Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep strike, Gate, and more tricks for fast travel

5 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

Deep strike, Gate, and more tricks for fast travel Empty Deep strike, Gate, and more tricks for fast travel

Post by elugin Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Long time I don't write in the Tactica section.
The idea is to recap all the options we have for fast traveling GK style (that is, using teleport variants), and I need your help to make it as clear as possible (since my knowledge on the matter is not).

So, the options we have are: deep strike, gate of infinity, rites of teleportation, and a bunch of reduce scatter/precision landing tools.
I'm thinking as almost pure GK (at most Ordo Malleus inquisition to help), so you are free to add any support we can get from other allied.

Let's begin with Deep Strike (DS). The basic idea is that you DS units kept in reserve (actually, deep strike reserve, DSR from now on, to be declared at the beginning of battle). How can you have DS without reserve? I can think only of a gating unit that mishaps. Other options? Besides that, things are simple, with basic DS, you test for scatter, in case you check on mishap table, if you survive you have a sitting duck unit that can only shoot until the next turn (but it can also have many pros).

Rites of Teleportation (RoT). We can DS at turn one. DS unit can shoot and run (in any order) when they arrive. They cannot charge, but at least they can run for some cover. Works only for DSR.

Teleport homer. Why does it work only for termies and teleporter? It does not make much sense (except for fluff), but let's leave with it. We can literally spam homers, giving one to each justicar. Perfetct DS within 6". Works for DSR.

Locator beam. Same as teleport home, but works for everyone, you simply need to have a stormraven at the right place. Works for DS.

Inquisitor's servo skulls. Reduces scatter to 1d6". You place them before battle out of enemy deployment zone. They self destruct if enemies come within 6". Works for DS.

Mystic henchman. Same as Locator beam. Works for DS.

Gate of infinity (GoI). Remove the unit from board and place it anywhere using rules for DS.

Now, as long as I use only DSR, I think I have things under control.

But how does exactly works GoI? Can I improve it with some of the tools to increase landing precision? Even better, can I run and shoot using RoT? I have found tons of pages on this specific topic, do you know if there is any "official" position by GW?
Here are some quotes.

1. GOI rules: Unless the target is Zooming or Swooping, remove the target and his unit from the board. It then immediately arrives anywhere on the board using the rules for Deep Strike.
  2. DS rules (from rulebook): In order for a unit to be able to Deep Strike, all models in the unit must have the Deep Strike special rule and the unit must start the game in Reserve. When placing the unit in Reserve, you must tell your opponent that it will be arriving by Deep Strike (sometimes called Deep Strike Reserve).
  3. A guy from another forum (I don't cite him since he does not give reference of the FAQ): Old FAQ stated this explicitly: Moving on the table using rules for Deep Strike IS NOT Deep Strike, so many things (like Teleport Homers) do not work.

Some say that, for point DS and DSR are synonyms. That GoI is DS, therefore any sort of help (RoT, homer, beacons and so on) works with GoT.
Some say that DS and DSR are not synonyms (DSR is the special case of DS from Reserve), so you can use GoI only with beacons, skulls, and mystics)
Some say, from point 3, that GoI doesn't work with anything else.
And finally, can we attack after GoI? I thought it was not possible, but in my last game my opponent told my I could (so this is how it works, at least in the store where I play), and it could make sense following point 3.

As I said, I am trying to make sense of this bunch of info and I found a lot of people discussing about it, but never with a definite conclusion. Do you know if there is an official interpretation by GW? Or at least how they play it in important tournaments?  scratch

Then we can talk about the best way of using "fast travel"  Wink
elugin
elugin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 368
Army : Gray Knights, Orks, Biel-Tan and the Court of the Young King, plus High Elves for Fantasy fans...
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Deep strike, Gate, and more tricks for fast travel Empty Re: Deep strike, Gate, and more tricks for fast travel

Post by rurik Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:38 pm

This is a very good "compendium" of rules and interpretations,
as you describe, some rules only apply to DSR, while the others that affects DS also affects DSR.

So, with this knowledge, we can do a precisely Strike.

Furthermore, i would like to add some usefull information about DSR distances and probabilities.

DSR is resolved with two D6, so this are the maths.

Deep strike, Gate, and more tricks for fast travel DeepStrikePattern1

So we have a higher chance to get between 5-9" away if we don't get a "HIT" on the scatter dice (remember we have 1/6 probabilities to get HIT).

What i do is to divide this template into four sections, then evaluate what section has more threat. if is too much risky, move the template to another position.

another chart:
Deep strike, Gate, and more tricks for fast travel Dicetotals

Hope this helps.

rurik
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-07-13

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Deep strike, Gate, and more tricks for fast travel Empty Re: Deep strike, Gate, and more tricks for fast travel

Post by elugin Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Nice chart, I was thinking in terms of cumulative probability of being landing below a given distance, but probably splitting it in three bands it's better.

Just one correction: the chances of a HIT are 1/3 (you have 2 sides with the hit). So, to summarize you plot, you have 1/3 chances of a hit, 1/18 chances of landing between 2" and 4", 4/9 chances of landing between 5" and 9", 1/18 chances of landing between 10" and 12". I probably should check for places 8~9" away from risk.
elugin
elugin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 368
Army : Gray Knights, Orks, Biel-Tan and the Court of the Young King, plus High Elves for Fantasy fans...
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by rurik Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:46 am

Oh, you're right . it's 1/3 I didn't have my scattrer dice at hand.

rurik
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-07-13

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by meecham63 Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:52 am

Nice work Smile It's intersting to know the higher probability of scatter distance before choosing the DS targets.
meecham63
meecham63
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 125
Army : Chaos Space Marines, Tyranids and Grey Knights
Registration date : 2013-04-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:31 am

Gah, looking at that makes me want to reconsider my general tactics. Never tell me the odds. Crying or Very sad
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:10 am

Great work on graphs thanks.

My 2 cents is this, we have one of two possibilities:
1) GoI is deep strike so you can benefit from beacons, skulls, and mystics and suffer pros and cons of DS rules
or
2) GoI is not deep strike, so beacons, skulls, and mystics do not work which means we can assault after we GoI as it is not deep strike as we are not restricted like DS is.

In short you can't pick and choose which parts of deep strike effect GoI its all or nothing so offer both to your opponent and let them decide I will take either to be honest.
Spartan
Spartan
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 319
Location : Hunting down and destroying daemonic taint wherever it may be found.
Army : Pure Grey Knights and thats Grey Knights Only
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down