Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sterns Strands of Fate?

+6
Grey Therion
bigbri
Zealadin
fa11en
Titus
madbakery
10 posters

Go down

Sterns Strands of Fate? Empty Sterns Strands of Fate?

Post by madbakery Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:14 am

How does Captain sterns ability "Strands of fate" actually work?

Does your opponent have to use the re rolls in their next turn or your current turn? also how many time can you actually use this ability?
madbakery
madbakery
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 200
Army : Knights, Orks, Blood Angels
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Grey knight
stats:

http://monkeychow_forthemonkeys@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Sterns Strands of Fate? Empty Re: Sterns Strands of Fate?

Post by Titus Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:40 am

Stern can re-roll once per phase(movement, shooting, assault, etc). His opponent may rerool any rolls once per time stern rolls. Any rerolls gained by opponent not used by the end of the PLAYER TURN is lost. So your opponent loses the re-rolls if not used by the end of Sterns turn. Your opponent doesnt have to use the rerolls at all.
Titus
Titus
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 298
Army : Grey Knights, Legion of the Damned, White Scars, Space Wolves, Fallen Dark Angels, 1000 Sons of Prospero(pre-heresy)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by madbakery Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:46 am

Cool thanks Very Happy

You wrote rerool, lol Laughing
madbakery
madbakery
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 200
Army : Knights, Orks, Blood Angels
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Grey knight
stats:

http://monkeychow_forthemonkeys@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fa11en Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:46 am

Equally you can use Stern's re-rolls in the opponent's player turn phases as well. Handy for absorbing the occaisional shot on Stern. Likewise the opponent would have to use thier accumulated re-rolls by the end of their turn.
fa11en
fa11en
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 140
Army : Grey Knights, Daemons, Deathwing & Flesh Tearers
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:29 am

Can it be used for stealing initiative?
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:20 am

Zealadin wrote:Can it be used for stealing initiative?
No, he gets one reroll per phase and stealing initiative happens before first turn so there are no phases.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:41 am

Unfortunate really.
Still quite cool however!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Therion Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:59 am

Question that came up in my game today:

0. Stern has a retinue of 5 Terminators with him.
1. The squad takes 2 wounds.
2. Two wounds are allocated on two identical Terminators and rolled together.
3. Double 1's, bother terminators die.
4. Stern re-rolls, both live.

Was that legal?

I know most people agree that for the sake of keeping everyone sanity when dealing with the rules Stern can re-roll only things that somehow concern him. His retinue got shot, which I would imagine does concern him, but at the same time he himself is not personally making either of the saves, so I can see it being argued both ways!

Any thoughts?
Grey Therion
Grey Therion
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Ezekiel Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:05 am

But doesn't he only get one reroll per phase?If so,he couldn't possibly save them both even if you can use those rerolls on those saves.
Brother Ezekiel
Brother Ezekiel
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 691
Location : Segmentum Obscurus,Battle Barge Immolative Onslaught
Army : White Raven Space Marines 5th Company and the new Bloodoathed Chaos Space Marines,also Empire General Rainer 'Cursebreaker' 'Dwarf-helper' Raukovs independent 18th army of Nuln
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Titus Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:49 am

Brother Ezekiel wrote:But doesn't he only get one reroll per phase?If so,he couldn't possibly save them both even if you can use those rerolls on those saves.

The rules for 'The Strands of Fate' say that Stern may reroll one dice roll per phase. So the number of dice involved in the one reroll doesnt matter.
Titus
Titus
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 298
Army : Grey Knights, Legion of the Damned, White Scars, Space Wolves, Fallen Dark Angels, 1000 Sons of Prospero(pre-heresy)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:16 am

The first Point of the rule is that it mentions "stern gets a reroll" meaning it has be one of "his dice". (a wound allocated to him, one of his attacks, his deep strike, etc. Only rolls given to the player can be used anywhere.

However, even if you had two wounds on stern you were saving, wounds and hitting and saving and all that stuff consider each die a "Separate dice roll", the rulebook says you may roll these together for convenience.

The way you are arguing it, someone could just save a bunch of unrelated die rolls, roll them together, and as long as they were all physically rolled at once, they could reroll them all.

Where the "Dice roll" would affect more than one die is for thinks like scatter and leadership and etc - then all dice must be rerolled, as they are all part of "one roll"

It is VERY poor wording and welcome to playing one of the oldest of GW's codexs! lol

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Therion Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:12 am

Aha, I am beginning to see the light! So in my example, what I could have done is allocate one wound to Stern, on which he can get a re-roll (for the very heavy price of allowing the opponent a re-roll which has messed me up in one game already), and then the other wound would have gone a retinue terminator, and he would not have gotten a re-roll.

Thank you guys! Being able talk to someone about this insane codex really helps!
Grey Therion
Grey Therion
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Yup, and we'll be here to puzzle out the new codex when it comes out as well Smile

On a note, I find myself using BC Sterns rerolls best in my assault phase, as I can just choose to do BC sterns combat last, in which case the opponent doesn't have much left to roll.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Stern is better initiative than normal GKT's, so thats still a bit of a tradeoff.
Rolling two dice is a no-no though.
I still wouldn't limit it to just Stern unless a FAQ says so though, I mean alot of other similar powers work for the entire army because the individual is capable of pulling people from the line of fire, or warning them of incoming danger.
Easier to just play it as Sterns dice only though if arguement is created.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:45 pm

BC stern has a long list of reasons why he's a great option, including he's a second GK hero, he's a cheap multiwound force weapon guy with two psychic powers and other bonuses, etc. Strands of fate is just another bonus that is sometimes useful, sometimes isn't.

Zealadin wrote: I still wouldn't limit it to just Stern unless a FAQ says so though.

Mastercrafting says "you may reroll one failed roll to hit per turn." Strands of fate says "Brother captain Stern may reroll once dice roll per phase". So unless you either play that Master crafting any one weapon allows ANYONE ELSE in the army to use the reroll, or can think of a reason why "Brother Captain Stern" would refer to anyone but 'you' would still only refer to that one model, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Zealadin wrote:I mean alot of other similar powers work for the entire army because the individual is capable of pulling people from the line of fire, or warning them of incoming danger.

Perhaps thats because those powers SAY they can work for other people while BC stern says "BC Stern" gets a reroll? Just a thought Razz

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:18 pm

You obviously take greater pleasure in just disagreeing with everything I say, and I'm really not in the mood.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:19 pm

So far, every venue I've played in, including 2 GT's, Stern's re-roll only worked for him and no one else.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:02 am

Zealadin wrote:You obviously take greater pleasure in just disagreeing with everything I say, and I'm really not in the mood.
Rivan wrote:So far, every venue I've played in, including 2 GT's, Stern's re-roll only worked for him and no one else.

Its not that i just want to disagree with you, it's that this is how it's played in most places, and what is (IMO) the most logical deduction of the rules. I don't just respond to rules issues with what I think, and i rarely look to the left for names (I'm actually really bad at that, I was responding to my brothers thread for a while and without realizing it was him until he brought it up in person). Instead I actually go back an reread the applicable rules, look at a few FAQ's/Online Threads/Tournament Rules, etc. and make sure i'm fully informed before i decide what I think and post it. I just want to make sure the other GK players aren't getting information that will land them on the 'losing' side of a rules debate when they go play - casually or in a tournament - so they aren't cheating other players, or being cheated, and won't be surprised if they play somewhere besides locally.

Debate is what helps settle how these issues are played, and the side that can present a stronger case generally wins out. I don't begrudge others a different opinion, but i believe opposing opinions should be brought up and debated so all the revelant points/arguments can be brought up and they can be hashed out and a consensus can be reached. I think thats a reasonable way to do things.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by GMKDynamis Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 pm

From what was posted in the other discussionsabout the new codex, BC Stern is like a GM with boosted WS and Initiative and Invuln save. Some other site said he rivals or equals Mephiston's stats. Isn't it by having MC weapons reroll, the roll is for the bearer of the MC weapon and just not anyone else? Unless I misread the post Brothers.
GMKDynamis
GMKDynamis
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 508
Army : Grey knights, Inquisition, Flesh Tearers
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:09 am

New codex isn't out yet, so those stay firmly in the rumors thread. We were actually discussing him of how he currently is.

And yes, mastercrafting is only the bearer. Thats part of the point of that post.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down