Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tournament: Grey Knights vs Chaos Battle Report

+2
Zealadin
Nausaden
6 posters

Go down

Tournament: Grey Knights vs Chaos Battle Report Empty Tournament: Grey Knights vs Chaos Battle Report

Post by Nausaden Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:47 pm

During the past month, my local GamesWorkshop has been holding a long 1000 point Campaign tourney. The goal was to go across a large map, claiming territories on the way to the center of the board, which stood a large ruined city. The first person to traverse the map, reach the city, and hold it against one enemy would claim victory. Each square forward meant you had to face an opponent and be victorious to claim said territory.

Each Saturday we would hold the continuing campaign games. I challenged many opponents, Guardsmen,Tau, Necrons, Space Wolves, and many other Space Marines were on the list of enemy's I played, and I had not yet lost a single game. The Grey Knights were gaining quite the reputation around the store. But out of all of them, the enemy I had been long awaiting and preparing to meet throughout the many long weeks was my good friend and rival, who played a nasty Chaos List. Finally, we were matched against each other, both of us long prepared to cut the other to pieces.

His 1000 point list looked something like this

HQ
Buffed up Daemon Prince with Wings
Kharn the Betrayer

Troops: 2 full squads of buffed up Berzekers, with plasma pistols

Defiler with Battle Cannon

His list had a variety of really nasty wargear, and I only had to glance to see that he was intending on closing whatever gape lay between his Berzerkers and my Knights and get right into the fray. He had been playing since I had, and similarly he had lost no games in this tourney that we had both been climbing. It was the defining moment of the tournament for both of us.

My own 1000 point list resembled this

HQ
Grandmaster Nero w/Icon of the just, Sacred incense, Master crafting on NF weapon, and a Psycannon
Retinue: 4 Grey Knight Terminators, one with Incinerator

Troops: Squad Naus
Justicar Naus w/Artificer armor and Targeter
4 GKPA
2 Psycannons

Squad Lucero
Justicar Lucero w/Articer armor and Targeter
4 GKPA
2 Psycannons

Grey Knight Dreadknought Crux w/Twin linked lascannons, Hunter Killer missile, and missile thingy.

The battle took place in a ruined city with a multitude of craters from an earlier war. The game was normal Annihilation, and we rolled off to see who went first. He won; but I stole the initiative which presented a good omen for the forces of the Inquisition.

Turn I
Grey Knights
Starting 6 inches from the board edge, Squad Naus sprinted forward, and running up into a large partially ruined building. It granted them a lot of nice cover, and better yet a brilliant line of sight over the desolate city. Lucero's squad split themselves off, moving into a large crater that was further up to the right. Crux himself moved further up, now between both Grey Knight squads. Using his twin linked Lascannons, he attempted to take a shot at the Defiler. However, it was just out of range, hiding 50% of itself behind a building. Likewise, the two squads of Berzerkers where behind various buildings, Kharn joined to one. His Daemon Prince was held off in reserves, as was Nero and his Terminators. With nothing left to do, my turn ended.

Chaos

My rival spared no time, and repeated his basic tactic by splitting Kharns squad and the other squad of Berzerkers up along a fork in the road. They both ran through abandoned city, Kharn heading for Lucero's squad which had taken point in the crater. The other squad of Berzerkers went for Squad Naus, running them into a crater for better cover. His Defiler took aim at Squad Lucero with its ridiculous battle cannon, and attempted to fire at the crater. However, the shrouding finally proved its usefulness, and he was out of range to bombard them with that terrifying cannon. With his troops now covering the majority of land between them and my Knights, his turn ended.

Turn II
Grey Knights
I rolled for my Grandmaster to deepstrike, but failed it. It would prove fortunate that they didnt drop down yet, as they perform best when s*** hits the fan. My troops for the most part moved into position, I began by moving Crux up and further to the right. Seeing that his damned Defiler was hidden 50% by the building, I decided to focus on the Berzerkers that were just out of reach of my Knights. Squad Naus, from within the building, started by unloading on the nearing squad that had taken shelter in the Crater. 6 Strength shots went out from the Psycannons, missing only 2 of their anti daemon blows. Stormbolters also proved well within range and proceeded to rain down on the traitors. Sadly, 3 up armor saves saw that only a few fell.

Squad Lucero took point, unloading a similar volley of blows onto Kharns squad. More warriors fell, but it didn't seem to bother my rival much. Still, it would make getting to Kharn easier. Crux fired off his Twin linked lascannon, annihilating a Berzerker from Kharns squad instantaneously. Disappointed that I hadn't gained better results, I ended my turn.

Chaos
Rolling for his Daemon Prince, the damned Daemon failed to rip through the warp just yet. He proceeded to rush both squads even closer, running the squad from the crater and coming just below the building that Naus and his squad held. Kharn on the other hand moved forward yet again, and was now much closer to the crater that harbored Lucero's Knights,and even more after running them. The would be within range to assault me by the next turn, as would the other squad of Berzerkers. His Defiler attempted another Battle cannon on my DreadKnought, passing the shrouding but he ended up missing it entirely thanks to scattering of his large blast template. His last turn of running over, he ended off turn 3.

III
Grey Knights
Things were going to get dicey; I knew that when Kharn assaulted he would brutalize Lucero's squad, and it wouldn't look good with the other squad on the charge. Worse yet, that battle cannon was constantly lingering over my Grey Knight's heads, and if it did successful get a hit Str 10 AP 2 would end things very quickly for whomever got nailed with it. Plus, that Daemon Prince wouldn't take much longer to come in, and he would almost certainly jump Naus or my Grey Knight Dreadknought Crux. I mulled this over, and rolled for reserves again, and narrowly failing. My Grandmaster wasn't in now; which meant my Knights would have to hold for themselves for another turn.

With the two Berzerker squads nearby, there was no way I'd allow them to gain the charge. Squad Naus skidded down the ruined building, now even closer. Lucero held ground; I needed to get off their shots and pray the crater would slow down Kharn so I'd get one more turn. Crux moved further to the right, now obscured so that the battle cannon wouldn't nail him and that he'd have a clearer shot at Kharn and his squad.

Naus unloaded everything his troops had, and a far more favorable result occurred. When all was said and done, his Berzerkers NOW numbered to 7, the exact same number of Squad Naus. It would be a fair fight now. Crux Fired another lascannon, bringing Kharns squad down by one more member. Lucero ordered his Psycannons and storm bolters to fire at Kharn; but sadly only a few more Berzerkers bit it. They were out of range to do anything else, and so now it was my Assault phase with Naus.

Naus charged in, and 3 power weapon blows went from both sets of soldiers; but Str 6 proved an awesome advantage, cutting down 3 Berzerkers right off the bat. The fight was fierce, and I lost two Grey Knights in it, but only the Berzerker squad sergeant survived after all the armor saves for losing combat had been dealt with *As Berzerkers are also fearless*. Satisfied, I had to end my turn, praying the Emperor saw my warriors through the upcoming hail of attacks.

Chaos
He rolled for his reserves; and voila his Daemon Prince ripped free of the warp. It attempted to get behind Squad Lucero, near my dreadknought, but scattered further off in the opposite direction only to land safely. Not close enough to do anything in particular, but still a threat. Infuriated that I had felled almost an entire squad of Berzerkers with minimal losses, he began moving his Defiler out of cover over the large ruined city,attempting to move it up, an effort to ensure he didn't fail the shrouding. He couldn't move or assault with his prince, so he ended up just sitting there looking angry. Little did he realize, that's exactly what I wanted him to do. Move his backed up units in time for me to strike them down after I dealt with the troops in my face. Kharn moved up, directly next to the crater. He had them fire off their 3 plasma pistols, 1 exploding in a Berzerkers hand *He made his save*. 1 of the plasma shots took down a Grey Knight warrior. Another battle cannon rained down, this time after Squad Naus; passing shrouding but AGAIN scattering off into another destroyed building.

Now it was down to my rivals favorite phase; Assault. Kharn assaulted through the crater, rolling and making it into the assault to my dismay, worse since he carried grenades. Kharn strikeing first, he annihilated most of my squad, his Berzekers slashing down all but Justicar Lucero who passed the remaining 2+ armor saves. His squad slain, Lucero delivered 3 power halberd slashes, 1 of them cutting down a Berzerker. Since he lost combat, he had to perform armor saves for his fallen brethren, finally falling to them *Damned 1's, I always roll them...* Kharn consolidated 1 inch in the crater, giving me a smirk.

Turn IV
Grey Knights

I prayed that the Emperor would shine on my Grey Knight Terminators; and low and behold they finally came in, deep striking on target directly next to Kharns squad within the crater. My Dreadknought moved further back, now behind my Grandmaster and his retinue. Shooting Phase time; I started things off with a bang; Crux firing off his twin linked lascannon at the Defiler. I missed, but thank the Emperor for twin linked, hitting it and rolling a 6. Crux obliterated the Defiler in a single blow, ending its advance through the destroyed city. It exploded, but the radius wasn't near any troops. I like to imagine more buildings collapsed due to its glorious death.

With my big guns done, my Grandmaster's Incinerator Terminator laid flames on the Berzerkers within the crater, the fires also hitting Nero *I made bad placement for them*. My Grandmaster easily passed his armor save, but a Berzerker was not as lucky and burned to death. Nero fired his Psycannon, and with a BS5 he killed off another Berzerker. His retinue of Terminators unloaded their Stormbolters, felling more, leaving now just Kharn and two Berzerkers. Naus proved within range of Psycannons, which managed to give Kharn a wound, but the other shots were blocked by power armor. With all my shooting and movement done, I ended my turn. I intended to end things on my next turn, and knowing the game was going to be over soon I goaded Kharn to assault my Terminators.

Chaos
Seeing the end in sight, he had to make a choice: Run cowardly away and try to prevent me from sweeping him up, or put his metal against mine. I could see the fear of what my Grandmaster would do to Kharn; but being in heavy terrain he knew he might not avoid me. If I caught him, he'd have no chance. So, he moved forward with them and his Prince, the Daemon out of range to attack my Dreadknought in an assault. Shooting phase, Kharn and his squad unloaded plasma pistol fire on my Terminators, one getting in. I placed it on my Grandmaster, whose invulnerable save of 4+ saved me from a nasty wound. Shooting done, Kharn charged, jumping out of the crater with his few remaining troops. Sacred incense lowered their advantage of furious charge, striking at the same time.

My Grandmaster activated Holy relic; adding an attack to each warrior. I wanted to ensure the death of the cursed traitors, namely the overpowered Kharn. Nero cut through, missing a single blow that I got to re-roll and make.5 Nemesis force weapon blows impaled the remaining Berzerkers, against Kharn it was argued it would only count as a power weapon.We rolled off, and he rolled higher so that was the end of that. Still, Kharn took the slashes, a single wound left on him *his invuln save is just terrible Very Happy*. His attacks came through now; wounding my Grandmaster and killing a Grey Knight Terminator in the fray. But the rest of my GKT's smited Kharn, ending his wretched existence once and and for all. I had them consolidate, now closer to the final foul Chaos spawn, the Daemon Prince. The creature that I had yearned to slay since I started this army. And now, it was my turn.

Turn V
Grey Knights
My friend and rival looked in annoyance and dismay, his bloodthirsty warriors dead in craters, his beloved Defiler strewn in ruins, and my Grandmaster with his sights on his Daemon Prince.

Moving my Grandmaster forward, now within assault range of the Daemon prince. Crux also moved himself closer and to the side, Squad Naus staying put. Nero and his retinue unloaded Psycannon, Incinerator, and stormbolter fire onto the prince, giving him a wound. Naus fired his psycannons, rearing another wound. Crux fired his lascannon, but the Prince made his invulnerable amazingly. But I preferred it this way, I knew it had to end by my Grandmaster.

Nero and his holy retinue assaulted the Daemon; and my Grandmaster single handedly brought down the Prince with his blade, Sacred incense preventing the Prince from even getting a chance to strike back. And thus, it was not even banished to the warp, but erased from all existence thanks to Nero's NFW blade. The game ended, and we shook, the ruined city a testament to yet another hard fought battle. I had lost all of Lucero; but had vanquished the Daemon Prince, Kharn, and numerous Berzerkers and their Defiler. We could certainly call it a win, and my nervousness about facing Chaos was like wise vanquished.

The tournament went one last week; Chaos was unable to catch up and make it to the city before the Grey Knights, whom would face one more battle against the Necrons and send them back from whence they came. This ended the long campaign; with a victory for the Grey Knights at last!

Sorry that it was so long, and worse since I was unable to secure any pictures for this battle report. I probably forgot a few details, but that should be the jist of it. With that campaign over, we have started a new one, and its looking good.1500-2000 points this time, and I look forward to using my new Landraider *a prize, from the tournament* and maybe getting some stormtroopers.

I hope you all have enjoyed this at least half as much as I have enjoyed reading the numerous reports on the forums. Please let me know what you think, and any tips you can offer! *After all, it was thanks to your advice in the first place that gave me the knowledge of defeating Chaos and using my Knights to the best of their ability* I am going to write a report of a terrifying Genestealer army I had to face after wards, against my dear friend and mentor *a real vet, if I ever met one*.

Last edited by Nausaden on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Tournament: Grey Knights vs Chaos Battle Report Empty Re: Tournament: Grey Knights vs Chaos Battle Report

Post by Zealadin Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:12 pm

Hey awesome batrep that sounded really epic! Great to see you where the victor, I have to admit your list is pretty small and I had my doubts but you obviously played amazingly well!

Just out of interest, does the revealed once per 'battle' for the holy relic mean you can use it several times in different assaults? I always assumed it was once per game, but it would say that if that where the case Razz
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Tournament: Grey Knights vs Chaos Battle Report Empty Re: Tournament: Grey Knights vs Chaos Battle Report

Post by Nausaden Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:18 pm

^__^ Thank you so much Brother Zealadin; very glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, having so few units made the Berzerkers seem much more intimidating; but it did let me really control my units more easily. The ruins and craters were really nice for me this game; on another field of battle things may not have gone so well.

As for Holy relic; I think it may be used once per game. I know I used it against Kharn, but I must have accidentally thought I had used it on the Prince as well, *Edited post* I wish I could use it more; I am also unsure if my entire army gets a bonus attack or just the squad of the Hero using it.

Last edited by Nausaden on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mispelling)
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:54 am

Great batrep Brother Nausaden! I really enjoyed reading it Very Happy
You really did us proud! Congratulations!

The holy relic can be revealed only once per battle. All models in the daemonhunter's army within 2D6" gain 1 extra attack.
The model revealing it cannot move or have moved in the same turn of revealing it. Which brings an interesting point...units that deepstrike are counted as having moved in their movement phase for the purpose of shooting (i.e. SM w/ heavy weapon won't be able to fire, FAGK w/ psycannon can fire up to 18", etc), would this rule apply to revealing the holy relic as well? scratch
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amareo Davion Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:03 am

Great Job. Those heretics got what they deserved.
Amareo Davion
Amareo Davion
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 144
Army : Space Marines
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Well done Brother Naus and congrats on both the battle and campaign win. I'm very impressed. Remember though that Dreads do not benefit from the Shrouding. You've definitely done the Grey Knights proud. Smile And very well-done batrep I might add.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:02 pm

You bestow much on me Brothers; it was my honor to do you all proud. With so few Grey Knight players, its always a nice shock to the community when a Grey Knight player fights his way to the top. It was only icing on the cake that I was able to destroy the forces of Chaos as well as those seduced by its lies.

Brother Rivan brings up a good point; I'd assume that since our guys wont be able to assault after deep striking anyway that we'd get to use it on our opponents turn *assuming they assault us*. Does deepstrike really count as our movement phase? That'd be a nasty exploitation of the rules for sure >_<
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Nausaden wrote:Brother Rivan brings up a good point; I'd assume that since our guys wont be able to assault after deep striking anyway that we'd get to use it on our opponents turn *assuming they assault us*. Does deepstrike really count as our movement phase? That'd be a nasty exploitation of the rules for sure >_<

I'm not sure if the actual deepstriking counts as movement. All I know is that any unit that deepstrikes cannot move or assault in the turn that they deepstrike (unless they have specific rules that override this universal rule). And in the shooting phase, the unit can shoot or run, but will count as having moved for the purpose of shooting. Technically we didn't move, so I'm not sure if it applies to the holy relic. Personally, I loved the way you used it. I can totally see the value of the 30 pts when holy relic is used at the right time in the game that can totally change the outcome Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:46 am

Hmm the rule isn't very well thought out, since if you use it in your opponents round you won't have moved unless your fleeing/consolidating
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:40 am

Aye Brother Rivan, and that extra attack is a really nice boost when your facing mobs and stuff you really want dead, especially when you cant move anyway Razz With 5 NFW attacks that I can re-roll one of from the Grandmaster *and sacred incense, haha chaos* its a pretty much insta kill.

On another note, I also enjoy deepstriking my Grandmaster right next to a squad of say, Harlequins or something to that effect. The reason being, although they don't get to assault, they DO get to shoot with an incinerator AND drop a Holocaust at the end of the assault phase without even being in contact. I've used it so much to get behind guard flanks and exterminate large groups, forcing the other player to divide fire up upon my advancing troops and my HQ that's cutting him down from behind.

Actually Brothers, I had a game the other day against Orks, were I loaded my Landraider up *for the first time, may I add Very Happy* with my HQ and Terminators. Ork swarms and bikes were coming up and some kind of truck thing. What went down was I moved up the full 12 inches with it, disembarked Terminators out which had a really nice shot into a bunker filled with Orks. So, I incinerated the poor fools and they didn't have a chance. Then my Landraider used its twin linked las cannon and assault cannon to shred up bikers, trucks, etc. My two squads of PAGK's with psycannons garrisoned themselves and picked off ork after ork, and their leader tried to take down my Grandmaster only to find that power claws initiative 1 is horrid Razz

The result of the match was 0 dead Grey Knights, and 1 wound on my Grandmaster. He lost every ork however XD
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Wow, that would be what can be called a "shut out" in baseball, yes? Awesome!!!

Uh, did you mean twin linked lascannon and heavy bolter? Or hurricane bolters and assault cannon? Not sure if you were using a LR or LRC (or a hybrid LOL) Razz
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Exactly Rivan! Very Happy

I was using a normal Land Raider, sporting two twin linked lascannons and an assault cannon. Now a hybrid of LR and LRC? Range AND super awesome anti infantry fire power? Very Happy Makes me grin just thinking of it.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Uh, still a little confused here scratch

You were using a normal LR so you probably meant heavy bolter instead of an assault cannon right? The crusaders are the ones w/ assault cannons. Just verifying... Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Aaaaaah, my mistake Brother Rivan! I was told that I could use a it as a weapon with 8 str, 4 shots, and I think the name was assault cannon.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:50 pm

I see...well, just fyi...

heavy bolter S5 36" heavy3
assault cannon S6 24" heavy4 rending (the SM version anyway)
Our codex says our assault cannon is only heavy3 Sad
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by VindicareAssassin Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:18 pm

a psycannon maybe? but the four shots... i don't have my codex handy but psycannons have three shots right?
VindicareAssassin
VindicareAssassin
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 94
Army : Grey Knights/Daemonhunters and Dragon Guard
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Gah; I was using the Space Marine Assault thing then! Darn....we seem to get pretty shafted when it comes to weapons, huh? Our NFW's are sweet as are the Psycannons but we still get outclassed by plain space marine gear...
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by VindicareAssassin Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 pm

im still not following but YES. yes we do in some cases.
VindicareAssassin
VindicareAssassin
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 94
Army : Grey Knights/Daemonhunters and Dragon Guard
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:05 am

Ok, so I'm totally confused now... scratch

@Brother Nausaden: Were you using a standard godhammer pattern land raider? If so, it has a twin linked heavy bolter and not a twin linked assault cannon.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 am

Nausaden wrote:Exactly Rivan! Very Happy

I was using a normal Land Raider, sporting two twin linked lascannons and an assault cannon. Now a hybrid of LR and LRC? Range AND super awesome anti infantry fire power? Very Happy Makes me grin just thinking of it.

A LR has a TLLC on each side, and a twin linked heavy bolter on the hull. (NO AC)

A LRC has two hurricane pattern bolters, a twin linked assault cannon and a multimelta. (No TWLC's)
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down