where to roll his own re-rolls for each one stern does).

He gets to give out a total of 3 re-rolls a turn at most, which only involve him, no one else. His Nemesis Force Weapon isn't Master-crafted, it seems like it with his rule, but once you re-roll during that phase, you can't re-roll that failed save or wound.

Stern is definitely a found guy to have on the table, and worked out pretty well for me. If I had more points to spend, I would take both a GM and Stern with a Retinue and just go about my merry business of cutting down foul heretics.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:03 pm

I consider BC Stern to be one of the worst characters there is for us GK players, too expensive and nothing special. Better stick to the GM or BC, both with an excellent cost/effectivity ratio. Let's hope the next incarnation will give him the credit he deserves.
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:05 am

well i disagree with brother DonFer on that matter.
in small points armies BC Stern is a good alternative to a GM (to save points) and has useful special abilities (re-roll and MC NFW with the power of a GKGM one !) and of course his 2 PV (for the moment he's the only GKBC to have 2 PV ! Wink )
he possess hammerfist,
and finally he doesn't count in the 0-1 limitation of GK heroes !
that's not bad for our special characters and for a BC.

But (there's always a "but" Razz Razz ) you'll have to use him with a retinue, but that's something i advice for the GM too ! Wink

Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:54 am

True indeed my brother! But comparing him to any other hero/MC of other armies Stern is not that good a choice.

I agree however that on small games he can shine, but I consider that in the average 1500 pts game it's better to take a BC or maybe a GM, give him a Psycannon and retinue. Much better considering we cannot allow us to over expend much needed points in units. We are few we need all the help we can get! Wink
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:06 am

DonFer wrote:True indeed my brother! But comparing him to any other hero/MC of other armies Stern is not that good a choice.

I agree however that on small games he can shine, but I consider that in the average 1500 pts game it's better to take a BC or maybe a GM, give him a Psycannon and retinue. Much better considering we cannot allow us to over expend much needed points in units. We are few we need all the help we can get! Wink

I agree that Stern is not that good (too expensive) compared to other SM heroes ... but for the moment it's the only choice we've got..... tongue
and i agree too for the 1500 army : i take a GKGM with retinue and psycannon, even if he's expensive, he's worth his points, but for 1000 points ... the question and it's answer are not so obvious.

Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Titus Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:07 am

I never take a GM unless its over the 1500 points we play 1750 and 1850 and i do for those points. For 1500 and below i Always take a BC with a psycannon as standard, always with a retinue and usually the retinue has a psycannon or incinerator.
Titus
Titus
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 298
Army : Grey Knights, Legion of the Damned, White Scars, Space Wolves, Fallen Dark Angels, 1000 Sons of Prospero(pre-heresy)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by rogueuk Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:06 pm

ok so hes good if you have the points other wise stick with a GM or BC

rogueuk
rogueuk
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 361
Army : tau, chaos marines, daemon hunters
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:30 pm

He has his advantages. Even a GM compared to other characters/heroes is just bad these days.

He has a second wound, I5 (one of the huge benefits to a GM since he hits before SM) doesn't count towards the 0-1 GK HQ choice, has two powers standard, can have a retinue and has his little dice roll thing.

I'm not sure why his 5+ would be a let down... its the same with all of the GKT, and he can reroll his.

A BC with Psycannon IS just hard to beat for value however.... (and our codex suffers on value)
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by andrew frost Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:58 pm

A 5+ save is a bit of a let down because just about everybody who runs a Grandmaster will give him an icon of the just to protect him (4+ inv)
In the game today a 5+ inv save on a character with more than one wound is low.
I know that Brother Captin Stern is not a Grand Master but he would still benefit from a 4+ inv save.
I agree with every body else that any Grey Knight character be they a Grand Master or Brother captin need to have a retinue.

andrew frost
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 27
Army : Grey Knights, Deamons, Eldar, Tau
Registration date : 2010-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:42 am

there's a solution to his 5+ inv
put him with a retinue equipped with SS+TH then you'll have the majority 4+ inv for him too. Wink
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Titus Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:49 am

Aubec, that doesnt quite work with 5th ed wound allocation. scratch
Titus
Titus
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 298
Army : Grey Knights, Legion of the Damned, White Scars, Space Wolves, Fallen Dark Angels, 1000 Sons of Prospero(pre-heresy)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:06 am

well ... it seems you're right brother Titus... a pity Neutral
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Ezekiel Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 am

And you complain that your chars have 5+ Invu save?So does the Chaos Space Marine Lord,Daemon Prince and Sorcerer unless they are Tzeechian,which is really of only benefit with the Sorcerer and is one of the most expensive Marks(40 for Prince,35 for Lord and 30 fpr Sorcerer)
Brother Ezekiel
Brother Ezekiel
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 691
Location : Segmentum Obscurus,Battle Barge Immolative Onslaught
Army : White Raven Space Marines 5th Company and the new Bloodoathed Chaos Space Marines,also Empire General Rainer 'Cursebreaker' 'Dwarf-helper' Raukovs independent 18th army of Nuln
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:13 pm

well well the dex is just old- thinking about other dex'es especially space marines most HQ and characters got an iron halo (4+ inv) for free while other, especially older dex armies got to pay some higher prices. there are always things that will bug us i guess...

for me it bugs me that my hive tyrand has to pay 60 points for wings and a deamon prince gets his for 20 but well thats just the way it is.. let us all hope for better times with a new codex and shiny new characters that sound overpowered on the first sight like mephiston etc.

of course i hope for one new dex for you too brother ezekiel Very Happy
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Ezekiel Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:32 pm

Yeah well I had two small games today testing a Tzeenchian and Nurgle Lord and they both did abismally,the Nurgle Lord didn't kill anyone and his weapon rebelled and took off his last wound,with me rolling a 4 for his Invu.The Tzeechian fared litle better,killing 1,I say again 1 measely Ork Boy,before having his weapon rebel on him the next turn and then being crushed by a Power Klaw by failing 2 out his 3 4+ Invus.Also the Berzerkers that were with him failed also,by not actually managing to kill more than 7 Ork Boys in assault.(8 berzerkers,not including the Champ with a Fist)
Brother Ezekiel
Brother Ezekiel
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 691
Location : Segmentum Obscurus,Battle Barge Immolative Onslaught
Army : White Raven Space Marines 5th Company and the new Bloodoathed Chaos Space Marines,also Empire General Rainer 'Cursebreaker' 'Dwarf-helper' Raukovs independent 18th army of Nuln
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Souba wrote:well well the dex is just old- thinking about other dex'es especially space marines most HQ and characters got an iron halo (4+ inv) for free while other, especially older dex armies got to pay some higher prices. there are always things that will bug us i guess...

for me it bugs me that my hive tyrand has to pay 60 points for wings and a deamon prince gets his for 20 but well thats just the way it is.. let us all hope for better times with a new codex and shiny new characters that sound overpowered on the first sight like mephiston etc.

of course i hope for one new dex for you too brother ezekiel Very Happy
True vanilla characters get a free iron halo, but we at least get free termie armour and the equivalent of a relic blade so it isn't all bad.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:54 pm

A lot of people don't like paintball because it hurts like hell if you get hit. I tend to point out that if you're good at the game and don't get hit it isn't a problem.

Just because you're wearing a bulletproof vest doesn't mean you stand in front of a man with a machine gun. In the words of Harry from Dumb and Dumber, 'what if they shot me in the face?'

I figure the same logic applies: If you're relying on even a 4+ invulnerable save it's entirely possible you're gambling when it's not called for.

Then again, I have been playing a calculating sneaky backstabbing Alpha Legion Lord til now, not one of those heroic types. I6 and an insta-death daemonweapon are all well and good, but he's still squishier than most of the gribblies out there.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Yea, plus with a retinue he isn't targetable if I read the rules right, which is a HUGE boon. And why use him without one!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:35 am

Zealadin wrote:Yea, plus with a retinue he isn't targetable if I read the rules right, which is a HUGE boon. And why use him without one!
You're right he isn't targetable in a retinue 3rd edition cheese FTW. It's always great when your opponent doesn't know that. You forceweapon their Eternal Warrior HQ to death and then they try to retaliate and can't hit your GM Very Happy

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:41 am

Actually the retinue rule was carried over into 5th ed (under the Independent Character rules) Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:43 am

Rivan wrote:Actually the retinue rule was carried over into 5th ed (under the Independent Character rules) Very Happy
True, but I don't think any of the 5th edition armies still have retinues do they?

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:47 am

Nope, not that I know of. Unless...not sure how command squads work scratch Can a SM Captain who has a command squad leave his command squad at any time? If he can't, doesn't that make them his retinue scratch
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:54 am

Rivan wrote:Nope, not that I know of. Unless...not sure how command squads work scratch Can a SM Captain who has a command squad leave his command squad at any time? If he can't, doesn't that make them his retinue scratch
Nope they're not a retinue, the FAQ errate changed the SM codex so command squads are just extra units that don't take up a FOC slot, hell the IC doesn't actually have to be attached to them lol I think the retinue bit under the IC rules is for old armies who still have them. I expect GW will continue to phase them out when they replace army books - hence I still think of ours as cheese caused by us being 3rd edition still.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content