Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DOW I or DOW II

+11
justicar123
Nausaden
DarkRonin
Ecideus
Primarch
Hinti
Aeddon
Brother Ezekiel
Klomster
n00bk1ng
SandMarauder
15 posters

Go down

DOW I or DOW II Empty DOW I or DOW II

Post by SandMarauder Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:11 pm

I have played both demos, I am leaning towards 1. Can anyone offer some comments

SandMarauder
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-07-04

Back to top Go down

DOW I or DOW II Empty Re: DOW I or DOW II

Post by n00bk1ng Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:08 pm

Well, if you want epic all out conflicts and something more reminiscent of a real RTS(eg, C&C/Red Alert/Starcraft), DoW 1 is the way to go.

However, if you want fast-paced action, intense storyline, more multi-tasking and something more like DotA, DoW 2 can't go wrong.

I've played both and still prefer DoW1 for suitable epicness, I do warn you though, massed ranks of Imperial guard mess everyone's days up(1 basic squad can come in at 13 men and up to 5 plasma guns(Dark Crusade/Soulstrom) that slice through Marines like a hot knife through butter(flamers and blast weapons make them crap their pants however). You'll end up playing several races to find out your preferred playstyle however(Mine is spamming cannon fodder and big tanks-IG)
n00bk1ng
n00bk1ng
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 161
Army : Crimson Fists, Daemon Hunters and a Small Tau Detachment
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:45 am

In my opinion, DOW 1 is better.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Ezekiel Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:33 pm

I have to agree with our crazy Klomster here.DOW 2 didn't really cut it for me.
Brother Ezekiel
Brother Ezekiel
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 691
Location : Segmentum Obscurus,Battle Barge Immolative Onslaught
Army : White Raven Space Marines 5th Company and the new Bloodoathed Chaos Space Marines,also Empire General Rainer 'Cursebreaker' 'Dwarf-helper' Raukovs independent 18th army of Nuln
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeddon Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Of course there is the Daemonhunt mod for DOW 1. Anyone else play the hel out of that one?
Aeddon
Aeddon
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hinti Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:07 am

DH Mod for DOW1?? Sound new to me....as far as i Know der was an WH Mod (before Soulstorm)......but DH??
Link?
Hinti
Hinti
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Primarch Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:35 am

My problem with DOW 2 is that it tries to be like company of heroes (my fav. RTS) and DOW 1 at the same time... and fails at both.

DOW 1 is far superior to DOW 2 (asside from some balance issues). What would have made DOW 2 really great was if it properly included the aspects of CoH. A quick comparison shows:
- Visually CoH looks better than DoW2 and runs better
- CoH has far more unit variety than DoW2 (CoH has light vehicles, why doesn't DoW have landspeeders, jetbikes, bike squads?)
- You can field far more units in CoH than DOW2
- CoH scales the pop cap according to the size of the map
- Tanks play like tanks and infantry play like infantry
- Cover is more varied and buildings are far more interesting and useful
- CoH is tactically far more advanced
- In CoH you can still come back even if all your units have been destroyed.
- CoH has well designed and interesting large maps, lots of destructable terrain and terrain scaring, why isn't this in DoW2 Evil or Very Mad
- etc etc.

My biggest issue is that Relic produced one of, if not the best RTS of all time (CoH) and released a completely half a**ed game that broke all the features that made CoH good and chucked out half of the units featured in DoW. DoW2 was on the same scale of disappointment to me as Far Cry 2. I was expecting a game that would feel like a great amount of effort had been poured into it but was ultimately disappointed No

So in conclusion to my rant, Dawn of War 1 destroys Dawn of War 2.

Edit: I have played the DH mod for DoW1 and was incredibly disappointed. The mod quality was absolutely fantastic but it suffered from really poor balancing. Essentially DH were so weak that it is almost impossible to win. But my criticisms of mod balance are another story... Razz

Last edited by Primarch on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Primarch
Primarch
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 461
Army : Grey Knights and a souless legion (crons)
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ecideus Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:59 am

Some fairly scathing stuff there, but I am glad because I was considering the purchase of DoW2, glad I haven't yet!!!
Ecideus
Ecideus
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 67
Army : Orks, but have repented for my sins and have joined the Grey Knights!!!
Registration date : 2009-09-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:46 am

My own opinion of DOW2 is that its a very enjoyable game. I even had lots of fun back in the beta, but my amusement is probably due to the fact that I've had buddies to play 2v2 or 3v3 games all the time.

Honestly, I agree with you on a few points Primarch. DOW2 does suffer from a serious lack of units, each of the three non-tyranid races have the same type of vehicles, walker, trasport, and a tank. Even the buildings are a bit wacky in how they work. If you toss a grenade onto a building and the person clicks exit building immediately, they take no damage from the grenade despite it blowing as they are still exiting.

I can go on as well for a while, but it doesn't change the fact that I've enjoyed the game. Most annoying tactic that I've never seen anyone else do is farsight with the farseer and place a webway then unleash the Seer Council on the rear of the base. They rip bases up given that they have 1-2 minutes to do it on there own. But now a group of Lictors (non-HQ) can just as easily destroy a base a lot more swiftly then most other units.

And as of the last two weeks (?) a new game mode came out, Last Stand. It pits three players against wave after wave of units until they reach wave 20. Down side here is that your stuck with only Space Marine, Eldar, and Ork (Only 3 classes overall), but the amount of wargear you can wear and how it affects each hero is interesting to say the least.

Also, doesn't anyone else get the feeling that the game could easily support more players like it did in DOW1 (Whats with the observers of all things). Even in the world builder it says that there are two extra player assignments (Players 7 and Cool. I can't tell you how many times that my buddies are put off by not being on the same team (About 4-6 players at a time and we're forced to battle each other just to play the game together like we used to in DOW1).
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeddon Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:32 am

Is anyone here interested in forming a group on steam for playing DoW II? I've been playing a lot of Last Stand lately and it'd be great to play with people from here. If anyone is interested my handle is Aeddon82.
Aeddon
Aeddon
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:53 pm

I might be interested Brother Aeddon; I JUST got it about a week ago, finishing the campaign last night Very Happy Very good. I have played a bit of last stand as well, my gamertags Nausadun.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by justicar123 Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:28 pm

Aeddon wrote:Of course there is the Daemonhunt mod for DOW 1. Anyone else play the hel out of that one?

Its that mod or firestorm over kronus
justicar123
justicar123
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Army : Grey Knights, BA, IG, Necron, Chaos
Registration date : 2009-12-13

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:42 pm

The Daemon hunter mod for DOW Soulstorm LOOKS good, but in terms of balance *AND VOICE ACTING, SHEESH!* it fails in a multitude of ways. It can be nice to run about with the GK hero though and kill stuff. Daemons are coming to DoW II, so that's were I am going to be. Someone needs to banish them back to the hellish warp!!!
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:46 pm

Well, there are technically Daemons in DOW2 without the expansion. But the major Daemon that has been there since the release of the game has always been the Avatar of Khaine.

And with the release of the Last Stand mode...

Has anyone here made it to Wave 20 in Last Stand mode and/or beat it?

I've made it, and nearly beat with my friends, but it sucked since one of them, their screen literally glitched on them at that point. More or less being the main reason why we failed Epically.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:08 am

Dawn Of War: Dark Crusade was the best IMO cause you didn't have to do each level from scratch when an enemy attacked a region you'd won previously.

Setting up five million tarantula heavy bolters and missiles just outside where the enemy always set up his base took much of the hassle out of defending these missions, and allowed you to get ready to take on the new regions and challenges.
Soulstorm took this ability away, and more's the pity.

The Original DOW (Blood Ravens on Tartarus) remains one of the most fun WH40k games of the lot.

DOW II is a completely different kettle of fish. It requires a lot more tactical thought instead of strategic, and therefore may not suit those who like Medieval: Total War over Gears of War for example.
Having said that, there's nothing quite so fun as getting your whole squad in terminator armour and watching as they go rampaging through the enemy like hot knives through butter.

I still like the five million terminators option you could get in DOW 1 though...
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tophawtdog4411 Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 am

buy dark crusade

download firestorm over kronus

laugh at the people who play DOWII and starcraft II
Tophawtdog4411
Tophawtdog4411
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by rogueuk Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:34 pm

hi i just bought DoW II and i have to say the graphics are good but the whole thing game wise isnt that great
i especially hated the whole thing to play have to be online
rogueuk
rogueuk
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 361
Army : tau, chaos marines, daemon hunters
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by GMKDynamis Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 am

It seems another way of control and monitoring. It also sucks when the site is down.
GMKDynamis
GMKDynamis
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 508
Army : Grey knights, Inquisition, Flesh Tearers
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by rogueuk Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:56 pm